Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Blend Modes (Photoshop)

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm trying to freeze a layer that I've made blending adjustments to, but I can't figure out how.  I know that if I've adjusted the opacity of a layer, I can convert it to a smart object and then rasterize it to make the opacity adjustment permanent, but how do I make the blend mode adjustment permanent (like Soft Light, or Multiply)?

I need to send some files one layer at a time, but each layer must be in its final state.  No adjustments can be made after it's sent.

May 14 09 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Paulo Dourado

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Umm try Alt +Ctrl+ Shift+ E, do your adjustments on that layer then put it in the blending mode you want. let me know if that works.

May 14 09 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Stamp visible?  That doesn't work.  I want to save a specific layer individually in its current state of blend.

I can only seem to do this if I create a new transparent file, work on a new layer's blending options sliders, and then merge visible.

May 14 09 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo Photo

Simi Valley, California, US

Have you tried putting an empty layer under it and merging down? I know it works to apply 'blend if' slider settings

May 14 09 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

JSVPhotography

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Angelo Lorenzo Photo wrote:
Have you tried putting an empty layer under it and merging down? I know it works to apply 'blend if' slider settings

Yes this. Or add the layer under, close all other layers except these two... ctl/alt/shft/e to merge those two into one. There's your new layer in the blend mode you wanted.

May 14 09 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

i just tried that, but it doesn't work, since the blend mode is currently set in a way that it's modified by the layers underneath it--which is essentially what i want to save.

May 14 09 09:16 pm Link

Digital Artist

drawpixels

San Diego, California, US

i suppose you can duplicate the document and flatten there, and copy that single layer back to original document.

May 14 09 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

barepixels wrote:
i suppose you can duplicate the document and flatten there, and copy that single layer back to original document.

same problem.  i want to freeze the layer in its current state--as it relates to the layers underneath it.

May 14 09 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

G Elliott Simpson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

its not possible (yet) to my knowledge. And I've spend hours looking, reading, and asking. It annoys me off cause it seems so obvious if you use photoshop for any amount of time - it just begs to be possible. The only option is to stamp visible and merge it into that layer (to create a new full layer with that effect added.) If I'm wrong someone please tell me. I would never be so happy to be wrong.

May 14 09 10:14 pm Link

Retoucher

9stitches

Did you try Angelo's or just JSV's

This is a headscratcher.

BRB

EDIT: Nope, doesn't work, and of course it makes perfect sense now that I think about it, since blend modes don't change pixels, they're just a set of instructions for how to composite with underlying pixels.

Photoshop is doing what I'm asking it to do, just not what I want it to do.

May 14 09 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

clayton cooper

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd love to be able to do this. I've read and read and can't find a way...

May 14 09 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

DA PHOTO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

copy the layer underneath the one you are trying to save, reduce this copyed layer to zero opacity, combine this layer with the one on top, deselct all other layers , then combine the first two.

and copy save into a new file

May 14 09 10:25 pm Link

Retoucher

9stitches

All the layers are in their final state, so long as the blend mode is preserved when the receiver imports them into a new file (I'm presuming you're sending pieces of a large file to be re-assembled on the other side? Maybe because I just saw Star Trek - correct me if I missed the mark).

However, this precludes the possibility of saving each layer as a jpeg - perhaps that's your issue here?

If I was more certain of what you were trying to accomplish and why, I might be able to help find an acceptable workaround.

May 14 09 10:25 pm Link

Retoucher

9stitches

DA PHOTO wrote:
copy the layer underneath the one you are trying to save, reduce this copyed layer to zero opacity, combine this layer with the one on top, deselct all other layers , then combine the first two.

and copy save into a new file

Doesn't work in my test just now, but one of us may well be missing the OP's point. Or I can't follow instructions.

May 14 09 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

DA PHOTO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

its ok i probably messed up.
but i think its got to do with  saving jpeg vs. psd.

da

May 14 09 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

ezpkns retouching wrote:
If I was more certain of what you were trying to accomplish and why, I might be able to help find an acceptable workaround.

Each layer is for printing onto clothing...so ultimately, each layer must be in Normal blend mode, and at 100% opacity.

Specifically, I've set one layer to Soft Light to achieve the desired look.  What I want to do is freeze or duplicate this layer in its current state so the layer will be at 100% Opacity in Normal blend mode so the printer can set it and commit it to fabric.  I don't know what software they use to do this, but I can't have any blend mode alterations on my template.  I need to provide all the requisite layers individually.

It's pissing me off like crazy because the way it looks in its current state is a result of the underlying layers.  If I set the other layers to invisible, then the Soft Light setting is meaningless.  If I Stamp Visible, I lose the manner in which Soft Light blends INTO the underlying layers.

WHY is there no way to do this?

May 14 09 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

DA PHOTO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ok  i tryed again and this worked for me.

try  dragging the file[s] layer[s]  into illustrator individually.
then opening ie and dragging each layer back into photo shop.
copy and save each layer again  individually.

May 14 09 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Brian Ziff wrote:
Each layer is for printing onto clothing...so ultimately, each layer must be in Normal blend mode, and at 100% opacity.

Specifically, I've set one layer to Soft Light to achieve the desired look.  What I want to do is freeze or duplicate this layer in its current state so the layer will be at 100% Opacity in Normal blend mode so the printer can set it and commit it to fabric.  I don't know what software they use to do this, but I can't have any blend mode alterations on my template.  I need to provide all the requisite layers individually.

It's pissing me off like crazy because the way it looks in its current state is a result of the underlying layers.  If I set the other layers to invisible, then the Soft Light setting is meaningless.  If I Stamp Visible, I lose the manner in which Soft Light blends INTO the underlying layers.

WHY is there no way to do this?

I need to provide all the requisite layers individually.
Why do they need a layered file? If they're printing on clothing, I don't see why they couldn't work from a flattened file.

May 14 09 10:49 pm Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

A temporary fix, though not 100% what you're looking for.

- layer>flatten visible
- (layer palette) select all, copy,
- ctrl+z to revert back to original document
- ctrl+v to paste visible copy back on top of everything.

You have an image (frozen state) of the result of all the underlying layers on top of everything. Underneath, you still have all your underlying layers in full expanded detail.

I do this often due to the issue you describe. Sometimes you can't continue further without it.

May 14 09 10:53 pm Link

Retoucher

9stitches

Solstice Retouch wrote:
A temporary fix, though not 100% what you're looking for.

- layer>flatten visible
- (layer palette) select all, copy,
- ctrl+z to revert back to original document
- ctrl+v to paste visible copy back on top of everything.

You have an image (frozen state) of the result of all the underlying layers on top of everything. Underneath, you still have all your underlying layers in full expanded detail.

I do this often due to the issue you describe. Sometimes you can't continue further without it.

shift+ctrl+alt+E does the same thing faster, and it's already been mentioned. Doesn't solve the original problem.

Yeah, why do they need a layered file? I could see needing color seperations...

Brian, did you commit the grave error of communicating with the client instead of the printer? Repeat after me: they never know what they want, need, or owe. ;-P

May 14 09 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

What you are trying to do is meaningless. Blending is not an absolute adjustment, it is relative to the layers below. There is only ONE blend mode which is independent from the layers below it, which is Dissolve.

Try this little exercise:

Create a new file. Paint some pixels with a brush. Create a second layer, and paint a different color roughly across the first brush stroke. Start changing blend modes. You'll see different results as expected.

Now option-click the visibility icon for the top layer to only show that layer. Start changing blend modes. The ONLY blend mode which will show any changes is Dissolve. Any other blend mode will not affect that one visible layer at all.

May 14 09 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

kevie

San Marcos, California, US

If it looks good with the blend mode-ed layer and all layers underneath are used to create that look duplicate those underneath layers so that you can merge them with the blend mode-ed layer so you retain those layers beneath and have a layer state that you want above. Then proceed with the remaining layers above with a similar procedure only needing to duplicate the last layer state to merge with the new blend mode. you basically creating a WYSIWYG.

When you are screen printing you are using 100% of the ink and creating the illusion of opacity with half tone dots. So its a matter of determining the number of colors for the design and and which elements of that design are gonna be one of the number of colors used. if that makes sense.

its late :S

May 14 09 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

clayton cooper

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ezpkns retouching wrote:
Brian, did you commit the grave error of communicating with the client instead of the printer? Repeat after me: they never know what they want, need, or owe. ;-P

Oh this is so absolutely true.

May 14 09 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

THE ANSWER:

Select All

Edit - Copy All (ctrl+shift+c)

Paste

May 14 09 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

_Vega_

MILILANI, Hawaii, US

right below the blend modes are lock buttons try that

May 15 09 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Softly Spoken Photo

Rocky Mount, Virginia, US

The only way to do this is that I can think of is to merge in layer increments.

Say you have 10 layers but you want the preserve the look of the first five.

1. Turn off the visibility of the last five
2. Click on the top layer of the active layers
3. shift,ctrl,alt,E to combine the underlying layers.
4. Repeat for the next five.

This will allow you to save the image in stages.

There is no other way to save the look of a particular blend mode since the blend modes do not really have pixels, they use mathematical equations to adjust the tones and contrast of the underlying image.

If you are not doing the printing I would suggest that you send them a PSD file and let the printer do the seperations that is after all their job.

May 15 09 12:37 am Link

Retoucher

StaciC

Swansea, Illinois, US

Im not sure if you mean this.. and i havn't read everything..

but if you mean you want to save a soft light layer with a lower opacity, but being able to have that layer to look EXACTLY like it does in it's own file, but be able to set that default as normal mode and 100% opacity..(but look like soft light and low opacity)

you can create a transparant layer below the "soft light" "low opacity mode"
then merge down the soft light layer..

then it leaves you with a transparancy layer with the soft light and low opacity but with a default of normal mode and 100% opacity

so when you copy that layer, create a new canvas and paste, youl see the mode is "normal" even though it looks like a soft light.

May 15 09 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

SCRetouching wrote:
Im not sure if you mean this.. and i havn't read everything..

but if you mean you want to save a soft light layer with a lower opacity, but being able to have that layer to look EXACTLY like it does in it's own file, but be able to set that default as normal mode and 100% opacity..(but look like soft light and low opacity)

you can create a transparant layer below the "soft light" "low opacity mode"
then merge down the soft light layer..

then it leaves you with a transparancy layer with the soft light and low opacity but with a default of normal mode and 100% opacity

so when you copy that layer, create a new canvas and paste, youl see the mode is "normal" even though it looks like a soft light.

that doesn't work.  we've tried it already.

and as far as the client / printer relationship, alas, i don't have the official template because the client is selecting the clothing based on the design--so my layers must all be complete and individual, with a mock-up done on an unofficial template so they'll know how to re-arrange the layers on the official template provided by the manufacturer.  or maybe the manufacturer re-arranges it.  to be honest, i have no idea what happens when it's out of my hands, but it's never been an issue until now because previously, all my blending concerns were limited to knocking out black or knocking out white.

it's mind-blowing that there is no PS action for what i'm trying to accomplish.

May 15 09 11:31 pm Link