Forums > Critique > Does your work stand out?

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

New Bedford, Massachusetts, US

UltimateAppeal wrote:

Thanks. Now I am curious why you chose that image as curious... personally it isn't one of my favorites.

Ahh! a local! I am actually in Shelburne Falls, but who the hell knows where that is unless you grew up around here?

And no, I do not feel that image is your best per se, but I do feel it stood out for me as something with a different feel. Sure, part of it was that it is B&W, and that it has a little bit of a gritty feel to it- both things that draw me into images- but it leaves me curious to see you explore some new things and challeneg yourself. I am not saying go out and shoot a bunch of images like that, but go out and shoot some stuff you have not shot before. That's all.

BTW, used to live in Greenfield and Millers Falls.... just looked at the house I lived in when I was in Millers (google streetview) and looks like its about to fall to the ground.

Nov 30 12 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thank you again... and Shelburne Falls, everyone knows that.... if they know where Bill Cosby lived (not sure if he still does). smile

Nov 30 12 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Lucid-Grafx Photography wrote:

I have been watching your port grow for a while- quietly lurking and peeking every once in a while smile

In a much less creepy sense I have seen it steadily improve and feel you have slipped into fantastic for me. The best out there? No, sorry. But see stuff that I dig and enjoy clicking on the thumbnail to see the larger image on my screen.

This image has a great energy and feeling of fun to it- I love the model's expression https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/26428940

What the f do you mean I am not the best??

Just kidding. That was one of the nicest critiques I ever got:)  Made my day.

Nov 30 12 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

H Weidmann Photography wrote:
K, I'm in :-)

Yeah. Holy crap! Your port is great!

Easily in the fantastic world. I need to bookmark it and go back and take a look when my eyes feel better!

I cannot choose an individual image at the moment, but will say that your "dark" album grabs me more than the "light" one. But I guess I am just a dark dude smile

Nov 30 12 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Sure - have a look -  I've not really made it my goal to "stand out" in the sense I take you to mean, however.  Nonetheless,  critique away.

Nov 30 12 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

UltimateAppeal wrote:
Thank you again... and Shelburne Falls, everyone knows that.... if they know where Bill Cosby lived (not sure if he still does). smile

Yeah, Bill is still here smile I guess a ton of people know this town for its quaint New England charm smile

Nov 30 12 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Dan K Photography wrote:

What the f do you mean I am not the best??

Just kidding. That was one of the nicest critiques I ever got:)  Made my day.

Well, just tellin like it is wink

Nov 30 12 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

le roy le croix

Grove Place, Saint Croix, Virgin Islands of the United States

don't have any questions but I would love your opinion smile

Nov 30 12 08:35 pm Link

Model

Ereka Marcelino

Kihei, Hawaii, US

Please....tell me something honest. hienvy

Nov 30 12 08:35 pm Link

Model

Kess M

Brooklyn, New York, US

having a curious night bunny

Nov 30 12 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

This User Is Not Here

Durango, Colorado, US

I'd love your thoughts if you're still going. c:

My question:
What do you think is my worst shot, and why?

Nov 30 12 08:37 pm Link

Model

Sarah_

Los Angeles, California, US

Let's see smile

Nov 30 12 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
Sure - have a look -  I've not really made it my goal to "stand out" in the sense I take you to mean, however.  Nonetheless,  critique away.

I suppose I mean stand out in several ways. Wow factor, quality of images, emotion that they portray, ability to lure me in and want to explore deeper into the work of said individual. Sometimes the most simple image stands out to me- while the most loud in your face images slip by me with a sigh of boredom.

I knew without even clicking on your link that I would enjoy what I was going to see. It was no suprise to find your fantastic work within your portfolio.

YOur lighting skills, posing, composition, ability to express and bring out the personality of your models is wonderful. Truely impressive portfolio.

If I popped open your portfolio and only this image existed: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30630342 I would still go with fantastic.

Nov 30 12 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Deirdre Holmes wrote:
don't have any questions but I would love your opinion smile

Ha ha, no one has asked me a question! And really, I would have put effort into answering it, and not been all half assed about it!

I LOVE the top half of your port! I less love the bottom half, but prob only because I love the first half so much. (there are some really strong images on the bottom half) I love the tone of your images- your lighting, your post work. It all brings a great feel and emotion to your work. I was excited to open your portfolio based on your avatar, however was happy to see it was not your "best" image.

Hmmm.. to pick a fav: Kinda have to go with this one! https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20763703

Nov 30 12 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I suppose I mean stand out in several ways. Wow factor, quality of images, emotion that they portray, ability to lure me in and want to explore deeper into the work of said individual. Sometimes the most simple image stands out to me- while the most loud in your face images slip by me with a sigh of boredom.

I knew without even clicking on your link that I would enjoy what I was going to see. It was no suprise to find your fantastic work within your portfolio.

YOur lighting skills, posing, composition, ability to express and bring out the personality of your models is wonderful. Truely impressive portfolio.

If I popped open your portfolio and only this image existed: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30630342 I would still go with fantastic.

Well - thank you very much -  I'm honored - and thank you for the list....

I owe a great debt to the wonderful models and production teams I work with but I will take some share of the credit smile 

Cheers

Nov 30 12 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Alicia Hansen Photo wrote:
I'd love your thoughts if you're still going. c:

My question:
What do you think is my worst shot, and why?

Ahh! A question!

I think this image is kinda fantastic: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30551240

But feel your portfolio needs just a little bit of full refinement before it goes to all out fantastic for me. I like your lighting, and your post work skills are great. But one thing stands out for me that makes it hard for me to go with fantastic- and that is placement of models' hands in some of your images- including your well styled avatar. Personally, I am affraid of hands, as in I keep them away from faces 90% of the time. So to pick your worst shot I would say the various "hands" shots in your port. Though that could just be personal preference.

Minus the hands thing I would say this image feels the most out of place to me in your portfolio- and does not add anything for me : https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20181235

Nov 30 12 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Waters Photography

Bainbridge Island, Washington, US

Hmmm?

Nov 30 12 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

E_R_E_K_A wrote:
Please....tell me something honest. hienvy

Oops! accidently skipped ahead on that last one...

So, the variety of your portfolio is fabtastic! Your posing and expression are wonderful. But by "tell me something honest" I am taking that as some constructive feedback? hmmmm

This image is a bit dissapointing... https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/23409025 tongue

Oh, and you really should have chosen that photographer from western MA to shoot this image, i mean really! https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29406364

So yeah- I have nothing critical to say. Magnificent port!

Nov 30 12 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Kess M wrote:
having a curious night bunny

Wow. Wow. Wow.

No offense to anyone before you tonight. But a lil secret: my favorite portfolio of the night. I mean, fantastic is kinda an understatement.

I mean there is not (despite what I said earlier tonight) an image in your port that I do not love. I am not even going to try and pick a fav that stands out..

Well done!

Nov 30 12 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Sarah_ wrote:
Let's see smile

Let's see...

I feel like I am on a roll here- with a bunch of fantastic portfolios, and your is keeping things moving along swimmingly!

That face! A face I would love to have in my portfolio! Your work is great, and this image stood out for me: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29966674 for the emotion, and depth...

Nov 30 12 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Allen Studio

Tacoma, Washington, US

What says you?

Nov 30 12 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Jeff Waters Photography wrote:
Hmmm?

Well, you may, or maybe you may not, recall that I am a "fan" of your work and have expressed that before. I definitely dig your style and the aesthetic of your work. Your list of models leaves me quite possibly more jealous than any other photographer on MM tongue

But seriously- your work is fantastic and I enjoy going back and looking at your new (and old) work from time to time.

I believe I must refrain from choosing a stand out image from you- as there are many I adore...

Nov 30 12 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

H5D PHOTOGRAPHER

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Do I stand out or just blend into the background?

What would consider to be my weaknesses?

smile

Nov 30 12 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Craig Allen Studio wrote:
What says you?

What says me, is you might be my last victim of the night !

What also says me, is that the quality images keep coming! I really like your styling, and lighting- as well as your variety. I will give you fantastic!

Nov 30 12 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

H3D PHOTOGRAPHER wrote:

smile

I will come back to you tomorrow- my eyes are getting tired, so do not want to look into more portfolios with a biased tired eye! But check back, and I will answer your question...

Nov 30 12 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

This User Is Not Here

Durango, Colorado, US

Ahh! A question!

I think this image is kinda fantastic: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30551240

But feel your portfolio needs just a little bit of full refinement before it goes to all out fantastic for me. I like your lighting, and your post work skills are great. But one thing stands out for me that makes it hard for me to go with fantastic- and that is placement of models' hands in some of your images- including your well styled avatar. Personally, I am affraid of hands, as in I keep them away from faces 90% of the time. So to pick your worst shot I would say the various "hands" shots in your port. Though that could just be personal preference.

Minus the hands thing I would say this image feels the most out of place to me in your portfolio- and does not add anything for me : https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20181235

Will definitely keep that in mind! Thank you! c:

Nov 30 12 09:35 pm Link

Model

Alexia Foxx

Tyler, Texas, US

Check mine out! I could really use some genuine feedback and critiques!

Nov 30 12 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Alexia Foxx wrote:

I will! Check back tomorrow, can do no more tonight!

Nov 30 12 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Waters Photography

Bainbridge Island, Washington, US

Well, you may, or maybe you may not, recall that I am a "fan" of your work and have expressed that before. I definitely dig your style and the aesthetic of your work. Your list of models leaves me quite possibly more jealous than any other photographer on MM tongue

But seriously- your work is fantastic and I enjoy going back and looking at your new (and old) work from time to time.

I believe I must refrain from choosing a stand out image from you- as there are many I adore...

Well I initially didn't remember your name but after checking out your port I remembered. Really liking your new stuff by the way. And thanks bud! I appreciate it.

Nov 30 12 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

FacadePhoto

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

What about my work?

Nov 30 12 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Nicole Danielle NDP

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Id love to know..

Nov 30 12 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am going to go with meh. You have good technical skills, but I am not feeling those skills bringing out any magic and emotion as much as I think you could.

While this image is my favorite as I feel it does allow me to connect to the model more so than any other of your images https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28485587

It feel feel this image is the one that points toward the direction you may go with your work https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/26327114

Thank you..

Nov 30 12 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Go ahead!

Dec 01 12 12:02 am Link

Model

Maria Susanti

Banyuwangi, Jawa Timur, Indonesia

tell me pls?

Dec 01 12 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Paul Tirado Photography

New York, New York, US

Take a look and let me know. Thank you for your time and opinion.

Dec 01 12 12:20 am Link

Model

_eMMe_

Florence, Toscana, Italy

I'm a big girl. Let's go!
And give me suggestion about some new shots I can do!

Dec 01 12 03:46 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

H3D PHOTOGRAPHER wrote:

smile

I will put you as slipping into fantastic. YOur ort does not stand out to me like wow, but you have some clear skills in lighting, editing, etc. I like the variety, and you are one of those somewhat rare folks on here that work with both men and women.

Weakness. I would go with inconsistant quality of your more glamour/nude work. You have a couple strong images in your "sex sells" folder, but not all of them are up to the quality of your other images. I feel that is your weakest folder- and if I had to rate your work based on the contents of that one alone I would have gone with meh.

This image is my favorite in that folder: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29841518

Bring your nude/glamour work up to the quality of your fashion work and you will be a better all around photographer in my book.

Dec 01 12 05:00 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Alexia Foxx wrote:

As promised...

I am going to go split personality here and say that for your looks, I think you have a fantastic look that is one I would totally work with given the chance. But for your current portfolio I would probably go with meh. It is good, and you have some fun creative work, but I think there is something about you that no one is fully capturing yet.

I like your range of expression, and I am not going to say the old, you need to work with better photographers... But you have the look that could be fantastic with good stylists and MUA's

While I cannot say if this image is your best image- it does stand out as one I like from your portfolio: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30379258

I would check back to see your work grow!

Dec 01 12 05:06 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

FacadePhoto wrote:
What about my work?

I am going to say meh. A few images make me want to say blah. I do however see hints of skill creeping out around your port, but that feel inconsistant in the quality of all of your images. You have some great models in there, but I do not know if you fully utilized their skills.

But the real question, is are you enjoying your work, and are you satisfied with it? That I suppose is the most important aspect of it. I mean some of my issue with your work may be personal taste issues in that I feel some of your concepts make me cringe. But I do think that there are inconsistancies that are not personal taste: lighting inconsistancies and compositions that are unflatterieng to the models.

The old- "trim down your port and show your best work" I feel is in play here.

If I have to pick one image... I suppose this one 18+ https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28903620 as it pulls some emotion

Dec 01 12 05:17 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Nicole Danielle NDP wrote:
Id love to know..

And I would love to tell!

This is a tough one! I am going to go with meh, as I feel there are inconsistancies in your post work that I find distracting, and pulling me away from those concepts that are unique and express your vision as a photographer. I do like how you are not affraid to try different angles, concepts, and take risks. That makes me feel you are so close to the next step and being fantastic, but not sure you are there yet.

This image stands out for me in expressing where I feel your work could go as far as unique vision and dynamic energy: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24737175

Dec 01 12 05:24 am Link