Forums > Model Colloquy > What is the normal for models hips?

Model

Savvy O

New York, New York, US

The Michael Freeby wrote:
My hips are 32"!!!!!

My bust is 32" smile

Mar 31 08 12:20 am Link

Model

Kaeti

Olympia, Washington, US

theda wrote:

Are you sure your hips are only 32 inches? 32 is incredibly tiny for an adult woman's hips. A measurement like that would mean you have a very flat ass or a very narrow pelvis, neither or which looks to be the case from your photos.  I'm only slightly taller than you and the last time my hips saw 32", i was well under 100lbs.

But please, do name these glamour photographers looking for hips art least as small as required in high fashion.

32" at the bone, I'm assuming.  I'm using her waist (26") as a reference point.

Mar 31 08 12:46 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Dixie Lux wrote:

Hip measurement should be at the biggest part of your butt. Not at your hipbones.

Mar 31 08 12:51 am Link

Model

Kaeti

Olympia, Washington, US

IrisSwope wrote:

Hip measurement should be at the biggest part of your butt. Not at your hipbones.

Please read my earlier post.  I'm aware of that.

Mar 31 08 12:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

LillMiss

Columbus, Ohio, US

I need to find a measuring tape.  I think I have it all wrong!  Crazy.  Does anyone remember when people used to say the perfect size was 36-24-36?

Mar 31 08 01:04 am Link

Model

Fae Lynn

Methuen, Massachusetts, US

LillMiss wrote:
I need to find a measuring tape.  I think I have it all wrong!  Crazy.  Does anyone remember when people used to say the perfect size was 36-24-36?

36-24-36 was used as lyrics in a Ludacris song to describe his perfect woman. thats all that I know.

The last time I was a 32" hip was before puberty. Bust 38" (without bra), Waist 32", and Hips 43". Now I have to go change my profile because I measured myself incorrectly the first time, I measured at the bone. I guess I have a big but, haha.

Dec 06 12 06:22 am Link

Model

Goodbye4

Los Angeles, California, US

For fashion llamaing "normal" is 34, give or take 1-2 inches.

Dec 06 12 06:34 am Link

Model

Alixx Rose

Atlanta, Georgia, US

RSM-images wrote:
Bust size is measured across the fullest part of the breasts while wearing an unpadded bra.

or no bra... even an unpadded bra can completely change the shape of your chest

Dec 06 12 07:40 am Link

Model

Loli Scotch

Dallas, Texas, US

Well, damn, now I have to go change all of my listed measurements.  Haha!

I think larger hips are gorgeous; screw the "industry standards."  They don't dictate beauty, they only dictate numbers.

Dec 06 12 01:17 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

For fashion it's 34 ish, but that only matters if you're at very minimum 5'7. Otherswise, normal hip measurement could be anywhere from 32-50. Or something like that.

Dec 06 12 01:51 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

RSM-images wrote:
Bra size is band size (perimeter immediately below the bust) plus a letter in cup size for each inch of greater perimeter of the bust size.

Dec 06 12 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

What is the normal for models hips?

Bigger than what they tell you it is . . . . . (usually)

Dec 06 12 02:30 pm Link

Model

Sabryna S

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

Ugh, I suck at measuring to begin with, so I really would not be surprised if my measurements are off too. That's why I put "*Measurements might be off because I measured myself " in my profile, lol.
Though right now I do modeling as a hobby so I'm not too worried about having the "perfect" size, plus I am only 5'5'', so fashion/high fashion is out of the question for me anyway.

Dec 06 12 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

This might be a finalist for longest thread necromancing. 08? Nice work Fae.

Dec 06 12 04:02 pm Link

Model

Fae Lynn

Methuen, Massachusetts, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
This might be a finalist for longest thread necromancing. 08? Nice work Fae.

thanks big_smile

Dec 06 12 04:18 pm Link

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I have 41" hips  hmm argh, lol. Such is life, I thank my very Latin bloodline, nothing I do makes a difference, lol.

Dec 07 12 02:35 pm Link

Model

Ella Rose Muse

Oxford, England, United Kingdom

My hips are my power. ;-)

(That's what I tell myself.)

Dec 09 12 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I don't know, but you look great to me!

Dec 09 12 10:18 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

hips are measured at the widest part. for different people it's at different places. for hips, measure yourself at different places at your hips and take the biggest one...

Dec 09 12 11:17 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

LillMiss wrote:

It's still like that (well, 34-24-34). And more and more we're seeing fashion models that are even smaller, like 32-23-32

Dec 09 12 11:19 am Link

Model

Miss Tattoo

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

entirely depends on the shoot! x

Dec 09 12 11:26 am Link

Model

Jane Smithly

Crowley, Texas, US

I'm actually pretty ok with my measurements: 41-30-40 big_smile

Dec 09 12 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Eurocat wrote:

Dec 09 12 04:22 pm Link

Model

Clarissa Clearwater

Goyty, Chechnya, Russia

"Standard" measurements now average at 35-25-35. Note that I said average. What a designer wants differs from person to person. So you could have a designer that WANTS a woman with hips.

There are different places to measure. Unless specifically asked, I give a designer/costumer my bust, band width, waist, natural hip, and fullest hip. Which respectively are 35-28-25-35-38.

The "fullest part of your hip" that people keep mentioning isn't actually your real hip bone. That measurement is taken around the greater trochanter of your femur (or thigh bone), which happens to also be the fullest part of your butt.

Dec 10 12 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

name removed3

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Rhian Alise wrote:
I have 37 inch hips as well. ANNDDD I am 8 inches shorter than you. I used to like my hips until I realized that lol...

I love curves and hips

love them buns Hun!

Dec 11 12 05:32 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Storm Jones wrote:
The "fullest part of your hip" that people keep mentioning isn't actually your real hip bone. That measurement is taken around the greater trochanter of your femur (or thigh bone), which happens to also be the fullest part of your butt.

different people have different bodies, and thus also different butt types. so the biggest part of the hip is not at the same place for everyone.

Dec 11 12 06:19 am Link

Model

Chrissy Marie

Kaeti wrote:

My hips are only 33" with 24" waist so I don't think 32" would be too uncommon (and no I don't have a flat ass either!)... the measurement under my bust is 28" but around the fullest part of the bust for me is 33" as well. But I have a tiny frame all around (for instance ring size 3.75) Also I didn't look at the height of the girl you were referring to but I'm only 5'5" and between 105 and 110 lbs so that probably makes a difference as well.

Dec 11 12 06:29 am Link

Model

Chrissy Marie

Anna Adrielle wrote:

different people have different bodies, and thus also different butt types. so the biggest part of the hip is not at the same place for everyone.

Well put...the biggest part of my hips for me is about where he said I believe ( I have an anatomy final tomorrow, I should remember the greater trochanter lol damn it) But I can say it is about 4-5 inches below the iliac crest of my hips

Dec 11 12 06:32 am Link

Model

ginger_S

Oh gosh,  my hips are 39 1/2 and I love them. Trying to get that booty to the 40 mark.

Dec 11 12 07:06 pm Link