Forums > Model Colloquy > Should Photographers Credit Their Models on MM?

Photographer

JohnG Las Vegas

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I credit all MM models unless they ask me not to.
I have some shots of an MM member who was involved in a child custody case and specifically asked me NOT to credit her nudes.
Other "uncredited" models are not MM members.
When shooting trade with MM members, I specify I will credit participants and ask the same from them.

Nov 16 12 11:34 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

natural beauties of qld wrote:
It is interesting that, so far, the replies to this thread are 4 to 1 photographers to models. 

Maybe it is just co-incidence, but it fits with my impression that photographers are more aware than models of the etiquette with crediting.

Or...we just have far more time on our hands than the models.

I agree though that photographers are aware of the etiquette. Which makes it more reprehensible when crediting is avoided because of a photographers possessiveness.

I mean, if we're going to succeed as pimps, we gotsta share our stables.

Nov 16 12 11:39 am Link

Model

No longer active-

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I think models should be credited on photos smile unless they prefer not to be

Nov 16 12 11:42 am Link

Photographer

TallPix

Miami Springs, Florida, US

Some of my models have stalkers...... even here on MM.  I have been contacted and badgered by few of them.  I run interference for some.of my models.

Also some.if my models.only do my content with me....... and no one else.  They do not advertise that they do my stuff

Nov 16 12 11:48 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

FacadePhoto wrote:
There are many photographers, here on MM, who do not credit their models.  This makes it difficult for other photographers to track down a model they might want to work with.   Maybe that's the whole point of not providing a credit!

I'd like to hear comments from both models and photographers about listing--or NOT listing--model credits on a photo.

It's your forum!

Most of the women I photograph aren't models- they're friends or clients. They aren't looking to shoot with anyone else and they have been kind enough to allow me the use of the image in my work.

I am AMAZED at how some people jump to conclusions and assume I am a dick because I didn't give the credit to a model (not saying you did that, but it has been inferred in other similar threads), and frankly I get tired of PMs that ask for a person's email or contact info.

Nov 16 12 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

Alexandra - C wrote:

Certainly, vice verse.

Nov 16 12 11:51 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I do, or their agency if it's a test shoot.  I find that when a MM is not credited it's often because she took it off via credited work or the photographer is a d-bag trying to make sure no "steals their models"

P.S. this obviously doesn't cover the shit site code that makes them disappear...

Nov 16 12 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

S W I N S K E Y wrote:
i refuse to credit models because i don't want other local photographers to contact them and shoot better pictures with them...

Selfish!     big_smile

Nov 16 12 01:04 pm Link

Model

Sabryna S

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

I always credit whoever I work with, even if they're not on MM. So far I've been credited in return.

Nov 16 12 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

FacadePhoto wrote:
There are many photographers, here on MM, who do not credit their models.  This makes it difficult for other photographers to track down a model they might want to work with.   Maybe that's the whole point of not providing a credit!

I'd like to hear comments from both models and photographers about listing--or NOT listing--model credits on a photo.

It's your forum!

I credit models unless they ask me not to.  Some models are fine with art nude shoots, but prefer not to be credited.

Nov 16 12 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

Alexandra - C wrote:

Exactly, Alexandra !

Nov 16 12 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

LLOYD WRIGHT

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

in my limited experience on here it is models that don't credit the photographer!

Nov 16 12 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
Should? Yes.

Be required to? No.

Nov 16 12 06:48 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I find that it is mostly models that don't credit photographers, not the other way around. I also find it is just laziness when I don't see credits because they don't credit ANYONE, they are not being selective.

The only thing you can do is ask the person directly who they worked with. You never know if you don't ask;)

Nov 16 12 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Isis22 wrote:
I find that it is mostly models that don't credit photographers, not the other way around. I also find it is just laziness when I don't see credits because they don't credit ANYONE, they are not being selective.

The only thing you can do is ask the person directly who they worked with. You never know if you don't ask;)

I shot with a fantastic model who used five or six of my shots, and didn't credit me, sadly.

Nov 16 12 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

DarrylPascoePhotography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

New Century Studio wrote:
My models are signed agency talents, and choose not to participate on MM,

This ^^^ .

but I certainly think should if they want the credit on here.

Nov 16 12 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

The Aperture Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Should? Yes.

Be required to? No.

I agree.

Nov 16 12 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Always do unless I was asked not to... and that hasn't happened yet.

Nov 16 12 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

when you are shooting with agency models most of them dont care to be credited here - at least that is my experience

Nov 16 12 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

D S P

Portland, Oregon, US

Should? Yes.

Be required to? No.

Yes
I always ask the model first though.

Nov 16 12 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Erik Ballew wrote:
I always do, but I find that I also hardly get credit from the model, witch I'd love to get, since the models get all the views...

Often true!

Nov 17 12 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Matthew Naglich

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Always give credit where credit is due -- unless the model would not want to be credited.  On a networking site, I couldn't imagine why a model wouldn't want to be credited....

Nov 17 12 05:59 am Link

Photographer

BodyIndustry

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Always give credit, unless they are not on MM or asked not to be credited.

Nov 17 12 06:01 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

Yes, unless they ask not to be credited and/or aren't on MM.

Nov 17 12 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

natural beauties of qld wrote:
It is interesting that, so far, the replies to this thread are 4 to 1 photographers to models. 

Maybe it is just co-incidence, but it fits with my impression that photographers are more aware than models of the etiquette with crediting.

Or its an issue (or nonissue) that boths sides have to deal w/.

Nov 17 12 11:07 am Link

Model

KaliChaos

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

I always credit photographers that I work with, provided that they have an MM account. Also if any other people are involved with the shoot, like other models and MUA's.

If they don't have a MM account I still caption their name, and it is also put on my profile (Several people I have worked with don't have MM accounts but still deserve the credit in my eyes).

It would be nice for a photographer to do the same, and if they haven't credited me I do ask them to. If they don't however there isn't much I can do. Add a list/comment to the image or something of that sort is possible but it's also possible for them to delete it.

Kayz

Nov 17 12 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

FacadePhoto wrote:

It's your forum!

I think that all parties should credit each other on the photos posted... after all... this site is also a huge networking tool!

Nov 17 12 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

WestCoast Photo

Daly City, California, US

i try to credit but chrome doesnt seem to like to work with this site and i cant submit any changes with names.. have to do it in firefox

Nov 17 12 12:11 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Platform Artist

Chicago, Illinois, US

it doesnt matter , really.

Nov 17 12 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Jhono Bashian wrote:
If I shoot a MM talent I will always credit him/her.

+!...unless they ask not to be credited which HAS happened. I get models from time to time who say "no nudes" and don't post any on their profile but they pose nude for me. THEY don't want to be linked in my work.

Nov 17 12 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Harris Photography

Metuchen, New Jersey, US

FacadePhoto wrote:
Why haven't you given credit to this llama ?

I did but sometimes the credits disappear.  Just fixed it. Thanks!

Keep in mind that we all now have the ability to remove a credit if we would rather not be linked to a photograph. I have worked with one terrific llama who is very fussy about the photographs to which she is linked. She did not ask that they not be used, just not credited. You might find it gone again at some future date.

Nov 17 12 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Isis22 wrote:

I send the mpdel a polite note asking them to credit me.  AND I include my MM# 2208590. I had a time or two to walk them through the steps to add credits.

Only time I don't credit is by request, usually for nudes.

Nov 17 12 03:31 pm Link

Model

Misty R H

Anaheim, California, US

S W I N S K E Y wrote:
i refuse to credit models because i don't want other local photographers to contact them and shoot better pictures with them...

That is kind of selfish. It's like a model not giving you credit because you might shoot better picture of another model.

If someone shoots that model better. Learn from that and improve.

Nov 17 12 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

S W I N S K E Y wrote:

Misty R H wrote:
That is kind of selfish. It's like a model not giving you credit because you might shoot better picture of another model.

Adjust your sarcasm meter from its low setting.... wink

Nov 17 12 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I credit all models ... unless they don't have or close their MM account.

I've looked at pictures in portfolios and think "wow, what a great model" so I click on the credit link ... this member either isn't a member or is waiting for their account to be approved.  In the event someone is looking at my port and decides to check out a model I shot, this won't happen to them.

On the other hand, I've looked at some models ports and seen where they didn't give me credit at all.  I'd like it if they did, especially since the agreement they signed says they will.  Far more common is the model who will list my name but not MM number.  Technically it's the same thing as no one will know to look for me here on MM.  There is also no link for Google and other search engines to find.

Nov 17 12 05:36 pm Link

Retoucher

PWF Retouch

Jacksonville, North Carolina, US

Just be glad you're not a retoucher. We barely ever get credited. People want others to think they always look prefect :p

Nov 17 12 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

PWF Retouch wrote:
Just be glad you're not a retoucher. We barely ever get credited. People want others to think they always look prefect :p

I wouldn't have a problem not getting credit if they were giving me money. Unfortunately, most don't.

Nov 17 12 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

S W I N S K E Y wrote:

Misty R H wrote:

Small Fruit Pits wrote:
Adjust your sarcasm meter from its low setting.... wink

Exactly.

Swinskey doesn't think anyone can shoot better pictures.

Nov 17 12 08:50 pm Link

Model

LisaInLondon

London, England, United Kingdom

As a model, you're expected to credit the photographer, so why shouldn't the photographer credit the model? (except when she asked not to etc.)

Nov 18 12 08:48 am Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

It would be nice if I were to be credited by a photographer.

It would also be splendid if models credited other models in their photos.
smile

Nov 18 12 08:56 am Link