Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Can you change backround and maintain quality ?

Photographer

aso studio

Los Angeles, California, US

for any picture , not blue or green screen.

Aug 11 09 10:41 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

um..yes...if I have to.

Aug 11 09 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Fluid Mask is excellent for this

Aug 11 09 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Question is... why would you want to?

Aug 11 09 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Stewart Photo

Houston, Texas, US

This is all cut out: http://modelmayhm-8.vo.llnwd.net/d1/pho … 3d2bb9.jpg

You can still keep the quality, you just have to be very tedious and take your time cutting the image out. The plugins that cut out the backgrounds for you don't always do a very good job, the best way (but also the one that requires the most work) is to create a clipping path around the subject.

Aug 11 09 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

aso studio

William Kious wrote:

Sometimes you have a shot that you think will look better in a different enviroment.

Aug 11 09 10:56 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

aso  studio wrote:

Sometimes you have a shot that you think will look better in a different enviroment.

in my case its almost always big_smile

Aug 11 09 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

aso studio

Koray wrote:

lol... true...

Aug 11 09 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Lifestyle_Photographer

Groton, Connecticut, US

You can in just about anything but it becomes harder when the shot was planned out to be knocked.

- Stephen

Aug 11 09 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

aso studio

Brian Stewart Photo wrote:

You can still keep the quality, you just have to be very tedious and take your time cutting the image out. The plugins that cut out the backgrounds for you don't always do a very good job, the best way (but also the one that requires the most work) is to create a clipping path around the subject.

You are a master !

https://modelmayhm-8.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/081212/19/494302a3d2bb9.jpg

Aug 11 09 11:02 pm Link

Retoucher

OutsideTheBox Imaging

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Yes it can be done, it just takes patience and a good eye to ensure the clipping path is accurate. Just be sure to take lots of breaks from starring at the computer screen or else your eyes are going to screw up very quickly!

My port on MM has a few examples of it smile
(including this one - a black on black extraction...I was going cross eyed by the end of it!! http://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/pho … 744a6c.jpg )

Aug 11 09 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Pelle Piano

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I usually do bluescreen work. Heres one I did for a challenge here on MM I image from https://www.modelmayhem.com/348756 ).I used the Extract Tool.

https://lh6.ggpht.com/_AirWc2oO-7k/SoJ5qMx_-RI/AAAAAAAABWs/2Cg49QkvPJw/s800/mayhem_airlines_ab_70.jpg

Aug 12 09 01:16 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

aso  studio wrote:

In reference to the image you posted...

Aug 12 09 01:21 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

uh huh! Cross eyed syndrome is a side effect of Photoshop cutting out. Unless your crosseyed your not doing it right (Relax!! I'm joking!)

Aug 12 09 04:34 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

aso  studio wrote:

You are a master !

http://modelmayhm-8.vo.llnwd.net/d1/pho … 3d2bb9.jpg

Please link this image instead of displaying it in the forum as it's a violation of MM rules and is considered mature subject matter.

Specifically....

(11) NSFW (Not Safe For Work): Please refrain from posting any NSFW images anywhere in the forums or directly on your profile page.  The includes 18+ photos, grotesque rotten.com style photos or anything of the like.

and

ALLOWED ON MM, BUT MUST BE MARKED
Shots that contain:

- Female nipple or areola
- Bare buttocks
- Flaccid penises
- Pubic area
- Bondage
- Depictions of blood
- Depictions of violence *

- See through clothing which shows any of the above

Aug 12 09 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Ellen Griffin Fantasy Art

Roanoke, Virginia, US

Sometimes you take a picture then a interesting idea poses itself the color photo was taken at a antique shop and the fuzzy hat just looked like it belonged in a Russian type picture with a snowstorm
so i took out the background added a new background then converted to b and w to give it the old look.

https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d170/goffyfucker/moscow.jpg

Aug 12 09 05:39 am Link

Artist/Painter

E Clark 2

Hamilton, Ohio, US

Koray wrote:

+1

Aug 12 09 06:06 am Link

Photographer

ebarb

Rochester, New York, US

While some will answer, "sure you can" reality is that is simply not true.  It all depends on what separation you had between the foreground and background, how wild and or blurry/sharp the hair is,  what new background the image will be going into and of course how big is it going to be used!

Internet used pretty small...sure why not...commercail work, then not always!

Classic example would be a blond women shot on a white background where her hair "blends into" the background....try putting that on a dark colored background...good luck....the ends of her hair are simply not there...

in other words, every shot cannot be changed with good quality....if it's planned out for that purpose, then sure, you can shoot it in a manner than makes it possible with high quality!

Aug 12 09 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Its not just about "cutting out" but also about maintaining correct lighting. If the shadows got the wrong way (for example) it always looks fake.

Aug 12 09 09:41 am Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Moderator Warning!

William Kious wrote:

No.

That is not the question here.

If you'd like an answer to that, please feel free to start a thread on that topic; do not disrupt this one further.

Aug 12 09 11:03 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Yes. The links below take you to the original images used in my avatar.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=7200592

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=7200583

Aug 12 09 11:07 am Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

And that's often the easy part. I disagree that the pen tool is the best solution for extracting humans and animals--I usually use existing channel data for things with hair and fur--but no matter how you handle the separate parts, that's just the mechanical aspect.

What's at least as important is how well the components work together: color, contrast, lighting direction/size/color, etc. usually contribute as much to the believability of a composite as the quality of the selection itself.

Aug 12 09 11:10 am Link

Photographer

shooter 88

Houston, Texas, US

I don't thnk you have to use blue or green, try to keep a solid color will do and less busy in the background.

Aug 12 09 11:13 am Link

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

Yes.

Aug 12 09 03:45 pm Link

Retoucher

Elle May

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

ebarb wrote:
Classic example would be a blond women shot on a white background where her hair "blends into" the background....try putting that on a dark colored background...good luck....the ends of her hair are simply not there...

It can be done. It just requires you to take the extra time to repaint and texture the hair that was lost. The biggest issue with changing backgrounds for me is lighting. This can also be rectified, but with a lot of patience and time most.

Aug 14 09 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Rafael Telles

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

aso  studio wrote:

lol... true...

If I was a bad ass Photoshop user like Koray, I would change my backgrounds too for some pics.. But I suck doing composite images sad

Aug 14 09 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Aesthete Studios

Oakland, New Jersey, US

Impressive. Most impressive.

Aug 14 09 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Alexander Publishing

Houston, Texas, US

I can change backgrounds (not just green or blue screen) and also
maintain the image quality if the quality is at least 1024 x 768.

Aug 14 09 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

RSM-images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

"Can you change backround and maintain quality ?"

Yes, I can.

neutral

Aug 14 09 07:17 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

I only wish I could... sad

Aug 14 09 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

PANHEAD PHOTOGRAPHY

San Francisco, California, US

MMDesign wrote:
Yes. The links below take you to the original images used in my avatar.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=7200592

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=7200583

You a bad ass, I mean that in a good way.

Aug 14 09 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Tytaniafairy

Evansville, Indiana, US

Half of my port , so yes ...

Aug 14 09 09:46 pm Link

Retoucher

Virtuoso Skins

Asheville, North Carolina, US

My avatar is a lot of cut outs and a lot of composites.

There are a gaggle of ways to remove backgrounds, some work better than others depending on the image. Threshold, channels, magic wand, extraction tool, pen tool, quick mask took etc etc etc...

Almost always I find myself using the polygon tool do do the cleanest work. Which is the same as alt(open apple)+lasso except more flexible and similar to the pen tool.

Also a lot of times I'm not removing/replacing backgrounds, doing things with the foreground I don't want overlapping to the background, or selecting parts of the foreground for mock DOF.

For the record I have never found a quick, good, reliable way to remove backgrounds. I hear some programs are good, and I even did a couple trials and was disappointed.

So until I'm enlightened, it's the old fashioned way for me smile

Aug 14 09 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Tytaniafairy

Evansville, Indiana, US

Virtuoso Skins wrote:
My avatar is a lot of cut outs and a lot of composites.

There are a gaggle of ways to remove backgrounds, some work better than others depending on the image. Threshold, channels, magic wand, extraction tool, pen tool, quick mask took etc etc etc...

Almost always I find myself using the polygon tool do do the cleanest work. Which is the same as alt(open apple)+lasso except more flexible and similar to the pen tool.

Also a lot of times I'm not removing/replacing backgrounds, doing things with the foreground I don't want overlapping to the background, or selecting parts of the foreground for mock DOF.

For the record I have never found a quick, good, reliable way to remove backgrounds. I hear some programs are good, and I even did a couple trials and was disappointed.

So until I'm enlightened, it's the old fashioned way for me smile

There is definatly no easy way to remove a background or at least for me . Even when you remove a background you have to match up the tonal levels on the model with the new background etc...

Aug 14 09 10:01 pm Link

Retoucher

Elle May

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Virtuoso Skins wrote:

I too use the polygon tool. Usually I zoom in to about 200% to make sure I'm being really accurate. It takes forever, but it saves you time later down the line fiddling about with the eraser tool because you've missed loads, or having to repaint a bunch of stuff because you used a quick fix like magic eraser that deleted stuff you wanted to keep.

Aug 15 09 09:22 am Link

Retoucher

Jessica Loewen Retouch

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Kevin_Connery wrote:
What's at least as important is how well the components work together: color, contrast, lighting direction/size/color, etc. usually contribute as much to the believability of a composite as the quality of the selection itself.

I 100% agree.  I'm sure most of us can cut out an image but I still refuse jobs where a client (most often a model) will as me to put them in a different background.  They simply don't understand how it works and think that just pasting them into anything is going to look great....

I used to accept jobs like this, and WARN the client that it would most likely look odd because of lighting, different image qualities, etc.  When they STILL asked me to still go ahead with it I would...only for them to not be happy and decide they didn't want the image.  Too much time wasted for bad results, now I just say no.

Aug 15 09 04:09 pm Link