This thread was locked on 2013-11-29 09:26:58
Forums > General Industry > she said your to old to shoot nudes

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

The few models that I have worked with who asked about my age actually preferred that I wasn't in their age bracket.

The last model that I shot nudes with was just 18 (her first time shooting nudes).  The most recent model that I shot with was 42.  Lots of things more important than age.

EDIT:  Hot Diggitty! Top of the page!

Feb 03 13 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Woodson Photography

Savannah, Georgia, US

All Yours Photography wrote:
The few models that I have worked with who asked about my age actually preferred that I wasn't in their age bracket.

The last model that I shot nudes with was just 18 (her first time shooting nudes).  The most recent model that I shot with was 42.  Lots of things more important than age.

EDIT:  Hot Diggitty! Top of the page!

That's interesting.  The last model I shot nudes with was 18 y/o and doing her first ever shoot of any kind.  About a month ago, I did a nude shoot with a model who is 45.

Feb 03 13 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I am about 40 years older than the average model I shoot en deshabille....

I've had no complaints, either with the experience, or the images.....

I'd count it more a prob of the particular "model" than your (or my) age....

Feb 03 13 08:52 pm Link

Model

Rachael Bueckert

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

I feel very very bad for her, that she had let her insecurity, prejudice and mental barriers prevent her from such an amazing opportunity such as that. Ive admired your work for a long time, and it saddens me to see people throw away chances like that on such superficial nonsense when here I am all the way up in Canada land and would murder a nun to shoot with you! Haha! Dont let the foolishness of the insecure young get you down... they dont know a damned thing.

Feb 04 13 12:24 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Phillip Ritchie  wrote:
your as old as my grandpa

Purely biologically you just need to be ~36 to be a grandpa...

Feb 04 13 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Phillip Ritchie  wrote:

TomFRohwer wrote:
Purely biologically you just need to be ~36 to be a grandpa...

Purely biologically, 23-25 or so.

Feb 04 13 03:42 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Art of the nude wrote:

Phillip Ritchie  wrote:

Agreed. ~36 is for the great grandfather... ;-)

Feb 04 13 04:09 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Pawlak

New York, New York, US

IrisSwope wrote:
Maybe it was the actual straddling the model in the shot on your front page that made her uncomfortable, not your actual age?

yeah, or both combined. It does look inappropriate, in a big way.
Not all of us have seen the Blow Up movie poster from 45+ years ago.

Feb 04 13 04:21 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Art of the nude wrote:

Phillip Ritchie  wrote:

Oh no. I'm old enough to be a gramma! x-P

Feb 04 13 04:26 am Link

Photographer

Faces2Die4 Photography

Houston, Texas, US

This one is tooooooooo young, said Goldilocks,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop … llery.html

And this one is tooooooooo old,

http://www.anseladams.com/ansel-adams-information/

But this one is just right!

http://www.kspr.com/videogallery/722382 … ping-Model

Feb 04 13 04:51 am Link

Model

Jonny Sax

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Model obviously posing for all the wrong reasons.  You rock!

Mar 03 13 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Atelier Hereau

Stoughton, Massachusetts, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
“If youth knew; if age could.”

I ain't as good as I once was, but, I'm as good once as I ever was. I'll be 74 in May. (the month)

Mar 03 13 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

I have never had that problem. My reputation has preceded me, but as well I am contacted to do nudes because the models tell me they feel uncomfortable with some younger photographers.

Obviously that is not the rule, but in truth anyone that worries about age when shooting this is looking at the wrong parameters.

You have great images, but I would rather shoot with someone with less decent images as long as they are younger?

And that make sense how?

Mar 03 13 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Poor OP is almost a year older than he was when this thread started sad

Mar 03 13 12:45 pm Link

Model

Rachel_Elizabeth_22

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Phillip Ritchie  wrote:
I just had a message from a MM model that had asked to do a nude erotic shoot with me,
I replied yes, this is her reply 

hey Phillip
OMG I have to cancel my shoot with you as I just read your front page thing wow your as old as my grandpa ,
so it's feels really weird to be naked , I think you do beautiful pics

sorry hope you understand xxxxxxxxxxxx

, I sort of do under stand but dam now I feel really old LOL

does any one else think that maybe you can be become to old to shoot nudes,
my work is more erotic than just nude maybe she thinks I should not still be thinking like that ,

thoughts any one  I have also told her I just put it on the forum maybe she will come in and reply , I am not upset just make s me think

OMG! Id shoot with you in a heartbeat, shes mad. Her loss though xx

Mar 03 13 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Attitude Photo

Rochester, New York, US

She probably also uses the word "creeper" for anyone 5 years or older than herself

Mar 03 13 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Mossack

Joplin, Missouri, US

John Allan wrote:
Sounds like she was harboring intentions/possibilities that went beyond modeling.

The way she said it would certainly give that impression.

Mar 03 13 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

I first thought "What an idiot."

Then I thought... how many photographers here seek out 60+ models to pose nude for them? And of the same gender?

Works both ways...

Mar 09 13 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

marce fay

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Just the way it is, accept the fact. I sure some the girls i photographed thought likewise of me, and i can understand that without going on a rant by name calling them, since i don't them.

Mar 10 13 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

marce fay wrote:
Just the way it is, accept the fact. I sure some the girls i photographed thought likewise of me, and i can understand that without going on a rant by name calling them, since i don't them.

We usually never know when people are judging us by our race, age, weight, height, sexual orientation and so on.  We usually either work together or we don't based on these biases.  It seems easier to say "Oh I'm sorry, but you're too old/young to be shooting nudes."  The fact is that some models and photographers might be thinking, but not saying "you're too ...  [black/white] [gay/straight] [fat/skinny] [tall/short] ... to shoot with me!"  just fill in the blank.   I'm surprised this thread is still going!

Mar 10 13 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Patrick Walberg wrote:

We usually never know when people are judging us by our race, age, weight, height, sexual orientation and so on.  We usually either work together or we don't based on these biases.  It seems easier to say "Oh I'm sorry, but you're too old/young to be shooting nudes."  The fact is that some models and photographers might be thinking, but not saying "you're too ...  [black/white] [gay/straight] [fat/skinny] [tall/short] ... to shoot with me!"  just fill in the blank.   I'm surprised this thread is still going!

+1
and this is still going on????

Mar 10 13 10:26 am Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

My best friend painted nudes into his 90s. Lucien Freud did too.

God willing I will too.

Mar 10 13 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Herman Surkis wrote:
+1
and this is still going on????

Unfortunately ... yes!

(based on conversations I've had with other photographers on here.)

Mar 10 13 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

robert b mitchell

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

I feel soooooo old now even when some beautiful model asks me to photograph them. I need a rocking chair!

Mar 10 13 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Moderator Note!

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
Poor OP is almost a year older than he was when this thread started sad

Yep.

Mar 10 13 02:48 pm Link

Model

Magdalena C

Bellingham, Washington, US

What does your age have to do with when it comes to shooting.  ?.. Clearly this girl had another agenda .  It doesn't matter how old or young or smart or pretty you might be.. Your images speak for themselves and if she were after something amazing to put in her port your age wouldn't be an issue.  She may have been looking for something else ...entirely ..and that's unfortunate for her and other models from this site.  I don't consider this a dating site and I don't think others do either.

Jun 18 13 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Backstreet Photography

Salem, Oregon, US

I have to laugh when i hear about people with this perspective.  Look @ the bright side: @ some point, this young lady will be waking up with some OLD guy everyday for the rest of her life, unless of course she is SO perfect that she can attract young guys regardless of her age and physical appearance ~ m'

Jun 18 13 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Varton

New York, New York, US

grandpas know the best big_smile

Jun 18 13 10:48 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

there's one model's profile i recall getting a real kick out of, where she described her requirements for a photographer's age and looks. immediate disqualification of myself. maybe more of them think along those lines, but don't say it. maybe they should.

Jun 18 13 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

zaxpix

New Brunswick, New Jersey, US

Phillip,

You've got game. You'll have game until your dying breath.

Kudos.

Z.

Jun 18 13 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Let's be honest here.  Everyone of us discriminates in some manner, be it spoken or kept only in thought.  As photographers, we may discriminate towards older models for example.   We pick whom we want to work with, often times without going into detail as to why.  If the model had kept her own feelings to herself, we'd never hear of this.  However sometimes with immaturity comes a lack of empathy.  Discrimination towards others can be painful when put into words. 

It wasn't that long ago that I used to stick my foot in my mouth saying some atrocious things that I wish I could take back!  An example of one time that comes to mind is when I asked an attractive woman when she was "due to have a baby?"   I saw what I thought appeared to be a baby bump.   She had already had her baby a year ago!  Opps!   With maturity, I've learned to think a little more carefully before I speak, and to take others words with a grain of salt. 

We were all young once, and we are all hopefully aging well.  Don't let the young and dumb bother you!   Laugh with them at their own naivety instead.   Their time will come soon enough ... if they are lucky.

Rock on, Phillip, rock on!!

Jun 18 13 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
An example of one time that comes to mind is when I asked an attractive woman when she was "due to have a baby?"

even i've never said anything that dumb. tongue

Jun 18 13 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Let's be honest here.  Everyone of us discriminates in some manner, be it spoken or kept only in thought.  As photographers, we may discriminate towards older models for example.   We pick whom we want to work with, often times without going into detail as to why.  If the model had kept her own feelings to herself, we'd never hear of this.  However sometimes with immaturity comes a lack of empathy.  Discrimination towards others can be painful when put into words. 

It wasn't that long ago that I used to stick my foot in my mouth saying some atrocious things that I wish I could take back!  An example of one time that comes to mind is when I asked an attractive woman when she was "due to have a baby?"   I saw what I thought appeared to be a baby bump.   She had already had her baby a year ago!  Opps!   With maturity, I've learned to think a little more carefully before I speak, and to take others words with a grain of salt. 

We were all young once, and we are all hopefully aging well.  Don't let the young and dumb bother you!   Laugh with them at their own naivety instead.   Their time will come soon enough ... if they are lucky.

Rock on, Phillip, rock on!!

I was at my favourite restaurant and one of the workers told me he just got married.   I asked the new girl if she was the wife.   Yes, she says and I could have sworn he said they were having a baby and she had a big tummy.   Yep you guessed it.   Open mouth a insert foot.   I said congratulations on the baby.   Oops!   No baby.   The OP is one of the best on MM but I get why a model might feel awkward around a older man.   A model I used to know told me why she avoided a shoot with me.   I've known her since she was ten and at 18 she wanted to model but she said she though feel strange trying to be sexy, etc. with me.

Jun 18 13 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

figurativearts

Cottonwood, Arizona, US

age doesn't bother some models

https://static4.businessinsider.com/image/50e6d7d3ecad04d71c000000-577-432/hugh-hefner-playboy.png

Jun 18 13 06:53 pm Link

Artist/Painter

aquarelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

I AM too old to be working with nude models.  My heart can't take it any more. smile

Jun 18 13 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

And just think our OP is nearly a year older thanks to this necro thread...

Jun 18 13 07:39 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Philip R wrote:

Truth is that her grandfather is probably younger than 50.

Ummmmm, if an 18+ year old model's gramps is 50, then her mom must have queefed her out during a spelling bee.

Jun 18 13 07:42 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

figurativearts wrote:
age doesn't bother some models

https://static4.businessinsider.com/image/50e6d7d3ecad04d71c000000-577-432/hugh-hefner-playboy.png

She's pretending she's kissing Ben Franklin with exponents...

Jun 18 13 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

figurativearts

Cottonwood, Arizona, US

Big A-Larger Than Life wrote:

Ummmmm, if an 18+ year old model's gramps is 50, then her mom must have queefed her out during a spelling bee.

I knew a guy who was a greatgrandpa at 54...
18x18x18x0

Jun 18 13 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

figurativearts

Cottonwood, Arizona, US

aquarelle wrote:
I AM too old to be working with nude models.  My heart can't take it any more. smile

actually a while back was chatting during a shoot with a model who said the last photog she had shot with had a stroke. during the shoot. gulp. I guess for work safety its best to keep the nitropills nearby.

Jun 18 13 11:45 pm Link