Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Anyone uses good photoshop actions. Share them.

Photographer

Victors Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

May 15 09 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

o k u t a k e

New York, New York, US

???
I use actions all the time. Mainly I use it for repeating a task that I want to perform on a multiple of images. Most recently I rendered a gallery space and needed to place a few variations on a wall graphic in it. So I recorded the initial one and just let the actions repeat the work for each additional version. Not sure what you're trying to get at by sharing actions.

May 15 09 10:14 pm Link

Model

Kylea Killeen

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Every once in a great while I will use a Kubota action.

May 15 09 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

i haven't found any pre made actions that i like yet. but i have tried a bunch.

May 15 09 10:23 pm Link

Digital Artist

Epic Digital Artists

Orlando, Florida, US

I use File--Open, and thats when magic happens. wink

But dodge and burn is the 2nd best action.

May 15 09 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

SteveL Images

Pacifica, California, US

The Power of Beauty wrote:
I use File--Open, and thats when magic happens. wink

But dodge and burn is the 2nd best action.

Just curious ... how would you use dodge and burn in an action? Wouldn't that only work when you have a lot of images that require the same dodging/burning in exactly the same area?

May 15 09 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Mainly the ones I record for my work flow.

May 15 09 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Maria Fulmer

Hayward, California, US

I use them to create adjustment layers, then tweak each layer individually. I also use them to turn TIFFs into JPEGs when I'm ready to show stuff on the web.

May 15 09 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Viewu

Bradenton, Florida, US

I use actions for most of my workflow.  For instance I have several curve actions and then can toggle them on and off.  I have levels actions and most importantly for me is an action that saves a finished file to three different hard drives.

Beyond that there are just too many I have recorded togo through them all.

May 15 09 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Manuel Rego

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

http://www.atncentral.com/index.htm

[edit]There's some decent actions on that site I linked, but I don't really use actions in my work.  I'm old skool; I do everything by hand and/or in lightroom.  [/edit]

May 15 09 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

I don't want to share.

May 15 09 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Most of my actions are workflow enhancers:

A vignetting action which sets up a layer stack and sets the brush to my normal starting point; black and white conversion (another layer stack); web prep (dupe, resize, sharpen, border, watermark, etc); print prep (like web prep); burn and dodge prep, which sets up some standard layers, and so on. Very few fall into the 'creative' category, though many do set up for such tuning.

May 16 09 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Moderator Warning!

MinisterC  wrote:
I don't want to share.

From the Photography Forum FAQ

What is different about the Industry forums?

In addition to the regular forum rules, there are two that apply specifically to Tier 3 Forums—Model Matters; Photography Talk; and Hair, Makeup & Styling.

(31) No BS: While this is Model Mayhem, we would like to keep a nice balance between the mayhem and being resourceful.    This is where the "Industry Forums" come in to play.  All forums under this header are meant to be used for serious discussion only.  Please think before you post and only hit the submit button if you have a well thought out contribution.  Junk posts/threads do not belong here. These forums will be heavily moderated by the Forum Mods.  If they feel someone is too much of a nuisance, the offender could be banned from the forums.

(32) No drama: Keep the drama out of these forums.  If you get into it with someone, please at least keep it civil.  Or else both parties will be brigged.

May 16 09 01:08 am Link

Retoucher

9stitches

Los Angeles, California, US

Like they said; workflow shortcuts. I have 2 different "dodge and burn" actions: One creates a new layer in soft light mode, fills it with 50% gray and names it dodge and burn. The other creates two new layers, fills them both with gray, soft light, names one dodge, the other burn, groups them and selects the burn layer. I've recorded actions for high-pass filter-style  sharpening, edge mask-style sharpening, a red-eye reducer and some other little things I don't like to do over and over again. I don't always use them, though, they're pretty simple to do on autopilot.

If you're asking for the ultimate magazine model skin retouch, automated for your convenience, I don't think it exists. I think your question is valid, however, and checking out all the free actions online can be helpful, just to see other ways of doing things. A lot of them are not very useful to me, like bling bling text or something, but there's some hidden gems. Can't say what, because I've probably assimilated it into my workflow and forgotten where I stole it from. ;P

May 16 09 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Victors Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Any of you heard of lollipops actions? On a seminar they show them and I though they where cool just that they where $150

May 16 09 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

I dont have an action for this, but i often create a 50% grey layer, on overlay mode, and paint on it black and white with a very low fill rate - its a cool way of dodging and burning.

May 16 09 07:02 am Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

you know, photoshop actions I make are the main thing I forget to backup when I format my computer harddrives

May 16 09 08:48 am Link