Forums > Photography Talk > I really want to shoot with her

Photographer

RNokes collection

Denver, Colorado, US

I have traveled across the US all the way to Maine from Denver..but the one that I really had to work with is Carlotta from Flordia.. I got lucky and she traveled through Denver a couple months later..just Stunning pro model

18+
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24646730

Oct 15 11 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Rodney Almore Photos

Altadena, California, US

YanS Photography wrote:
there a lot of model I would like to shoot but they are just way to far for me.
I really envy you guys who life in the state

I wish some of those model would go to vacation to Bali or Phuket so I can fly them my way easier.
Or maybe I can trade model with plane ticket and vacation in Bali https://mms.ibsrv.net/images/smilies/tongue.png

Someone said that the "grass looks greener on the other side."  I guess that goes for models, too.  Oh well.....:-(

Oct 15 11 12:43 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Los Angeles, California, US

RINALDI wrote:
So, how many of you noticed a model on MM that blew your mind away, and that you traveled a fairly big distance (out of state, internationally) because you really wanted to shoot with her?

big_smile

(a thread I started out of boredom, but I am interested in your experiences as I currently have one woman that I can't get out of my mind loool)

I live stateside fortunately and haven't had to travel anywhere to shoot a model. Regardless, I subscribe to the "revolving door" philosophy; models come and models go... at least where I live there's always a steady supply wink

Oct 15 11 01:00 am Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Wow thanks for sharing all those cool stories smile

Nice to hear that folks are taking their hobbies/jobs/photography so serious and passionate, that you are spending cash and time to travel long distances to shoot with that model you really want to shoot with.

Oct 15 11 03:31 am Link

Photographer

H5D PHOTOGRAPHER

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

I've flown all over the world several times to work with particular models that had a face I wanted in my book.... Shot Julia Evgenova in Cape Town... Vladimira Borgulova in Venice... Adrienne Ferreira in Miami... Etc. Some of the best images I've shot with very positive reactions from my clients. I don't do this for fun, it's about having the right face for the project... Sometimes that model just isn't in your local market wink

Oct 15 11 03:53 am Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

hartcons wrote:
there was one in ireland i would have visited if i were a rich man. but around here lots of models travel through so they come to us for the most part.

ding ding ding

Oct 15 11 03:56 am Link

Photographer

PTPhotoUT

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I fly in Models all the time to get a particular look or to add diversity to a project. I also have a local modeling crew that I shoot with every week to help me work out details and logistics for certain projects.

Often times I fly them into Las Vegas instead of Salt Lake City. It is an 800 mile round trip to Vegas for me, but I save on their airfare and accomodations. Also, many models prefer the glitz of Vegas over Utah on their down time.

In general, I have one or two fly in from distant locations, and one or two drive in from neighboring states per month. Next week I have one driving down from Montana to shoot with me for a whole week. She is an incredible model and an even better person.

Next month i will fly into Vegas one from LA and two from Florida.

Oct 15 11 03:57 am Link

Photographer

Atelier H

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Jessica Vaugn  wrote:
I am thankful people often fall in [photo] love with a model. Otherwise, I can't bridge the distance gap if they are financially not going to help accommodate the shoot.

If I had the money there are many models, photographers, sushi chefs, hair colorists, etc... I would bring to me from all around the world if I had the money. We all have soft spots for something/someone. DOING it is merely a reflection of financial ability and prioritizing it.

Very well said.  I completely agree with you.

Oct 15 11 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

BodyartBabes wrote:
Can I ask why?

In light of the other thread that was started -- is it the subject or model -- I'm curious why you would do that?  Isn't that akin to stalking?   

What about a specific model would make you want to travel/obsess to shoot with her?  What features or body mods?

Is it the _MODEL_ you are shooting, or the IMAGE you have in your head or mind's eye.  Why can't you use a local model? 

These are all related to the core issues of what goes on here on MM.

Scott

I doubt that any model I approach with an offer to shoot, whether local or long distance, thinks I am stalking them. They are on MM looking for shoots, and I am looking for models.

I choose a model for her looks and her talent, local or long distance doesn't really figure into the negotiation. I have a concept, and wardrobe I want to shoot. I look for the best model to complete that equation.

It helps greatly if she is good with MU and hair, and if she has ideas that will enhance my concept.

Much of this depends on what you are shooting. This is what works best for me.

Oct 15 11 07:10 am Link

Photographer

G D Peters Photography

North Platte, Nebraska, US

I have had the opportunity to work with this model on many occasions even though she is 300 miles away.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/2405213  18+

This one I happened to run across at a motorcycle rally:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/13804315  18+

This is a local model:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20940962

And this model came to me:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24302621  18+

Oct 15 11 08:10 am Link

Photographer

smoothgroove

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

RINALDI wrote:
So, how many of you noticed a model on MM that blew your mind away, and that you traveled a fairly big distance (out of state, internationally) because you really wanted to shoot with her?

big_smile

(a thread I started out of boredom, but I am interested in your experiences as I currently have one woman that I can't get out of my mind loool)

Nope, never have, never will. It's not about the model, it's what you as an artist will make out of the model.

RINALDI wrote:

Not a good idea to get enamored about a model, it will cloud your objectivity.

Oct 15 11 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

smoothgroove wrote:

RINALDI wrote:

big_smile

Nope, never have, never will. It's not about the model, it's what you as an artist will make out of the model.

Not a good idea to get enamored about a model, it will cloud your objectivity.

I have seen some models who are so beautiful that it's hard not to get enamored.   smile

Oct 15 11 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

J Henry

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Glad to see all these happy stories.  My own is not so fortunate. 

700 miles one way, 5 vacation days spent round trip.  When I finally get there she decided she didn't want to shoot. 

Never again.

Oct 15 11 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

If the time and money weren't an option I'd pay their travel here.  And there are a few on here who I'd love to be able to work with.  There are many local people, but a few I want to shoot aren't.

Oct 15 11 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

I'm lucky, a lot of the models in my portfolio live within 15 miles of me and at least three live within walking distance... but if I had the time and money I would love to rent a studio in Prague for a month and shoot Czech models non stop.

Oct 15 11 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

RP Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Great thread. In the first week of joining MM, I found a model that I just had to work with. Looked into flying her in on air miles, but the cost was double what I could get from other cities. Two months later, she announced a trip here and I booked her. Best experience shooting and incredible images.

Worked with another traveler and liked her so much, I brought her back on the miles two months later. Another top notch model and just plain cool chick.

I've pledged to spend less by working mostly with local talent, but there are plenty of MM all-stars that come here, especially this past summer. I check the travel notices frequently.

Oct 15 11 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jay DeFehr

Seattle, Washington, US

Fascinating! Viva la internet! I find it incredible that so many hobbyists are willing and able to come out of pocket to photograph an (most often) amateur model. It's not something I would ever consider doing, but I think it's great that those willing and able can get together for the mutual satisfaction of all parties. Traditionally/typically, models were/are paid, not by photographers (who were/are also paid) but by the client. In the hobbyist photographer/amateur model dynamic, I don't see why the photographer should automatically foot the bill. If both parties are rewarded by the shoot, in the form of the images produced, as is presumably the case in TF arrangement, why is it less common for models to fly photographers in to shoot them than the other way around? It must be that there is something else of value being exchanged that provides the model an advantage in the bargaining. Is it that photographers outnumber models by such a wide margin that models can afford to be more selective/demanding? I don't think so. I think it has something to do with the type of photos linked in this thread- nearly 100% of which feature nudity. This dynamic seems to have more in common with peep shows than with art or professional photography, and the camera, and the images, seem to be more incidental than central.

Oct 16 11 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Sir Montag

Dallas, Texas, US

Professor Woland wrote:
It must be that there is something else of value being exchanged that provides the model an advantage in the bargaining. Is it that photographers outnumber models by such a wide margin that models can afford to be more selective/demanding? I don't think so.

I think it has something to do with the type of photos linked in this thread- nearly 100% of which feature nudity. This dynamic seems to have more in common with peep shows than with art or professional photography, and the camera, and the images, seem to be more incidental than central.

Zing! Got it in one!

The concept makes me lol personally. If it's a celebrity or someone I'm required to shoot and if the client is paying for airfare, sure, I'll go to them. Otherwise, GTFO!

If I lived somewhere where there were few if any models, and I was just starting out, maybe I'd travel, but honestly, if you're not in an area that's conducive to your career, it's time to move somewhere that is.

For those who's primary source of income isn't photography - I don't want to imply that they're dilettantes or anything - but they tend to go about this the wrong way 'round if threads like these are any indication. That said, it's their money and they can spend how they see fit. If taking pictures of hot nekkid chicks is their thing, go for it. People might take them less seriously for it, but life is short, whatever makes you happy you know?

Oct 16 11 01:12 pm Link