Forums > Critique > Does your work stand out?

Photographer

Starsquid

s-Gravenhage, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Lucid-Grafx Photography wrote:

Well that is good! I really like the simple aesthetic of your images. The lighting catches my eye- but the clean styling and posing really stand out to me. There is something pushing me toward saying fantastic for your work- as it is so simple- yet I keep looking at it and enjoying it.

I really like this image: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29011261

aww...you made me blush wink
Thanks for your time!!

Dec 05 12 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

New Bedford, Massachusetts, US

Lauren Sweeney-Fenton wrote:
Oh I'd like to know what and why!

Definitely fantastic! I love the variety in your looks- great styling, fantastic facial structure- all around wonderful! For some reason this image stands out as my favorite of yours- maybe it is my love of classic styling: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/13718091

Dec 05 12 05:27 pm Link

Model

Alex Andrews

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Let me know 😃

Dec 05 12 06:02 pm Link

Retoucher

MSL Retouch

Miami, Florida, US

hopefully not a blah =]

Dec 05 12 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Anchor Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Take a look!

Dec 05 12 06:19 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Winnie Loo

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

smile

Dec 05 12 07:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

NatalijaM

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

i'm a beginner mua..and would love to hear fantastic meh or blah something smile

Dec 05 12 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

MeganJeanne

San Clemente, California, US

I would love to know! Any images that are just lame and need to be removed?

Dec 05 12 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Joseph William

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hey is this still happening.

Dec 05 12 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Alex Andrews wrote:
Let me know 😃

For now I have to go with meh. You have a good look going for you, but there is nothing in your current portfolio that brings that out and makes me say wow, or really anything beyond, meh. But, find the right photographer, and the right concept and I could see your work standing out.

Dec 08 12 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

MSL Retouch wrote:
hopefully not a blah =]

Nope, not a blah! But I am having mixed feelings looking through your work. Some if it I really like, but some of them I really do not. My main challenge is the skin texture on several of your images- some are blurred, but others that are not feel over textured or something. It could all be my personal taste, but I am going to go with meh- but the upper end of meh.

This is one of the images that feel over textured to me: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30131007

Dec 08 12 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Anchor Photo wrote:
Take a look!

I want to give you something higher than meh, as it seems you are going after a vision and enjoy what you are doing, but I just cannot bring myself to it. Something about your concepts, and the execution of them feels off to me. Part of it is personal taste- I do not dig several of your concepts- but reagrdless of that there just feels like a flatness in the execution of some of them. You have vision, it seems, but maybe your technical skills need a little more polishing to catch up with that vision. I would chack back at your portfolio though, to see where you are going.

Dec 08 12 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Winnie Loo wrote:
smile

I love your choice of colors and texture. I would go with fantastic!

And as someone who by profession work in the environmental field- you won me over with this: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/19019155 but, recyceld materials aside- I really love the texture and style of that wardrobe. I would hire you on!

Dec 08 12 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

StarbrightN wrote:
i'm a beginner mua..and would love to hear fantastic meh or blah something smile

I am going to go with meh for now. I see some skills peeking through in your portfolio, so I think all you need is the chance to get out there and work with more people and build up a portfolio to move toward your real potential. I would shoot trade wiht you if you were in my area- as I think we could come up with some concepts that would benefit both of our skills. So yeah- get out there and work, find photographers who are interested in the type of work you are and make something happen!

Dec 08 12 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

MeganJeanne wrote:
I would love to know! Any images that are just lame and need to be removed?

I like your work, I really do! I am going with meh for now, only because I do not think you have reached your potential yet. I like your concepts and vision, but your technical skills need some polishing to catch up with them. Little details stand out that distracted me:

in this image your shadow on his leg is awkward- to be honest when I was scrolling down the image my first thought was a dog pissed on his leg, then I scrolled further and saw the shadow: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30775947  your shadow can be a cool part of an image- but watch where you place it!

I like where you were going with this concept: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28765293 but, if I were you, I would pull that one down and consider reshooting that concept. It is a bit flat, and it would awesome to see the lights actually lit up. In its current state it does nothing for your portfolio and should go.

Your current avatar and the other image from that shoot do nothing for me. I definitely do not think this is your best choice for avatar. The other image from that shoot could be cropped differently to make it stronger- unless you specifically wanted the crop that way. I would pick one or the other and delete one (or both)

So ++ on your creativity- I am curious to see where you go in the future!

Dec 08 12 08:00 am Link

Photographer

OpenMind Photography

Madison, Alabama, US

I'm in

Dec 08 12 08:02 am Link

Photographer

NeufeldDesigns

London, Ontario, Canada

Let me have it!

Dec 08 12 08:19 am Link

Model

BethanyKay

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'd love to know

Dec 08 12 10:49 am Link

Photographer

MeganJeanne

San Clemente, California, US

I like your work, I really do! I am going with meh for now, only because I do not think you have reached your potential yet. I like your concepts and vision, but your technical skills need some polishing to catch up with them. Little details stand out that distracted me:

in this image your shadow on his leg is awkward- to be honest when I was scrolling down the image my first thought was a dog pissed on his leg, then I scrolled further and saw the shadow: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30775947  your shadow can be a cool part of an image- but watch where you place it!

I like where you were going with this concept: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28765293 but, if I were you, I would pull that one down and consider reshooting that concept. It is a bit flat, and it would awesome to see the lights actually lit up. In its current state it does nothing for your portfolio and should go.

Your current avatar and the other image from that shoot do nothing for me. I definitely do not think this is your best choice for avatar. The other image from that shoot could be cropped differently to make it stronger- unless you specifically wanted the crop that way. I would pick one or the other and delete one (or both)

So ++ on your creativity- I am curious to see where you go in the future!

Thank you very much! Super helpful.

Dec 08 12 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Andy - Acor Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ok, mirror mirror on the wall ....

Dec 09 12 09:22 am Link

Model

Marceline Sanguine

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

What do you think? Be frank.

Dec 09 12 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Brosius Photographics

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'm a big boy...

Mark

Dec 09 12 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Quinno Photto

Orlando, Florida, US

would love to know what you think! (:

Dec 09 12 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Model Starr Photography wrote:
I'm in

Meh, it takes really strong glam images for them to stand out to me. So much of what I see out there in MM land is glam images- and most seem to blend together into a sea of sameness. I realize this abundance is because it is a popular genre- but still...

I see your work fitting into that sea of glam. The quality is fine, but nothing stands out to me as unique.

Dec 09 12 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

NeufeldDesigns wrote:
Let me have it!

Your post work skills are fairly solid- but the photography to support them is not standing out to me. I would love to see you push some boundaries of manipulation, creating worlds that are just beyond possible. I am not talking sci fi- but something that at first glance appears possible- but when we look deeper into your world it is not. I am saying this as I see this world just peering through in a couple of your images- and think it is somewhere you could go that would stand out. Overall though- for  the moment- meh

Dec 09 12 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

BethanyKay wrote:
I'd love to know

Looking through your portfolio I get a sense that lifestyle images are a direction for you- but then reading your profile it sounds as though you want to go in a conceptual/creative direction. I am not quite seeing the stories yet- but I see your talent there wanting to bring out the story. Maybe it is location choices- maybe your stories would have more life outside of the studio- except for the ones that should obviously be in the studio. Maybe shoot on location more? It sounds like you have ideas- just need to find the places and photographers to help you bring them to life! For now I am going to have to go with meh- sorry.

Dec 09 12 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Andy - Acor Studio wrote:
Ok, mirror mirror on the wall ....

Meh, sorry. It jeust feels like some of your images are missing something. They feel pretty static and like the chemistry between the model and the concept were not there. One picture in particular makes me say blah- but overall I will bump you up into meh status.

Dec 09 12 01:04 pm Link

Model

LisaInLondon

London, England, United Kingdom

I added some new shots, curious about your thoughts now!

Dec 09 12 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Marceline Sanguine wrote:
What do you think? Be frank.

Well, you certainly stand out as the type of model I want to work with! Overall I like your portfolio and a few images stand out to me as quite fantastic. You might benefit from a slight portfolio trim, as some images I feel bring the feel of your work down. However there are enough strong images to move me toward fantastic status- though I might just be biased based on wanting to work with you smile

I really like this image: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28724019

Dec 09 12 01:12 pm Link

Model

Chanelle Sarai

Los Angeles, California, US

me please smile

Dec 09 12 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Brosius Photographics wrote:
I'm a big boy...

Mark

Tricky one! While there are no "bad" images in your portfolio- I will say that the large number of images you have make the really strong images blend into a sea of meh. I so however see some really strong images hidden around in there- which make me want to say fantastic- but the less than fantastic ones make me want to say meh. I will go with fantastic- but beg a plead for you to consider doing some trimming to really make your portfolio strong and stand out. I know that is cliche feedback on here- but I know for myself, I give the beginning of the portfolio a pretty solid look, but then halfway down I just start scrolling really fast. I saw some great images firther down in your portfolio- but I had to force myself to really look.

Dec 09 12 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

DareImagesArt

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Pretty big balls to critique others folios, when i would probably place you in the "meh"
But you did get a lot of fish to bite, including me...
Just can't see the point to it as we all have entirely different perspectives,
Never mind...

Dec 09 12 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Quinno Photto wrote:
would love to know what you think! (:

Your work is pretty solid- but it is not quite standing out for me yet. I see some quality there- but maybe a lack of your personal style in there. Where are you in the images that would make it stand out from someone else's work? You have a nice, clean style- and can really make that work for you- just have to figure out how to make it unique, and stand out in the crowd.

Dec 09 12 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Brosius Photographics

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Tricky one! While there are no "bad" images in your portfolio- I will say that the large number of images you have make the really strong images blend into a sea of meh. I so however see some really strong images hidden around in there- which make me want to say fantastic- but the less than fantastic ones make me want to say meh. I will go with fantastic- but beg a plead for you to consider doing some trimming to really make your portfolio strong and stand out. I know that is cliche feedback on here- but I know for myself, I give the beginning of the portfolio a pretty solid look, but then halfway down I just start scrolling really fast. I saw some great images firther down in your portfolio- but I had to force myself to really look.

Thank you for taking the time to look through my images. I agree, I need to eliminate some of my weaker images.

Mark

Dec 09 12 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

DareImagesArt wrote:
Pretty big balls to critique others folios, when i would probably place you in the "meh"
But you did get a lot of fish to bite, including me...
Just can't see the point to it as we all have entirely different perspectives,
Never mind...

Ha ha, yeah, well I never will claim to be anything beyond meh with my work. I do what I enjoy, and some people love what I do, some hate it, some are indifferent. As you said- we all have entirely different perspectives, and that is critical in any creative endeavour. Personally- that entirely different perspective is exactly the point for me- I want to hear from photographers and models who's work is very different from mine, and those that think my work is crap. AND- I want to see people's work who are very different than mine. There is more to life for me than that which I agree with, or that what fits into my personal aesthetic. I learn from everyone...

Dec 09 12 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

LizaK wrote:
I added some new shots, curious about your thoughts now!

I like the new shots- especially this one: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30905364 but not quite ready to say fantastic just yet smile I know you are only a couple shots away from it though!

Dec 09 12 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Chanelle Sarai wrote:
me please smile

You have a couple pictures that are quite fantastic- wonderful hair, face, posing etc. But then a few that are meh. At the moment, I will say overall meh- with some strong images. I have said it to a bunch of folks before you (and say it to myself all the time) trim those images from your port that are not your strongest images. That will increase the overall impact of your work, and make the gems in your portfolio stand out all the more.

Dec 09 12 01:59 pm Link

Model

Outlaw

Beaumont, Texas, US

I'm interested smile

Dec 09 12 03:18 pm Link

Model

Roxie Morgan-Woods

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I'd like to know your opinion smile

Dec 09 12 03:25 pm Link

Photographer