Forums > General Industry > Did you know Model Mayhem was a scam?

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

Greg Kolack wrote:
Angela gone poof...

Perhaps she has taken the place of the miners in Chile to stay hidden from sight for awhile...

Probably a wise move.

Perhaps she is too busy clicking "delete" in her inbox.  I would expect an inflammatory  and factually challenged article like hers to generate a lot more direct commentary besides the content of this thread.

Oct 13 10 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Luccia wrote:

I agree with both of those. 

but hey! I use MM for a lot of freelance work.  Just depends on how smart you are about using it.

I like you lol

I hope you liked what came before the quotes, because the rest is what I found funny. And after looking at your port, if a photographer does not at least politely try to hit on you, then they have no blood in their veins, or are gay. And not sure gay would stop them.

Oct 13 10 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

I get the idea her "article" and involvement in this thread has done exactly what she planned it to do - an enormous amount of traffic to her site that she would not have gotten otherwise. 9 pages worth here and probably hundreds, if not thousands of visits.

So while everyone is bashing her and making comments on her site that she simply is deleting, everyone is falling neatly into her ploy and giving her the attention she was looking for - so who is the idiot? Her for writing this, or us for being tricked into giving her the attention she wanted?

I actually don't think this is the work of a clueless moron everyone is claiming - I think it's the work of a savvy PR ploy.

Oct 13 10 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Wow, what an entertaining topic....
I went to read the tread on her website and OMG!!! up until all you great MMers went on and bombarded the site it was a "cult" like atmosphere with the Bella-whatevertheirnameis members. The delusions and closed mindedness of their views of what MM is about was, well lets just say I felt like slapping their faces to wake them up.

Just my observations... Go MMers!!! woohoo

p.s. Good point Greg, hmmm bad publicity is always good!  haha

Oct 13 10 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Shot By Adam wrote:

GCobb Photography wrote:
She is selectively approving comments as well.

Yep. I made a comment regarding her damage control and it is still awaiting moderation.

But a model going ANYWHERE and expecting to be a supermodel overnight is watching too much television and has the IQ of a termite. ModelMayhem has nothing to do with that.

Stop insulting termites!
Unwarranted and deserves brigging.

Oct 13 10 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Greg Kolack wrote:
I get the idea her "article" and involvement in this thread has done exactly what she planned it to do - an enormous amount of traffic to her site that she would not have gotten otherwise. 9 pages worth here and probably hundreds, if not thousands of visits.

So while everyone is bashing her and making comments on her site that she simply is deleting, everyone is falling neatly into her ploy and giving her the attention she was looking for - so who is the idiot? Her for writing this, or us for being tricked into giving her the attention she wanted?

I actually don't think this is the work of a clueless moron everyone is claiming - I think it's the work of a savvy PR ploy.

Glad you agree with what I said much earlier.
And even before me, somebody suggested not going to her site, so as to not give her any traffic..like that suggestion was going to work once things got rolling. However even a clueless moron can stumble onto a gold mine. Just look at the people who get elected.

Worst part is this killed their credibility, when something good could have been done. Same as some clothing manufactures will now only hire normal sized models. And a ban of the anorexic look it proposed. Somebody help with sources as they escape me. They could have (not likely) gotten some movement towards more petite models being used. The anorexic movement and enforcement can be justified on health issues. Petite is another issue.

And the reason the fashion industry gets so hot and bothered is because IT IS A SCAM, in the act of convincing people to follow a useless, artificial trend. See several earlier posts.

And this despite that I will agree that beautiful people in beautiful clothes, look, well...beautiful.
And for the nude models, it is far, far harder to look beautiful with no clothes. So for those who do it, my humble admiration.

Oct 13 10 11:40 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Doomworks

Islip, New York, US

Wait a minute! I can get women to take their clothes off and then photograph them?
People want to see that? NO WAY!......LMAO!

Oct 13 10 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Greg Kolack wrote:

The OP is on her friends list!   big_smile
She is on his friends list!
It looks like a conspiracy!

Oct 13 10 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Oh yeah,
I know its a scam, I read the high regarded publication.
Picked up at the news stand, right next to Vogue magazine.
The Pulitzer Prize writer is highly acclaimed..

SARCASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 13 10 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

g r e g g o r i o

Los Angeles, California, US

Bella Petite is the "go to " for  FASHION!

all the 4' 9" models already know this!

PS - the are  REALLY BIG IN JAPAN!

Oct 13 10 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

g r e g g o r i o  wrote:
Bella Petite is the "go to " for  FASHION!

all the 4' 9" llamas already know this!

PS - the are  REALLY BIG IN JAPAN!

big_smile 

... oh wait, you're serious aren't you

Oct 14 10 12:02 am Link

Photographer

H5D PHOTOGRAPHER

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Although I dont really take MM very seriously, I did the Bella article nothing more than hateful & inaccurate BS targeted towards their own fan base.

What I did find interesting is their broad strokes view that all photographers on MM are predators (so obviously only guys are photographers... hahahahaha), creepy & only interested in taking advantage of poor innocent models...

I guess that means Photographers such as; Gavin Oneil, George Favios, Sylvie Blum, Stephen Eastwood, Benjamin Kanarek, Neil Snape, Jean Renard, Lucinda Wedge & Myself etc are obviously the type of unsavory Photographers all "Shawty" Models should avoid according to Bella Petite.... RFLMAO

I guess Bella Petite are the final authority on all things related to the "real modeling world".... mwhahahahahahahahahahaahaha...... EPIC FAIL!!! big_smile

Oct 14 10 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Jay Pegg

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I was at a fashion magazine head office a while back. I was wearing my MM t-shirt. When they saw it the editor went to the website of one of the photographers listed by H3D whereupon they all started laughing at that photographer's work which says something about how MM, and the people on it, is perceived by the UK fashion media.

Oct 14 10 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

I read the article.    I can't say that I saw anything there that hasn't been said by "professional photographers" giving advice in the forums here on MM.

Particularly the part about product sales being the sole point of modeling.

And, like those people, apparently the author of the article has an MM profile.  So there are many sources of irony in the article.

Oct 14 10 05:53 am Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

Jay Pegg wrote:
I was at a fashion magazine head office a while back. I was wearing my MM t-shirt. When they saw it the editor went to the website of one of the photographers listed by H3D whereupon they all started laughing at that photographer's work which says something about how MM, and the people on it, is perceived by the UK fashion media.

Why in god's name would you wear an MM t-shirt to a fashion mag office?

Why in god's name would you wear a t-shirt to a fashion mag office?

Oct 14 10 05:54 am Link

Model

StarDoll

Pulaski, Virginia, US

Luminos wrote:

lol  Yes, WHY?

Oct 14 10 08:28 am Link

Photographer

ABCXYZ

Fort Walton Beach, Florida, US

As a photographer, I don't worry about being asked to pose nude. And I have no intentions of asking a model to pose nude. I'm an amateur and I think this site is great for meeting models who are willing to work with me. I'm not going to walk down the street, asking random girls to pose for me.. I'm trying to build a portfolio through TFP with other TFPs and this site has put me in contact with such models. When I'm a professional, then I may look elsewhere, but for now.. Scam or no scam, it gets the job done for me.

Oct 14 10 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Jay Pegg

Luminos wrote:

Actually, I forgot I had it on, I was just dropping in to deliver some photos from LFW to the ed who's a friend of mine. He also offered me an 8 page spread which, very annoyingly, I had to turn down.

Oct 14 10 01:52 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Victoria HSE

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Although fairly new to MM, I find that is has allowed me to learn what I need to learn to eventually pursue what I do in a more professional manner. ( I am a hairstylist and wanting to eventually get into session styling as a main career ) I do not have the extra income to spend on photographers to photograph my work so I come here and collaborate with some awesome ( and some not as awesome ) people where I can practice my styling skills. I have also been able to create a network of people who I can work with when I have a shoot idea or want to shoot some specific work.

MM has been good to me so far, scam or not.

Oct 14 10 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Jay Pegg wrote:

Ouch.

Oct 14 10 02:22 pm Link

Model

Angela G Phillips

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Renard Photography wrote:
I was sent this article
There is Irony in the air I think,.

just passing it along don't shoot the messenger.  If someone else posted this already you have my apologies.

http://bellapetite.com/model-mayhem-for … l-ego.html

PLEASE CHECK THE CORRECTIONS TO SEE WHAT I ACTUALLY WROTE AND DIDN'T WRITE BEFORE PERSONALLY BASHING ME. (its in a blue box) The article was a collab piece and the correct writer has been listed. Thanks to the few people who didn't personally bash me.
   I WAS ASKED TO HELP COLLAB ON A PIECE ABOUT WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A WORKING MODEL AND THE DANGERS OF SOME SITES SUCH AS MODEL MAYHEM TO HELP ASPIRING MODELS.
   NOW THE ARTICLE IS CORRECTED AND I HOPE YOU ALL CAN SEE THAT I WAS NOT TRYING BE BASH ANYONE JUST HELP!   

God Bless you all!
Angela Phillips

Oct 14 10 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Angela G Phillips wrote:
PLEASE CHECK THE CORRECTIONS TO SEE WHAT I ACTUALLY WROTE AND DIDN'T WRITE BEFORE PERSONALLY BASHING ME. (its in a blue box) The article was a collab piece and the correct writer has been listed. Thanks to the few people who didn't personally bash me.
   I WAS ASKED TO HELP COLLAB ON A PIECE ABOUT WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A WORKING MODEL AND THE DANGERS OF SOME SITES SUCH AS MODEL MAYHEM TO HELP ASPIRING MODELS.
   NOW THE ARTICLE IS CORRECTED AND I HOPE YOU ALL CAN SEE THAT I WAS NOT TRYING BE BASH ANYONE JUST HELP!   

God Bless you all!
Angela Phillips

I might suggest you actually read what WE wrote here. You obviously started this to https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iw5TaUpM1OI/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAABg/oWjr6XtVW8o/s120-c/photo.jpg people to a site which makes lame and innacurate promises to young girls about the fashion industry. Talk about a scam. Maybe you could advise them CORRECTLY rather than push your BS argument that you think you're going to change a whole worldwide industry because you weren't born with attributes to fit into it.
I also wish you'd spend time on your own site moderating messages rather than trying to justify unjustifiable behavior.

What I wrote on your site:
I find it completely ironic that a website which caters to “models” under 5’5″ tall who aspire to be fashion models would try to bash one of the most successful modeling sites on the Internet today. Your lack of understanding about the site borders on retardation.

I might suggest you create a website next to cater to all the 48 year old white guys under 5’7″ tall who aspire to be NBA centers.

Oct 14 10 04:16 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

From your comments on your page...
"I am so glad you ladies read the article! The only way we can stop scam sites is by getting the truth out about them!"

Since you have stated that Model Mayhem is a scam site, and you tell the ladies that you want to stop scam sites...does that mean you wish to stop Model Mayhem?

The Article wrote:
One of the most misleading model-oriented websites on the internet is called Model Mayhem.

How is Model Mayhem misleading people?

The Article wrote:
This is simply a website that takes advantage of those hoping to break into the fashion and entertainment industry through enticing subscribers with paid memberships to view your photos.

With FREE portfolios? How is offering free membership taking advantage of people?

The Article wrote:
A fashion photographer familiar with the site says, “Model Mayhem has destroyed the meaning of what a real model is and it has made every girl feel like she can be a model because her pictures are posted.”  This photographer goes on to say, “Model Mayhem is a known dating website and is a sexual predators dream to entice women to take their clothes off, all in the pursuit of becoming a model.”

Care to name this un-named source so you can have some credibility? Is it your friend who posted the link to your article in the first place?

I'm VERY glad to see you took out some of the more nasty references you made to the talent here on Model Mayhem, but you are still very much wrong with your assertions and accusations.

Oct 14 10 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jean Renard Photography

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
The OP is on her friends list!   big_smile
She is on his friends list!
It looks like a conspiracy!

Totally!

Actually she was very nice about it and tried to explain her side of the story.  I was pretty amazed that she even has a site on this god forsaken evil depraved site.  But she friended me even though I may have brought down lightning and actually like this site.

I have been active in trying to shut scams down in this business for a long time, I've been around for a while and done a few things to do right by our business, this was just too much Irony and the sad fact is that scams will always be around as long as there are people who are gullible, stupid, too lazy to check up on things or so egotistic that they will believe the flattery poured into them even as they are emptied of their money.

This site and the internet in general is like the real world, there are some nice parts and some parts where caution is advised, but it is the only world we have (for now) and we should embrace it.

Oct 14 10 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Hi, Chili,

I would disagree.  MM is a great place to be seen here's why.
A stand alone site very often has little to no traffic.  Why would
anyone go there but a site like this one or omp or MI.  Offers models
and photographers a way to be seen cheap or free.  No, Ford or DNA
or Click isn't looking here for talent but....

I know for a fact several models have booked decent non nude work
here;  fashion and commercial.  I know some shooters who have
had Art directors see their work here and contacted them.  One of our
alumni was in Zoom magazine a few months back several have been
featured in American Photo, Photo (The French version) as well as
PDN.

A Black nude art model was featured on the cover of NUDE magazine.
I recall a NY model being found here and then signed to a agency.
Her profile is gone now.  This isn't to say that its common for models
here to do much beyond working with goofs like me but being seen
is the key and can lead to good things.

tony, im sorry but i do not "recall" any of those events taking place, im not saying they didnt, but they werent big enough 'news' to be seen by me at least, i would really be interested in seeing a thread of tear sheets from people who were "found" on MM

that being said, i have "found" and used only 2 models in the 5-6 years ive been here to appear in a magazine, now i have used "many" other models from MM for magazine work, or MBFW work, etc but i did not "find" them here on MM first, is the point im making, they gave me their MM#'s after the fact, to turn around and say put a portfolio on MM and you will be discovered/seen by Elite, Ford, IMG, Ed Hardy, True Religion, Vogue, Editors, casting agents, etc etc is more of a scam/ploy

what MM should concentrate on billing themselves as more truthfully, is that MM is the premiere place to for the serious hobbyist and enthusiasts to meet, and learn, and network with some professionals who have accounts here

imagine me trying to recruit HS athletes to play on my football team in the Bayside Queens flag/touch league and promising them that NFL pro scouts and college scouts will see them...now there are some former NFL players and college players in the league i play in, but they werent discovered in the league is the point

Oct 14 10 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Pegg

There's a few examples out there.

Oct 14 10 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Donald P Sloan

Hapeville, Georgia, US

Angela G Phillips wrote:

God Bless you all!
Angela Phillips

On October 5th, 2010 BellaPetite.com published an article which you wrote.  The public at large knows that you wrote the article because your name appeared as the byline:

https://www.terezakis.net/images/writtenby.jpg

I am now confused.

Are you saying that you did NOT write the article and only claimed that you were responsible by signing your name as the author? 

As of this evening it appears that, Ann Lauren, Editor-in-CHIEF (sic) wrote the article, not you.  If Ms. Lauren felt that you were a co-author, it is customary to provide that credit.  Given her position with BellaPetite.com, it can only be assumed that she wrote the article alone.

https://www.terezakis.net/images/ann.jpg

I am going to leave the question of the article's authorship and your motivation for claiming authorship alone for the moment. Given the poor grammar consistent within the article(s) and bellapetite.com, I will also forgo the larger discussions of intellectual integrity, plagiarism, and the patent disingenuous attack on ModelMayhem members and management.

What I find truly objectionable is the consistent invocation of the Lord and/or God on in your written communication.   

Having been raised within Christian Orthodoxy, I'm pretty comfortable with interpreting the ideals espoused by Christianity as being extremely concerned with personal integrity and truth.
https://www.terezakis.net/images/lord.jpg
https://www.terezakis.net/images/gd-bless.jpg
https://www.terezakis.net/images/blessed.jpg
https://www.terezakis.net/images/yall.jpg

I am curious how you are able to rescind the apparent inconstancy of both deed and word with respect to your now disputed authorship and the banner of Light you choose to wave?

If you didn't write the article, why would you have allowed your name to be used as the author credit?

Last question if you really feel the way that you say that you do (which sounds to me like you wrote the article), why haven't you had the integrity to close your profile on Model Mayhem?

Oct 14 10 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Moore Photo Graphix

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Wow! This thread is still on. I can see whoever wrote that article never heard of the phrase "Those Who Live In Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Stone!" They're doing the what MM has been accused of: Giving aspiring llamas the wrong idea of the llamaing business. If they bother to do there research, the fashion industry won't take anyone under 5'8. The only areas those under the agency height are alternative, glamour and fine arts nudes. Unfortunately, I doubt the website will be shifting toward that direction.

We all know llama Mayhem is more of social networking site than a professional site. For all the pet peeves I have with it, I can say I've met some amazing people here. As for the article, I know some writing groups in my area that show them a thing or 2 about the written articles.

Oct 14 10 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

This is hilarious!  lol

Quoted from the home page of what seems to be a competitive website;

One of the most misleading model-oriented websites on the internet is called Model Mayhem.  Please beware they are a great example of the worst kind of  site, where model hopefuls create a “portfolio” to be seen by other members of the site ranging from photographers to photoshop wizards. Though this may sound like a reasonable way to make your mark in the modeling industry, it’s not.  This is simply a website that takes advantage of those hoping to break into the fashion and entertainment industry through enticing subscribers with paid memberships to view your photos.

-bellapetite

The irony is thick enough to cut with a knife!

Oct 14 10 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Squirrels On Film

I wish it was like they said in the magazine. That would be cool.

Oct 14 10 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

shadowscaught wrote:
... why haven't you had the integrity to close your profile on Model Mayhem?

It is ironic that anyone with such complaints about Modelmayhem would stick around, huh?

In addition to being a photographer, I am also a writer and so I have something to say about this.  Words and images are magnified by use of the Internet.  We can now spread information through out the World at lightening speed. Sensationalism has taken priority while accuracy, respect, and integrity were left behind long ago.  The price of speed and sensationalism has been a lack of sustainability. Truths, half truths and lies shall be replaced by new information while most words written have lost impact.  No one will remember much of any of this thread given enough time. 

Will Modelmayhem outlast Bellapetite?  Time will tell!

Oct 14 10 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Chili wrote:
i would really be interested in seeing a thread of tear sheets from people who were "found" on MM

take a look at my covers and editorial pieces, about 1/2 were people I had met on MM. Nickie was liked so much by the creative director he booked her for their food issue, using wardrobe made by another person found on MM.

My MUA contacts were all made through MM.

Kelly, who is coming out in November of Pasadena magazine was booked through her agency, but I first worked with her through MM.

Oct 14 10 09:27 pm Link

Model

Alex Niccole

Riverton, New Jersey, US

For me, ModelMayhem is a place to collaborate with other people and to help create art- express something through a photograph. It's to have fun, it's a hobby.

If I ever wanted to go into professional, agency modeling- it wouldn't be through ModelMayhem, but it is a good start for a portfolio.

ModelMayhem alone won't make you a professional model, but it can be a very good start for those who can.

Oct 14 10 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The Article wrote:
A fashion photographer familiar with the site says, “Model Mayhem has destroyed the meaning of what a real model is and it has made every girl feel like she can be a model because her pictures are posted.”  This photographer goes on to say, “Model Mayhem is a known dating website and is a sexual predators dream to entice women to take their clothes off, all in the pursuit of becoming a model.”

BodyPainter Rich wrote:
Care to name this un-named source so you can have some credibility? Is it your friend who posted the link to your article in the first place?

Photographer Peter Baratti was quoted extensively in that article, though I cannot say for certain that he said the above comments.  The authors of the article are so busy with censoring, soon there will be no article left.

BodyPainter Rich wrote:
I'm VERY glad to see you took out some of the more nasty references you made to the talent here on Model Mayhem, but you are still very much wrong with your assertions and accusations.

Oct 15 10 09:03 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Oct 15 10 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

The integrity and credibility of that site, and it's authors is ... petite!

Oct 15 10 06:59 pm Link

Model

Nikki Magnusson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

peter used to haf at least 2-3 profiles here on MM..

he constantly offered many services besides photography..

a sort of trade thingy..lol..

Oct 15 10 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Jackson Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

ha that whole site is a joke.  Talk about bias.  Then some of the commenters insult tall models.  Way to accept diversity!

Oct 15 10 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Jackson Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

Angela G Phillips wrote:
Hello All. It is me, the one responsible for the article on Bella Petite.

First, I want to apologize for any one that I offended as that was not my intentions!
  After a discussion with a few models who had been scammed on Model Mayhem and a few things that happened on set for an editorial for Dalia MacPhee, I was asked to write the article to try to bring clarity.

I will be the first to say that I use model mayhem but I now know what is legit, worth the time, etc.  I WAS NOT BASHING ANYBODY ON MODEL MAYHEM AS THEIR ARE TONS OF TALENTED MODELS, PHOTOGS, MUAS, HAIRSTYLISTS, ETC.
  BUT we all know there is tons of room for scams, work that is sketchy, and a great place for predators.
My hopes are the mm will start allowing agencies, publications, etc so we can make it more legit.
I can honestly say I am trying to help others as much as myself and would never try to hurt anyone. 
Anybody who knows me can say how helpful, kind, humble, and caring that I am.

I truly apologize to anyone I have offended and wish every single one of you the best.
  What we are trying to do with Bella Petite is get the industry to realize that 70% of women in the US are 5'7 and under, holding 10million in buying power...so we need to tap into this market to create more opportunity for everyone involved.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

Angela Phillips

suuuuure.

Oct 15 10 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Donald P Sloan

Hapeville, Georgia, US

Oct 15 10 09:16 pm Link