Forums > Photography Talk > Lightinng Through Venetian Blinds

Photographer

LimaDigitalArt Project

Lima, Ohio, US

I tried that today with only moderate success.

Does anyone have any experience or tips for creating the effect of striped light?

Sep 27 09 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

University City, Missouri, US

LimaDigitalArt Project wrote:

Does anyone have any experience or tips for creating the effect of striped light?

Tell us more what kind of light etc
L2

Sep 27 09 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bates

Austin, Texas, US

You need a window that is going to get direct sunlight - you can adjust the blinds to allow as much as you want to come through. Also..have the model as close as possible to the light source (the window). Adjust your aperture so you don't get "blown" stripes on the model's face, etc.

Just a thought.

Sep 27 09 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Fast Trax

Jenison, Michigan, US

Are you tring to shine a shadow pattern on your subject, or are you looking for a light/dark pattern for the background?

Sep 27 09 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

Do you mean you want to create the shadow of the blinds on the model? Move the light source far away from the blinds for a hard shadow.

Sep 27 09 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Nine Women

Dallas, Texas, US

My experience with creating photos with light stripes from sunlight through blinds is that it's not quite as easy as it looks.  Several times when I've seen photos where the light and dark stripes look pretty dramatic, it turned out that the photographer created the stripes by hanging blinds in front of a strobe in the studio.

Sep 27 09 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

Nine Women wrote:
My experience with creating photos with light stripes from sunlight through blinds is that it's not quite as easy as it looks.  Several times when I've seen photos where the light and dark stripes look pretty dramatic, it turned out that the photographer created the stripes by hanging blinds in front of a strobe in the studio.

Yes. It's better to create your own light source. It's hard to move the sun. You have to wait for the right time of year and it takes a long time to move the sun from one position to another. Once it moves, you can't move it back...until the next day.

Sep 27 09 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

TG Cocciolone

Garner, North Carolina, US

I use this lighting effect in glamour work, but had purchased a pattern maker for my strobe light.  this works great!

Sep 27 09 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Picastick

Atlanta, Georgia, US

TG Cocciolone wrote:

I use this lighting effect in glamour work, but had purchased a pattern maker for my strobe light.  this works great!

In my experience, I've discovered that the primary problem I run into with blinds is that the usual light source is the sun. This is great and all, but what we have to remember is that the sun is not just shining through the blinds, but every surface the sun is reflecting off of outside is shining through the window, causing there to be a lack nice, defined lines shining in. Picking an environment carefully, in that case, is really hard to do, and very important, so you just end up with a solitary light source.

Sep 27 09 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

NICHOLFOTO

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Ah hell just send me the photograph and I will do it in post for you :-)

Sep 27 09 07:59 pm Link

Retoucher

dA-gA Photo Editing

Telford, Pennsylvania, US

Cucoloris

Sep 27 09 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

I've had FAR better success just using a strobe outside to act as the sun.  Just place it as far from the window as you can without losing the effect you want if it's turned up all the way.  I'll find an example shot here in a sec.

Sep 27 09 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

todas_las_caras

Susnet or sunrise are good times, otherwise light can be too bright.

I've decided it's a cliche like railroad tracks and caution tape. But then again, I've only done one shoot with angel wings so what do I know.

Sep 27 09 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Galaviz

El Paso, Illinois, US

Post hidden on Sep 28, 2009 12:19 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Please do not make BS posts in the industry forums.

Sep 27 09 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Nine Women

Dallas, Texas, US

Allthefaces wrote:
Susnet or sunrise are good times, otherwise light can be too bright.

I've decided it's a cliche like railroad tracks and caution tape. But then again, I've only done one shoot with angel wings so what do I know.

IMHO - if it's done well, it's not all that cliched...I've seen some pretty awesome, dramatic shots with the "light through blinds" effect!

Also, unlike railroad tracks, caution tape, etc. - this lighting effect can be just one element of any number of concepts...giving whatever concept it's used with some extra "punch".

'Just my 2 cents...

Sep 27 09 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Strange Babes

Los Angeles, California, US

how about this? hang a set of blinds on a c-stand and blow a strobe/hmi/quartz source through them... that's basically how it's done in the real world $.02

Sep 27 09 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

X-processed FW

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I had here few minutes while sun was hitting through the blinds. Adjusted ambient to have slight overexposure on the skin, then added strobe from the back and balanced with daylight. Model was about 5 feet from the blinds.
https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090203/17/4988eed67e491_m.jpg

Sep 27 09 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Barebulb from a distance...

https://pbprophoto.net/rena300.jpg

On this one, I hung a blind from a background stand. I placed the light about 10ft up & off to the left (about 20 ft away). I used a 22" beautydish for fill on the right...

Paul

Sep 28 09 01:01 am Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

Using continuous lighting ( Mole 750 ) with fresnel lens helps you alot since you can focus the light and be very percise about the sharpness of shadow you want to cast... The fresnel lens does all the work for you :-)

Cheers

JeanD

Sep 28 09 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Time to Shoot

Arlington, Virginia, US

This is not lighting thru the blinds, but shooting thru the blinds. (not what you asked, I guess)

https://fc09.deviantart.com/fs51/f/2009/271/8/a/Thru_the_blinds_by_largeformatguy.jpg

Sep 28 09 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Jonas Gunn

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

PYPI FASHION wrote:

Yes. It's better to create your own light source. It's hard to move the sun. You have to wait for the right time of year and it takes a long time to move the sun from one position to another. Once it moves, you can't move it back...until the next day.

unless you've got massive jazz hands and really thick gloves.

Sep 28 09 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:

i would say it's easier.....but not always better......

Sep 28 09 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Moon Pix Photography

Syracuse, New York, US

X-processed FashionWerk wrote:
I had here few minutes while sun was hitting through the blinds. Adjusted ambient to have slight overexposure on the skin, then added strobe from the back and balanced with daylight. Model was about 5 feet from the blinds.
https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090203/17/4988eed67e491_m.jpg

Love the top one smile

Sep 28 09 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

once I made a lot of money on a shot I saw by accident. the shadows on my kitchen cabinets. they looked cool at the time and so thought 100 people that bought the prints in the following 6 months.

Sep 28 09 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Moon Pix Photography

Syracuse, New York, US

Sungoddess Studios wrote:
once I made a lot of money on a shot I saw by accident the shadows on my kitchen cabinets looked cool at the time and so thought 100 people that bought the prints in the following 6 months.

I am sorry, I have no idea what you just said.

Sep 28 09 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:

thus the cut up bed sheets on my skylights. take a blind and hang it in font of a 200-300w light a beautydish will work. the other lighting should be around 100-150w

iso 400 should compansate for the lack of light.

Sep 28 09 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Moon Pix Photography

Syracuse, New York, US

TG Cocciolone wrote:

Anybody made their own Pattern Maker?  Tips?

Sep 28 09 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

Moon Pix Photography wrote:

I am sorry, I have no idea what you just said.

I'll add punctuation.

Photographer

Tez Mercer Photography

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

It's easy to shoot that kind of light.

Whenever I do it, I shoot in raw (jpegs minimize dynamic range, and there's a lot of it), and either lower the exposure by -1 stop, or i spot meter on the highlight parts and set that to +1 exposure then shoot.

Cameras have a hard time metering correctly for this kind of high-contrast scene so you'll need to help it out. If you just point and shoot it'll overexpose the highlights and underexpose the shadows, which could be fixed in post with a lot of ballache, but why bother when you don't have to?

Another thing is to set the contrast as low as you can in the camera because you can always bring this back up later.

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

I'm still trying to figure out the sunbeam effect. I never get it where I want it.

Sep 28 09 08:59 am Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Woodland Hills, California, US

I use Trader Joe's coffee cans:

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/2120516539_8916c74613.jpg?v=0

They make a pretty groovy snoot, and you can cut the soft plastic lid into any shape you want. Cut the entire center out and use it as a ring for holding gobos.

The inner rim fits an AB perfectly.

Sep 28 09 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Liteguy

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Cheap, easy and consistent results.

Rent an ellisoidal spotlight (leko) from your local theatrical rental house. Buy a pattern (gobo) and project the image over the model.

You can adjust the focus from hard edge to slightly soft. While you are renting the light, you now own the pattern.

The light rental is usually $20.00 and the purchase price on the pattern is around $15.00. Make sure the light comes with a TVMP (stud) adaptor so it fits on the top of your stands.

Apollo Design makes great patterns and their pattern number 6029, 4000, 4003 will give you the effect you want.

Sep 28 09 09:07 am Link

Photographer

MartinImages

Los Angeles, California, US

Liteguy wrote:
Cheap, easy and consistent results.

Rent an ellisoidal spotlight (leko) from your local theatrical rental house. Buy a pattern (gobo) and project the image over the model.

You can adjust the focus from hard edge to slightly soft. While you are renting the light, you now own the pattern.

The light rental is usually $20.00 and the purchase price on the pattern is around $15.00. Make sure the light comes with a TVMP (stud) adaptor so it fits on the top of your stands.

Apollo Design makes great patterns and their pattern number 6029, 4000, 4003 will give you the effect you want.

This is a good option if you don't mind shooting hot lights and cranking the ISO a bit.

I'm gonna guess that your light was pretty close to the blinds you were shooting through.

You need some serious distance between the strobe head and the blinds to get a sharp edge.

Then your light spills past the blinds, usually..so you need to snoot and/or flag everything to keep the light on the blinds and not everywhere else.

Sun works great..cuz it's a very far away point source.    So you get nice focused sharp edges.  Which is why faces look like crap during bright sunlight overhead.

Try it again in a bigger space...you can even tin foil a snoot to keep the light narrow.

smile

B

Sep 28 09 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Time to Shoot

Arlington, Virginia, US

Foamcore, cut pattern(s), hang in front of flash or hot light, move in and out to get the pattern looking the way you want it

Sep 28 09 09:18 am Link

Photographer

David Birdsong

Pontiac, Michigan, US

I have used an old slide projector as my light source to achieve the look you are after...

Sep 28 09 09:19 am Link

Photographer

byebyemm222

ADAK, Alaska, US

What I found works best is that you have to exaggerate the effect. With any light source short of a fresnel or the sun, you'll simply have too much softness by the time it reaches your subject for it to read right (the stripes kinda disappear). I find that removing 2, then leaving 2 of the blind slats gives a better effect. I'll try to find a sample, but I can say that this worked quite well in combination with a standard 11 inch reflector on the strobe with the strobe about 15 feet from the slats (and the slats about 6 feet from the subject).

Sep 28 09 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Art Schotz

Lima, Ohio, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:
Do you mean you want to create the shadow of the blinds on the model? Move the light source far away from the blinds for a hard shadow.

Thanks.  I haven't tried that yet and it may just be the solution I'm searching for.

For those who asked for details, I'm trying to create a "light through venetian blinds" effect using one or two speedlights. The striped light was to appear on the models body as well as anywhere else the light would fall.

So far, I've tried using a broad light (35mm zoom setting) and a more concentrated setting (85 mm zoom).  I've had a little better luck with the 85 mm setting but none of the shadows I've created so far are very dark or very focused.

The distance just may be the ticket.

If and when I'm successful, I'll post the solution.

Sep 28 09 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Art Schotz

Lima, Ohio, US

Paul Brecht wrote:
Barebulb from a distance...

https://pbprophoto.net/rena300.jpg

On this one, I hung a blind from a background stand. I placed the light about 10ft up & off to the left (about 20 ft away). I used a 22" beautydish for fill on the right...

Paul

That's cool and just the look I was searching for.

Sep 28 09 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyStavros

Bainbridge Island, Washington, US

Would it be too much trouble to post what a series of images in this setting SHOULD look like?

And then a series of images that show what can go horribly wrong if you're not careful..

Please consider incuding all the details of the settings used etc.

Sep 28 09 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell Tearsheets

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

Size of light source and distance from blinds effect the edge sharpness of projection of the blinds.  The smaller the light source (like bare bulb or blackened reflector) and the greater distance will have a sharper projection.

Sep 28 09 05:45 pm Link