Forums > Model Colloquy > i feel i have been butchered

Model

Kelsey Marie

Nashville, Tennessee, US

TWOHAWKS Photography wrote:
Has this turned into a critque?  Honestly?  After looking at the OP's PORT...this is not such a bad shot...sure a "lifted boob"...but I think she looks pretty damn good in it.... of course, comparing it with what she already has.    I'm actually sorry you feel the way you do.   But I'm also feeling sorry for him....you may have considered contacting him when he originally did the photo shop and asking him to "tone it down" or something (though, i don't know what you don't like about it...you never stated it).   Photog may be pissed now tho.... I wouldn't blame him.   Did you even TRY to talk to him about fixing your percieved problem before he posted?

Just unanswered questions.... I still think you might have sent the pic to the critique board first before claiming butchery.

Just my 2c

I indeed asked him to tone it down twice.

Apr 08 08 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis2

Dallas, Texas, US

Kelsey Marie  wrote:
He claims he used liquify to shrink the breast because they were to big.

Honestly... who cares what he did to the photo?  Your reimbursement was the cash.  You got it.  Your reimbursement is not a CD of usable images. 

A photographer has every right to take a bad photo (as stated above) and they also have every right to retouch an image however they see fit.  You got paid for doing work.  You are no longer part of the equation.

Apr 08 08 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Domaschuk

Naperville, Illinois, US

Kelsey Marie  wrote:
He claims he used liquify to shrink the breast because they were to big.

As I suppress the first 24 things that come to mind... big_smile

Back to your original question: I think Alan answered it best. If you choose to ask the photographer to remove it, you need to do so very politely (and best if you don't at all).

FWIW, if I was hiring a model and in all her pictures she has large breasts and, in one, she doesn't, then I would assume that the one picture had been heavily edited. A single image would not, and does not, affect my decision to hire a particular model.

Apr 08 08 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

SOL. or return the money. fair is fair.

Apr 08 08 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Baybo

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Rasheedah Greene wrote:
Doesn't look too bad to me

Me either. She should have softened the crease on your side but other than that it looks normal

Apr 08 08 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Baybo

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Kelsey Marie  wrote:

I indeed asked him to tone it down twice.

Tone what down?

Apr 08 08 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Rob Domaschuk wrote:

Ummm... not sure how to put this, and it is not a critique of the model, the photographer, or the photograph...

If Photoshop was not used, then the photographer captured a rare moment when the laws of gravity were not being enforced.

I guess I should have looked a little longer....I was wrong.........lol

Photographer

Feygin Foto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Kelsey Marie  wrote:
How do I tell a photographer who paid me that I hate what he has done to me and I want it taken down.

I am mortified has anyone had this happen and is it really as bad as I think or am I crazy. He took amazing pics but once he has gotten into photoshop I want to cry.

I would tell him to not credit you anywhere. He did spend a lot of time doing this work, and for him to give up all the work, would be horrific, no matter how much it sucks. Sorry sad

Model

Kelsey Marie

Nashville, Tennessee, US

MannyDesalamanca wrote:
This Model Has Tons Of Freckles...... Why Mess With Them ?.... Leave Them Alone and Move On........ This Is not a Scar Or A Tattoo that's easy to Cover...........

By Messing with the Freckles you will make the person look totally warped in a sense........

By The Way I Think Freckles Are Cute....... ;-)

I adore you.

Apr 08 08 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Awesome Headshots

San Ramon, California, US

Kelsey Marie  wrote:

I just don't want people thinking I am 115 pounds when I am 150.

Now that sounds like an oxymoron. Don’t models want to look slimmer in pictures? I’d think you’d be flattered that he some how made you look slimmer that you really are. Or are you looking for a critique? Sorry, but the direction of the thread made me say that big_smile

Apr 08 08 03:56 pm Link

Model

Tia

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Catriona wrote:
I have to wonder how many people would have ended up seeing it, had you not linked it here, vs. how many will now.

That is exactly what I was thinking..

OP, if you have nerve enough to link us all to the picture.. then stop complaining that the photographer has it up.

Apr 08 08 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

MannyDesalamanca

Orlando, Florida, US

Kelsey Marie  wrote:

I adore you.

I suggest Moving On........ And Learning From This Experience..........

Apr 08 08 03:58 pm Link

Model

Rhian Alise

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Agghhhhh, shit like that sucks. hmm

Apr 08 08 03:58 pm Link

Model

Shiea

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Envy wrote:

Her boob is defying gravity. wink

LOL!!! why is it doing that

Apr 08 08 03:59 pm Link

Model

Kymberly Jane

Los Angeles, California, US

Kelsey Marie  wrote:
How do I tell a photographer who paid me that I hate what he has done to me and I want it taken down.

I am mortified has anyone had this happen and is it really as bad as I think or am I crazy. He took amazing pics but once he has gotten into photoshop I want to cry.

sigh.. i get that alot..

you Quietly Airbrush the Small imperfections.. send him a copy and say.. Wow..look..Im working on my airbrush Skills.....Can i post this image??

(try to fix it yourself.. OR ask for the RAW images.... BEG...)

Apr 08 08 03:59 pm Link

Model

Shiea

Washington, District of Columbia, US

BUT it's hot

Apr 08 08 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

NikolasCo

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

You have some legal footing if you either did not sign a release or signed a release that didn't include permission to alter your image.

AMSP's guide:

It used to be said that “the camera cannot lie.” No one says that Photoshop can’t lie, however. Nowadays it is routine to alter colors, morph shapes and assemble scenes by compositing portions that were separately shot. Your release should state that the subject gives permission for this to occur.

There's more info on that page about some other language... Since it's a society for photographers, they're focused on covering the ass behind the lens, but it should give you some idea of what photographers are vulnerable to. Also, if you decide to fight this with the law, you should definitely consult a lawyer. I also recommend keeping copies of correspondence (online or off) and citing sources.

Hopefully a simple request or negotiation will work ...
and I agree that simply moving on, perhaps after a polite request, is probably the best course of action.

Apr 08 08 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Joseph Smileuske

Syracuse, New York, US

Brian Hilson wrote:

Honestly... who cares what he did to the photo?  Your reimbursement was the cash.  You got it.  Your reimbursement is not a CD of usable images. 

A photographer has every right to take a bad photo (as stated above) and they also have every right to retouch an image however they see fit.  You got paid for doing work.  You are no longer part of the equation.

great point

Apr 08 08 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Kyle Marquette Photo

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

pay him his money back!!!!!!!!!

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Kelsey Marie  wrote:

By accepting that paycheck & more importantly, signing that release, you forefeit your right to have a say in how its presented or where for that matter.

Model

Kelsey Marie

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Well fair is fair and actually he was a phenomanal photographer and took extrodinary photos even before photoshop. I guess all I am really upset about is knowing I am not that skinny however I guess we all get paid to be someone we are not. So really I don't guess this is any different thank you for your advice and due to the release I suppose indeed the fault is in fact mine.

Model

Bethany Paquin

New York, New York, US

So have you decided what you're going to do now? There's a lot of different opinions going on about this you'll find some support about your decision...time to solve! Good luck.

Apr 08 08 04:02 pm Link

Model

Kymberly Jane

Los Angeles, California, US

I Loove the Freckles~

But.. the Photo you talk about.. it.. Does Defy  gravity with the Boobies.. he used the tools a bit much.. to where its noticeable.. he should of "plumped up" instead of pulling out.. (boobies are hard to do tho...Im no Expert.... )

Apr 08 08 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

NikolasCo

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Brian Hilson wrote:

As long as they are recognizable and haven't waived their rights, they certainly are part of the equation.

Apr 08 08 04:05 pm Link

Model

Kelsey Marie

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Awesome Headshots wrote:

Now that sounds like an oxymoron. Don’t models want to look slimmer in pictures? I’d think you’d be flattered that he some how made you look slimmer that you really are. Or are you looking for a critique? Sorry, but the direction of the thread made me say that big_smile

Maybe most models want to be slimmer I just want to be me.

Apr 08 08 04:09 pm Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Kelsey Marie  wrote:

Depending on how much it was and how bad and Why the pictures are bad, I would do different things.

I got paid $300 for a really really REALLY tacky shoot once, and the guy was so proud of the pics.  He was small-town enough that I just took the money happily and figured the images made the guy happy and didn't hurt me much.

If the images are that offensive to you, why did you pose for them in the first place?  I guess maybe, to advise, we need more information.

Apr 08 08 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Clearlake Photos

San Jose, California, US

I guess I'm new at all this, but I head off such problems by giving the models a disk with the original unedited photos.  Then I make the edited versions available to them online and they can choose what they want for their portfolios (or edit the originals to suit themselves).

I might change that policy some day, but for now, while I'm doing TF*, it works for me and no model has yet complained.

You were paid.  You apparently gave written permission for the photographer to use your images however he wanted to.

Stamp your feet.  Cry.  Scream and shout.  Rant on MM.  Move on.

Apr 08 08 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You got paid for your time and services . . . what the photographer does with the images afterwards is really none of your business.

You don't have a legal leg to stand on.

KM

Apr 08 08 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis2

Dallas, Texas, US

NikolasCo wrote:
As long as they are recognizable and haven't waived their rights, they certainly are part of the equation.

Let's not turn this into a model vs photographer "who has what rights" debate.  Mmkay? 

She signed a release.  She got paid for the shoot.  We do not know the specifics on the release but it is an easy assumption that is is worded very similarly to 90% of the releases floating around the net.  If that is the case, then she is no longer part of the equation.

Edit: also stated above by Ken.

Apr 08 08 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

I can see why your pissed about this photo shop job. It looks unproportional and pretty much unreal.
Ask him politely to change it.

Apr 08 08 04:15 pm Link

Model

Tia

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Kelsey Marie  wrote:
Maybe most models want to be slimmer I just want to be me.

Totally understandable. I think you are gorgeous. But if you don't like pictures from a paid shoot, it really doesn't matter. Just do trade with people you love who share your vision, and make work you are proud to have in your port. And when you do paid work, forget about the pictures and how they turn out.. move on. What a photographer has in their port doesn't reflect on you as a model.

Apr 08 08 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Domaschuk

Naperville, Illinois, US

MF productions wrote:
I can see why your pissed about this photo shop job. It looks unproportional and pretty much unreal.
Ask him politely to change it.

But what if the purpose of the picture is to be an example of poor editing in a Photoshop book being written by the photographer?

I have no idea if it is (and probably isn't), but as Alan pointed out, if the photographer is happy with the outcome, then there isn't much to do or say about it. It just may fit into his artistic vision or his intended purpose.

Apr 08 08 04:25 pm Link

Model

The Yolo

Harrisonburg, Virginia, US

OK, maybe a little off topic, but I have a question. Would this be considered outing?

Apr 08 08 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Domaschuk

Naperville, Illinois, US

The Yolo wrote:
OK, maybe a little off topic, but I have a question. Would this be considered outing?

I shot with _________ and I didn't like his work.  Probably. However, to be fair to the OP, she posted the link originally to show why she wasn't happy with the image. If not for the photographer's watermark, we may not have known the photographer's name.

There's been a lot of (unsolicited) critiques about the photograph. That's a no-no.

Apr 08 08 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

The Yolo wrote:

Could be.

Apr 08 08 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

REVAN Photography

The Valley, Anguilla, Anguilla

Kymberly Jane wrote:
I Loove the Freckles~

But.. the Photo you talk about.. it.. Does Defy  gravity with the Boobies.. he used the tools a bit much.. to where its noticeable.. he should of "plumped up" instead of pulling out.. (boobies are hard to do tho...Im no Expert.... )

I don't think he pulled, i think he slimmed her torso up and left the breast where it sat before hand, leaving it looking like it is hovering where it once sat on tummy. Which, in a way, leaves her arms looking larger in proportion to her torso.

He probably tried to reduce the bust a little to make it look less gravity-defiant.

Apr 08 08 04:49 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Orixx wrote:

That is exactly what I was thinking..

OP, if you have nerve enough to link us all to the picture.. then stop complaining that the photographer has it up.

Exactly my thoughts.

You brought more attention to it than it probably would of had otherwise. I probably would of never came across it.

I don't get get the logic here. You're upset about that very image, yet you post it for all these people to see?

Apr 08 08 05:02 pm Link

Model

__Zoe__

Canaan, New Hampshire, US

Apr 08 08 05:23 pm Link

Model

__Zoe__

Canaan, New Hampshire, US

Rob Domaschuk wrote:

Ummm... not sure how to put this, and it is not a critique of the model, the photographer, or the photograph...

If Photoshop was not used, then the photographer captured a rare moment when the laws of gravity were not being enforced.

Haha, man, wish I could control gravity. We could get some crazy pictures!

Apr 08 08 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Some Photography

Oakland, California, US

You're kinda out of luck if he refuses.

Legally, he owns the images and can post them if he/she wants.  You can ask him/her to take them down, but its not really your choice (legally).

Its not too far off from your other pictures...so why are you so concerned?  You obviously have strong opinions of which pictures you do and don't like...why can't the photographer?

If you change the image, thats illegal (technically).

I think your only solution is to have him take down the credits.  My friends take shitty pictures of me all the time but I'm not going to go force them to take them down.

Apr 08 08 05:27 pm Link