Forums > Model Colloquy > Petite models? Is there any hope?

Model

Rachel_Elizabeth_22

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Open topic people!! Im a small 5'3 lol. im not delusional, i know im never going to be a runway model (although i can dream :-) ). but whats everyones opinions about petite?

Aug 13 11 08:28 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Any other opinions would be ridiculous.

Aug 13 11 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Heels and Hemlines

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

Damianne wrote:
Any other opinions would be ridiculous.

How so?

There are plenty of 5' 3" and even shorter models on MM who are very successful. You just have to give up on the runway/fashion stuff, and focus on freelancing. Read newmodels.com for starters, then check out this thread:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=609835

Aug 13 11 08:35 am Link

Photographer

wolfdenlab

Norton, Massachusetts, US

I tend to prefer working with petite models.

Aug 13 11 08:39 am Link

Model

Tsalagi

Miami, Florida, US

petite chicks are just cooler and we cost less to feed!

Cat  smile

Aug 13 11 08:42 am Link

Model

E R I K A

Rusnė, Klaipėdos, Lithuania

Of course you can be successful! You are just more limited, you can't do runway/fashion, but everything else you can, don't quit! smile

Aug 13 11 08:45 am Link

Model

E R I K A

Lil Cat wrote:

Cat  smile

What do you mean, are cooler? Lol

Aug 13 11 08:46 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

a couple slices of swiss cheese will keep them going for hours :-; and i don't have to get on a ladder to shoot them. and full body shots are easier. not that there's anything wrong with having a 6 footer in heels mind you.

Lil Cat wrote:

Cat  smile

Aug 13 11 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Forget fashion and catwalk. Beauty and nude work would fit you well smile

Photographer

Roy Hobbs

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

I absolutely LOVE petite models! They're my favorite to work with!!

Photographer

AmGlamStudios

Weymouth, Massachusetts, US

I've worked with at least 3 models 5' 3" taller or under that make their living from modelling.

Aug 13 11 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

For art nudes, I would, any day, take 5'3" and 110 to 120 pounds over 5'8" and 120 to 130 pounds. Curves add sensuality.

Aug 13 11 08:56 am Link

Model

Chloe Selene

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I think it all depends on what your expectations and eventual goals are.  If you want to sign with a major agency, then height is a big factor.  If you want to freelance, it won't matter quite as much.  As someone mentioned, the styles you're interested in will make a difference, too.  Runway and editorial work might target taller models, but beauty models don't need to be especially tall, and a lot of nude models on MM are on the shorter side. Figure out where your interests and strengths are, and then find your niche. smile

Aug 13 11 08:57 am Link

Model

Rachel_Elizabeth_22

Unsure on how this is ridiculous? some people ive spoke to say petite models work far harder, because there not expected anything to be handed to them on a plate. Im looking on doing lingerie maybe glamour. I dont think i have a very commercial look, or so ive been told. so i think im very limited lol.

Im just having fun working with the photographers and like to learn new things that could help me in the future, being small is great! Boo to all your tall girls that dont think we deserve to share the spotlight lol

Aug 13 11 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Przemek Czaicki

London, England, United Kingdom

Check out Jaime Ibarra, Jessa, his favourite model, she's around 5ft tall. I do not see height as a restriction in photography.

Aug 13 11 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

OmnyRa

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Petite supporter here BIG TIME! Pardon the pun. :^)

Aug 13 11 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Petite models are great!  9-foot backdrops are wide enough, you can get eye-level shots without a ladder, for just two examples.

Also, cuteness increases as size decreases.

BTW, that's a 5' 0"/152cm model in my avatar.  My most recent model is 5'1"/155cm.

Aug 13 11 02:15 pm Link

Model

E R I K A

Top Level Studio wrote:

Even though I'm a HUGE supporter of petit models, and I feel in love with a 5'5 girl that is signed with ELITE, and that's huge ( here she is, by the way http://www.elitemodel.com/details.aspx? … 111&indx=1 , so that doesn't mean you can't work in fashion actually!!)  that was one of the most stupid things i have ever heard . size doesnt matter. LOL.

Aug 13 11 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

GNapp Studios

Somerville, New Jersey, US

This model is 5'2" she gets booked wherever she travels.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110812/14/4e459475e08cf.jpg

Aug 13 11 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

Erika, your girl is quite pretty.

However, I stand by my statement.  All sizes of women can be very attractive.  Tall girls can be pretty, beautiful, wonderful-looking and so on, but for cuteness, the petite ones have the advantage, in my opinion at least.

Perhaps your definition of cuteness is a bit different from mine.

From Wiki:  "Cuteness is the appeal commonly associated with neoteny."

Neotony doesn't usually go along with being 6'/184cm tall.

Aug 13 11 02:33 pm Link

Model

E R I K A

So, you name someone "cute" based on their face or body?

Aug 13 11 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

E  R I K A wrote:
So, you name someone "cute" based on their face or body?

It depends.  Someone can be said to have a cute face, or could be cute from head to toe.

Aug 13 11 02:41 pm Link

Model

E R I K A

Top Level Studio wrote:

It depends.  Someone can be said to have a cute face, or could be cute from head to toe.

Don't you think Abbey Lee Kershaw is cute?

Aug 13 11 02:45 pm Link

Model

Marissa N Martini

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Even if you are shorter than most models there are still photographers out there that will really like your look & must have that look for projects. Although it will be harder to get work just keep searching I just had a big break through for myself last week & I've been trying to put myself out there for a long time just don't quit but keep another passion close to fall back on to in case it doesn't work (all models should have a back-up plan short or tall)  but there is hope.

Aug 13 11 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

E  R I K A wrote:

Don't you think Abbey Lee Kershaw is cute?

I wasn't familiar with Ms Kershaw, so I had to look her up.  She's quite pretty and maybe a bit cute, but keep in mind, someone can be cute and not beautiful, or beautiful and not cute, or both at once.  Or neither.

Also, petite models cannot be statuesque.

It's all good.

Aug 13 11 07:14 pm Link

Model

Raquel Rayne

New York, New York, US

Top Level Studio wrote:

I've seen some pretty dead-sexy petite women, not your typical cookie-cutter cuteness.

I'm 5' 1 and 3/4" (at my height you take pride in every quarter of an inch). My height is my biggest (irony?) insecurity. But I've seen, just on this site alone, plenty of really successful freelance petite models. My friend Rebecca Lawrence, for one!

Aug 14 11 01:40 am Link

Photographer

G D Peters Photography

North Platte, Nebraska, US

Recently I had the privilege of working with one of the most naturally beautiful petite models I have ever worked with, and she was only 4' 10" tall.  So, do I have a problem working with petite models?  Not at all!

Aug 14 11 03:10 am Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

E  R I K A wrote:

Even though I'm a HUGE supporter of petit models, and I feel in love with a 5'5 girl that is signed with ELITE, and that's huge ( here she is, by the way http://www.elitemodel.com/details.aspx? … 111&indx=1 , so that doesn't mean you can't work in fashion actually!!)  that was one of the most stupid things i have ever heard . size doesnt matter. LOL.

That model is obviously very young(some quick googling makes the correct number around 15 years old), and has most likely been signed in the hopes that she will grow.

That does not mean that the 5'3 OP or any other shorter model has any huge chance in high fashion.

Aug 14 11 03:36 am Link

Photographer

PhotoPower

Elmsdale, Nova Scotia, Canada

The height debate ended in the 90s, when celebrities took over fashion mag covers. Young people can get work in front of the camera regardless of height, they just require some chutzpah!

Aug 14 11 03:37 am Link

Photographer

Carl Blum Photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Never gave it much thought, but my portfolio only has 3 girls over 5'6" and the tallest is laying down. The girl on my Avatar is only 5'4", 5'7" in heels.

Aug 14 11 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Troilus

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

E  R I K A wrote:
size doesnt matter. LOL.

That's what I keep saying - but the girls still laugh.

Aug 14 11 03:52 am Link

Photographer

Keys88 Photo

New York, New York, US

Rachelle Lawrence wrote:
Open topic people!! Im a small 5'3 lol. im not delusional, i know im never going to be a runway model (although i can dream :-) ). but whats everyones opinions about petite?

You're not "petite."  In the modeling industry, the word "petite" refers to models who can fit into designs made for a petite line, which you are still too short to do.

This concept gets complicated by the fact that department stores have "petites" departments, which cater to women your size. 

It is important to distinguish between modeling industry "petite" and department store "petite."

In the modeling world, you're not petite; you're SHORT.

That said, there are opportunities for short models in art-modeling, glamour, fetish, erotica, and a few other areas.   I've shot MANY short models and have always been pleased with the results.

Aug 14 11 04:01 am Link

Model

Rachel_Elizabeth_22

Carl Blum Photography wrote:
Never gave it much thought, but my portfolio only has 3 girls over 5'6" and the tallest is laying down. The girl on my Avatar is only 5'4", 5'7" in heels.

wow she looks really tall lol

Aug 14 11 05:04 am Link

Model

Rachel_Elizabeth_22

Stephen Markman wrote:

You're not "petite."  In the modeling industry, the word "petite" refers to  who can fit into designs made for a petite line, which you are still too short to do.

This concept gets complicated by the fact that department stores have "petites" departments, which cater to women your size. 

It is important to distinguish between modeling industry "petite" and department store "petite."

In the modeling world, you're not petite; you're SHORT.

That said, there are opportunities for short models in art-modeling, glamour, fetish, erotica, and a few other areas.   I've shot MANY short models and have always been pleased with the results.

Google says otherwise :-)

Definition for petite model:
A model who is under 5'6″ and who wears sizes under a 6..

Aug 14 11 05:07 am Link

Model

Rachel_Elizabeth_22

i have never seen myself as short lol, im small. but i do understand your point, different peoples definitions.

Aug 14 11 05:10 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Small is beautiful...end of...

Aug 14 11 05:24 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

There's always hope - it's just that at 5'3" you have to hope for different things wink

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Aug 14 11 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Rachelle Lawrence wrote:

In my studio,  it is not how big you are,  or  how tall you are,  or who your grandmother is..      It is just how well you fit the project  of the day,   If I am going to do a catalog of  Kitchen Ranges..   I do not want a  5"10'  model,,  I want some one that makes the stove  larger.    If I am doing the interion of a luxury boat,  I want the model to be small,  so the interior  will seem larger..

The better the model fits the atmosphere the  more successful..  Petite,  and Plus size models  ?????    Just fit the job.

Aug 14 11 05:37 am Link

Photographer

TRPn Pics

Silver Springs Shores, Florida, US

Rachelle Lawrence wrote:

Google says otherwise :-)

Definition for petite model:
A model who is under 5'6″ and who wears sizes under a 6..

Google is not a fashion or commercial agency. 5'6" is considered petite as far as it goes, it's possible to get signed to a commercial agency at 5'3" just not likely.

Aug 14 11 05:38 am Link

Photographer

BrandonMattNg

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Never know what the fashion industry wants in 5 years or even 10 years.

Aug 14 11 05:50 am Link