Forums > General Industry > Do you pay Models/Photographers?

Model

B R E N N A N

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Daniela Victoria wrote:

I wasn't told that. He's a jackass that's a little too high on himself...and maybe on something else too.

Facts are facts. I said it for you smile

I stand corrected big_smile

Nov 29 10 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

C L A V I C wrote:

I think it's fair to say that it takes more skill to be a great photographer than it does to be a great model.

I'm not saying there that it takes a small amount of skill to be a great model, I'm just saying it takes more skill to be a great photographer.

I think it is fair to say that you need to get out more.  hmm

Nov 29 10 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

C L A V I C wrote:

Explain how I'm ' high on myself ' for not paying models when I can just as easily shoot with models who are looking to update their portfolios and are just as good as the ones that want pay.

see my previous post.

Nov 29 10 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

C L A V I C wrote:

So basically you're saying that no model willing to work for prints or the images on a disk will ever be as good as a model that takes money instead?
Pretty much all models that arn't looking for pay to you are all less experienced than models looking for pay.

I TF* with models to build our portfolios up and experiment with new styles and ideas, I'm getting from what you're saying that there's absolutely no way that anyone can achieve a great image this way?

Not the case at all. When you meet certain criteria you will find models that normally charge that will shoot TF with you.  It is two professionals that respect each others work and want to create something together.

Nov 29 10 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

aaaaaaaaaac

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

Christie Gabriel wrote:

Arrgggh!
I'm just going to say it guys:

You are coming off as arrogant because almost any model willing to do TF with you is far more lacking in industry knowledge than most full time pro models who would request pay from you for their time.

So basically it seems you are saying, "it doesn't matter what kind of talent I get in front of the lens because I'm soo awesome that I can make her look like a top-dollar super model."

There I said it.

I'm glad you just gave it to me straight.
There's truth to this,  I am confident that I have some kind of talent but I'm nowhere near the ' make anybody look like a top-dollar supermodel ' level yet.

I take every shoot as a learning experience and I think the reason that I'm unwilling to pay a model is down to the fact that I don't like having a time limit on a shoot. I don't want to know that it'll be over in 2 hours just because that's when the money stops for the model if that happens then I won't be able to relax completely and just experiment with photography, lighting, angles and other components.
I enjoy knowing that the model is getting just as much out of the shoot as I am and if I end up with amazing images when the shoot is finished then I can give them to the model to add to their portfolio. If the only reason a model is there is because she's getting paid then to me I may as well be shooting a mannequin.

Probably doesn't make sense to you and all my haters in this thread but it does to me and when it comes down to it I don't really give a shit that all these people are getting butthurt over the fact that I dislike paying models.

Nov 29 10 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

This User Is Not Here

Durango, Colorado, US

"Photographers - How often do you pay models? What's the most you've ever paid a model per hour? Was it worth it?"
I've yet to ever pay a model. Not because I don't agree with it, but just because I'm broke and can't afford it. I have models in mind I will GLADLY pay when I can.

How much do you charge if a model is paying you?
Typically $220 for a 3 look, 2-3 hour, shoot. MU, HS, and some wardrobe styling is provided. The model gets 9 final images, and one print for her book.
Every now and then if I like the model's look or travel somewhere such as LA, I discount these rates and charge $160 instead.
...I really should be charging more, I know. hmm

Models - Have you ever paid a photographer? What's the most you've paid and was it worth it?
I double as a model as well, and yes, I have. The most I've paid was $60, and it was for some of the best beauty and fashion I've got in my book on that side of the lens.
(And I got lucky. He has fairly high rates, which are ver reasonable for the quality of his work, but because we'd talked about shooting a while earlier when they were cheaper once upon a time, he was willing to keep them the same for me as we'd once discussed. I'm actually definitely planning on saving up and paying him again, his full rates of course. His work is just amazing.)

How much do you charge per hour?
Depends on the concept, photographer's work quality, and a bunch of other factors.
Normally it's always been around $65-$120 per hour, and I'm most booked for fashion nudes. (Making my shortie height, 5'6", work for me while still sticking to the genre I enjoy most. big_smile)

Nov 29 10 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

C L A V I C wrote:
There's truth to this,  I am confident that I have some kind of talent but I'm nowhere near the ' make anybody look like a top-dollar supermodel ' level yet.

I take every shoot as a learning experience and I think the reason that I'm unwilling to pay a model is down to the fact that I don't like having a time limit on a shoot. I don't want to know that it'll be over in 2 hours just because that's when the money stops for the model if that happens then I won't be able to relax completely and just experiment with photography, lighting, angles and other components.
I enjoy knowing that the model is getting just as much out of the shoot as I am and if I end up with amazing images when the shoot is finished then I can give them to the model to add to their portfolio. If the only reason a model is there is because she's getting paid then to me I may as well be shooting a mannequin.

Probably doesn't make sense to you and all my haters in this thread but it does to me and when it comes down to it I don't really give a shit that all these people are getting butthurt over the fact that I dislike paying models.

I think if you changed your first post to this it would have come across as a lot more honest and sincere.  I agree with everything you just said except for what is in bold.

Nov 29 10 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

BodyartBabes

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Alicia Hansen Photo wrote:
"Photographers - How often do you pay models? What's the most you've ever paid a model per hour? Was it worth it?"
I've yet to ever pay a model. Not because I don't agree with it, but just because I'm broke and can't afford it. I have models in mind I will GLADLY pay when I can.

How much do you charge if a model is paying you?
Typically $220 for a 3 look, 2-3 hour, shoot. MU, HS, and some wardrobe styling is provided. The model gets 9 final images, and one print for her book.
Every now and then if I like the model's look or travel somewhere such as LA, I discount these rates and charge $160 instead.
...I really should be charging more, I know. hmm

Models - Have you ever paid a photographer? What's the most you've paid and was it worth it?
I double as a model as well, and yes, I have. The most I've paid was $60, and it was for some of the best beauty and fashion I've got in my book on that side of the lens.
(And I got lucky. He has fairly high rates, which are ver reasonable for the quality of his work, but because we'd talked about shooting a while earlier when they were cheaper once upon a time, he was willing to keep them the same for me as we'd once discussed. I'm actually definitely planning on saving up and paying him again, his full rates of course. His work is just amazing.)

How much do you charge per hour?
Depends on the concept, photographer's work quality, and a bunch of other factors.
Normally it's always been around $65-$120 per hour, and I'm most booked for fashion nudes. (Making my shortie height, 5'6", work for me while still sticking to the genre I enjoy most. big_smile)

Interesting.... you charge more than you were willing to pay "for some of the best beauty and fashion I've got in my book"  ....

I love it. 

This thread is a keeper wink

Scott

Nov 29 10 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

C L A V I C wrote:

Obviously you do give a shit otherwise you wouldn't have posted this thread.

You just have to ask yourself what it will take for you to become the best as you state as your goals in your pf.
Are you going to achieve that shooting TFs all your life?
Are you going to turn down amazing opportunities to learn from top talented models just because you are too cheep to pay?
Are you okay building a bad rep and low respect for refusing to pay models? Because models can see right through this!
And will that mannequin land you a cover shot on Vogue?

TFs are great practice but this is a business. Good models do this for a living, to feed themselves and pay bills and all the ones I know are extremely passionate about their work, they just deserve to be compensated for that talent!

Nov 29 10 05:44 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

C L A V I C wrote:

You'll get way more out of that 2 hours with an experienced model (who will more than likely expect monetary compensation) then you would out of a model willing to trade with you.

I enjoy knowing that the model is getting just as much out of the shoot as I am and if I end up with amazing images when the shoot is finished then I can give them to the model to add to their portfolio.

I've been paid for almost 90% of the images in this portfolio. Funny that, huh?

If the only reason a model is there is because she's getting paid then to me I may as well be shooting a mannequin.

I have a background in IT, and worked in software development before taking this on full time. Trust me, I could be making WAY more money doing something other than modeling. Myself, and all the other pro models I know, do this because we're passionate about it, and absolutely love what we do. It's not about the money.

Nov 29 10 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

This User Is Not Here

Durango, Colorado, US

BodyartBabes wrote:
Interesting.... you charge more than you were willing to pay "for some of the best beauty and fashion I've got in my book"  ....

I love it. 

This thread is a keeper wink

Scott

Where ever did you get that silly assumption that that's all I was willing to pay? hmm
In fact, I said the opposite; Again, I plan to pay that particular photographer again, in full price. That full price is about $450-600, and damn well worth it.

edit:
And just who are you to criticize what I charge anyway?
If I'm able to consistently book work at the rates I've set having spent only $60, aside from the other modeling expenses such as a portfolio book, prints, travel, etc., what does it matter? If anything, it's good that thus far I've made more money than I've invested into it. It's called profit, it's part of business, and it's part of how I work. If you don't like it, too bad. The end.

Nov 29 10 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Christie Gabriel wrote:
Arrgggh!
I'm just going to say it guys:

You are coming off as arrogant because almost any model willing to do TF with you is far more lacking in industry knowledge than most full time pro models who would request pay from you for their time.

So basically it seems you are saying, "it doesn't matter what kind of talent I get in front of the lens because I'm soo awesome that I can make her look like a top-dollar super model."

There I said it.

I don't think it's arrogance.  Most photographers on this site are not full time professional professionals who will benefit from paying for "industry knowledge".  Most of us are amateurs/semi-pros or pros shooting personal projects on the side.  The benefits of hiring a super model or "industry knowledgeable" model as you put it simply don't justify the costs.  The reality is that I can produce an image of almost as good a quality for my needs for a much cheaper price by working with a trade model. For me, the significant cost of hiring a pro model just doesn't justify the marginal return I'll see.  For many seasoned professional photographers who will make good money from a model shoot, it's a different story, but that's not most of us.

The other thing to consider, is that I and many other photographers are not just considering the costs of experienced vs. non experienced models.  We balance the cost of models vs. even more abundant subject matter we can shoot, subject matter that does not charge or require a model release.  While I really love shooting models, for me it's the least lucrative subject to shoot. If I can't shoot models for trade or a reasonably low fee, I'll shoot something else for free and probably make more profit doing so or even shoot shoot non models for a guaranteed pay. 

As I stated before, I'd love to make the money shooting models to regularly pay top dollar for experienced pros, but the reality is the supply and demand for the subject matter of what I can shoot does not support that.

Maybe shooting trade is sometimes about arrogance, but often it's simply the reality of supply and demand.

Nov 29 10 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Shirley Yu

New York, New York, US

I test for agencies in nyc so I've never paid a model.

MM models pay me to shoot them though. Usually around 150-175 a shoot for an afternoon

Nov 30 10 01:25 pm Link

Model

Laurel Rae

Tucson, Arizona, US

Never Paid a photographer, ever.

smile

I shoot both tfp and paid depending on skill level, and other details...

Most I've been paid was $240 for a 4 hour shoot, I usually let the photographers choose my rate.

When I charge for my shoots, I don't choose the idea/concepts, I let the photographer choose, and never ask for images!! (I figure if I get paid, and it is not discussed that I give up my rights to the photos but it is usually common courtesy to email me the best one!)

Edit: I also request to go by a 'day rate' instead of hourly so we don't have to keep track of time, we shoot till we get the images we want. It's more easygoing smile

Nov 30 10 01:41 pm Link

Model

The Original Sin

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I get paid, I pay, I will even pay models if they can deliver what I need/want for what I'm doing.

It's a matter of who wants what more.

The nice thing about cutting back to part-time instead of full-time modeling means that A) I can tell everyone "These are my rates, no negotiations, not discounts, unless you're willing to provide X" and turn down work I don't want and B) My time is more in demand, and if someone WANTS to work with me- they will have to work it out so we can shoot.  I can't/won't accomodate someone just because anymore.

Nov 30 10 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

ShotsByMateo

East Orange, New Jersey, US

I'm not opposed to paying a model a few dollars but I usually only offer money when one of my clients has a budget.

I mainly come on here for fun so my rates are very recession friendly smile

Nov 30 10 01:58 pm Link

Model

Josie Lee

San Diego, California, US

Stephen Markman wrote:
Not everyone can get the quality of models that they would like, to shoot on a Trade basis.

Not every model can get the photographers with whom they'd like to shoot, to shoot on a Trade basis. 

When exchange of comparable services FAILS, money prevails.

Well said......

When I am approached by a photographer who wants something specific that he/she needs but something I do not need at all, then there is no business benefit for me to TF. And that also works in reverse. But, many photographers who do approach me already have a client and wants to know if I'm interested.

Nov 30 10 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Primordial Creative

Los Angeles, California, US

I just paid my first model ever, Kymberly Jane, and it was worth it.  Not to mention extremely affordable in comparison to most models of that level (or lower level).  I have so much material from just a 2 hr shoot... and then there's the back end of publishers who would buy my photos because it was someone famous.  Then she bought an upscaled apron designed by my wife, and just asked how to credit her, so I had to make a designer page for the wife.

I am actually actively looking for some of the "paid assignment only" people I previously would have overlooked, just because I think it's good to work with that talent level... Alexandra Matthews in LA for example.  Not so much around Phoenix unfortunately.

I did pay gas and gave some guitar pedals to someone who drove 2 hrs to shoot with me.  Otherwise, generally no $ unless we are all getting paid by a company.

Dec 01 10 12:18 am Link

Photographer

DreamgirlsofCalifornia

Peoria, Arizona, US

Stephen Markman wrote:
Not everyone can get the quality of models that they would like, to shoot on a Trade basis.

Not every model can get the photographers with whom they'd like to shoot, to shoot on a Trade basis. 

When exchange of comparable services FAILS, money prevails.

DITTO!

Dec 01 10 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I don't pay models directly, except for some image bank stuff I did 10 years ago.

The clients pay the models.

The most ever paid to a model by the client was 250000$ for a YSL cosmetic ad. Funny it was a simple picture I did in the afternoon with daylight and flash, but the rights took it way up there.
On average for all the other crap I've done it was about 10-15K per day plus some rights.

Magazines pay models around 150$ per day.

When I was testing for agencies, it was 150-250 Euro per series.

Dec 01 10 12:25 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Alison

Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom

C L A V I C wrote:
...I've never paid a model and never will. I just don't see the point when you can get a model that's equal or greater in attractiveness to shoot simply for the images
but that's just me....

From your profile:
"I'll always want to be better and won't even think about stopping untill I'm one of the best

And even then I probably won't stop untill I'm better than the other best Photographers out there."

US rates are fairly irrelevant to the UK.

If you're serious about getting better, you're mad not to pay models when you can work with someone like Rebecca Tun for £30 per hour (rates quoted on her profile, so I'm not revealing any secrets)

MM URL: https://www.modelmayhem.com/beckytun

From your profile:
"It's going to be a f...ing long road but I'm ready for it."

It's going to be a lot longer road if you don't start paying models.
Always try to shoot with people better than you are.

Dec 01 10 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

B R U N O wrote:

There is?

Yes...there is.

Dec 01 10 01:09 am Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Paid a model once....not much, but still paid her.  Was one of the biggest wastes of money ever.  Will I ever do it again?  Doubtful....but you never know.  I'm a lot less likely to do it now after that experience.

Dec 01 10 01:18 am Link

Photographer

Craig Allen Studio

Tacoma, Washington, US

I've never paid a model directly.

Dec 01 10 01:22 am Link

Model

O P H E L I A

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I've never paid a photographer, but I'm a student and illustrator and this isn't my primary vocation. School and art supplies drain the free money I have and I make a better return on investments in paints and supplies than I would do in paying for a headshot.

Generally, I base the rates by the quality of the photographer (if I want to negotiate for prints/CDs etc). And if I want to work with someone, and they are offering me money anyways I always offer a lower rate. If they are working with a clothing designer or MUA I like, I'll even offer more discounts.

Seeing as I work a lot as a live model for artists, what I charge varies quite a bit. Holding a difficult pose for a long time takes much more effort for me than moving constantly for a photo-shoot.

It's different, but I base my rates off the time I have and the person I'm working with. It's not professional, but I'm not a good model if I'm not enjoying what I do. In the end, it's about making more art. :]

Dec 01 10 01:24 am Link

Model

Jessica Vaugn

T-D-L wrote:
Paid a model once....not much, but still paid her.  Was one of the biggest wastes of money ever.  Will I ever do it again?  Doubtful....but you never know.  I'm a lot less likely to do it now after that experience.

Maybe it was how you utilized the product.

Dec 01 10 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

This whole discussion has become a big slap in the face to a lot of talented and deserving models on MM... Happy now?

Dec 01 10 01:27 am Link

Model

Jessica Vaugn

Art Silva Photography wrote:
This whole discussion has become a big slap in the face to a lot of talented and deserving models on MM... Happy now?

Happens every time the topic is raised... but, business is still going... slap on folks smile

Dec 01 10 01:29 am Link

Photographer

Shirley Zhong

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

I've shot more faces than what was stated in my credit list, but I've only paid one traveling model. It wasn't really that much, I've actually spent more money on TF shoots before. I pay when I cannot get what I need for my project (eg. nude).

As a model, I get paid most of the time probably because I am an art model.

Dec 01 10 01:31 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

It's nothing other than a reality check. Clients pay photographers to make pictures they will use. The client pays the models or indirectly the photographer first, then the models. Models still get paid work, still can successfully use MM to find paid work. Who is paying doesn't matter.

Dec 01 10 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Jessica Vaugn  wrote:

Happens every time the topic is raised... but, business is still going... slap on folks smile

True hun but the OP needs to realize that you learn to grow by working with the best if he wants to BE the best.

I don't make a great income with my day job and I should be saving money for retirement or something but I am happy to pay for great talent that will help me grow as an artist. After 35 years behind the camera I still feel like I have a lot to learn.
There is two different schools of thought on this but mine is about the return of great images, not the return of invested money.

Dec 01 10 01:37 am Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Jessica Vaugn  wrote:

Maybe it was how you utilized the product.

Or maybe she just sucked ass as a model.....

hmm

Dec 01 10 01:38 am Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

JoshuaDavisPhotography wrote:
I've never paid a model out of my own money

There is evidence visible that indicates that statement might not be 100% accurate.

Dec 01 10 01:42 am Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

Jessica Vaugn  wrote:
business is still going... slap on folks smile

You're into that?  wink

Dec 01 10 01:45 am Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

B R U N O wrote:
Regardless of the fact that there are a lot of attractive people who can't and don't photograph well, there are just as many who are attractive and do photograph well.

Then by that statement you agree that simply being attractive is not sufficient for success in front of a camera.

Dec 01 10 01:49 am Link

Model

Jessica Vaugn

exartica wrote:
You're into that?  wink

Why no, I am a delicate flower

lol

Dec 01 10 02:22 am Link

Model

Jessica Vaugn

T-D-L wrote:

Or maybe she just sucked ass as a model.....

hmm

My thoughts lead me to asking how you were unable to detect this ahead of time... If I'm booking a model I'm booking a proven model.

Dec 01 10 02:23 am Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Jessica Vaugn  wrote:
My thoughts lead me to asking how you were unable to detect this ahead of time... If I'm booking a model I'm booking a proven model.

I was a noob; I'll admit that much.  Only asked one other photographer about her.....she got a glowing reference from them.  Then she turned out to be borderline psycho on top of just sucking as a model. 

Should've asked around more, I'll agree to that....but it doesn't change the fact that she still sucked, still gave me much trouble after the shoot, and still is the reason why if I ever needed to go back to MM for models I would seriously think twice about paying.

My advice to noobs is: If you can afford to pay a model, ask around and check references, then pay.  It'll probably jumpstart your book if you know what you're doing.  But if you can't afford to do so, don't sweat it.  Work your ass off trading with the bottom of the barrel and work your way up to where you want to be.  It'll take a hell of a lot longer but is rewarding nonetheless smile

Happy Birthday btw in case I forget to tag your page soon big_smile

Dec 01 10 02:29 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

I pay a model if I have a personal project I’m working on. The amount varies. Paying a good experienced model is well worth it.

Dec 01 10 02:33 am Link

Photographer

mark hollywood

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Yes I pay Models usually starting from $100.00hr more depending whats involved.
Minimum 5hrs per shoot

Dec 01 10 02:43 am Link