Forums > Model Colloquy > So what is an "Exceptional Photographer" ?

Photographer

Marcello H Photography

Temple, Texas, US

I see this a lot on profiles. If I didn't know any better, I would think that people are just copying each other thinking that this is some kind of filtering mechanism to intimidate the amature GWC. Unfortunately "exceptional" is not what I see in the portfolios of many of these models who request it. So again I ask, what is an "exceptional photographer"? Be careful of what you think your standards are. You'll miss many opportunities of some good shoots.

Jul 08 05 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Posted by NuruExpressions: 
... some kind of filtering mechanism to intimidate the amature GWC.

Do I look intimidated? Dude, I am fearless. If any of these models are trying to scare me away with that kinda stuff, they're just missing out. When I'm famous and driving around LA in my ferrari while Eminem waits in my studio for a shoot, they're all gonna be biting their nails going, "DAMN! I shoulda shot with GWC when I had the chance!"

My cell phone's ringing, I bet that's Angelina Jolie calling me back for the TFP I've invited her to! BRB!

GWC

Jul 08 05 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Marcello H Photography

Temple, Texas, US

LOL. Now you're an exception. And you're not an amature either! smile

Jul 08 05 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

FYH Photo

Santa Clara, California, US

I see this a lot on profiles. If I didn't know any better, I would think that people are just copying each other thinking that this is some kind of filtering mechanism to intimidate the amature GWC. Unfortunately "exceptional" is not what I see in the portfolios of many of these models who request it. So again I ask, what is an "exceptional photographer"? Be careful of what you think your standards are. You'll miss many opportunities of some good shoots. 

So the models don't have exceptional work?  Maybe that's why they're asking for 'exceptional photographers'. 

Don't know why this bugs you.  It's fair enough for any model, from rank amateur to pro, to NOT have some guy, just learning how to operate a camera, contacting them.  If their standards are too high, then no one will photograph them.  It all works out in the end.   

BTW, I do note that the guys who  bitch the most online about how models are too picky tend to be GWCs, so we must all be careful how much complaining any of us do wink hahahaha!

Jul 08 05 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Posted by F.Y. Hamada: 
the guys who  bitch the most online about how models are too picky tend to be GWCs

I am totally not complaining! I have tons of HOTT (

Jul 08 05 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

So what is an "Exceptional Photographer" ?

me smile

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

1)  knows lighting
2) knows compostition
3) knows good makeup and and styling when he sees it.
4) understands what a glamour model is, a fashion model, a commercial model.  Understands the industry enough to know who works for what shot.
5) knows how to present his book to clients, his book has nothing but perfect shots in it, not one B  model can be found in it.
6) He can shoot what you ask for and not just what he is good at. 

I know a real pro when I look at someones work and it doesn't all look the same.  (insert model here)  you know, the ones that shoot the same lighting, same scenery, same stuff over and over.

7)  He is as good at natural light photography as he is in studio.  Look around at portfolios, 90% of the photographers are great at one and suck at the other.   Its the difference between understanding lighting (the really good photographers) and  learning a set formula (most)

Photographer

Marcello H Photography

Temple, Texas, US

Posted by F.Y. Hamada: 

So the models don't have exceptional work?  Maybe that's why they're asking for 'exceptional photographers'. 

Don't know why this bugs you.  It's fair enough for any model, from rank amateur to pro, to NOT have some guy, just learning how to operate a camera, contacting them.  If their standards are too high, then no one will photograph them.  It all works out in the end.   

BTW, I do note that the guys who  bitch the most online about how models are too picky tend to be GWCs, so we must all be careful how much complaining any of us do wink hahahaha!

No one's bitching or complaining here. I'm just asking a simple question.

Jul 08 05 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

So is a pro and exceptional photographer ther same thing?

I have seen 30 year trained  photograhers with  degrees and MB's in photography and such, that shoot boring work which are perfect... and GWC's for lack of a better term that shoot amazing content that may not be technically absolute.

-lighting ok, some like shaows some hate them? perspective? style?
-composition is relative
-make-up and styling is relative
-fashion and glamour are distorted terms at best by  ...       today's standards
-what is a B model?
the last is a given ... should be able to shoot what you what
but if you didnt like what they are good at why ask them to shoot?

having said all that I guess I am called a GWC, amatuer and dont yet consider myself exceptional...

but I still have an opinion

Jul 08 05 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Marcello H Photography

Temple, Texas, US

Posted by Mary: 
1)  knows lighting
2) knows compostition
4) understands what a glamour model is, a fashion model, a commercial model.  Understands the industry enough to know who works for what shot.
5) knows how to present his book to clients, his book has nothing but perfect shots in it, not one B  model can be found in it.

I know a real pro when I look at someones work and it doesn't all look the same.  (insert model here)  you know, the ones that shoot the same lighting, same scenery, same stuff over and over.

7)  He is as good at natural light photography as he is in studio.  Look around at portfolios, 90% of the photographers are great at one and suck at the other.   Its the difference between understanding lighting (the really good photographers) and  learning a set formula (most)

Thank you. Now do you think those characteristics (which should be a standard for all photographers) is what these people have in mind when they're asking? I really don't think so.

Jul 08 05 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

The rule of thumb I use is kinda weird but it works. If the models' portfolio pictures are better than the kind of thing I could shoot (fat chance, eh?) then I figure her idea of "exceptional" is a higher standard than I can hit. If her portfolio pictures are worse than what I can do, then I figure I will only look SLAMMIN' in comparison and I contact her and tell her I'll condesend, uh, condeyscend, um, whatever to let her pose for me TFP.

I can tell it works 'cuz all the girls love GWC! Haven't you noticed I am like the most talked-about photographer on MM?!

GWC
(PS - that wasn't Angeline Jolie calling me back just now. sad It was some lawyer idiot. What is a "ceese and desyst"? They say I am getting one in the mail. COOL! I wonder if she'll autograph it!)

Jul 08 05 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

man my spelling sucks... does it reflect in my photography?

Jul 08 05 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Cristan

Miami, Florida, US

You ever noticed that many models looking for exceptional photographers are ussually the same ones exceptional photographers want nothing to do with them?

Jul 08 05 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

I find they really dont think anyone is good enough to work with them...

Jul 08 05 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

rickOPIOLA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted by Mary: 
1)  knows lighting
2) knows compostition

hey mary... love the work you're doing...
just wondering how do i score on your *exceptional photographer skills torture test*?
i'm really serious about this... no joke... i value your opinion as a working pro mua...
rick

Jul 08 05 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Marcello H Photography

Temple, Texas, US

Posted by Cameron Watson: 
man my spelling sucks... does it reflect in my photography?

Only if you mispell your copyright. smile

Jul 08 05 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

I cut and paste my copyright

Rick, living down the road from you ... you are exceptional !!!
I  mean that from bottom of my hear which is deep inside my body... your work rocks man..

we have shot the same models on ocassion, my work pales by comparison!

Jul 08 05 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

an exceptional photographer is one who can put her legs behind her ears...

or is that model?

hey, nobody said anything inflamitory, I felt ...

used....

:-)

Star

Jul 08 05 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

don't all photographers exploit ... or is that just our label?

Jul 08 05 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Star: 
an exceptional photographer is one who can put her legs behind her ears...

or is that model?

hey, nobody said anything inflamitory, I felt ...

used....

:-)

Star

and I didn't even have to ask for one!

Jul 08 05 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

"exceptional" = "paying"

Jul 08 05 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Nobody does for the love of the game?
paid does equal exceptional... just good business?

Jul 08 05 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

exceptional equals a passionate eye with work that the viewer appreciates...pay,equipment, knowledge or the status quo can change that...

Jul 08 05 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

'
'Cant change that'... damn I need to learn to type and spell

Jul 08 05 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

rickOPIOLA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I  mean that from bottom of my hear which is deep inside my body... your work rocks man..

hey cameron... i was just about to look down the road to see if i could see you and then i looked at your profile and saw that you meant down the road as in down the road hamilton way...
thanks so much for the compliment...
yeah i see that you've shot with ashley k... but you shot her nude so you're one up on me there...
and i wouldn't say your work pales by comparison, it's just different... you're all about natural light and natural locations, i'm all about fake light and (mostly) fake locations...

Jul 08 05 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I was once contacted by a model who had that in her OMP profile. She asked me for a shoot, TFP. I took a look at her profile and found that she didn't have a look I could use, so I politely declined, telling her, "Your profile says you only do TFP with exceptional photographers. I'm hardly exceptional, and I respect your limits, so I must politely decline."

She was apoplectic. I enjoyed every minute of it, though I felt guilty for doing so.

Jul 08 05 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Posted by GWC: 
...When I'm famous and driving around LA in my ferrari while Eminem waits in my studio for a shoot...

Was that you I saw on the 405 today leaning out the window with a camera phone?

I'd love to get as much Nokia as you, dude.  You ARE hot!

Jul 08 05 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted by rickOPIOLA: 

hey cameron... i was just about to look down the road to see if i could see you and then i looked at your profile and saw that you meant down the road as in down the road hamilton way...
thanks so much for the compliment...
yeah i see that you've shot with ashley k... but you shot her nude so you're one up on me there...
and i wouldn't say your work pales by comparison, it's just different... you're all about natural light and natural locations, i'm all about fake light and (mostly) fake locations... 

Rick ... apparently 'exceptional' photographers do both in and outdoor, available and manufactured lighting well... if we join forces we will be the super heroes of photography, exceptional under ever circumstance and can conquer the world!

Or we can share a beer on a patio somewhere comparing notes of our ashley's...

Jul 08 05 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

rickOPIOLA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Rick ... apparently 'exceptional' photographers do both in and outdoor, available and manufactured lighting well... if we join forces we will be the super heroes of photography, exceptional under ever circumstance and can conquer the world!

Or we can share a beer on a patio somewhere comparing notes of our ashley's...

you know i was actually scheduled to do a shoot with ashley this morning but she cancelled because she had a fever and was feeling a little dizzy... i told her (jokingly) that all models get the fever and feel a little dizzy when they're going to shoot with me... she laughed but didn't go for it so we'll be rescheduling sometime soon...

Jul 08 05 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

-lighting ok, some like shaows some hate them? perspective? style?
-composition is relative
-make-up and styling is relative
-fashion and glamour are distorted terms at best by  ...       today's standards

Lighting, composition, perspective, and style are all relative to the one element: "Does it work"? If it doesn't, the parts didn't work--and therefore, the image didn't work. "Exceptional" artists often break what seem to be rules in order to achieve a higher result.

Makeup and styling: same as above. If looking slapped-on is what's called for, it should look that way. If looking like there's no makeup is called for, it should look that way. Yup. It's all relative: does the makeup and styling make (or at the very least, permit) the image to work?

Failure to satisfy all the above simply means the images won't be consistently good-or-better. If that's what you meant by 'relative', I guess it is. smile

Fashion and glamour may be distorted terms, but in a professional environment, they often have very distinct meanings. Not recognizing the scope of either in that environment is risky. (Choosing not to call something that is another matter.)

The last element I don't consider critical for 'exceptionality'. It's quite critical for professional usage, though, in either fashion or glamour. ("Senior photographers"--photographers who photograph high school seniors--are often excellent photographers, for example, but they rarely  "get" fashion. [If their claims for 'fashion photographs of Seniors" is any indication, at least.]) But they can often be very very very good at photographing people to flatter their looks--thus, perhaps, being 'exceptional'.

Chris Ambler
... I politely declined, telling her, "Your profile says you only do TFP with exceptional photographers. I'm hardly exceptional, and I respect your limits, so I must politely decline."

Delightful. Bravo.

Jul 08 05 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Ashley is such a good kid... one of my favs...

beer, a patio and notes isnt such a bad idea...
we can conspire to be exceptional

I would enjoy meeting  you!

lemme know

Jul 08 05 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Kevin,

You get my intent. Relative is just that... what is needed or what does the veiwer or recepient see? One's opinion may differ but that only changes the exceptional nature of that image by one's opinion, not someone else's. Having said that, does the more 'exceptional' opinions still make an photographer exceptional or should we run from the masses?

Capturing glamour or fashion in the tradional markets is expected and should be called so. Assuming the people demanding the results know what 'tradional' is what is wanted. On that point, I maintain if you don't like what a photographer does best ... why hire them?

"The last element I don't consider critical for 'exceptionality'. It's quite critical for professional usage, though, in either fashion or glamour. ("Senior photographers"--photographers who photograph high school seniors--are often excellent photographers, for example, but they rarely "get" fashion. [If their claims for 'fashion photographs of Seniors" is any indication, at least.]) But they can often be very very very good at photographing people to flatter their looks--thus, perhaps, being 'exceptional'. Well said!

And Chris... I love it !!! Nuff said

Jul 08 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

In my line of work as a magazine photographer in Vancouver who works for magazines cross Canada and abroad there are three factors that make or break one.

1. Make an appointment with photographic subject on the phone without offending or alienating him or her.

2. Show up on time. This really means that the photographer goes on onother day to case the joint and decide where to shoot. If the photographer meets with subject, all the better. It also means that one researches subject as the key to a successfull shoot it communication with subject.
3. Produce ONE useable shot that need not be artistic without any excuses and no failure. This means that one takes backup equipment and many plans B.
I have observed many photographers arrive in Vancouver and most have left as few had all three qualities which are definitely a key to success.

Jul 08 05 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by alexwh: 
In my line of work as a magazine photographer in Vancouver who works for magazines cross Canada and abroad there are three factors that make or break one.

1. Make an appointment with photographic subject on the phone without offending or alienating him or her.

2. Show up on time. This really means that the photographer goes on onother day to case the joint and decide where to shoot. If the photographer meets with subject, all the better. It also means that one researches subject as the key to a successfull shoot it communication with subject.
3. Produce ONE useable shot that need not be artistic without any excuses and no failure. This means that one takes backup equipment and many plans B.
I have observed many photographers arrive in Vancouver and most have left as few had all three qualities which are definitely a key to success.

Alex you make things sound just so easy!! (:---

Jul 08 05 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

I totally agree about missed opportunities.  It's time for a serious reality check.  Far too many of these "models" have more ego than common sense.  Exceptional models rate exceptional photographers.  Ever heard of working your way up or crawling before you walk, ladies?

Jul 08 05 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Hugh, Another important one which is really number 3 is that all the technical knowledge has to be down pat in inside the brain so in the little time one usually has to photograph a politician, an actor, a director or businessman one concentrates on that connection with one's subject. Those thee points may sound easy but they are reall not. For example you can do 1 and 2 and then show up without a flash cord and then what? I keep two flashmeters, two flashcords and two 140mm lenses for my Mamiya in my camera bag. I show up with my Dynalite but in my car trunk I have a couple of Norman 200Bs. And so on. After 38 years of marriage my wife has yet to learn that in the morning when I go to a shoot she should not talk to me as I go throug my mental check list. Stuff like 220 film and a 120 back (or the reverse).

Jul 08 05 11:22 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Exceptional is a subjective terms. Mary's criterea is a pretty good guideline, though.

Personally, I don't care ifd the photographer is exceptional. I only care that he or she can produce exceptional work.

Jul 09 05 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Bunny Images

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Now I'm impressed!  Mary, you rock!

Posted by Mary: 
1)  knows lighting
2) knows compostition

Jul 09 05 12:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

flameon

Brockton, Massachusetts, US

Jul 09 05 12:30 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Posted by Mary: 
1)  knows lighting
2) knows compostition

Fabulously put!!! I second your comment without any doubts ; )

Jul 09 05 12:56 am Link