Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > ugh what do i do...

Photographer

Freeze Digital

Roanoke, Virginia, US

Well I'm thinking about joining special forces in the army... anyone got any oppinions?

Apr 26 05 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Hmmm my dad beat the shit outa me when i told him that

May 05 05 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

And I beat the shit outta my little brother when he told me that he'd joined... what a shitty idea.

May 05 05 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

19 1/2 years in now.... I wouldn't go SF though...Each service has media photographers in it, so you could stay with something you like at least.

May 05 05 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

If you're going in to possibly continue photography or come back with a usable skill then join the AF or Navy, if you must  join the Army stay away from SF. A good friend was in SF, when he got out he became a cop just like I was. He didn't learn many skills usable for a civilian career.

May 05 05 01:40 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Go for it Joe. I went in the Army when I was 17 (waiver signed--couldn't wait for 18), and I never regretted the experience. Try to ace your ASVAB test! Trust me...you'll be glad you scored high. I'm qualified, trained and experienced in more than one MOS. If you demonstrate that kind of aptitude and agility, the only trouble you'll have making it to Special Forces is if you have a bad attitude problem. Oh, and by the way, Law Enforcement isn't the only thing waiting for you when you transition back to the world as a civilian. And, another thing, you can sideline as a Freelance photographer while you're in. How successful you'll be at it all depends on your determination and ability to juggle and manage priorities. Keep in mind though, soldier first. Always. Regardless, it's all fun. Hard and challenging and sometimes miserable, but that kind of sh!t is fun to me. Good luck and keep in mind one word - initiative. That one word will take you far no matter where you are. Up to you to push it.  ...oh *grin* last thing...your brain has to be just as yoked as your body.

May 05 05 02:23 am Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Have you talked to a recruiter yet?  I assume you know that one doesn't just volunteer for Special Forces.  You need to:

Be a U.S. citizen

Be a high school diploma graduate

Achieve a General Technical score of 110 or higher and a combat operation score of 98 on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)

Qualify for a secret security clearance

Qualify and volunteer for Airborne training (Hooahhh!)

Take Defense Language Aptitude Battery or Defense Language Proficiency Test

Achieve a minimum of 60 points on each event and overall minimum score of 229 on the Army Physical Fitness Test

May 05 05 10:03 am Link

Model

Cherrie Nguyen

Oakland, California, US

I was dissapointed and angry when my little brother joined the marines. So sad... tsk tsk

May 05 05 10:06 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Remember the line in Starship Troopers when Rico asks Rasczak for advice on joining the military?

Rasczak says, "Figuring things out for yourself is the only freedom anyone really has. Use that freedom."

May 05 05 10:20 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

May 05 05 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Posted by EricMuss-Barnes: 
Remember the line in Starship Troopers when Rico asks Rasczak for advice on joining the military?

Rasczak says, "Figuring things out for yourself is the only freedom anyone really has. Use that freedom."

Uh, yeah, Veerhoven film, fun and campy, but I also remember, "What the matter, you apes?!? Do you wanna live forever?!?"

Would you like to know more? ...

May 06 05 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Brian Kim: 

Posted by EricMuss-Barnes: 

Uh, yeah, Veerhoven film, fun and campy, but I also remember, "What the matter, you apes?!? Do you wanna live forever?!?"

Would you like to know more? ...

Ah, but my favorite dialog of that flick is still:
"I only have one rule - Everyone fights. No one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"

"WE GET YOU, SIR!"

"Welcome to the Roughnecks."

May 07 05 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Freeze Digital

Roanoke, Virginia, US

Yeh I'm pretty sure I'll qualify, I was all american in hurdles in high school so I'm in pretty good shape. Thanks for all the response guys!

May 08 05 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jayson Harrington

Ormond Beach, Florida, US

Good luck if you go for it and make it...I tryed the USAF...ended up getting an Admin Discharge...I fully ecpected and was ready to be called lower then Sh!t 200 times a day...but my Psyche wasn't...turns out I had a nice case of Generalized Anxiety Disorder waiting to break out...and yes its real and can happen like that....and if people have an issue with that...well at least I tryed...

OH check this dude out http://www.rolandogomez.com/about.asp 

Jayson

May 08 05 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Maybe worried for his safety woudl be better....

I would never be be disapointed that anyone joins the military to protect our country...

Everyone of them is better than most of us...

Posted by Cherrie: 
I was dissapointed and angry when my little brother joined the marines. So sad... tsk tsk

May 09 05 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Duck Photography

San Diego, California, US

7 1/2 years in the army. And I have loved every minute of it. Just make sure to ask for a bonus when you sign up.

May 09 05 01:18 am Link

Photographer

Duck Photography

San Diego, California, US

Oh ya I almost forgot you can go straight into SF. get the ranger option in your contract. They aren't usaly the first people you think of when SF is mentioined, but they are the bottom rung of the SF Ladder.

May 09 05 01:20 am Link

Model

Maxtastic

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

Most of the bartenders I've worked with used to be Marines. I was a bartender for a bit, and I didn't have to go to boot camp for it.

Not sure about SF, though. I'm sure they'd make a *mean* long island ice tea.

May 09 05 04:37 pm Link