Forums > General Industry > Strippers who model

Photographer

rdallasPhotography

CHADDS FORD, Pennsylvania, US

This is directed mainly to the models.

I was attending a workshop and during a side conversation with the photographer running the workshop, when we talked about who make good models, he commented that “strippers” make terrible models. Now his term includes anyone who dances, including bikini dances.

What he said really surprised me…the reason they make terrible models is because that clearly do not like themselves because “any woman who would willing be in that business must have issues. No ‘normal’ woman would do anything like that.”

Obviously I don’t know how many part time models belong to this site but aside from being dead wrong, it was an incredibly narrow minded and insulting to people who for their own personal and financial reasons choose this perfectly legal line of work. He went further and said that it says a lot about the photographer in that the stripper doesn’t like herself and knows that ‘you’ the photographer is desperate enough to stuff money in her pants.”

This photographer is very popular and is good but his presumptions are, in my mind, nonsense and grossly judgmental. Using absolutes to describe a entire group of people without knowing their situation is overly simplistic. I won’t mention his name but he is located in Pennsylvania. Ironically he shoots nudes yet seems to have issues with someone who dances, whether it's stripping, topless or staying covered to a greater degree than many people on the beach.

I’d like to hear serious views to his opinions, particularly from models, regardless of what other work some part time models might do.

Nov 17 10 05:56 am Link

Body Painter

Extreme Body Art

South Jordan, Utah, US

I have worked with at least 2 strippers who model as well..

They did a GREAT job, just because they "strip" at clubs does not make them terrible models.

On the other hand, I have worked with not so great models that were not strippers... so.. it can go both ways.

Nov 17 10 06:00 am Link

Photographer

D T Masters

Austin, Texas, US

I was under the impression that dancers, such as ballet, make excellent models because they know how to pose their bodies.

I would also be interested in knowing what he considers a "stripper". I do take a lot of pictures of belly dancers, which some people might consider in the same light, and I do know that some of them are models as well.

So, essentially........I do not agree with his opinion.

Nov 17 10 06:01 am Link

Photographer

mark hollywood

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Strippers Rock make great Models.
Not only that most of the ones I know are the nicest kindest people in the whole world.
Some people will always live in the 19th Century.
Some people will always be narrow minded i choose to avoid such people.
How do I know Strippers you ask.
I own a Shop that sells nothing but Stripper Gear.
                                           Mark

Nov 17 10 06:04 am Link

Photographer

Troy Tribble Photo

Clemson, South Carolina, US

I have ran across some that did well, wasn't afraid to shoot nude. Some were fit and strong, and able to do some odd strainer poses with ease.

Nov 17 10 06:08 am Link

Photographer

C Mirene

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sounds to me that your photographer acquaintance has issues.

Photographer

JAY ANTHONY

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Sounds like he got dumped by a stripper.

Photographer

Classic_Reflections

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I've worked with many over the years and I have to agree with the poster above. They rock! They know how to move their body, what angles and poses are more flattering to them, and are not self conscience about it. Sounds like the guy has some issues.

Nov 17 10 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Eye of Sicari

Toledo, Ohio, US

Every rose has it's thorns

Nov 17 10 06:21 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I know folks who have cameras and are bad photographers.

Nov 17 10 06:23 am Link

Photographer

PashaPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

i love these threads...

i'm pretty sure there are only two guys in Pa that run workshops... one, i know, LOVES strippers... now i know how the other one feels smile

Photographer

C Mirene

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Side note to this, but may be related to his views:

How does he know which models strip?  That isn't something that I ask when I work with people.  Maybe that is just me though...

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I'm a stripper; I've been a (very good) model for five years. I also have good self-esteem, a four year degree, a good relationship, and a happy, healthy life overall. *shrug*

I started stripping so I could continue to model. When I started to get offers to do shoots in other parts of the country, around the beginning of 2008, I had a full-time conventional job that would not provide either flexible scheduling, or time off to travel.

Conventional jobs do not support the scheduling needed for working as a model; they will just fire you if you cannot work the schedule they dictate. Stripping allows me to work as much, or little, as I need to work and to take all the time off I need for modeling work.

I also make more money than I ever made in an office. As a result, my credit score has improved since I started stripping. My car is almost paid off, and I have a nice place to live. When I was working normal jobs, I was barely scraping by, and my general quality of life was much lower.

Nov 17 10 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Liteguy

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Even though you wanted responses from models, it seems only photographers have responded. So, I will add to the list.

Dancers ROCK! Dancers of any genre from erotic to ballet. They not only know where their bodies are, they, more often than not, have a confidence level not found in a lot of non dancers. That confidence comes through in the shot.

I can shoot a erotic dancer who is fully dressed and still get a great shot just because of she knows how to work the camera.

I have also found this to be true with models who have a dance background but haven't danced in some time.

Whoever told you otherwise might need to deal with his own issues and perceptions.

Nov 17 10 06:29 am Link

Photographer

Porcelain Perspective

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

ShivaKitty wrote:
I'm a stripper; I've been a (very good) model for five years. I also have good self-esteem, a four year degree, a good relationship, and a happy, healthy life overall. *shrug*

I started stripping so I could continue to model. When I started to get offers to do shoots in other parts of the country, around the beginning of 2008, I had a full-time conventional job that would not provide either flexible scheduling, or time off to travel.

Conventional jobs do not support the scheduling needed for working as a model; they will just fire you if you cannot work the schedule they dictate. Stripping allows me to work as much, or little, as I need to work and to take all the time off I need for modeling work.

I also make more money than I ever made in an office. As a result, my credit score has improved since I started stripping. My car is almost paid off, and I have a nice place to live. When I was working normal jobs, I was barely scraping by, and my general quality of life was much lower.

Hearing things like this makes me happy because I know several strippers with that exact mindset. Now, to be fair, there are some very trashy and self deprecating strippers out there. However, it's all yin and yang.

Nov 17 10 06:30 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

" I'm in love with a stripper, wanna leave the bar, with her. "

Nov 17 10 06:32 am Link

Photographer

David Paduch

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Porcelain Perspective wrote:
.....Now, to be fair, there are some very trashy and self deprecating strippers out there. However, it's all yin and yang.

But couldn't this be said about any demographic group? I've met waitresses and bartenders, students and moms who come off as a complete waste of time. Likewise from the same groups I've mentioned I've met some of the most amazing women ever.

*shrug*

The dude the OP is talking about needs to worry more about his own attitude and not so much about the women around him.

Dave

Nov 17 10 06:42 am Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Here's my personal take on shooting with strippers...

...most of the ones I've shot with have done a great job.  Some I discovered AFTER we'd shot that she was a stripper.   And I've had a couple of strippers who were terrible models.  I don't think it's about the job, more about the motivation for modeling that drives the performance.

....I think it's very difficult and often a losing proposition to ask strippers at the club to model for you.  As I posted in another thread, strippers have told me that about 1 out of every 4 guys at a strip club claims they shoot for Playboy (or some other magazine).

Bottomline:  for artistic nudes I love working with models who have ballet or figure skating or yoga backgrounds b/c they're usually graceful, know about extending toes and fingers, create lovely lines and angles with their poses, have a good sense of balance.  And some strippers qualify as being good at those things too.

--Ed

Nov 17 10 06:43 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

My most commented on MM image was a woman who did some stripping.  Small, soft spoken, quiet, vegan.  Not what one envisions with strippers.  Although quiet, she was confident, comfortable being nude and wonderful to work with.

18+

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/15257016

Nov 17 10 06:43 am Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Here's my personal take on shooting with strippers...

...most of the ones I've shot with have done a great job.  Some I discovered AFTER we'd shot that she was a stripper.   And I've had a couple of strippers who were terrible models.  I don't think it's about the job, more about the motivation for modeling that drives the performance.

....I think it's very difficult and often a losing proposition to ask strippers at the club to model for you.  As I posted in another thread, strippers have told me that about 1 out of every 4 guys at a strip club claims they shoot for Playboy (or some other magazine).

Bottomline:  for artistic nudes I love working with models who have ballet or figure skating or yoga backgrounds b/c they're usually graceful, know about extending toes and fingers, create lovely lines and angles with their poses, have a good sense of balance.  And some strippers qualify as being good at those things too.

--Ed

Nov 17 10 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Your workshop guy has his head up his arse. I've no doubt some strippers are as he described, but I've known and photographed a good number of nude dancers and (Shock!), even a few hookers.  NO, I don't hang out at the clubs, I once rented a small apartment in my house to a lady who was a stripper and wanted to do modeling. That worked out quite well and I met a number of other strippers through her.

The results were good each time and each time I found the strippers to know their body, know how to move gracefully and know how to make eye contact with the camera. After all, moving well and making eye contact makes their tips.  The only problem I found shooting strippers is that they have a tendency to not show up.

Nov 17 10 07:04 am Link

Photographer

paul hart

Murwillumbah, New South Wales, Australia

Eight out of the 16 models in my folio have stripped or are currently strippers.
However not all strippers will model, as some want the anonymity of stripping and do not want their nude image to appear where a significant other might come across it.
   I found that some strippers were actually nervous about posing nude. They were comfortable being nude on stage before a crowd of men (and sometimes women) yet posing before a single photographer it came down to their actual person posing nude rather than their stage alias.
Another thing that may have made that other photographer put down strippers is that strippers have a knowlege that being nude is a valuable commodity that other people pay for and they would likewise be unlikey to pose nude for a photographer for TFP.

Likewise here in Australia in the strip clubs I have visited, security is strict and phone cameras are frowned  upon and the transgressor is likely to be removed quickly.  Also any "patron" that attempts to accost a stripper is out on his ear. It is safer for the strippers in the strip club than going to a crowded nightclub where they may be groped, have their drink spiked and otherwise be accosted by drunken patrons without the insignificant security being aware.

One of the models in my folio has done ballet and I must agree that those that have had some form of dance instruction , ballet, modern dance , jazz are much more aware of what looks best for their body style and shape. They know what poses to take to make them look good and have no problems in placing their hands in suitable and elegant positions.

Nov 17 10 07:12 am Link

Photographer

7imaging

Tampa, Florida, US

Generally,I wont work with them. In my experiences, they are the most likely type of model to 'flake'.  Very unreliable. Im sure there are some out there that are on top of their game, and come to a shoot to work - maybe even on time. But I haven't met any...

Nov 17 10 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

As a generality, I feel that any model or aspiring model will have an advantage, if the are accomplished at some form of coordinated movement activity, such as sports, gymnastics, any form of dance, martial arts, Tai chi, etc. As a performer of whatever type, it often helps them put embarassment aside, also. I have advised newbies to include such talents, as well as artistic interests (drama, art) in their About Me, as it may give them an advantage over someone else.

Nov 17 10 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Blake Adams

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I have worked w people w all types of day (or night) jobs, and just like anything, some are great some not so great. What they do for a living, to take care of their familes is not for me to judge. My Dad always said never look down on anyone who pays their own bills.

Nov 17 10 07:36 am Link

Photographer

J Jeffreys

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have worked with several people who have been strippers and they have been some of the best models that I have photographed.

Nov 17 10 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Extreme Body Art wrote:
I have worked with at least 2 strippers who model as well..

They did a GREAT job, just because they "strip" at clubs does not make them terrible models.

On the other hand, I have worked with not so great models that were not strippers... so.. it can go both ways.

+ several hundred.

I haven't observed any generic difference between models who also strip and other nude models.  I have observed that models who are comfortable posing nude, even if they don't do so as a matter of course, seem to be more comfortable posing clothed, by and large, than models who never pose nude or who have strong personal feelings against nudity.  It may be that they simply have a more objective view of their bodies as artistic instruments.

When I was younger (in the 1950s) from time to time I would work in burlesque as a straight man or stage manager, so I got to know a lot of strippers and dated one for a while.  My observation was that, like today's nude models, they were not significantly different from their counterparts in ballet or theatre in any way other than the fact that were comfortable working nude and were generally more comfortable working before an audience.  Perhaps they just better at keeping the fourth wall down.

Nov 17 10 09:03 am Link

Photographer

RacerXPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have worked with a few they were all great. I wish I could show one their ports because her fantastic work would debunk this ridiculous theory instantly.

Nov 17 10 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

The only observation that I can add here - (other than a massive faceplam for the attitude of that guy)

Is that strippers/dancers are unlikely to be shy and difficult, if you are intending on doing nudes.  They usually have some decent people skills and are easy to communicate with.

Other than that, I've found dancers to be much like any other models - with their own quirks - likes and dislikes.

Nov 17 10 09:12 am Link

Model

Rogue Jass

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Eeek imagine what he thinks of Cam girls who dance, strip, model and masturbate most days n front of a camera ? .. Well I guess I have no qualifications whatsoever to have my picture taken.. but then again.. fuck it, I am Rogue tongue

Nov 17 10 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Joe Wow Photos

Dayton, Ohio, US

I generally do not actively seek them out, but I've worked with a few strippers that made Good models...   

BUT you might also find that there are a LOT of strippers that will stand you up/no call no show, or just have too much going on to be reliable. It can depend on schedules though...  Kind of like a person working a third shift job..
Their long late hours can make you a LOW priority, Plus a LOT of them drink and party a lot (HEY I'm not judging, just an educated observation!). So hangovers can be a very real problem that can affect your shoot or them making it at all.

Nov 17 10 09:26 am Link

Photographer

976 Photography

Shreveport, Louisiana, US

Strippers that model?
Nice, nothing wrong with it. That guy has issues. (of course many people in mainstream America have similar issues whenever the word "stripper" is brought up)

I have a friend that use to be a stripper for a while, it certainly paid her bills and took care of her family while her husband was recovering from a major sugery. And I met several strippers during that time, almost all were very nice girls.

But what about Models that strip... big_smile
(oh wow, lot's of ways to take that one...)

Nov 17 10 09:35 am Link

Model

Jennifer R K

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Modeling and stripping are two different jobs. I don't see why anyone should think that one influences the other. I actually know a photographer who also works as an exotic dancer -- does that mean that her photographs are going to be negatively impacted in some way by her night job, which she actually enjoys doing? And is there any difference in his mind between a stripper who also models or a model who also strips? Chances are good that he's had a great model work for him who may not have disclosed that at some point she worked as a stripper. Who can know these things?

This guy needs to get real and stop making assumptions about people.

Nov 17 10 09:38 am Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

The strippers I worked with have been like all other models, about half were great with their poses and half were really stiff and awkward.

Nov 17 10 09:42 am Link

Model

Jennifer R K

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

paul hart wrote:
I found that some strippers were actually nervous about posing nude. They were comfortable being nude on stage before a crowd of men (and sometimes women) yet posing before a single photographer it came down to their actual person posing nude rather than their stage alias.

I think this is really understandable. I saw a stripper stomp on a guy's camera phone for taking a picture of her without permission, and I don't blame her. I do know quite a few people from University who strip or have done so in the past, and those I know well tend to be quite private and introverted outside of the club. Some people here are saying they don't work with strippers, but they really don't know that. Most dancers don't go around advertising it.

Nov 17 10 09:47 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

I shot 2 dancers last week.  Both were excellent nude models.

Nov 17 10 09:54 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

The world is full of narrow-minded people.

Anyone can make a terrible model.  He probably was rejected or turned down by some entertainers.

Nov 17 10 10:02 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I think ALL models should become strippers  .  .  .  and vica versa  .  .  .  wink  Of course all photographers should become cowboys  .  .  .  or brain surgeons  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 17 10 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Jedediah Speer

Chicago, Illinois, US

Eye of Sicari wrote:
Every rose has it's thorns

HAHAHAHAHA!!
I am SURE that Brett Michales would disagree...

Nov 17 10 10:15 am Link

Photographer

rdallasPhotography

CHADDS FORD, Pennsylvania, US

C Mirene wrote:
Sounds to me that your photographer acquaintance has issues.

I agree. And I called him out on it and now I'm not welcome to attend any of his workshops. (not that I would.) He claims that he can see someone and in 5 minutes know everything about them.

Like someone mentioned, there can be good models and not so good models but the fact that one who dances either topless or not has issues with their self esteem is an absurd idea.

Nov 17 10 10:15 am Link