Model

Nikolette Amani

Augusta, Georgia, US

I am working with a photographer who is good at editing his images, but there is a specific thing that I wanted done to one of the pictures that he isn't skilled at.

I have a friend who does alot of editing and she can do exactly what I had pictured, so I asked if he minds someone else working on that one.  He didn't mind at all and is excited to see the finished product.  He actually sent me two cds of most of the high res. images we shot.  On the CDs are jpeg files and NEF files of each.  The NEF files are 12-15MB while the jpegs are 1-2MB. 

I know jpeg files aren't the best to work on, but I have never heard of NEF files (I always hear about RAW files).  I would think they are better because of the size.  I can't bring them up on my computer... I'm guessing I don't have the right program or something.  So my question is what are NEF files and are they better for photoshopping?

Aug 21 09 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

gzone

Lancaster, California, US

Nikon RAW files. for me I convert them in NX software that come with the camera to Tiff files.

Aug 21 09 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Larry Dandridge

Edmond, Oklahoma, US

Nikon raw files...CS4 or Lightroom 2 will open them.

Aug 21 09 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Flint, Michigan, US

Larry Dandridge wrote:

Depending on what camera these NEF's came from earlier versions of each will open them. Even Photoshop Elements.

Aug 21 09 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

Larry Dandridge wrote:

Hopefully, her friend should have no problem, assuming she knows what she's doing. wink

Aug 21 09 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Skydancer wrote:

Hopefully, her friend should have no problem, assuming she knows what she's doing. wink

I agree, if the friend does a lot of retouching, they should know what a NEF is.

Aug 21 09 05:13 pm Link

Model

Nikolette Amani

Augusta, Georgia, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

I agree, if the friend does a lot of retouching, they should know what a NEF is.

Haven't gotten with her yet... just wanted to know what I had first.

Aug 21 09 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Supermodel Photographer

Oyster Bay, New York, US

It's a good thing you have the NEFs, because at 1-2MB each it sounds like those jpeg are of very low quality.

Aug 21 09 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

J Sharp

Sacramento, California, US

Download a trial copy of Nikon's Capture NX2 (you have 60 days to use it).  Let me know if you need the link.  I highly suggest using NX2 over photoshop in your case.  NX2 will read and apply the camera settings to the RAW files (NEF's).  Photoshop will open the file but apply no settings so the files may appear dull and unsharpened.

Aug 21 09 05:46 pm Link

Retoucher

OutsideTheBox Imaging

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Also if you're curious to see what you have, and don't want to spend money - Google's Picasa (the latest version) will open them up for you to see as well.

http://picasa.google.com/

Aug 21 09 07:05 pm Link