Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > So, wheres your..

Photographer

Plain_Jane

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Skin tutorials!! I cant find any that dont use blur, but i learnt that like.. 4 years ago, I want to be a good retoucher.. do you have any that will help me?

Oct 19 09 04:58 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

From the Photography Forum FAQ

How do I get great-looking skin on a model?

Start with a model with great skin, use a great makeup artist, and you’ll cut down your retouching tremendously while getting better results. smile

Once that's done...

Many retouching novices blur skin to achieve “clean” results. Unfortunately, to an educated eye, this is extremely obvious and unrealistic; blurring skin is virtually never a good idea for commercial or high-level work where realistic results are required.

In some portrait or glamour situations where the clients are less demanding and the time/cost tradeoffs are different, however, judicious blurring may be acceptable. In those cases use of the healing brush, clone tool, followed by a light application of a blur (Gaussian/median/anisotropic/etc) to the skin may be acceptable. Tools like the Skin Smoothing Plug-ins listed in lll’s lll's Photo Software List may save a little time over doing the blurring manually.

Angelo Lorenzo Photo’s thread Basic Pore Smoothing Technique gives a step-by-step description of an effective blur-based approach.

A more time-consuming approach, but one which gives far more realistic looking results is described in Ronald Tan's Basic Pixel Level Dodging and Burning Tutorial MM thread. Another thread describing this technique is Christos’ Understanding Skin Retouching Regarding LIGHT thread.

An offsite) guide from Glitterguru (Suzette Troche-Stapp) goes through this and more.

Also check out older threads on this topic. (Most of those discuss the less desirable blur-based techniques, however.)

Oct 19 09 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

v photo

Montpelier, Ohio, US

Plain_Jane wrote:
Skin tutorials!! I cant find any that dont use blur, but i learnt that like.. 4 years ago, I want to be a good retoucher.. do you have any that will help me?

deviantart.com
theres better "wizards" on there that any other site ive found

Oct 23 09 11:01 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Plain_Jane wrote:

Many people confuse using blur with blurring the skin. They aren't the same thing. You can use blur in skin work without blurring the skin. For an example, see this tutorial.

Oct 24 09 05:41 am Link