Forums > General Industry > Get Nekid or Get Lost!

Photographer

PBK Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

Was reading another thread and this question came to mind...

Do you (photographers) require all (or a majority) of your TF* work to be some form of nude? Full, implied, topless included

Do you (models) give in to photographers (that you really want to shoot with) who will only shoot under those conditions?

Me- I used to require them during my first year or so but only with those who were comfy doing them. Not that it makes it excusable but we all make mistakes. Currently, I no longer require nudes to shoot a model TF* (I just require a one time sitting fee and will shoot models TF* for as long as we want to continue working together). I shoot some that are minors and I see no reason to not keep it a level playing field.

So everyone, what are your policies/practices?

Again as usual, please keep the smart ass remarks to your self. Just want to see where everyone stands on this issue.

Thanks!

Jul 23 09 08:09 pm Link

Model

Roxy Mae NFB

Tucson, Arizona, US

lemme get this right in order to shoot on a tf* basis i would have had to shoot nude?(according to your old policy)....wow

Jul 23 09 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

M2 Photography Studios

Canton, Georgia, US

I'm totally up to whatever the model wants to shoot. I have some nude castings but I don't requie anything but promptness and energy, and that they must have fun

Model

The Main Man

Sacramento, California, US

My first ever shoot here was for nudes. I wouldnt say I gave in, but I felt that I had to start somewhere

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

PBK Photography wrote:

Do you (photographers) require all (or a majority) of your TF* work to be some form of nude? Full, implied, topless included

Do you (models) give in to photographers (that you really want to shoot with) who will only shoot under those conditions?

Me- I used to require them during my first year or so but only with those who were comfy doing them. Not that it makes it excusable but we all make mistakes. Currently, I no longer require nudes to shoot a model TF* (I just require a one time sitting fee and will shoot models TF* for as long as we want to continue working together). I shoot some that are minors and I see no reason to not keep it a level playing field.

Again as usual, please keep the smart ass remarks to your self. Just want to see where everyone stands on this issue.

Thanks!

For shoots that do not require nudes, I do not require nudes.
For shoots that require nudes, I require nudes.

Model

The Main Man

Roxy Mae  NFB wrote:
lemme get this right in order to shoot on a tf* basis i would have had to shoot nude?(according to your old policy)....wow

lol I dont think he is the only one that has or had a policy like that

Jul 23 09 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

Roxy Mae  NFB wrote:

Yeah. It sounds like you have to pay a sitting fee or pay with your tits.

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

The Main Man wrote:

I never asked you to get naked.

Photographer

Bill Mason Photography

Morristown, Vermont, US

The Main Man wrote:

That policy would seem to really limit the number of models willing to shoot.

Jul 23 09 08:14 pm Link

Model

Roxy Mae NFB

Tucson, Arizona, US

The Main Man wrote:

i mean if i was a non nude model then i wouldnt even considering working with him. especially back when i first started with a policy like that i would have written him off

Jul 23 09 08:14 pm Link

Model

Roxy Mae NFB

Tucson, Arizona, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:

Yeah. It sounds like you have to pay a sitting fee or pay with your tits.

lol sounds like GWC talk to me big_smile

Jul 23 09 08:15 pm Link

Model

The Main Man

PYPI FASHION wrote:

I never asked you to get naked.

Sigh....I know, I just willingly do it tongue

Jul 23 09 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

PBK Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

Roxy Mae  NFB wrote:

To clarify- Yes (bad policy) It was only if you were willing (poor excuse) but the upside was I did learn how to do them well and that what most of my clients still come to me for.

Jul 23 09 08:16 pm Link

Model

The Main Man

Bill Mason Images wrote:
That policy would seem to really limit the number of models willing to shoot.

Well, Lets ask the op then. Ahem, Mr. OP, with your old policy, how many models still shot with you?

EDIT: and which 'nude' thread was it exactly? There must have been like 5 or 6 threads complainin about havin to get nakey just to get shot goin on today

Jul 23 09 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

PBK Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

Roxy Mae  NFB wrote:

Yep! It was GWC talk!

See, I do still have a sense of humor even when getting bashed. smile

Jul 23 09 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

Roxy Mae  NFB wrote:

Well at least he's upfront about it. Saves everyone a lot of time.

Jul 23 09 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Mason Photography

Morristown, Vermont, US

PBK Photography wrote:

To clarify- Yes (bad policy) It was only if you were willing (poor excuse) but the upside was I did learn how to do them well and that what most of my clients still come to me for.

I'm curious...how did your policy contribute to your learning how to shoot the nudes well? I fail to see a logical connection.

Jul 23 09 08:21 pm Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

The Main Man wrote:
My first ever shoot here was for nudes. I wouldnt say I gave in, but I felt that I had to start somewhere

and we appreciate the work! ;p

Jul 23 09 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Lots of model get nude faster than I can set up the lights, after I tell them "feel free to do whatever you want".

Jul 23 09 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

PBK Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

The Main Man wrote:

Well, Lets ask the op then. Ahem, Mr. OP, with your old policy, how many models still shot with you?

Actaully... several still will. Most had no desire to model and they still dont. They eventually became paying clients. They were wanting nudes for their significant others and figured they would for the free photos.

Those that I dont shoot I just lost touch with.

There are a couple I just recently made contact with again and they are looking forward to shooting with me again. Never had a bad experience. The few who did change their mind after showing up to the shoot about shooting nude still got shot. I just stayed within their comfort zone. I learned quickly that a bad nude shot, is still a bad shot and therefore not usuable.

The policy didnt stay in effect for very long but it was there no the less sad

Jul 23 09 08:23 pm Link

Model

The Main Man

Bill Mason Images wrote:

I'm curious...how did your policy contribute to your learning how to shoot the nudes well? I fail to see a logical connection.

Well, Model got the images they wanted. At the same time, he got to practice shooting naked women. I would think thats how he learned. The more models that approached=the more Nakey women he got to practice with

Jul 23 09 08:24 pm Link

Model

Roxy Mae NFB

Tucson, Arizona, US

PBK Photography wrote:

i can see it now

"No TF* unless you are willing to show me your tities, otherwise here are my rate:...."

big_smile
so other words pay me to photographer you clothed which is not fun or exciting or show me your tities so i can be "excited" about the shoot. lol

Jul 23 09 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

PBK Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

Bill Mason Images wrote:

I had several girls come to me willing to shoot nude. Trial and error until I figured out what looked right and what didnt.

Jul 23 09 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Travis Sackett

Reno, Nevada, US

what if the photographer has plenty of awesome clothed fashion and glamour photos in his portfolio and already makes money from it, but is really wanting to jump into the nude photography, but he doesn't have any?

is it wrong for him at that point to only offer nudes for tfp?

- Travis Sackett
www.TravisSackett.com

Photographer

Svend

Windsor, Colorado, US

PBK Photography wrote:

Thanks!

Not being a smart ass here, but I really can't address the question of "where I stand" until I clear this up.  You asked models in general if they would "give in" to a photographer requiring nudes... what about models that shoot exclusively nudes or prefer them? (I've worked with many that operate this way)  In that case, they would be "giving in" to shoot clothed...  it just always seems the photographer gets the label of the hunter and the model the hunted.  Models seek out photographers as well.

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

You are a somewhat confusing person. Your shoot criteria seems at least distorted, and some of the statements you made on your folio page escape me. For instance, what does this mean... "As you can see through my work, I am NOT your typical picture taking photographer. I direct all shoots."

Photographer

PBK Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:

For shoots that do not require nudes, I do not require nudes.
For shoots that require nudes, I require nudes.

See thats the way I think about it. If I have shoot in mind that would normally require some degree of nudity but I find a girl who would fit the physically but doesnt care to shoot nude, I'll modify the shoot for her and get it done.

Jul 23 09 08:26 pm Link

Model

The Main Man

Frances Jewel wrote:

and we appreciate the work! ;p

*blushes* Thank you big_smile

Jul 23 09 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Svend

Windsor, Colorado, US

Robert Randall wrote:
You are a somewhat confusing person. Your shoot criteria seems at least distorted, and some of the statements you made on your folio page escape me. For instance, what does this mean... "As you can see through my work, I am NOT your typical picture taking photographer. I direct all shoots."

Thank you for pointing that out... I hadn't gone as far as looking at his port yet.

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

I'm confused.

Model

The Main Man

Roxy Mae  NFB wrote:

i can see it now

"No TF* unless you are willing to show me your tities, otherwise here are my rate:...."

big_smile
so other words pay me to photographer you clothed which is not fun or exciting or show me your tities so i can be "excited" about the shoot. lol

lol lol I SWEAR I have seen that before! lol lol

Jul 23 09 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

PBK Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

Sackett Studios wrote:
what if the photographer has plenty of awesome clothed fashion and glamour photos in his portfolio and already makes money from it, but is really wanting to jump into the nude photography, but he doesn't have any?

is it wrong for him at that point to only offer nudes for tfp?

- Travis Sackett
www.TravisSackett.com

I would say it would be appropriate as long as he/she stated the reason. Otherwise it could look bad.

See how I'm getting bashed and I admitted to the policy and this was a few years ago!

Jul 23 09 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

afterexposure

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I used to shoot whatever the model wanted; it kept me busy and my flake rate was really low because the models were getting a shoot that really interested them, and helped their portfolios. So it was never a 'show for shoot' type of trade; but there were no restrictions either way (PYPI said it best).

Recently I started doing less glam, and no nudes for TF*. The more I advertised that fact, the fewer overall shoot offers I got.

I would have thought it would be the other way around; but no.

I figure if I took all the newer (and better) shots out of my port and put back all the older and more sexy / nekkid stuff I'd be super busy again.

Weird.

Jul 23 09 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

PBK Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

Svend wrote:

Not being a smart ass here, but I really can't address the question of "where I stand" until I clear this up.  You asked models in general if they would "give in" to a photographer requiring nudes... what about models that shoot exclusively nudes or prefer them? (I've worked with many that operate this way)  In that case, they would be "giving in" to shoot clothed...  it just always seems the photographer gets the label of the hunter and the model the hunted.  Models seek out photographers as well.

To clarify- This would be for those who under normal circumstances would not shoot any form of nude.

Photographer

Bad Ass Photography

Cheyenne, Wyoming, US

My time is very limited.  If I have a model that wants do do a TF* shoot, and a model that wants to do a TF* shoot with nudes, and I have to choose one or the other, it's pretty obvious which one I am going with. 
If I have one model who wants to do TF*, and she is exceptionally hot, and the other model is willing to do nudes, but isn't quite as hot, I might still lean towards the one willing to do nudes. 

As far as I am concerned, GWC stands for Girls Without Clothes,...lol.

side note:  I don't really ever have a policy regarding this,... It would be pointless since I have a tendency to disregard policies.

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

PBK Photography wrote:

See thats the way I think about it. If I have shoot in mind that would normally require some degree of nudity but I find a girl who would fit the physically but doesnt care to shoot nude, I'll modify the shoot for her and get it done.

Please don't say you think the way I do. It's embarrassing for me.

Jul 23 09 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

PBK Photography wrote:
See how I'm getting bashed and I admitted to the policy and this was a few years ago!

I've done a lot of stupid things in the past. Fortunately, it never occurred to me to voluntarily admit to them on a public forum without even being asked.

Jul 23 09 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Svend

Windsor, Colorado, US

PBK Photography wrote:

To clarify- This would be for those who under normal circumstances would not shoot any form of nude.

Aha...  That's an important clarification.

I still can't answer that question, as it doesn't apply to me.  At least I understand your direction a little more though.

Jul 23 09 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

Robert Randall wrote:

You know, I have to say, I love seeing Bob's post in pretty much any forum. I have no idea if that avatar is you, nor does it matter... but it always adds a bit of je ne' sai qua to the thread.

wink

/threadjack

Jul 23 09 08:33 pm Link

Model

Joa La Reina

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I wouldn't give in to photographers if those were the conditions even if I really really wanted to work with them.
I think nude is beautiful but my family is super religious so . . .yeee, I'm the "rebel" because I party and have a belly ring . . like, wtf?

Jul 23 09 08:34 pm Link