Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > I need help from true expert. Please

Photographer

P-Nuts and Hair Doos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I found a thread, and a response from a photographer named Grahamsz. I absolutely love the result from the demo he posted. The only problem is I don't an effing word of it. I've been practicing photoshop for under a year. I'm sure you all know that ranks you below novice.
Is there anyone that can explain these steps more clearly than they are here?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … ost9709595

I'll bake you cookies if you can help me out here.
Cheers

Aug 21 09 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

P-Nuts and Hair Doos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I just read it again. Seriously it's in Latin, right? 

"I then use photons 2 pixels action above to perform spatial frequency separation using a 5px blur".

Really!!!???

Aug 21 09 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

iHartPhotos

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

P-Nuts and Hair Doos wrote:
"photons 2 pixels action above

LOL

'photons 2 pixels' is the name of the person that posted 2 posts above the one you linked to.
Its not anything fancy - you're over thinking it.

He ran that action at a setting of 5px, I imagine. I can't say for sure without seeing the action in use.

Aug 21 09 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

P-Nuts and Hair Doos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I downloaded the actions as well. The low frequency layer didn't work just by clicking, and I didn't know enough to create it on my own. I'm too new to understand all of the lingo here. Thank you for pointing out that the photons 2 pixels was just the guys name. Just an oversight, not a complete mouth-breather posting here. Funny though.

I guess I'm kind of asking someone who knows this stuff inside and out to explain the step by step like you would explain it to a child.
A malnourished child with a A.D.D and a low IQ.
Cheers

Aug 21 09 09:17 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

Make sure you're using the basic action:http://www.nunuvyer.biz/Photoshop/Frequency.zip

Unzip the file, then put the .atn file into your Photoshop folder in the preset, action subfolder.

Open your document, and change the mode to 16 bit.

Flatten your image.

Target the merged layer, and open the actions pallet.

Change the action window's options by click on the small menu icon in the upper right and change it to button mode.

Target your background layer and click the action from the list.

When it asks for a gaussian blur, keep sliding the bar around until you find the spot right where the fine detail goes away. For a very small image, this could be 1-2. For medium size, 2-4 and large 4-10, just so you have a rough idea. Don't just go by those numbers, find the perfect spot for your image.

Now you can clone and run a smart-sharpen the high frequency layer

Convert the low frequency layer to a smart object, then run a surface blur on it until you see the unpleasant tones even out but the shadows maintain their integrity. Invert the mask of the blur, and paint it only on the areas that need it.

Also it's fun to play with a clipped to high frequency curves adjustment. Create the curves adjustment layer above the high frequency layer, then click the "clip" icon in the adjustment layers panel. This keeps the curves layer from affecting the low frequency layer and allows you to add contrast/adjust the tones of the fine detail of the image.

Aug 21 09 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

mikedimples wrote:
Make sure you're using the basic action:http://www.nunuvyer.biz/Photoshop/Frequency.zip

Unzip the file, then put the .atn file into your Photoshop folder in the preset, action subfolder.

Open your document, and change the mode to 16 bit.

Flatten your image.

Target the merged layer, and open the actions pallet.

Change the action window's options by click on the small menu icon in the upper right and change it to button mode.

Target your background layer and click the action from the list.

When it asks for a gaussian blur, keep sliding the bar around until you find the spot right where the fine detail goes away. For a very small image, this could be 1-2. For medium size, 2-4 and large 4-10, just so you have a rough idea. Don't just go by those numbers, find the perfect spot for your image.

Now you can clone and run a smart-sharpen the high frequency layer

Convert the low frequency layer to a smart object, then run a surface blur on it until you see the unpleasant tones even out but the shadows maintain their integrity. Invert the mask of the blur, and paint it only on the areas that need it.

Also it's fun to play with a clipped to high frequency curves adjustment. Create the curves adjustment layer above the high frequency layer, then click the "clip" icon in the adjustment layers panel. This keeps the curves layer from affecting the low frequency layer and allows you to add contrast/adjust the tones of the fine detail of the image.

There's now actually an easier way. I posted up a new action set. And it includes the clipped curves on the HF layer. smile

http://www.nunuvyer.biz/Photoshop/Frequency-A.zip

This has 3 actions within. One for 8 bit, one for 16 bit, and one for earlier versions of Photoshop.

When you run this, you will be presented with a GB dialog.

When presented with the GB dialog, adjust it down until you start seeing the detail. If you see detail adjust up until the detail you want to preserve just goes away.

Here is a link to a nice explanation of it....

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st10697093

If that doesn't explain well enough, please let me know and if you could, can you post in the Highpass thread? There may be others having the same trouble. smile

Aug 22 09 03:01 am Link

Photographer

d00dle

kool.

@Photons 2 Pixels Images, what is in your action? Im very curious to know.

Aug 22 09 03:29 am Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Download it, unzip, load the action, set to list mode, expand all steps and read.

Aug 22 09 09:36 am Link

Photographer

d00dle

ok, after runnin actions, I got...Sharp Mask and Freq groups. I know what's in sharp mask group, however, having a bit trouble in Freq group because im not sure what Tone layer is for. also, i get G Blur dialog like 3-4 times.

Aug 22 09 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

d00dle wrote:
ok, after runnin actions, I got...Sharp Mask and Freq groups. I know what's in sharp mask group, however, having a bit trouble in Freq group because im not sure what Tone layer is for. also, i get G Blur dialog like 3-4 times.

Did you download the action set I posted here? If you have a Freq group, I'm guessing you downloaded the one mikedimples linked. And yes, you will get the GB dialog multiple times in that one. I've simplified it quite a bit in the action set I posted here. I also linked to a post I made in the other thread that explains how I use it.

I really recommend downloading the newest action set...the one with the A.

Honest, I'm not trying to brush anyone off. I'll answer any questions I can on this. However, you will find that if you post in that Highpass thread, you will get quicker and better help than I can give alone in scattered threads and from more people who know more about it than I do.

Aug 22 09 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

bvp

Houston, Texas, US

Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,

Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,

Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,

Plug it, play it, burn it, rip it,
Drag and drop it, zip - unzip it,

Lock it, fill it, call it, find it,
View it, code it, jam - unlock it,

Surf it, scroll it, pause it, click it,
Cross it, crack it, switch - update it,

Name it, rate it, tune it, print it,
Scan it, send it, fax - rename it,

Touch it, bring it, Pay it, watch it,
Turn it, leave it, start - format it.

Aug 23 09 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

Brian Vogel wrote:

wtf?

neutral

Aug 23 09 01:18 pm Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

Skydancer wrote:
wtf?

I gotta agree here with Skydancer.....

and YES!! I'm not the only one who didnt get the "photons 2 pixels" thing! lol I'm fecking sorted now!

Thanks guys!

Aug 23 09 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Photons, Does your action work with Photoshop Elements?

Aug 23 09 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Skydancer wrote:

wtf?

neutral

Daft Punk, Technologic. Not sure what the point is either.

Aug 23 09 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

David Scott wrote:
Photons, Does your action work with Photoshop Elements?

I honestly wish I could tell you. I don't have a copy of Elements to try it out on.

All I can say is to download it and try it. Try the PS7 action if neither of the other two work for you.

If it doesn't work, please let me know. I'll have to figure out the differences between them at that point and try to come up with a solution for you. smile

Aug 23 09 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Ni Anluain wrote:

I gotta agree here with Skydancer.....

and YES!! I'm not the only one who didnt get the "photons 2 pixels" thing! lol I'm fecking sorted now!

Thanks guys!

hienvy

Aug 23 09 05:57 pm Link