Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Stoners BEWARE!!!!

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Drivers take hit over pot smoking

Mich. Supreme Court rules blood test showing marijuana smoked weeks ago can be used in court.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl … 30342/1003

Pot smokers beware! That joint you smoked four weeks ago could come back to haunt you under a ruling by the Michigan Supreme Court.

In a 4-3 vote, the court ruled that motorists can be prosecuted for driving under the influence of drugs if they test positive for any trace of marijuana, including a metabolized remnant that experts say can stay in a person's system for weeks after the smoke.

"They are automatically guilty even though they are no longer impaired by it," said Tim Beck, executive director of the Michigan chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, which wants the drug legalized, taxed and regulated for adult use as alcohol is. "It's not based on common sense or justice." ...

Jun 23 06 12:11 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Since I don't smoke and will admit to being totally biased.

Right On!

They should do it with idiot cellphone users without headphones next. tongue

OK. Maybe I've had too much caffiene this morning.

Jun 23 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

Now they can charge people with DUI who have cirrhosis of the liver due to alcohol consumption.  Same concept.  Good job, state legislature.  I feel safer already.

Jun 23 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Crazy-Evil Angelus wrote:

Right On!

They should do it with idiot cellphone users without headphones next. tongue

OK. Maybe I've had too much caffiene this morning.

Careful caffiene is a drug and you are under the influance... better not drive..

Jun 23 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

HuH!....hack....cough, cough, hack, cough.....

Jun 23 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

thats how they pisstest employees as well. has nothing to do with impairment at the time of the pisstest, more like to see if you are a rebel or something.

Jun 23 06 01:49 pm Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

as always, i'm so glad i don;t live in the states.

i'm sorry, whether you smoke it or not, being charged for being intoxicated when you're NOT AT ALL intoxicated is ridiculous.

Jun 23 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

N8R Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Pretty soon we'll all be locked up... And forced to have sex with florida prison guards...
LOL, and this country still claims to be free and holds the morality of the rest of the world in question...oh the hipocrasy....
::stepping down of the soapbox::

Jun 23 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Year of the Dragon

This is all about moral posturing and not a fair assessment of data.

Jun 23 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Crazy-Evil Angelus wrote:

Best stay clear of large indoor events like rock shows,
I've received more than one contact buzz at a show.

Jun 23 06 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Why is it not illegal to drive when it can be proven that you were completely unconscious for 6-10 hours straight the previous night?  Isn't driving high still safer than driving asleep?

Jun 23 06 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

N8R Photography

-I wrote a pro pot article once, and now it's syndicated on like every pro-legalization site out there...  When you google me, more references to my pot smoking come up than do my photography...I hope to god I never get pulled over again...
-Nathan Holdaway

Jun 23 06 04:14 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do just as well ... you just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference."

"Why is pot against the law? It wouldn't be because anyone can grow it, and therefore you can't make a profit off it, would it?"

- Bill Hicks

Jun 23 06 04:22 pm Link

Model

Oriental Silk

London, England, United Kingdom

When someone becomes angry, doesn't that cause changes to brain chemistry that impair judgement. If that is the case, wouldn't it be sensible to prevent people who have recently been very angry from getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle or using machine tools.

If someone has just fallen in love, that also plays with his/her mind and causes distraction. It might be sensible to prevent those people from driving, too.

Jun 23 06 04:43 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

akemi wrote:
When someone becomes angry, doesn't that cause changes to brain chemistry that impair judgement. If that is the case, wouldn't it be sensible to prevent people who have recently been very angry from getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle or using machine tools.

If someone has just fallen in love, that also plays with his/her mind and causes distraction. It might be sensible to prevent those people from driving, too.

Your intelligence is spicy. Gotta luv it.

Jun 23 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lexi Evans

Levittown, New York, US

hmm, this seems like an odd contradiction of laws

It is illegal to punish someone for being an alcoholic..its considered a disease, and punishing someone would there-in be illegal. If you are found drinking and driving, you can be prosecuted, but you cannot be prosecuted for the alcoholism.

Now, this seems to sway in the same direction. you can be prosecuted for driving under the influence, but not for the actual problem.

I am pretty sure once this is appealed by a smart lawyer the law will no longer hold.

but then again, our country is doing weird things, so who knows.

Jun 23 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I wonder how it will hold up under appeal???......seems to me if apply their logic....that drink you had two days ago.....can get you arrested for DUI...today....or how about that kid you knocked out in the eight grade.....look out.....felony assualt charges are coming at you.....next week.....

Wasn't there a movie about if you thought about committing a crime....the thought police arrested you???....Tom Cruise was in it.....

Jun 23 06 07:39 pm Link