Forums > Newbie Forum > What's with the goth look?

Model

Miss Anna Evans

Astoria, New York, US

Trevor Mark wrote:
What is this "goth" thing you speak of? Can't people just be chameleons and be able to work multiple sides without being classified?

Nope. There's no originality left in the world. The best you can do is hope to qualify for one of the more entertaining labels.

Aug 11 08 02:57 am Link

Model

Trevor Mark

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Miss Anna Evans wrote:
Nope. There's no originality left in the world. The best you can do is hope to qualify for one of the more entertaining labels.

Fuck that. I'm a chameleon without the crazy eyes. I live, and hope, to prove it. big_smile

Aug 11 08 02:59 am Link

Model

Manzin

Detroit, Michigan, US

Miss Anna Evans wrote:
Hey cutie.

[ img] url of image [ /img ] (without spaces) to post an image. smile

Hey bebe.

I'm all good when it come to the code, but I was just too lazy to go to Yahoo images, search for it, find it, steal the code/download and reupload to Tinypic, then post it here. But now that my extreme laziness is being misconstrued as noobism I had to actually go through all that and upload a macro.  Because every gem of a thread like this one will eventually dissolve into macros eventually, so I think I'll get a jump start on it.

https://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/i-shall-not-tolerate-such-rubbish-good-day-sir.jpg

Aug 11 08 03:00 am Link

Photographer

Mikell

San Francisco, California, US

Miss Anna Evans wrote:

goth was in?

shit, I missed the memo.

that's ok it was only on a sticky note anyway

Aug 11 08 03:02 am Link

Model

Miss Anna Evans

Astoria, New York, US

Manzin wrote:
Hey bebe.

I'm all good when it come to the code, but I was just too lazy to go to Yahoo images, search for it, find it, steal the code/download and reupload to Tinypic, then post it here. But now that my extreme laziness is being misconstrued as noobism I had to actually go through all that and upload a macro.  Because every gem of a thread like this one will eventually dissolve into macros eventually, so I think I'll get a jump start on it.

https://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/i-shall-not-tolerate-such-rubbish-good-day-sir.jpg

Sorry, I've been shooting all day and now I'm tired enough to misconstrue lazy for inexperienced. You can't see it, but I'm making a note not to do it again. In black ink made from the souls of the damned on black paper, in honor of the topic. tongue

Aug 11 08 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Cannibalized

Bowling Green, Kentucky, US

People like what they like. And create what is familiar.. unless they have no passion in what they do.

Aug 11 08 03:16 am Link

Photographer

My other work

New York, New York, US

David Kempling wrote:

Goth is a dead crow on the bathroom floor of fashion. wink

Very well put

Aug 11 08 03:21 am Link

Model

Manzin

Detroit, Michigan, US

Miss Anna Evans wrote:
Sorry, I've been shooting all day and now I'm tired enough to misconstrue lazy for inexperienced. You can't see it, but I'm making a note not to do it again. In black ink made from the souls of the damned on black paper, in honor of the topic. tongue

Lucky. I'm craving a good shoot but haven't scheduled anything for another two weeks.  But I forgive you, so long as you're drinking absinthe and it's midnight and you have your black cat on your knee and you're listening to some Cleopatra compilation while you're writing that note on black paper. Preferably in either the blood of one of your victims, your latest masochistic pickup, or one of your numerous animal sacrifices to SAAATAAAN.   \m/ >.< \m/

Aug 11 08 03:29 am Link

Photographer

Paul Bryson Photography

Hollywood, Florida, US

Aaron Pawlak wrote:
Kids that grew up with the Addams Family movies....
Cute spooky is more hip than cheerleader.

I was gonna try to answer the OP, but I think you just nailed it.

Lurch is my hero. big_smile

Aug 11 08 04:00 am Link

Clothing Designer

BlackPlanet Styling

Lewes, England, United Kingdom

Miss Anna Evans wrote:

Yes, we do...but mainly books and poetry, not random TLDR posts about shit we already know. When you're writing about goth, you're typically writing to educate nongoths.

I have quoted four gothic poems.
I am pretty sure I am writing to educate "goths" too.
tell me about Yeats then without doing a wiki look up on him wink
Come on....you may find something there you don't know wink

but I was answering the ops question.

When I shot my model we went through poetry historical research and tons and tons of stuff. I didn't want anything faux from my model. And she didn't give me any because she's for real.

Aug 11 08 04:31 am Link

Model

Delta- Casta

London, Arkansas, US

im not even a 'goth' or whatever you wanna call them. you shouldnt stereotype people from the way they dress. let people dress the way the way they want because that way their personality is brought out.

Aug 11 08 07:07 am Link

Clothing Designer

BlackPlanet Styling

If someone is just dressing in dark clothes and make up, and that is as far as it goes then it is a mistake to label them a Goth, yes they may not want it, and an insult to a great art philosophy and intellectual and cultural movement.
As a style in fahion or fashion photography it is if that is what you a intending its just that: a visual syle which refers to a spirit.
BUT that is rather like dressing a model as a soldier and saying that makes her a soldier.
To some of us, gothic refers to our outlook on life ...and then it isn't a label to play with. Sometimes what you see in Art is real; not a style illusion, and we will use it as a way of looking at things in everythng we do.
So whatever theme we are interpreting, we will dig up the dark part of it and in that find light. In whatever society demonises without jusification, in that we will find truth. It not a "pop" culture thing.
It is particularly relevant as a spirit now as it questions the obsession with health and fear of death modern society has; as it is precisely that that condemns us to a sterile existence.

Aug 11 08 11:53 am Link

Model

Mala Morrigan

New York, New York, US

Um, I just like dressing up. I wouldn't call myself a goth or a punk or a conservative girl from the Hamptons. I have tons of different clothes that are all different and yet all something I like. I have studded belts and sweaters, all manner of corsets, pencil skirts, vinyl, fetishwear, victorian dresses, jeans, band t-shirts, mesh tops, button down cardigans, khakis, black lipstick, red lipstick, pink lipstick. For god's sake, do you want everyone to dress the same all the time? Just let people freaking BE and do your own thing without concering yourself over other people. Sure the green mohawk and studded belt maybe isn't for you but who cares. Stop judging people and deciding why they dress the way they do, because you really don't know. I for one love alt stuff, I love piercings and tattoos, and I also love classic art nudes and high fashion.

Again, it comes down to everyone wanting everything to be the same which would be pretty damn boring. Anyone see Pleasantville?

Aug 11 08 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jade Noir

San Antonio, Texas, US

It's cause goths rule.

Deal with it. tongue

Aug 11 08 12:05 pm Link

Clothing Designer

BlackPlanet Styling

yes Mala but that has nothing to do with the gothic movement. It is about so much more than dressing up...indeed that is not required... and permeates every avenue of our lives. But when the dress is part of it believe me it means something more than just playing dress up.
dress in gothic can be compleetly different....in the UK we'd think of Sherlock Holmes, tweed and riding boots, and if you look at Jade Noir's avatar in the US its more flm noir....so it has a myriad of different dress. Yes it can be black...but not necessarily.

If you just love dressing up that is fine....but I wish people wouldn't label you using a term that has great meaning as it destroys its power and truth. Its a lot more to do with Shelley and Byron and Prague achitcture than studded belts and mohican haircut and tattoos: they are nothing to do with the Gothic. So yes its wrong for dumb people to give you a label which they know nothing about.

Aug 11 08 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

SevenFire Photography by Anthony Xavier Wiggins

Waukegan, Illinois, US

Orixx wrote:
I fucking laugh at goths who are older than 18. I mean here I thought people dressed that way to piss off their parents. To see adults doing it because they believe it looks good.. oh how I die laughing lol.

I had TONS of respect for Orixx and her skills until I read that quote.  And I am 40...

Aug 11 08 12:17 pm Link

Clothing Designer

BlackPlanet Styling

Yes I am sure that William Shakespare Wagner Lord Byron edgar allan poe Kipling Hemingway all the film noir directors and all those that built gothic cities and cathedrals, took inspiration from Valhala were all just doing it just to piss their parents off.

Aug 11 08 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jade Noir

San Antonio, Texas, US

Orixx wrote:
I fucking laugh at goths who are older than 18. I mean here I thought people dressed that way to piss off their parents. To see adults doing it because they believe it looks good.. oh how I die laughing lol.

We laugh at you.  It's ok.

Aug 11 08 12:26 pm Link

Model

Miss Anna Evans

Astoria, New York, US

PonyGurlCouture wrote:
I have quoted four gothic poems.
I am pretty sure I am writing to educate "goths" too.
tell me about Yeats then without doing a wiki look up on him wink
Come on....you may find something there you don't know wink

but I was answering the ops question.

When I shot my model we went through poetry historical research and tons and tons of stuff. I didn't want anything faux from my model. And she didn't give me any because she's for real.

I'm pretty sure you're attempting to say I'm not a goth, and I can't quit snickering.

Anyway, I prefer Byron to Yeats...and vastly, vastly prefer Saul Williams to both of them. The thread's about whether or not the goth aesthetic will help one become a successful agency model. The answer is no, it won't. No matter what my personal tastes are, it's a subculture for a reason.

Aug 11 08 03:52 pm Link

Model

Miss Anna Evans

Astoria, New York, US

Manzin wrote:

Lucky. I'm craving a good shoot but haven't scheduled anything for another two weeks.  But I forgive you, so long as you're drinking absinthe and it's midnight and you have your black cat on your knee and you're listening to some Cleopatra compilation while you're writing that note on black paper. Preferably in either the blood of one of your victims, your latest masochistic pickup, or one of your numerous animal sacrifices to SAAATAAAN.   \m/ >.< \m/

I've never had absinthe, actually. Let's meet up in a cemetery under a full moon in matching black velvet corsets and you can laugh at me when I make terrible "licorice is not delicious" faces. lol

Aug 11 08 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

CH Studio

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Q: what's with the goth look?
A: hot women.

Aug 11 08 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Alas Vera

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Sweet LillyBee wrote:
I don't think the goth look opens doors to agency modeling or even regular modling gigs- but because alternative modeling is becoming more widespread that look is seen more than before.
Goth goes back pretty far, but it only recently that the idea of "alternative" modeling is even feasible. Yay! For opening minds!

...agree smile

Aug 11 08 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

UNDEAD......UNDEAD......UNDEAD......

Aug 11 08 04:13 pm Link

Model

Mala Morrigan

New York, New York, US

PonyGurlCouture wrote:
yes Mala but that has nothing to do with the gothic movement. It is about so much more than dressing up...indeed that is not required... and permeates every avenue of our lives. But when the dress is part of it believe me it means something more than just playing dress up.
dress in gothic can be compleetly different....in the UK we'd think of Sherlock Holmes, tweed and riding boots, and if you look at Jade Noir's avatar in the US its more flm noir....so it has a myriad of different dress. Yes it can be black...but not necessarily.

If you just love dressing up that is fine....but I wish people wouldn't label you using a term that has great meaning as it destroys its power and truth. Its a lot more to do with Shelley and Byron and Prague achitcture than studded belts and mohican haircut and tattoos: they are nothing to do with the Gothic. So yes its wrong for dumb people to give you a label which they know nothing about.

I was just responding to the OP. Most people don't know what goth means, and I have been called it when I wear the outfits but I know I'm not. I don't immerse myself in the culture aside from some happenin Dominion parties and random music smile I just felt like the OP was asking, oh man, what is up with this lame type of dress in my art form, and I merely replied, well, art is anything and everything and I love it all. I say nothing about the gothic culture. And no, studded belts is more punk than goth, I'd say tongue

Aug 11 08 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

Platinum Fire wrote:

I had TONS of respect for Orixx and her skills until I read that quote.  And I am 40...

yeah... i'm sure she will be crushed. I know if I lost your respect I might have to throw a fucking party. Please don't act like you have a conscience...

As for Orixx's post, I interpretted it as meaning those Hot Topic goth's who wear their uniform of darkness. Those ones, I too think of as lame, but I think that about anyone who feels the need to dress like others to feel like they fit in.

Aug 11 08 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

West Wendover, Nevada, US

Miss Anna Evans wrote:
Hey cutie.

[ img] url of image [ /img ] (without spaces) to post an image. smile

I read it. I get told all the time I'm a "Goth".

I wonder if they mean Visigoth or Ostrogoth.

Aug 11 08 04:30 pm Link

Model

Manzin

Detroit, Michigan, US

Miss Anna Evans wrote:
I've never had absinthe, actually. Let's meet up in a cemetery under a full moon in matching black velvet corsets and you can laugh at me when I make terrible "licorice is not delicious" faces. lol

I had a great reply written here but oh, there was a DB error. Fuck you, DB.

It was something about how we should meet at midnight and drink our absinthe from obsidian goblets in our matching velvet corsets with latex skirts and pixie boots and I'll wear my fangs and you can have your boobs out and I'll have to stomp around with my mouth hanging open because that's the only thing you can do with fangs to avoid that "stuffed upper lip" face. And then someone will take a pic draped over a tombstone and it will be my default until someone starts the "What's with all the cemetery shots?" thread and there's bitching about disrespect. Again. As usual.

And then I said something else about why people can't shoot what they do shoot and spend less time bitching about what they don't like. But that'd make sense. And I don't much like the oiled up ass poppin' Black Booty-styled shoots but I'm not staging a formal protest because I'm too busy shooting goth/dark/conceptual/wtf things that may or may not count as "goth", depending on which "expert" you ask.

Can't type anymore. Wore paint off quotes key.  *copies, cuts, pastes,  crosses fingers, hits Reply*

Aug 11 08 04:31 pm Link

Model

Miss Anna Evans

Astoria, New York, US

Manzin wrote:

I had a great reply written here but oh, there was a DB error. Fuck you, DB.

It was something about how we should meet at midnight and drink our absinthe from obsidian goblets in our matching velvet corsets with latex skirts and pixie boots and I'll wear my fangs and you can have your boobs out and I'll have to stomp around with my mouth hanging open because that's the only thing you can do with fangs to avoid that "stuffed upper lip" face. And then someone will take a pic draped over a tombstone and it will be my default until someone starts the "What's with all the cemetery shots?" thread and there's bitching about disrespect. Again. As usual.

And then I said something else about why people can't shoot what they do shoot and spend less time bitching about what they don't like. But that'd make sense. And I don't much like the oiled up ass poppin' Black Booty-styled shoots but I'm not staging a formal protest because I'm too busy shooting goth/dark/conceptual/wtf things that may or may not count as "goth", depending on which "expert" you ask.

Can't type anymore. Wore paint off quotes key.  *copies, cuts, pastes,  crosses fingers, hits Reply*

lol

Priceless. Totally worth the damage to your keyboard (insert cliche quote about damaged things being beautiful).

The only thing is, I can't have my boobs out in your display picture...I'll do a hand bra in black fingerless lace gloves.

Aug 11 08 04:43 pm Link

Model

Sarah Hunter

Los Angeles, California, US

Raise your hand if you've ever seen me wear any color other than black (latex doesn't count). 

*stomps off to burn incense, read Baudelaire, and listen to Peter Murphy*

Aug 11 08 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Miss Anna Evans wrote:

Absynthe and Djarum Black party! wink

Aug 11 08 05:06 pm Link

Model

Sarah Hunter

PK Brazil wrote:

Sweet big_smile

Aug 11 08 05:11 pm Link

Model

Miss Anna Evans

Astoria, New York, US

Nicotine wrote:
Raise your hand if you've ever seen me wear any color other than black (latex doesn't count). 

*stomps off to burn incense, read Baudelaire, and listen to Peter Murphy*

My kind of girl. big_smile

Aug 11 08 05:14 pm Link

Model

Miss Anna Evans

Astoria, New York, US

PK Brazil wrote:

When/where?

Aug 11 08 05:14 pm Link

Model

RobbieFilth

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

There's just a whole lot more you can do with it that's actually interesting.

Aug 11 08 05:17 pm Link

Model

Xtina Rocks

I can honestly say i've gotten more opportunities in modeling and BETTER photos from Photographers who shoot alternative shoots or "goth" type models.

No one cares for my "bikini, lingerie" shoots because there everywhere and its nothing no one hasnt seen before.

"goth" type or alternative photos i just cant take my eyes off. They draw more attention than some girl on a beach or on a bed

Aug 11 08 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Goth is a genre like anything else..

One can get sick of any one genre, and I think there is a lot of creative flexibility in an Alt-Goth model.

Sure, some of them have issues, but most (high percentage) are just very creative artists who are screaming to express themselves and this is the niche that fits their demand.

Fetish and Alt and Goth all have similarities, so the combination provides some very flexible looks..

Aug 11 08 05:20 pm Link

Model

Manzin

Detroit, Michigan, US

Miss Anna Evans wrote:
lol

Priceless. Totally worth the damage to your keyboard (insert cliche quote about damaged things being beautiful).

The only thing is, I can't have my boobs out in your display picture...I'll do a hand bra in black fingerless lace gloves.

I forgot the fingerless lace gloves! With the pointy claw red/black fingernails and excessive silver ringage. I don't think we could be more goth if we tried at this point. Unless one of us had the headful of DIY multicolour extensions and something in ripped fishnet. And an ankh. And then some different flavour of goth-type person in the shot giving us crap about how we're posing, because there is nothing more goth than Drama. And posing.

Aug 11 08 05:21 pm Link

Model

Xtina Rocks

RobbieFilth wrote:
There's just a whole lot more you can do with it that's actually interesting.

agreed :-)

Model

Sarah Hunter

Miss Anna Evans wrote:

When/where?

Maybe we can find a cemetery near the Hyatt.  I'll bring a case full of Nick Cave, Voltaire, and DJ Ferret remixes for mood music smile

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

PK Brazil wrote:

Cuervo Black and Sampoerna Internationals.  Leave that other stuff for the tourists.

Aug 11 08 05:22 pm Link