Forums > Model Colloquy > i feel i have been butchered

Photographer

Some Photography

Oakland, California, US

Criss wrote:
Haha, man, wish I could control gravity. We could get some crazy pictures!

hell yea!

Apr 08 08 05:28 pm Link

Model

Marisa Rojo

Asbury Park, New Jersey, US

MMDesign wrote:
Return the money in exchange for him taking it down.

are you kidding? seriously?
He paid you to work...work you did....
Ask him to remove your name. That is what you would do in this instance. Not give your hard earned money back. ever!

okay I saw the picture.
I think its more of a mental thing where you know its not your body that you are looking at and natrually its going to look over PS'ed to you. I used to be bigger and I too would have taken it personally if I was photoshopped like that. I would have been like "What's wrong with my curves?" It looks alright the boob thing looks a little strange, but remember you don't need to use it in your port so it doesn't really matter, does it?

Apr 08 08 05:32 pm Link

Model

Wednesday Harrington

Portland, Oregon, US

Keep abreast of the quality of work next time BEFORE you accept an assignment?  Sorry, couldn't resist...

if it helps any, i'm a natural 36DD and my boobs have their own sense of gravity too smile

Apr 08 08 05:39 pm Link

Model

Wednesday Harrington

Portland, Oregon, US

also, after looking at your port and your actual figure, you are much fuller figured than this pic implies.  Not sure why he couldn't have embraced your curves, after all, he knew you were fuller figured when he hired you.  Plus, toning down your belly with photoshop but leaving other parts unphotoshopped makes you look disproportionate (he gave you a very teeny midsection but left you with fuller figured thighs/hips... just doesn't look natural).  He would have been doing well to leave it alone...

but, take the money and run, and next time ask for samples or do TFP and ask for shared rights on the release.

Apr 08 08 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This is all nonsense . . .

Just be glad that the photographer didn't photoshop on male genitalia to your photo and sell it as an ad for an adult Transexual Phoneline service on the back pages of Hustler magazine.

It's happened to many models that were unhappy but could do nothing about it

KM

Apr 08 08 05:50 pm Link

Model

OneSolo

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Is this for real? I don't intend to be mean but seriously can you imagine doing a shoot seeing the shot in an ad and then requesting the client not to use it? It's not gonna happen.
A paid shoot is a paid shoot.

Apr 08 08 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

You were hired to model, not to critique another's work.
You have no control over what a photogapher/artists does with the images if you care that much you should not model.

Apr 08 08 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Ok... I may be wrong... but didn't the same OP have this exact same issue a while back?

Apr 08 08 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Lumondo Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Kelsey Marie  wrote:
How do I tell a photographer who paid me that I hate what he has done to me and I want it taken down.

I am mortified has anyone had this happen and is it really as bad as I think or am I crazy. He took amazing pics but once he has gotten into photoshop I want to cry.

What did the model release say? Did you agree to any kind of post-processing? Was there a veto clause?

The photographer is always blamed for bad post-processing, never the model. If you are picky about the look of images from a paid gig, you must negotiate an appropriate release.

Apr 08 08 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Cogito Ergo Zoom

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Kelsey Marie  wrote:
How do I tell a photographer who paid me that I hate what he has done to me and I want it taken down.

I am mortified has anyone had this happen and is it really as bad as I think or am I crazy. He took amazing pics but once he has gotten into photoshop I want to cry.

I feel the same way when models butcher my work as well.

Apr 08 08 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Cogito Ergo Zoom

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:
And if he refuses?

Paid or unpaid, what did the release you signed say? If it granted him the rights that a release usually grants, you're out of luck.

So... what did the release say?

My thoughts are she's AOL, and I ain't talkin' 'bout  an internet service provider. Also SOL.

Apr 08 08 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Curt McClain

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

More free advice (which is usually worth exactly what you paid for it).

I think that this is important because it is what you are looking at right now and that after several more shoots and dozens of pictures that you do like, it will become less and less bothersome. (It's kind of like a bad haircut.)

I would guess that the photographer would understand that you would not want this linked to your site in case it might mislead other photographers as to what you look like.

And as far as those freckles go - I love them. If i had anything to say on the subject, you would be out in the sun naked until you had them head to toe. So, there.

Apr 08 08 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

You want to be a model...suck it up and move on...you need to have your picture taken with stupid hairdo's, crazy clothes, silly faces, all because we as photographers or creative directors think it looks good...

Apr 08 08 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mallow Photography

London, England, United Kingdom

OneSolo wrote:
Is this for real? I don't intend to be mean but seriously can you imagine doing a shoot seeing the shot in an ad and then requesting the client not to use it? It's not gonna happen.
A paid shoot is a paid shoot.

Completely agree. 100%. Besides, nobody would've noticed the picture if you hadn't drawn so much attention to it! Best to just moan about it to your friends/livejournal and move on. This public "OMG LOOK AT THIS" detracts from you MORE than that shot does.

/thread.

Apr 08 08 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

How is this thread still alive?  How many times can we come in and repeat the exact same handful of responses? 

The OP came in and thanked everyone for the advice she was given and hasn't returned yet.

Apr 08 08 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Tamia Lynnette

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

That is a horrible picture, and a terrible photoshop job.  He should have shown you in all your glory, and not tried to photoshop your waist...he obviously doesn't know how to use the program at all.

Since you were paid, you really don't have any right to ask him to pull it down...though you can ask to detach your name from it.

Good luck!

Apr 08 08 07:45 pm Link

Model

Andrea Leigh

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Re-read your release and see if anything mentions the use of your name.

You most likely signed to release the use of the IMAGES to him, not the use of your NAME.

Apr 11 08 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Lippitt

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Kelsey Marie  wrote:

you don't. you got paid.  shhhhhhhh

Apr 11 08 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Living in the public eye is a great thing, huh!

There's not a celebrity in the world who wouldn't like total control over what images appear of them in the press, and how their images and likeness is used when they sell themselves for advertising.

But even the biggest most powerful celebs fail to control everything, and if you're a "D-lister" or worse, forgettaboutit!

You have two choices -- stop selling the rights to use your image, or learn to roll with the punches a little.

Modeling is no place for a control freak, unless you're somebody like Tyra Banks, and even then. . .

Paul

Apr 11 08 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Chick Habit

Columbus, Ohio, US

Don't sweat it, that pic isn't going anywhere where anyone that can make or break you will see it.

Apr 11 08 04:00 pm Link

Model

Margaret Morris

Chicago, Illinois, US

It happens.  It's not the end of the world.  All you can do is refrain from posting them in your port.  S/he can do whatever s/he like with them.  That's how is works.  You could also not work with that photographer again.

Apr 11 08 04:03 pm Link

Model

Stella K

New York, New York, US

Believe it or not, that one shitty photo somewhere on the internet won't affect you much if you stop looking at it. Seriously, I know that feeling, we've all been there, but very few, if any, photographers will think you're horrible b/c of one bad image. What matters is what's in your portfolio and prove you shine when you work w/ right people.

Apr 11 08 04:31 pm Link

Model

Jellokittie

Tampa, Florida, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

Just be glad that the photographer didn't photoshop on male genitalia to your photo and sell it as an ad for an adult Transexual Phoneline service on the back pages of Hustler magazine.

KM

Many releases do state that the photos may not be used in a defamatory manner.

Not that that has anything to do with the OP's situation.

Apr 11 08 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

KM

heehee

Apr 11 08 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

sdsteve

Spokane, Washington, US

Lora Craft wrote:
Well there is that one thing... he paid you. Maybe ask him not to credit you?

winner winner winner

Apr 11 08 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Terry Moody Photography

Gastonia, North Carolina, US

Well I looked at the picture and see nothing wrong with it. Your a beautiful woman.

Apr 11 08 04:57 pm Link

Model

Pumpkin PinUp

Valencia, Valencia, Spain

Catriona wrote:
Seriously. I'm not sure what was more foolish on the OP's part - choosing to work with someone she didn't think would flatter her when she obviously cares a great deal about her image, or choosing to then post a public thread complaining about it, complete with a link to the offending photo.

Yeah I'm quite confused as well... if there was a photo of me I hated you can be sure I wouldn't be linking it anywhere, let alone start a thread to link it hmm

Apr 11 08 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Delightful Machinations

Tucson, Arizona, US

I had a model ask me to re-edit a photo of hers (I took it in a different direction than she wanted and it was TFCD).  I did it, as I didn't pay her.

I'm open to suggestions like that, though.

That story told, I see two logical options.

1.  Let it go.

2.  Ask for a second version of the photo (and be prepared to pay for his time).

Apr 11 08 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

SHGfoto- Stefhan Gordon

Venice, California, US

so what's the precendent here...

every time a model doesn't like a picutr a photogrpaher should  take it down?
Evry time a MUA doesn't like how a photgrapher used photoshop, take down the picture?

I'm sure this happens more frequently than just notrd....

Though the person who has a problem with the shot simply should not use it in
his or her own port, and if they really don't like the work, just never work
with that photographer or conversely model or mua again....

So other than a very polite stating that you don't think that his or her  image best represents you, that's all you really can do....

Ironically, aside from the boob, I've seen models gush over how wonderful some pics are of them when the photographer has over idealized what they look like...some models seem to like pictures that don't look like themselves...

Apr 11 08 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

RobertsPhotogrqaphy

Wednesday Harrington wrote:
Keep abreast of the quality of work next time BEFORE you accept an assignment?  Sorry, couldn't resist...

Every photographer has their own style. Some get carried away with PS. Others, like myself, prefer a natural look. But it should be obvious by examining their portfolio, if they are prone to overphotoshopping. If that is your thing, fine. If not, keeping walking...

Apr 11 08 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Kelsey Marie  wrote:

I just don't want people thinking I am 115 pounds when I am 150.

That was a real butcher job!     smile

Apr 11 08 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Why Dangle

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Yep.

I feel you have been butchered too.

Apr 11 08 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Kyle Marquette Photo wrote:
pay him his money back!!!!!!!!!

And if he says "no", what then?

Apr 11 08 05:30 pm Link

Model

Nikki Magnusson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rp_photo wrote:
Chalk this up as an uplifting experience.

oh my...

Apr 11 08 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

If a model asks you for a reference, that would be your chance to let them know how you feel. It is also a lesson to check references to see what other models think of a photographer's work before you accept a shoot.

Beyond that, its a risk you take by accepting payment and signing a release, just like any other job. Lots of businesses require their employees to wear ugly, unflattering uniforms, for example. If you'd rather wear the latest fashions from Paris, well, there's the door.

I do agree that the retouching looks gawd-awful but so be it.

Apr 11 08 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

tMu designs wrote:
That is a horrible picture, and a terrible photoshop job.  He should have shown you in all your glory, and not tried to photoshop your waist...he obviously doesn't know how to use the program at all.

Since you were paid, you really don't have any right to ask him to pull it down...though you can ask to detach your name from it.

Good luck!

Well, there's an unsolicted critique if I ever saw one.

Apr 11 08 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I saw that pic in the guy's portfolio.  Got there by following the link in your portfolio.  I was gonna ask you how you got your boob to do that.  Pretty good trick!

Apr 15 08 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Wednesday Harrington wrote:
if it helps any, i'm a natural 36DD and my boobs have their own sense of gravity too smile

At 101 years old, you should expect some of that.

Apr 15 08 04:57 pm Link

Model

Feral Oneiric

Portland, Oregon, US

That's the risk you run being a model.
Not everything you produce is going to make you happy.

Apr 15 08 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Feral Oneiric wrote:
That's the risk you run being a model.
Not everything you produce is going to make you happy.

That's the bad part of any form of employment.  Sometimes in order to get that paycheck, you'll have to do thinks you don't love.

Apr 15 08 05:04 pm Link