Jul 04 12 02:12 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Marilyn Yusuf wrote:
Me, please smile

Marilyn Yusuf wrote:
Me, please smile

Your expressions are great. You do the kind of nudes that often are just really good.

It was a pleasure looking at your work.

$60,00 per annum. You're-almost-a-monster-now-Award.  I wasn't sure if you could really make it in fashion but you could probably make more than that. The power went out when I tried to post this.

Jul 04 12 02:15 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Rik Image wrote:
Assess away my good man smile

$100,000 Shark alert! Oh my God, you could eat anyone alive it seems but still you're not elite. You're making the cash but for how long? You're not quite a flavour, but you're eating well for now.

You're amazing. Not every shot, but what a photographer!!!  I looked at everything and I wanted more.

Jul 04 12 02:18 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Samantha Scarlette wrote:
go!

$60,000 per annum: You're-almost-a-monster-now-Award.  I went to your facebook page and saw the shoot work for mainstream magazine. I like that you put in your profile that there are many more photos there. It really gave a better perspective of you.

On some shots that you put on MM I didn't think the super-tanned look really worked that well.

I don't how long it will last but it's clear that you do do some good work and you have a great attitude and a look that a lot of guys would pay to shoot.

Jul 04 12 02:26 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

QuietAsKept wrote:
For shits and giggles, critique me? smile

You have a great look and I think you'refearless except you have to get to shoots by public transport. A lot of photographers would prefer to pick you up to save time. I know you may be worried but if they don't have an assistant, ask for references, and maybe bring someone if possible.

You have six shots and while you don't have to have a lot, I think you could use a few more. It looks  like a headshot where you're smiling so beautifully is marred by highlights from a strobe straight on the lips.

I wish you had started when you were sixteen. I think you have a great look and possibly if you can put together a comp card, etc., you could really do well. It might end being modellling for photographers for their personal projects but my initial reaction was: "Yeeees, I would like to shoot you."

I don't know if you'll make a lot of money but I see promising things for you. And I want to encourage to really get this thing going:

$60,000 per annum. You're-almost-a-monster-now-Award.

Jul 04 12 02:36 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

-Anna- wrote:
Sure smile

my website: http://www.anna-pross.com

They need to make a non-prescription drug that you can take after seeing a portfolio and website like yours.

Raymond Chandler, who hung around in L.A. for awhile, for some decades, actually, wrote about a certain experience, about how it would make a bishop kick a hole painted glass window. Yes, he was writing about the devastating effect of beauty on men.

You're a model with a capital M.

$250,000 Baby, you're-a-star-award.  Bank, baby, bank. You're talented and extraordinary.

Jul 04 12 02:44 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

lol....ok, i'm game wink...

but i can say, enjoy the website wink

Herman

Jul 04 12 02:47 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

btw, you're doing a wonderfull work here , respect/cheers/applaus smile!

Jul 04 12 02:50 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

toesup wrote:
Priceless?..

Tell me what you think...

I don't like your tonality. However, I also made sure to look at your website before writing this critique. A lot of models I couldn't buy as good models but also as I mentioned tonality didn't work for me.  The way you have them pose sometimes, I didn't feel really worked well.

However, there is a shot that I have to salute you for: You did a nude on the Queen Mary. On the Queen Mary. Man, that is as bold as the British Burning Washington D.C.

I just loved that. So boldness is not a problem. Which is great.

$20,000 per annum. Old pro but come here and you would starve if you went full-time. Be safe, stay where mediocrity pays.

Well you did come here!

Jul 04 12 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

LA StarShooter wrote:

$100,000 Shark alert! Oh my God, you could eat anyone alive it seems but still you're not elite. You're making the cash but for how long? You're not quite a flavour, but you're eating well for now.

You're amazing. Not every shot, but what a photographer!!!  I looked at everything and I wanted more.

Cool! Where do I sign?
Thanks heaps smile

Jul 04 12 02:59 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Brian Scanlon wrote:
K, I'll bite.

You're struggling but it's a good struggle. One quibble. Why put experienced? I think it's time for you to put a website up and its cheaper than it's ever been. Even cheap websites have better displays of work, in slideshows, etc. than MM. MM is very good-great networking opportunities but I think you need to get that website up and it help you pick up work because it's clear from your profile that you need money for gear. One website for people like you, photographers is $24 per year.

See, I reeeeeeeeead. Okay.

I think you could light a bit better overall but you're a new kind to this and still learning and still wanting and learn and better. I'd look at the processing too. I looked at all your images.

So here is the conclusion and I do think you can get work as you work on improving, its really not far for you. 

$5000 Part-timer.  It's great-that-you're-keeping your day job-award. You can do this part-time and you may be doing it part-time. You can pick up a wedding shoot once in a while.

I didn't find anything that stunned me but still, I do think you may actually make it as a professional photographer.

Jul 04 12 03:05 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

darren cento wrote:
I love talking money - bring it

Really great work. You just work so well with models and bring out the best in them. What more could we ask for?

Jul 04 12 03:07 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Julian  W I L D E wrote:
I made a few bucks today...  Does that count??  ;-)

Here's some more: $100,000 per annum. Shark alert! Oh my God, you could eat anyone alive it seems but still you're not elite. You're making the cash but for how long? You're not quite a flavour, but you're eating well for now.

Just great work but you know that. You just want more publicity and that smart and you're just so, so smart.

You have a definite style and it attracts great models and it is really working. Congratulations.

Jul 04 12 03:13 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

MNProductions wrote:
LAStar,

We'd like to contribute $1M since it appears you're going broke with all those generous awards.
Consider that a gift along with the positive comments below.

Your use of the LA county beaches and pier is REDONK, we've never seen the beach so clean!
We almost couldn't believe you weren't using a retoucher to remove beach trash until we saw your strobe on the right side of the frame in this shot of yours.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … c6a15e.jpg

A true purist after our own hearts. Retouching is sooooooo 2011, down with CGI and 3D as well!
We're on board with you, even though it's a very long board (there's a beach pun for you since we see you love puns.. and beaches) because Beverly Hills was too rich for our blood.

More positive comments?  Sure, a generous fellow that pays his assistants so kindly deserves as much.
Water sucks, we're glad we can barely see it and we love your reckless disregard for expensive studio gear, it shows that nothing can stand in the way of your true passion, not even damaging all your sensitive lighting equipment with moisture or sand.
We wanted to ask your secret of how you were able to pull 20,000 Watts of lighting on to the beach to illuminate your gorgeous models but we understand the concept of trade secrets. Perhaps one day we'll look up into the sky and see your light and drive to the beach and catch you in the act. In the mean time you keep up the stellar work and if you would do the honor of reviewing us we'd be forever in your graces.

Thank you for everything you do. Anyone can contribute photos of models on a beach but you have given MM much more with your quick wit and remarkable sense of humor.
We eagerly await your criticism but would like to stipulate that you may keep the funds  for ridiculous parking fees you're likely to have when dealing with state beaches.

With love and respect.

MNP

You anticipated well that I would have zero dollars for you. You have six photos on you MM portfolio. My apologies if I missed a folder. Went to your website. Nothing was there. Nothing! I don't understand. Your website is "MY Panties," and you have no panties. But you're a guy so. . . You want to have panties? See how confusing things are?

That's subpar work on your MM portfolio. That's why you get this: 0.  You'll never make it here award. It means that your work couldn't sell in Los Angeles.

But you have nothing on your website to sell. Maybe it's just not working?

Jul 04 12 03:21 am Link

Photographer

MichaelClements

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Sounds like fun!
PS. I'm still upping photos to the site, just redesigned it. Be kind.

Jul 04 12 03:27 am Link

Model

Sammie Cartwright

New York, New York, US

ooooh me please honey thank you x

Jul 04 12 03:32 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
Have at it.  smile

I looked at both MM Profiles. First, I was reminded in looking at your b&w and non-technicolor work of one worthy on here who opined that black and white was covering a bad photo. I disagree. I know that sometimes if you convert to b&w sometimes the flaws in the photo are really highlighted. There was on photo which is very fine work and it looks like she has crosshatching on her foot. I was wondering it it was my screeen but doesn't appear to be.

I came across a lot that I liked, that evoked an emotional response. I particulary liked the photos of that magnificent actor with the long hair and beard. I really liked the photo of the guy with the tattooed arm where he is embracing the model and for  it was more than charged with just eroticism which could be so electric in itself.

A number of your nudes are some of the best examples of art nudes that I have seen in awhile.

On occasion I think you do really fine work that borders on magnificence.

I think you have nudes that sell or will sell already and if you haven't been exhibited lately you should have a show soon.

$60,000 per annum: You're-almost-a-monster-now-Award.

Jul 04 12 03:36 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

peter faber wrote:
i am interested

I looked at your website. Wow. You're just in the prime of life and you rock the camera. You work very well with female models and you've got charisma. Great smile and great range of expressions. Posing! Wow!

Sometimes if you advised one model to study another, or even one photographer to study another, it can be disheartening because sometimes the distance to travel is so vast in terms of improvement.

You're the gold standard for male models but I think you know this.

$100,000 Shark alert! Oh my God, you could eat anyone alive.

Jul 04 12 03:42 am Link

Model

Accountdeletedsorry

Kitui, Eastern, Kenya

LA StarShooter wrote:

They need to make a non-prescription drug that you can take after seeing a portfolio and website like yours.

Raymond Chandler, who hung around in L.A. for awhile, for some decades, actually, wrote about a certain experience, about how it would make a bishop kick a hole painted glass window. Yes, he was writing about the devastating effect of beauty on men.

You're a model with a capital M.

$250,000 Baby, you're-a-star-award.  Bank, baby, bank. You're talented and extraordinary.

Thanks!!!

Jul 04 12 03:55 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Herman van Gestel wrote:
lol....ok, i'm game wink...

but i can say, enjoy the website wink

Herman

You are to put it simply: one of the world's great photographers. Your composition is marvellous. You tonality is a beautiful richness that moves me. You have amazing processing skills.

I like on your website how you have an opera aria playing while the slideshow blows you away. And the aria is classical and passionate and so will your work  be regarded in the future. I like that you did a shoot based on Russian novel, one that I am very familiar with. What intriguing thoughts you have.

I looked at you MM portfolio before looking at the website. I was already in a state of awe.

You deserve you're own special award.

Wagner used to call his work, the music of the future.

Your work is the photography of the future.

So here's your award: (my bank didn't receive the too-big-to-fail award so don't try and cash this one any time soon but here goes: ) One million per annum. The-Future-Is-Now-Yours Award.

It is possible that on MM people will write to you expressing admiration and some will want to shoot with you, some will want to learn from you, some will want to assist you, so I apologize if your mailbox quickly becomes full.  It's all my fault.

Jul 04 12 04:01 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

MichaelClements wrote:
Sounds like fun!
PS. I'm still upping photos to the site, just redesigned it. Be kind.

I'm not kind. I am only kind when kindness is reasonable. I'm kind to children. I'm kind to little old ladies. You're kind of big for a kid and you don't loook ike an old lady. You're not blind.

This is a critique. Not a group-hugging session. I went to your website first because it was like you told me to. I was trying to see if you were trying to trick me. Trickery and it worked. Eight or nine images and I was sold. The look is just fantastic. You should break out big. On the MM I saw some images that I thought detracted from that reaction, but still I think you're going to be big:

Jul 04 12 04:10 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

sammie cartwright wrote:
ooooh me please honey thank you x

I like when you read credits and then you look at the photos and you just go, "Yes!"  I read your blog and you have a wonderful sense of humour.

You'd conquer Los Angeles as soon as you would get off the plane. It was real pleasure looking at your work.

But you already know how wonderful you are and you're probably at a hotel between shoots just passing the time until it is set time for you.

Here it is: $250,000 Baby, you're-a-star-award.

Jul 04 12 04:17 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

LA StarShooter wrote:

You are to put it simply: one of the world's great photographers. Your composition is marvellous. You tonality is a beautiful richness that moves me. You have amazing processing skills.

I like on your website how you have an opera aria playing while the slideshow blows you away. And the aria is classical and passionate and so will your work  be regarded in the future. I like that you did a shoot based on Russian novel, one that I am very familiar with. What intriguing thoughts you have.

I looked at you MM portfolio before looking at the website. I was already in a state of awe.

You deserve you're own special award.

Wagner used to call his work, the music of the future.

Your work is the photography of the future.

So here's your award: (my bank didn't receive the too-big-to-fail award so don't try and cash this one any time soon but here goes: ) One million per annum. The-Future-Is-Now-Yours Award.

It is possible that on MM people will write to you expressing admiration and some will want to shoot with you, some will want to learn from you, some will want to assist you, so I apologize if your mailbox quickly becomes full.  It's all my fault.

lol, you let me pass through a whole series of emotions, from shy, to laughter and moved for your personalized comments,

I Thank you, you made my day!

...now packing my bags for LA wink..just kidding.... i WISHED!!!

Jul 04 12 04:29 am Link

Model

Accountdeletedsorry

Kitui, Eastern, Kenya

Herman van Gestel wrote:

lol, you let me pass through a whole series of emotions, from shy, to laughter and moved for your personalized comments,

I Thank you, you made my day!

...now packing my bags for LA wink..just kidding.... i WISHED!!!

What did you expect Herman! Jij bent top! wink

Jul 04 12 04:34 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

-Anna- wrote:
What did you expect Herman! Jij bent top! wink

Lol, thnx Anna...i just wanted to express how wonderfully different worded it was...my kuddos !

Jul 04 12 04:57 am Link

Photographer

Seismic Images

Morisset, New South Wales, Australia

Ok, if this thread still going. Cheers. smile

Jul 04 12 06:10 am Link

Model

Amy Enright

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

what about me? smile

Jul 04 12 07:01 am Link

Photographer

Goat Farm Project

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Great thread!  Thanks for taking the time to provide quality feedback to everyone.  I'm learning a lot...

Jul 04 12 07:07 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

what a fun thread. can I go to the bank or the pawn shop?

Jul 04 12 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Varton

New York, New York, US

Neil Snape wrote:
what a fun thread. can I go to the bank or the pawn shop?

You will definitely go to the bank, :-)

Jul 04 12 07:24 am Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Interested if you're still going smile

Jul 04 12 07:28 am Link

Photographer

William Joseph

Pine Beach, New Jersey, US

Hit me with your best shot. I love honesty, and I am open to any and all criticism I get, constructive or not. (Note I do have a website that is under construction. I'll be done with it soon. It's a flash website. But for now facebook is up there)

Jul 04 12 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Dimitrio

Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

sure.

Jul 04 12 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Raw and the cooked

London, England, United Kingdom

I have been to your port,why do I care?

Jul 04 12 08:54 am Link

Model

Luna Diosa

Elizabeth, New Jersey, US

Curious

Jul 04 12 09:10 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Seismic Images wrote:
Ok, if this thread still going. Cheers. smile

I looked at the experience tab and it made me asked this question: unless there's a conflict-of-interest for you. Why is there no website?  Maybe I missed it. But if there is none and money is an issue, websites for photographers have never been cheaper. Lots of bargains out there for you.

The portfolio didn't make me think of some of the Ancient Greek I know: which is translated into sing, Goddess, sing. And then it goes in the wrath of Achilles. I think some of the processing is good but I didn't find a single image that really sang to me. I wasn't in a state of wrath, I hadn't reach indifference, either.  I think composition and it is mostly your approach to the subject that didn't quite work for me. The way you setup shoots and angle and even when the composition is good I didn't find the llama really popped.

So, I based this on the idea that this is not your main gig as there's no website I could find:

$5000 Part-timer.  It's great-that-you're-keeping your day job-award. You can do this part-time and you may be doing it part-time. You can pick up a wedding shoot once in a while.

Jul 04 12 09:45 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Amy Enright wrote:
what about me? smile

You have nine pics in your portfolio. You're 5ft 6 inches and that's okay for quite a few people in the commercial world yet you don't have an full-length photo. Some nice processing by the photographers but I didn't see any image that really popped although one or two of the headshots are undoubtedly cute.

Do you have more photos of quality?  For some models they really make a lot of money between 16-18. Light loves the skin so and so people write "fresh."

You could probably build a more powerful portfolio with TF but it can be hard. It's dicey to spend money. You have to find the right photographer, someone who believes they can make powerful images of you.

At this stage you're a question mark.

You don't do nudes and in L.A. the age requirement would mean that you couldn't really do that here, anyway. 

To get a good comp card developed (Maybe you have one but you just haven't shown it) perhaps writing to some of the experienced models here who are very successfull might payoff. Ask if you can see theirs. I would keep it that simple. Rather than asking for posing and total career advice, which could take a lot of time, you could learn a lot by seeing their professional presentation.

There's such an aura of sweetness attending your portfolio that I don't really want to critique you. I just want to buy you chocolate.

I hope that you don't mind that I pass.

Jul 04 12 10:05 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Raw and the cooked wrote:
I have been to your port,why do I care?

I think it's smart to turn up in a thread and even if you don't want a review just to remind people that you're here. You're clever. An Industry veteran. So, no critique for you. Just a salute to your genius for self-promotion. I was really going to go into over-drive for you but hey, it's right to refuse. Again, you're a master of the game of self-promotion.

Jul 04 12 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Brosius Photographics

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'd love to know.  Thanks.

Mark

Jul 04 12 10:15 am Link

Model

Venessa Baez

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

LA StarShooter wrote:
$20,000 old pro is your rating but come here and you would starve if you went full-time. Be safe, stay where mediocrity pays.

-jaw drop- I thought I would get the 5k big_smile lol

Jul 04 12 10:15 am Link