Forums > General Industry > Is Facebook killing Model Mayhem.

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Facebook killing Model Mayhem comes as no surprise with all the issues MM is having (see SR forum), blank pages, 502, can't log on, can't read my PM's ect ect.

Aug 07 12 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

_Rei_ wrote:

Actually, what bothers me most about FB is that there's no distinction on the basis of image style (though I know how hard this would be to moderate).

Want to show a tasteful black and white of a male nude in silhouette? Get a warning or your account suspended.

Got a bodyscape, a great implied fashion nude or even a pic of "The Birth Of Venus" to display? Warning or suspension.

Want to put on a lime-green thong and take an ass-first shot with your iPhone? Hey, go right ahead.

Well missy, you probably got away with the thong because you looked good.

:-)

Aug 07 12 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Beauty Photo

Lansing, Michigan, US

DanaColePix wrote:
  If you  know and learn how to use FB right and well....its a powerhorse of a tool !!!

I totally agree! Facebook is one of the most useful networking and marketing tools I have available to me. I use it daily to network with many industry professionals and prospective clients not on MM and regularly interact with agents/reps, art/creative directors, magazine editors, clothing lines, etc. That's not possible here. I also get far more legitimate inquiries through there as well, which includes paid work. I am not here to find work and I rarely book shoots here, either. I'm mostly just here to chat.

Aug 07 12 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

Heck no.  MM still rules.  FB doesn't allow nudes, nough said.

Likes me  https://www.facebook.com/barepixels

haha

Aug 07 12 05:42 pm Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

can't happen, fb doesn't allow nekkid pics tongue

Aug 07 12 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Moore Photo Graphix

Washington, District of Columbia, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:
Facebook killing Model Mayhem comes as no surprise with all the issues MM is having (see SR forum), blank pages, 502, can't log on, can't read my PM's ect ect.

If I follow your logic, Ken Block's Gymkhana videos are to blame for empty seats at Nascar events and Indycar's less than stellar TV ratings. Even though motorsports are one theme they have in common, that's an apples and oranges comparison. Sure we all know the issues MM has. However, they have more to do with IB than FB.

FB has it issues, too. They don't allow nudes, and they're serious about it. They made news in the past over their privacy issues. Also, alot of folks aren't fans of their mandatory timeline feature, even if people are able to go around it. There are those who know how to use with no issues. Then, there are those who find fb not worthy of their time, regardless of their efforts to learn it. I don't think Mark Zuckerberg created this site to be the go to spot for modeling and photography the same way Sting didn't expect the song "Every Breathe You Take" to be go to song for weddings and proms. But I digress!

Aug 07 12 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

GlamUpPhotos

Alamogordo, New Mexico, US

When I first joined MM it was pretty tough to open an account. For photographers you had to have two different llamas in your port and llamas had to have photos from two different photographers in their port to get in. It also seemed that they somewhat juried those who applied. About a year ago I noticed that had severely changed!! More creeps with cameras getting in as were girls who were in no way serious about llamaing, you all know what I mean, "the FB llama". I mean seriously if I wanted to find llamas to work with who were not serious in their work, I can go to FB. So I gave up on MM and basically abandoned my account.

Then a few weeks ago I decided to come back on, update my account and give it another try. Needless to say I was again very disappointed with the experience. I contacted 10 "models" in my area, only 2 read my message and only one of the two responded to me. Then I noticed even more creeps in my area getting in, one of which isn't even a photographer, he video tapes and trust me, this is no director!! When I saw that I started considering pulling my account altogether!

My point, in my opinion, this is what has killed MM. At one time I had paid membership here, now I wouldn’t have a paid membership here for any reason. Very sad, this place went to the dogs, it could have been a great place for professionals to network and find others seriously trying to make a name for themselves in this business. I know llamas trusted that photogs who had an account here were professionals, now those llamas don't have that here (and yes I know, they never really had that here but there was some sense of security at one time).

Sorry for the vent, jmo  ;o)

Aug 07 12 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

I've seen new port with a baby pic and the rest of the pic's look like family album snaps.
That's how easy it is to open an account on MM.

Aug 07 12 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm going to go out on a limb here and hold the opinion that Facebook basically dominated every social media network on the web.

Aug 07 12 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

P-Studios wrote:
HALF THE MODELS ON MM OUR GONE MM NEEDS TO DO A CLEAN UP ON ANY ONE NOT USING THERE PAGE FOR OVER 9 MO

Except then their ad revenue would drop considerably. They use the term "active members" loosely when posting their numbers. If you don't cancel your profile or have it terminated then it's considered active. YEARS of non use will not deactivate an account.

Aug 07 12 06:39 pm Link

Model

Bunny Bombshell

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lol, in a word: No. I don't think fb has anything on this site

Aug 08 12 10:01 am Link

Photographer

GeorgeMann

Orange, California, US

R Michael Walker wrote:
Except then their ad revenue would drop considerably. They use the term "active members" loosely when posting their numbers. If you don't cancel your profile or have it terminated then it's considered active. YEARS of non use will not deactivate an account.

Ad revenue from all the inactive and active accounts seems to be the reason used by all internet modeling sites for keeping dead profiles.
I would be interested to know how many photographers/models actually read the ads, and/or purchase anything because they saw it advertised on MM, omp, MB, Mi, or any of the modeling sites?
Me, I know I never look at the ads, and do all my photography related buying from my local Pro shop or on-line at one of the internet distributors.

Aug 12 12 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Wild Image Media

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Just another tool with different strengths - might as well use the whole suite of available support out there.

Aug 12 12 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Random Shutter Clicks

PORTER CORNERS, New York, US

Model Mayhem is killing Model Mayhem.  The democratization of photography is great.  It becomes problematic when the media (Model Mayhem) glorifies the worst of it.  That said  - although the discourse is much higher in general on FB and it is much easier to share as well - I still meet stupid people every day on FB.

Aug 12 12 11:14 am Link

Model

Jess Cantell

Exeter, England, United Kingdom

Whatever happens.. I prefer this site, my facebook is full of stuff I don't want to read and I feel individual contacts can get drowned by your other contacts.

Aug 12 12 11:19 am Link

Model

Jansu

Albany, New York, US

Lizzy Borden wrote:
can't happen, fb doesn't allow nekkid pics tongue

VKontakte allows nekkid pics;)

Aug 12 12 07:23 pm Link

Model

Jansu

Albany, New York, US

You can't upload videos here, You have a PM limit here, You have a shouting limit here. You have to pay for extra slots up to 200....so yeah... FB..

Aug 12 12 07:26 pm Link

Model

Kimora Wolfe

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

AJScalzitti wrote:

That would lower the membership numbers and impact ad revenue - something IB values far more then us I am afraid.

I always wondered why that was.....
Same thing goes for Myspace when it died....

Aug 12 12 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Random Shutter Clicks

PORTER CORNERS, New York, US

I post naked photographs on TUMBLR and post the link on FB.  Win-Win.

Aug 12 12 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

You've just got on facebook pretty recently then... Since a few years back it was having issues like that as well.

=/

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Aug 14 12 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Lowell photography

West Vero Corridor, Florida, US

Facebook has just as many if not more flakes!

Nov 25 12 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Facebook is GARBAGE!! I hate the screens, I hate that people are allowed to ask me to play stupid childish games... Total waste of time!

Nov 25 12 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Coyote Creations NW

Vancouver, Washington, US

Like an ink blot test, most of the replies tell us more about the poster than about the tools.

First, responses to casting calls. I get good responses to casting calls and PMs on MM with minimal flake rate but mostly from a very small pool of active models.  I get much wider response from a simple note on facebook asking for models or their recommendations for models.  On social media and in the real world MODELS NETWORK.  It may be a genetic predisposition.  I don't know, but I have found very few exceptions. If you are an introverted loner, no social netwoking site is going to find models for you.  There are potential models everywhere. If you can't locate and book them, do some self examination.

Second, I am a student of the art.  I spend time and money on professional workshops, work as an assistant in genres I am unfamiliar with (did my first live fashion shoot as a second shooter within the last two weeks) and wear out my screen watching Lynda.com.  The forums here can be fun, but they are usually not very authoritative.  Granted there are exceptions. Peano in the Retoucher forum is as good as anyone I have run across.  There are a few in the photography forum.  I don't read the Critique forum much because it is mostly ridiculous.  Just like most internet forums, MM forums have a lot of shouting and posts by people with little knowledge but strong opinions.

Third, if professional means getting or wanting to get paid, MM has a lot of professional models and photographers.  If professional means dedicated, capable of doing good work, and approaching this as a business or a serious avocation, the percentage of professional on MM is not all that high.  Maybe a little higher than facebook but the difference between 20% and 25% may not be very significant.

Fourth, I shoot nudes sometimes.  Not a big part of my work.  Not having nudes on FB can be somewhat limiting, but it also seems to limit the number of voyeurs doing nothing but looking at photos for their own pleasure, not serious photographers or models.  Some might see this as an advantage for FB.

Fifth, I haven't been a member long enough to see clear trends. However, most of the models I work with are also using local groups on FB or other coop sites where the community is smaller, more local and more tightly connected.  I think this is likely the future of model networking.

Last thought, trying to keep an international network together when a large percentage of the work is local and the site has to be supported by general advertising seems like a tough row to hoe.  Hope MM doesn't go away, but it may have outlived its business model.

Nov 25 12 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

No. Facebook has done a wonderful enough job killing itself.

Nov 25 12 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
No. Facebook has done a wonderful enough job killing itself.

MM isn't far behind on the killing itself trail.

Nov 25 12 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Lowell Photography wrote:
Facebook has just as many if not more flakes!

My avi's a model of FB, 2-3 PM's sorted.

Nov 25 12 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

George Ruge wrote:
Facebook is GARBAGE!! I hate the screens, I hate that people are allowed to ask me to play stupid childish games... Total waste of time!

You should take a second and learn how to use it. smile

Some of us break bank marketing with FB.  It's a no brainer.

Nov 25 12 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

MM isn't far behind on the killing itself trail.

I can't see where FB is slowing down.  I have seen it on MM for a long while.

Nov 25 12 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

They are both committing suicide out of over-confident negligence.

Nov 25 12 02:52 pm Link

Model

Melodye Joy

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I have found that using MM as well as FB is both hindering and beneficial...

Example? I have had photographers post images BEFORE publication, tag me and then the publishing 'contract' is broken...even if the photographer knew before hand.

On another note; the limitless uploading done on FaceBook can be a blessing. I can't pay X amount to upload more images to MM nor do I want to necessarily clutter my MM profile, so, that's where FB is handy.

As for castings, I have had just about the same luck, wither on MM or FB when requesting artists to collaborate on a project.

Overall?
I personally feel Facebook, MySpace, Google +...are just more social networks that can be benificial as well as a hindrance. Depends on HOW you make use of any tools given, yes?

Nov 25 12 02:58 pm Link