Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > to date or not to date a younger woman

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

Ok so I have been noticing this young lady flirting with me so I asked my cousin about her, they work together. Low and behold she does like me, this girl is cute as hell. My perfect woman in almost every way, both in looks and her sweet easy going personality. She is tallish for a woman about 5'6" or 7"  big brown eyes slim but kinda curvy. One big problem she is really young, I am 41 and she is early 20's another problem I am not so sure I am ready to commit to anyone and I think this girl is plus since she is so damn perfect I am afraid I might to. Now in my younger days I would have no problem taking what I wanted and leaving but with age we gain some sort of morals and I just don't want to needlessly hurt anyone. I already feel pretty bad for some of my younger days mistakes. Anyone been down this road, advice ?

Mar 03 06 09:42 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

my observations...

im 45...
95% of the single women my age (36-50) are clingy, insecure, ..and just plain nuts..if they aren't..they're married or in a relationship......

women 26-35..
i am invisable to 95% of this demographic..they are still looking for the best deal..best looking, richest guy they can find..and they will find him, or drop into my single 36-50 year old group...

women 18-25..
they just love..for loves sake..they are the easiest to be around..they want nothing, but to enjoy...its really refreshing...now while i am not "looking" for a relationship..if i am out to dinner or just hanging with someone..its probably in this demographic...

so it makes sense to me...

Mar 03 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Many young women are attracted to older men since they usually have learned manners . . .

Mar 03 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

MDG13 Dellamorte

Highland, Indiana, US

i have have to agree with doug. im 35 and my girlfriend is 20. weve been together about a year and a half now.

Mar 03 06 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Douglas Sonders

New York, New York, US

Im 25, and all I can say is.  Youre not getting married, nor do you have to use her and dump her.  Who says SHE is ready to commit?  Date her, check it out.  Like her? Keep her.  If not, move on.  Usually I find women in their early 20s are still a little lost (just out of school or still figuring life out), much like a lot of men.  Although, there are a few nice exceptions to the rule

Mar 03 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

She's an adult...you're an adult.

If you have enough interests in common to sustain a relationship, go for it!

Society, her parents, your kids, etc., may give you a hard time...but who cares.  Love is love and if given a chance, you should go for it.  If it doesn't work...

"Remember...it is better to have loved and lost...than never to have loved at all..."

I don't know who said it first...but that was a quote given to me by a teacher when I was younger...  "We didn't have a 'thing' going on...but now that I am older...I wonder if she had a thing for me...  lol"

smile

- Denoy

P.S.

I find it hard to relate to anyone under 25 on a "personal" level as they seem a bit "young" to me...but if you are comfortable and share enough interests...I say enjoy!  Life is short.  Enjoy whatever happiness is offered to you.  Even if it doesn't last.  Some people never get that chance.

Mar 03 06 10:03 am Link

Model

leila

Terry Breedlove wrote:
I am 41 and she is early 20's

i actually think thats just natural..but thats my views

Mar 03 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
my observations...

im 45...
95% of the single women my age (36-50) are clingy, insecure, ..and just plain nuts..if they aren't..they're married or in a relationship......

women 26-35..
i am invisable to 95% of this demographic..they are still looking for the best deal..best looking, richest guy they can find..and they will find him, or drop into my single 36-50 year old group...

women 18-25..
they just love..for loves sake..they are the easiest to be around..they want nothing, but to enjoy...its really refreshing...now while i am not "looking" for a relationship..if i am out to dinner or just hanging with someone..its probably in this demographic...

I agree.  I have also observed that women in their late 20s and up tend to be more rigid in a sense.  My way or the highway.  They've been gotten burned or scorned and do not / will not 'bend' to help move things along in a relationship.  Granted this isn't always the case but most of my experiences have been like this.

As for you Ranger Breedlove...go for it.  I've got your back!

Mar 03 06 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Douglas Sonders

New York, New York, US

After reading Doug's post, it makes me nervous about finding a mate at the right time in life!  Im already meeting girls talking about wanting babies now! or soon!  I mean thats good and all, but that seems so far off for someone like me married to my career.  Have you guys been married before?

Mar 03 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
my observations...

im 45...

women 26-35..

women 18-25..

Not sure I agree with this demographic but its all a matter of opinion and point of reference.  The only thing I would reallly change here is

18-24  This is a very emotionally insecure time for women.  They want commitment but then they want to have fun. and completely wrestle between the 2.   I have often said. you can date a girl that age but you can't expect them to remain loyal.
I personally don't trust them.  Don't get me wrong you can have the most fun you've ever had......as long as you don't have any long term expectations or any expectations at all.  just have fun but don't think you are going to marry them cause chances are...even though they might be talking the talk.. they are going to walk a very different walk.

Mar 03 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

1) Older peole are rational ... can talk things out

young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT! 

be prepared for the tantrums - the irrational behavior

but the sex is the bomb!  young women are enthusiastic! but the talking and the jealousy will drive you crazy.

Listen to the wise voice of experience! 

ah to hell with that, the sex is the bomb!   vitamins!

Mar 03 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

Well put!

Mar 03 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

If it what you wanna go for, go for it. And if she isnt what you expected you always reserve the right to break up. I like to test waters, and if I feel I am drowning I simply grab a life jacket to the next potential x- gf.

Mar 03 06 10:16 am Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

young people are NOT!

Not necessarily true...there are old people who are as immature and dumb and irrational as a 20 year old...

♀

Mar 03 06 10:19 am Link

Model

Janesse

New York, New York, US

Well, I'm someone who has had great experiences dating older men. Alot of what you said about women my age is true -- we are generally not rushing into a committment, and still want to have fun and enjoy our youth and get new experiences. And I dunno what's going on with guys in my age group, I mean, most of the time its like the freaking peanut gallery. But consider this -- if you really have feelings for this girl, you need to think very carefully about what you need/want from her, and what she needs/wants from you. Younger women love to have fun and excitement, and dating an older man can be a very new experience, but at some point you start to wonder -- "am I really just part of some old dude's midlife crisis?" And in the long run she is going to want to be with someone who she can grow with, not someone who has been there done that. Good luck with this decision!

Mar 03 06 10:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

Marcia Dionne

Frisco, Texas, US

young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!  young people are NOT!

HEYYYYY!!!

I take offense to that. We can talk things out...sometimes.

I'm 25 and half of the guys that I date are considerably older than me.  Hope this doesn't make anyway wanna lose their lunch but I have dated up until recently a man that is a whopping 63 years old.  Yeah, it sounds bad, but he didn't look or act his age at all.  He is one of the nicest guys that I have ever known and surprisingly we have a lot to talk to about.  Conversations with him are noticeably better than they are with guys my age. 

Now that I think about it, older guys are always really nice.  I dated a 43 year old when I was 20 and the only reason that we stopped seeing each other was because it really bothered his oldest daughter (she was 2 years younger than me).  That man was great, there was nothing that he wouldn't do for me (except tell his daughter to get a friggin' life and not worry about us).  Of course my dad always goes nuts when I tell him how old my suitors are but who gives a shit.  There is always gonna be somebody that has a problem with something that you are doing.   It's your life...live it!  Phuck what everybody else thinks. 

And yes, the sex is the bomb!!!

Go for it!

Mar 03 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Prophoto

Grayling, Michigan, US

Bottom line....

If you're attracted to her and vice-versa....

Go for it.

Mar 03 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Janesse wrote:
Well, I'm someone who has had great experiences dating older men. Alot of what you said about women my age is true -- we are generally not rushing into a committment, and still want to have fun and enjoy our youth and get new experiences. And I dunno what's going on with guys in my age group, I mean, most of the time its like the freaking peanut gallery. But consider this -- if you really have feelings for this girl, you need to think very carefully about what you need/want from her, and what she needs/wants from you. Younger women love to have fun and excitement, and dating an older man can be a very new experience, but at some point you start to wonder -- "am I really just part of some old dude's midlife crisis?" And in the long run she is going to want to be with someone who she can grow with, not someone who has been there done that. Good luck with this decision!

Damn it you nailed what I was trying to say. 
yeah, what she said!  cause.. it's true. Listen to her.  You'll be fun for a little while.
then... you get the boot for something new.

Mar 03 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

elisaveta ♀ wrote:
...there are old people who are as immature and dumb and irrational as a 20 year old...♀

a natural resource, that unfortunatley we will never run short of....

Mar 03 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Devab

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

Listen to the wise voice of experience! 

HAHA!! ...I'll second that statement. (...although we're just friends now) 11 year age difference.

Mar 03 06 10:34 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

I say go for it!  Sounds like she's interested and you're interested, so why not find out if it'll work?  Do you want to sit around and think about her later in your life and wish that you'd had the balls to ask her out?  Or do you want to think about how much fun you had and how glad you are that you know how it all turned out?  This is cheesy, but age is just a number.  If people mesh and love each other, it does not matter how many years there are in between them.

Mar 03 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Terry Breedlove wrote:
Ok so I have been noticing this young lady flirting with me so I asked my cousin about her, they work together. Low and behold she does like me, this girl is cute as hell. My perfect woman in almost every way, both in looks and her sweet easy going personality.

Well, Terry, here's my take on it:

Date her, she likes you and is sincere about it. You guys could have a great relationship for a few months, a few years.

Young people are often much more mature than many of the older people want to give them credit for... even American young people... wink

Now, I would not recommend marriage for a specific reason. It seems, knowing from my own and other peoples first hand experience, that there seems to be an age range, where their love can be totally sincere, but around age 25, they enter a totally new phase in their development, it's weird, but that's when they change...

School is finished, or they get a new position in their jobs,  a lot happens during this time and you better keep that in mind.

If that relationship should go strong, beyond 26 then maybe.

I personally would date a woman in the early twenties (if she "passes" my sometimes too high expectations) but for a serious, long term relationship... I'll rather be with a woman in her late 20's, because I don't see their ways as "rigid" I interpret that as rather "starting to know" what they want out of life.

So, been there... didn't listen to warnings of friends who've been there, and in the end... they were right.

But, by all means... enjoy life as it comes!

Udo

Mar 03 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

In the case of this young woman, can you relate to her on any kind of deep level? Are you "Hot" for her mind and personality as well as her body? Is she also for you? You might have a chance if this is true for both of you. A deep Loving Friendship, (Read Erich Fromm: http://www.infed.org/thinkers/fromm.htm), is the only way to have a lasting love in any event.

Good Luck!

Mar 03 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

My brother's experience:-

"My wife left me for a younger man.  He left her for a younger woman."

Make of that what you will.

Mar 03 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

elisaveta ♀ wrote:
Not necessarily true...there are old people who are as immature and dumb and irrational as a 20 year old...
♀

That's just bullsh#!t... https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/crazy.gif hehehehihihihihahahaha...

Mar 03 06 10:44 am Link

Model

Mr Weaver

Baltimore, Maryland, US

for my reply.. I say older women are best for me.. but if you older and the girl is still kinda young.. I mean old like 35 and up.. and her younger.. like 5yrs younger.. it dont take much to please her ya know?.. unless she's one of those demanding types.. then you'll have to find a weakness and break her in.. but that's my 2 cents..

OLDER WOMEN!

Mar 03 06 10:48 am Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

That's just bullsh#!t... https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/crazy.gif hehehehihihihihahahaha...

You know it's not... wink

♀

Mar 03 06 10:49 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

elisaveta ♀ wrote:
You know it's not... wink

♀

Yeah... wink , I know...https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/crazy.gif hehehehihihihihahahaha...

Mar 03 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Anthony Weaver Jr wrote:
for my reply.. I say older women are best for me.. but if you older and the girl is still kinda young.. I mean old like 35 and up.. and her younger.. like 5yrs younger.. it dont take much to please her ya know?.. unless she's one of those demanding types.. then you'll have to find a weakness and break her in.. but that's my 2 cents..

OLDER WOMEN!

even though Im not 35 yet..... WTF? 35 isn't old.
your 2 cents.......refunded

Mar 03 06 10:56 am Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
my observations...

im 45...

women 26-35..

women 18-25..

I can see the reason for your observations on this, but not totally true.  In all age demographics you can have women that are insecure....immature or even materialistic.  I think a lot of it depends on what the girl/woman has went through in life and the lessons that they have learned along the way.  Make sense??  I can honestly say I have seen some quite mature 18-25 year olds....then.....I have also seen some really immature 18-25 and even up to 45 years of age.

I am 29, but married at 21.  Still very happily married...  My husband is 35.  When I met him....I was single, two babies and going to school full time.  Not including holding down a job, taking care of my own apartment, car and my own bills.  I had to grow up....and obviously learned as well from the mistakes that were made.  Very independent at the time and had the attitude because of things that had happened that I didn't need a man to take care of me.  I could do it on my own...and I did.  My husband, I fell in love with him for him.  No money nothing.  Have been married going on 8 years...both completely happy.  Plus, earlier before I was ever married....I had become known as the runaway bride.  Everytime a boyfriend would get engaged, I would eventually run....that is, before I met my husband.  Long story on a lot of things....but my point is this........

Age doesn't always matter.  It is the love that grows between two people and IF that love is even real.  It is about who that person is inside as well as out.  Has the person learned from life mistakes?  Have they actually lived on their own to know the ups and downs that life brings?  Do they have morals?  Are they a family person?  There is just so much more than just age and looks.  The maturity....responsibilities....everything. 

Again, this is just my opinion on how I view the age thing and relationships. 

xoxoxoxo
McKenzie

Mar 03 06 10:56 am Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

FabioTovar wrote:
even though Im not 35 yet..... WTF? 35 isn't old.
your 2 cents.......refunded

If 35 is old, what is 65 then ...~ dead??? ...https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/crazy.gif  wink
♀

Mar 03 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

elisaveta ♀ wrote:

If 35 is old, what is 65 then ...~ dead??? ...https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/crazy.gif  wink
♀

yikes You date dead people?! https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/Passingout1.gif

Mar 03 06 11:03 am Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

yikes You date dead people?! https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/Passingout1.gif

LOL...yikes

Mar 03 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

McKenzie wrote:
I am 29, but married at 21.  Still very happily married...  My husband is 35. 

Age doesn't always matter.

You and your husband are close in age.  Six years is not a lot of difference.

The OP is old enough to be the girl's dad.  smile

People can often easily relate to someone who is within 5-6 years their age.  When the gap is larger, there is often less of a "peer" relationship and more of a mentor/student thing going on...

However, it seems the magic age for women is roughly 25 and for men about 30.  Once they hit/go beyond that age...  age isn't an issue anymore.

I think most women don't really know what they want out of life until they are at least 25 and men atleast 30 or so.  This is why many young people who get married end up in divorce a few years later...  They got married before they knew what they wanted...

- Denoy

Mar 03 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

If you have to think about it,
and you "see" the age difference,
Then you probably shouldn't do it.
You need to see her as an equal,
not as a near child.

Other wise you will wind up lecturing her like you would a daughter.
And who wants that in a relationship.

Mar 03 06 11:09 am Link

Model

ang m

Chicago, Illinois, US

Age is just a number.  A relationship between two adults must be measured in terms of compatibility - intellectually, physically, spiritually.   I am 18 dating someone 41 and age is not an issue.

Mar 03 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

For the most part, women that are over 32 and single usually have baggage and distrust men.  They may not be saying it, or will even take offense to that statement.... but it's basically true.

The typical female in the demographics mentioned above have usually been through a divorce, and think that all men are like the abusive, cheating, farting, slob that they married.  (In most cases, they're probably right!).

Younger females haven't been 'scarred' by abusive or bad relationships, so they don't put up any 'fronts' or 'false pretenses'.  They are 'themselves' and they want you to be yourself as well!

Younger women tend to like certain men because he's handsome, funny, cute, or fun!

Older women tend to go after certain men for totally different reasons... mainly financial (he's wealthy, he's a doctor, his house is paid for!).  If a man doesn't have those qualifications, they go on to the next.

Usually, those women don't have anything 'special' to offer in such a relationship, so a professional male really wouldn't want anything to do with 'em, but "Players" usually can detect these women, and will manipulate them, pretending to be something that he isn't in order to get laid!

That situation doesn't work out, the 'scorned woman' finds out how she's been used, deepening her belief that all men are bastards...  then goes out to find the next "Mr. Perfect" only to be caught in the same endless cycle.
-------
All of my friends that got married at a young age (while in their early 20's or younger) are now still happily married... over two decades!

My friends that got married in their late 20's - 30's usually have more marital problems, and noticably higher divorce rate.

My friends that got married in their 40's or 50's often actually admit that they're getting married because their partner is 'better than nothing'.  Those marriages are the rockiest that I've ever seen (with constant bickering and fighting which probably will end in another divorce)!

My best relationship was with a female that was 16 years younger than myself  (I was 38). I was closer to her parents age than her age, yet almost EVERYONE (her parents, my family, her friends) were extrmely supportive.  It was my own friends that condemend me for 'robbing the cradle'.   Those are the same friends that are now confiding in me that they shouldn't have gotten married to their current spouse.

Being a single guy at my age really is a bummer, but I'd rather be single than to be considered "better than nothing".  If your partner doesn't sincerely believe that you're "better than EVERYTHING"...  you shouldn't get married!

Mar 03 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

You're thinking to much. Let whatever happens, happen.

Mar 03 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lately, when I meet a young, attractive 20-something year old female, the first thing that pops into my head is "darn, I'm too old for her".

Then I have to also remind myself "darn, she's too old for me!"

; )

Mar 03 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I've always tended to date older women.  Drives my wife crazy wink

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Mar 03 06 11:27 am Link