Forums > Model Colloquy > Nude models: A question for you..

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Jane Kavanaugh wrote:
I've been considering doing nudes for some time, though I'd only do artistic nudes if any. As I'm trying to decide, I thought it would be a great idea to ask some of you: How do you deal with family/friends? How did you make your decision? What made you want to shoot nudes vs. not? How does it make you feel about yourself? Etc. I want to hear all about your decision and experience as a nude model.

Thank you! :]

Just a thought, if there is a photographer you've worked with before and  trust contact them and offer a half 'useful' (for them )shoot that you're comfortable with, in exchange for a half nude shoot not to be published. See how it goes and decide from there.

Jan 27 13 06:15 pm Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

NicoleNudes wrote:

Luckily my family was fine with it. They said it was my body and my life so I could do whatever I want. They fully support me and they think my art nudes are beautiful. smile

I was also lucky enough to find a guy who is ok with it. He supports me as well. I wouldn't have started dating him if he wasn't ok with it.

I've been modeling since 2008, and I only started doing nudes last December. I had a number of things keeping me from doing them - but I started to want to try them, like you. Last December was when all the things that were stopping me when away. I was shooting with a friend and we had talked before about possibility shooting nudes. I decided to go for it. He promised that if I didn't like the images he would delete them. Needless to say I liked them. big_smile

Honestly, shooting nudes has helped me accept my body more and be ok with it. Before I started shooting nudes I hated my body. Like, really hated it. I thought I was too fat and I hated the fact that I wasn't super skinny and toned like a lot of other models. It made me feel self conscious at shoots.
After seeing my body nude, and seeing how awesome it looked it made me accept it. I can see now that I may not be that skinny toned model - but I'm still beautiful. I love my curves now.

I made a fb status last month that basically sums up how I feel about going into nude work.

"Just spent the past 1 1/2 looking at my old modeling pictures, the ones before I started doing nudes and I don't know how the explain it. I look back at these old photos compared to my nude stuff I've done in the past year and they all feel like they're missing something. Like there was some kind of special fire that lite up in me when I started doing nude work - I can noticeably see something different in me that wasn't there before. It's weird. I feel like I've become an entirely different person than I was just a year ago. The only regret that I might have is not starting sooner. So, I guess I have Stephen R. Markman to thank for giving me that little nudge I needed to go into creating awesomeness. I really hope to be doing it for a couple more years to come. smile"

Also wanted to add that if you do decide to shoot nudes your first shoot should be with someone who you a) trust and b) is actually a good photographer.

If I did my first nudes with a terrible photographer I probably wouldn't have kept doing them.

That's so lovely! smile You definitely are lucky to have supportive family members, and I'm glad your experience has been such a positive one. I'm hoping to have a similar experience. Modeling has also helped me in similar ways so far, and not because people give me compliments but because you see yourself in a way you don't normally look at yourself: through new eyes. Your experience is inspiring! Thanks for sharing smile

Jan 27 13 06:26 pm Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

Natural Means wrote:

Just a thought, if there is a photographer you've worked with before and  trust contact them and offer a half 'useful' (for them )shoot that you're comfortable with, in exchange for a half nude shoot not to be published. See how it goes and decide from there.

Very good advice. I'm thinking of doing just that. Thank you! smile

Jan 27 13 06:26 pm Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jane Kavanaugh wrote:

That's so lovely! smile You definitely are lucky to have supportive family members, and I'm glad your experience has been such a positive one. I'm hoping to have a similar experience. Modeling has also helped me in similar ways so far, and not because people give me compliments but because you see yourself in a way you don't normally look at yourself: through new eyes. Your experience is inspiring! Thanks for sharing smile

Yes, I know I'm very very lucky because some people aren't as lucky to have supportive family/friends/S.O's

If you want to have a similar experience then start out only shooting nudes with the best of the best. My best decision was being very picky about who I shot with. I did 14 shoots before I accepted my first paid gig. That way I already had a very strong portfolio so it didn't matter as much if I had a couple so-so images of myself floating around.

Even now - if I look at someone's work and think to myself 'good God, that's just terrible' I won't shoot with them - even if they are offering to pay. I just don't want bad nude pictures chilling around on the internet.

Jan 27 13 06:34 pm Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

NicoleNudes wrote:

Yes, I know I'm very very lucky because some people aren't as lucky to have supportive family/friends/S.O's

If you want to have a similar experience then start out only shooting nudes with the best of the best. My best decision was being very picky about who I shot with. I did 14 shoots before I accepted my first paid gig. That way I already had a very strong portfolio so it didn't matter as much if I had a couple so-so images of myself floating around.

Even now - if I look at someone's work and think to myself 'good God, that's just terrible' I won't shoot with them - even if they are offering to pay. I just don't want bad nude pictures chilling around on the internet.

Fabulous points. Thanks again! smile And you're right, your shots are fantastic! wink

Jan 27 13 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

I am 52, a photographer, and have 2 daughters.

If either of them did fine art nudes, or glamour nudes I would have no issue with that.

If they went out and just for money shot disgusting GWC spreads and the likes for money, I would probably have an issue with that, but in the end, it is their body, I would only offer guidance and drop it if they continued. This is something to me way too overblown.

It seems fine to let your children play games where they can run around shooting people, but as soon as a nipple shows up, it's like the apocalypse.

I worry more about my relationship with them, than I do with what they do, as long as I do not think harm is coming to them.

I'm not going to live forever, and neither are your parents.

Jan 27 13 06:45 pm Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jane Kavanaugh wrote:
Fabulous points. Thanks again! smile And you're right, your shots are fantastic! wink

Thank you! big_smile

If you have anymore questions about anything feel free to PM me, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jan 27 13 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The most important decision to make is whether or not it is worth it to YOU? Is shooting nudes something you REALLY want to do? Does it mean enough to you to potentially end certain relationships? To a certain extent photographers face the same dilemma when they start shooting nudes. I made the decision that I was passionate enough about my artistic vision to ignore any negative response from friends or family. I didn’t ask anyone. I made the decision on my own. So far everyone has accepted it... if they don’t, I won’t care. If you aren’t prepared to take a similar stand, it’s probably not something you should do.

Jan 27 13 07:12 pm Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

Imageography wrote:

If either of them did fine art nudes, or glamour nudes I would have no issue with that.

If they went out and just for money shot disgusting GWC spreads and the likes for money, I would probably have an issue with that, but in the end, it is their body, I would only offer guidance and drop it if they continued. This is something to me way too overblown.

It seems fine to let your children play games where they can run around shooting people, but as soon as a nipple shows up, it's like the apocalypse.

I worry more about my relationship with them, than I do with what they do, as long as I do not think harm is coming to them.

Sounds like you're got parenting down, light years ahead of others! :]
Thanks!

Jan 27 13 07:44 pm Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

NicoleNudes wrote:

Thank you! big_smile

If you have anymore questions about anything feel free to PM me, I'll do my best to answer them.

Appreciate it! smile

Jan 27 13 07:44 pm Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:
The most important decision to make is whether or not it is worth it to YOU? Is shooting nudes something you REALLY want to do? Does it mean enough to you to potentially end certain relationships? To a certain extent photographers face the same dilemma when they start shooting nudes. I made the decision that I was passionate enough about my artistic vision to ignore any negative response from friends or family. I didn’t ask anyone. I made the decision on my own. So far everyone has accepted it... if they don’t, I won’t care. If you aren’t prepared to take a similar stand, it’s probably not something you should do.

I'm the black sheep in the family; taking a stand is not something I'm unfamiliar with wink
All great advice, thanks!

Jan 27 13 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Faces2Die4 Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Men have been drawing, painting and sculpting beautiful nude women for literally thousands of years. If tastefully and artistically executed, digital fine art nude photography is a continuation of that tradition.

You should follow your creative instincts.

Jan 27 13 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Jane Kavanaugh wrote:
I am just now opening up to the idea, yes smile

You're doing the right thing  by asking for others views and experiences.

The bottom line is doing what makes YOU happy. Posing nude is an artform and a form of self expression and creativity...That is something your family needs to hear from you personally before you embark on this decision. It sucks that they are very protective of you making such decisions but most families are. I have a feeling that they trust your adult judgment and will support you no matter what. I found it's best to tell them before they are surprised later, get their blessing in other words.
If this is actually a building interest or passion then there should be nothing that can stop you, but be safe and be smart.

Jan 27 13 10:29 pm Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

Faces2Die4 Photography wrote:
Men have been drawing, painting and sculpting beautiful nude women for literally thousands of years. If tastefully and artistically executed, digital fine art nude photography is a continuation of that tradition.

You should follow your creative instincts.

Yes. That's how I see it as well. Unfortunately, because of the large body of work that nude art has become, not all of it is art. And that which is, is sometimes mistaken for otherwise. I'd like to keep it within what I think is beautiful: the artistic aspect of nudity. I'm afraid that some photographers will think this is an open card to shoot other types of nudes.

Jan 28 13 04:53 am Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

Art Silva Photography wrote:

You're doing the right thing  by asking for others views and experiences.

The bottom line is doing what makes YOU happy. Posing nude is an artform and a form of self expression and creativity...That is something your family needs to hear from you personally before you embark on this decision. It sucks that they are very protective of you making such decisions but most families are. I have a feeling that they trust your adult judgment and will support you no matter what. I found it's best to tell them before they are surprised later, get their blessing in other words.
If this is actually a building interest or passion then there should be nothing that can stop you, but be safe and be smart.

Thank you! smile Appreciate it.

Jan 28 13 04:56 am Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Jane Kavanaugh wrote:

What made you want to, or how did you get into it? Definitely a good outlook on the situation, regarding the input of others. Thanks! smile

Not really sure What motivated me to do it.. I like being naked. Some of the best images ive ever seen involve nudity, just felt right. How I got into it.. I just took the clothes off during the shoot, I was comfortable, the clothes were not working well anyway and I knew he shot nudes as well. I liked it and the rest is history.

Jan 28 13 10:33 am Link

Model

Raven-Lily

Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom

my very first photohoot was nude, my inspiration was 'if i have to preach to my son about loving your body then i have to practise it too'

My family and some friends have been very supportive, those who werent have no space in my life.

i love shooting nude, yes you are getting in front of a stranger but they will only shoot you nude if they think you will do a fab job.

I hated my body before i went nude, i now love it, and even had male models tell me they want to work with me because i look good and i look happy with what i have, obviously that is a defining thing for them.

So if you already have doubts then go for it, if you dont like them, just delete them, and stick to what you know.

Jan 28 13 10:49 am Link

Model

Logan Vandekieft

Charlottesville, Virginia, US

How do you deal with family/friends?
I haven't told my family yet. They're incredibly conservative and I'm honestly not sure how they'll react. That will probably come up sooner than later, though.
My friends have mostly all seen me in some state of dishabille.

How did you make your decision?
I love the physical form. I think it's beautiful. It took me being attracted to imperfect women to realize that even though I'm imperfect, I can still be beautiful. If I'm comfortable with myself, why not make art with my body?

What made you want to shoot nudes vs. not?
See above + I'm fascinated with things that are usually kept hidden. I think the whole idea of "cover your body because you're to tempting to men" is a bit insulting to the menfolk...I've known plenty of men who can carry on the most intelligent/kind/funny conversations while I'm naked. They don't jump my bones like animals. So why does the body NEED to be covered, besides for warmth? I certainly can't say =P

How does it make you feel about yourself?
It's helped me accept my body. Plus I'm a showoff. Plus I just don't care. It's a sack of mammary glands. It's not going to turn into a slavering monster upon viewing.

I want to hear all about your decision and experience as a nude model.
Be careful. If you get bad vibes, leave. LEARN SELF-DEFENSE!!! Just because we're seen as the weaker and more delicate sex doesn't mean we have to cater to that.
I love it! I can help create remarkably intimate works of art and I get to use my body in ways that surprise, delight, and inspire. Jolly good time all around!

Bethany

Jan 28 13 11:17 am Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

Jordan Bunniie wrote:

Not really sure What motivated me to do it.. I like being naked. Some of the best images ive ever seen involve nudity, just felt right. How I got into it.. I just took the clothes off during the shoot, I was comfortable, the clothes were not working well anyway and I knew he shot nudes as well. I liked it and the rest is history.

Awesome. Thanks a bunch! smile

Jan 28 13 11:41 am Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

Raven-Lily wrote:
my very first photohoot was nude, my inspiration was 'if i have to preach to my son about loving your body then i have to practise it too'

My family and some friends have been very supportive, those who werent have no space in my life.

i love shooting nude, yes you are getting in front of a stranger but they will only shoot you nude if they think you will do a fab job.

I hated my body before i went nude, i now love it, and even had male models tell me they want to work with me because i look good and i look happy with what i have, obviously that is a defining thing for them.

So if you already have doubts then go for it, if you dont like them, just delete them, and stick to what you know.

Great advice and lovely words to live by. Thanks for sharing! smile

Jan 28 13 11:42 am Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

Bethany McConaughy wrote:
I haven't told my family yet. They're incredibly conservative and I'm honestly not sure how they'll react. That will probably come up sooner than later, though.
My friends have mostly all seen me in some state of dishabille.

How did you make your decision?
I love the physical form. I think it's beautiful. It took me being attracted to imperfect women to realize that even though I'm imperfect, I can still be beautiful. If I'm comfortable with myself, why not make art with my body?

What made you want to shoot nudes vs. not?
See above + I'm fascinated with things that are usually kept hidden. I think the whole idea of "cover your body because you're to tempting to men" is a bit insulting to the menfolk...I've known plenty of men who can carry on the most intelligent/kind/funny conversations while I'm naked. They don't jump my bones like animals. So why does the body NEED to be covered, besides for warmth? I certainly can't say =P

It's helped me accept my body. Plus I'm a showoff. Plus I just don't care. It's a sack of mammary glands. It's not going to turn into a slavering monster upon viewing.

I want to hear all about your decision and experience as a nude model.
Be careful. If you get bad vibes, leave. LEARN SELF-DEFENSE!!! Just because we're seen as the weaker and more delicate sex doesn't mean we have to cater to that.
I love it! I can help create remarkably intimate works of art and I get to use my body in ways that surprise, delight, and inspire. Jolly good time all around!

Bethany

Your work is incredibly beautiful! I think like you as well, I've found women and the female form attractive for as long as I can remember. Seeing images like yours (which are incredibly beautiful, btw) make me want to step out in front of the camera and be free. Great advice, and thanks for taking the time to share your experience!

Jan 28 13 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Caveman Creations

Addison, Texas, US

Imageography wrote:

This.
I have three daughters, and feel the same way. I would want them to make educated decisions, but in the end, it's their body, their life. My oldest is 12, and she has shown some interest in modeling. I've been bad though. I told her she's too short, and has bad genes! "Your options would be severely limited." big_smile

Jan 28 13 12:20 pm Link

Model

Lorayne York

Topeka, Kansas, US

Sky Donohue wrote:

Many models use a stage name, have you considered that? You would still need to be prepared for the possibility of people in your life finding out though, but it's not likely.

Sky is correct.

For me, my mom isn't supportive.. but she's also not a part of my life. my brother knows and just doesnt want to see his sister naked but doesnt care. only my best friends know i model, and out of them only a few know i model nude. it's not because i'm ashamed.. i just dont want people to act differently around me because they saw my nipples or something immature like that.
my cousins are all supportive. 

My husband was supportive. if it comes down to a SO not being supportive over something you like.. then you have to ask yourself is the person worth giving up your joy? or would someone who loves you be supportive?

it hasnt affected my career in medicine, i dont forsee it ever affecting it.
hell,most people dont think i could ever model cause i normally wear jeans or sweats and hoodies and rarely do my hair.

i'm not saying model nude because nothing will change for you.. it just depends on how much you are willing to accept the change.

Jan 28 13 12:21 pm Link

Model

Laura BrokenDoll

Modena, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

Jane Kavanaugh wrote:

I started modeling at 18 and I've spent something like two years trying to hide it from my family. It was exhausting and in the end I decided to let my parents know... but since I was too afraid of their reaction, I didn't tell 'em straight in their face but I made 'em find it out.
Obviously, discovering their daughter used to meet strangers in studios or hotels and get naked in front of their cameras didn't make a great impression on my parents: they were primarily worried about my safety, and then about the kind of pictures and their destinations.
For some times I just kept shooting avoiding to talk about it and they just hold back from asking me anything about it.
But even if I live under their roof, they have never asked me to quit - lately my mom has started to get more interested and actually found out the majority of my pics, some interviews and articles featured me. She has been impressed in a positive way and everything has started going in a more "normal" way.
Too bad now that I have a full time job I have from little to no time for shooting... but when I do it, I can share it with my family too.

Friends - they have always been supportive. I think some of them criticized me behind my back at the beginning, but you know... some people will always judge you, so I decided not to care about that minority! smile

Jane Kavanaugh wrote:
How did you make your decision? What made you want to shoot nudes vs. not?

It just happened that my first shoot was topless - a pretty fashion one, to be honest. I've always been a little of an exhibitionist so I didn't find it incredibly difficult, actually I was excited and it was fun!
I liked how my boobies looked on camera, so I decided to never put my bra on again! No, seriously: I discovered that my body looked way better than what I was expecting, and this helped me solving some issues I used to had.
Modeling nude was therapeutic smile

Jane Kavanaugh wrote:

I definitely feel empowered. A lot.

Jan 28 13 12:37 pm Link

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Palm Beach, Florida, US

I love nude modeling! I think it gives such a level of confidence that clothe modeling just can't. If you decide to shoot nude you must take into account that there will be nude images of you. Family and friends may at some point see them. I am very proud of my work so if my family and friends see my images I'm not worried.

I have had great experiences with amazing photographers and then odd experiences with less than professional photographers. But this can happen at clothe shoots. Being nude had nothing to do with the experiences.

Everyone will have an opinion but in the end it's only your's that matters!

Jan 28 13 12:38 pm Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

Lynn Elizabeth wrote:
I love nude modeling! I think it gives such a level of confidence that clothe modeling just can't. If you decide to shoot nude you must take into account that there will be nude images of you. Family and friends may at some point see them. I am very proud of my work so if my family and friends see my images I'm not worried.

I have had great experiences with amazing photographers and then odd experiences with less than professional photographers. But this can happen at clothe shoots. Being nude had nothing to do with the experiences.

Everyone will have an opinion but in the end it's only your's that matters!

You're absolutely right. Thanks a lot!

Jan 28 13 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

WhizKidPhoto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Nude art has been around for a very very long time. It is truly sad that, for some reason (which I refer to as the wussification of our country) some people view it negatively. We are all humans, we were born nude and it's true human form represented artistically. I personally don't see anything "wrong" with it. My suggestion, as a few others have said, is to shoot with a photographer you know and trust. I also suggest, and this might help you a little bit, but ease in to the shoot. Start a lingerie shoot, relax, have fun as you normally would, pull some bra straps down over the shoulder, unclasp the bra, straps off the arms while holding it against your chest still etc etc etc and go from there. When the shoot is done see if you and the photographer can view the images together on a computer while they are processing them. Some photographers don't like people to be present while they are doing post processing but some don't mind. This way you can both talk about how it went while you are looking through the images. You can point out things that might make you uncomfortable about the finished product and the photographer can either discard the image or adjust it to your liking. Big part of the whole thing is to honestly relax and have fun. This leads to being comfortable which will show in the final images smile Great pictures by the way. Love the current avatar.

Jan 28 13 01:45 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Jane Kavanaugh wrote:
I've been considering doing nudes for some time, though I'd only do artistic nudes if any. As I'm trying to decide, I thought it would be a great idea to ask some of you: How do you deal with family/friends? How did you make your decision? What made you want to shoot nudes vs. not? How does it make you feel about yourself? Etc. I want to hear all about your decision and experience as a nude model.

Thank you! :]

I don't talk to my family about what kind of work I do.

I talk openly with my friends about everything that I am, and if they are not supportive then I consider whether or not they are my friends.

Jan 28 13 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

WhizKidPhoto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

^^ I was also going to say that as well. You have to like your friends and family for who they are and what they've done. If friends and family don't then that is really sad.

Jan 28 13 02:38 pm Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

WhizKidPhoto wrote:
Nude art has been around for a very very long time. It is truly sad that, for some reason (which I refer to as the wussification of our country) some people view it negatively. We are all humans, we were born nude and it's true human form represented artistically. I personally don't see anything "wrong" with it. My suggestion, as a few others have said, is to shoot with a photographer you know and trust. I also suggest, and this might help you a little bit, but ease in to the shoot. Start a lingerie shoot, relax, have fun as you normally would, pull some bra straps down over the shoulder, unclasp the bra, straps off the arms while holding it against your chest still etc etc etc and go from there. When the shoot is done see if you and the photographer can view the images together on a computer while they are processing them. Some photographers don't like people to be present while they are doing post processing but some don't mind. This way you can both talk about how it went while you are looking through the images. You can point out things that might make you uncomfortable about the finished product and the photographer can either discard the image or adjust it to your liking. Big part of the whole thing is to honestly relax and have fun. This leads to being comfortable which will show in the final images smile Great pictures by the way. Love the current avatar.

That's what I'm thinking of doing. I'm not uncomfortable shooting nudes; the problem arises when other people and their opinions start butting in, and your work starts being misjudged and photographers start thinking that you're ready to shoot porn. Lol. I'm going to do just that. I'm trying to find a good photographer that I can test with. Thanks for the advice and thanks so much for the compliment! smile

Jan 28 13 04:18 pm Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

I don't talk to my family about what kind of work I do.

I talk openly with my friends about everything that I am, and if they are not supportive then I consider whether or not they are my friends.

All good points. Thanks for sharing! smile

Jan 28 13 04:18 pm Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

WhizKidPhoto wrote:
^^ I was also going to say that as well. You have to like your friends and family for who they are and what they've done. If friends and family don't then that is really sad.

I do have some old fashioned family members, and it does suck when their judgments get in the way. However I agree with you fully. Thanks! smile

Jan 28 13 04:19 pm Link

Model

ElisAbEtH

Charleston, West Virginia, US

Well to be honest- it's a hard decision if no one supports you.
My father is a preacher and my mother and father both hate it- hate that I model even if I never did nudes. They find it a sin. I just quit telling them anything really when it comes to that.

Jan 28 13 04:23 pm Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

ElisAbEtH wrote:
Well to be honest- it's a hard decision if no one supports you.
My father is a preacher and my mother and father both hate it- hate that I model even if I never did nudes. They find it a sin. I just quit telling them anything really when it comes to that.

Thanks, I agree with you, that does make it difficult. My disagreements with my parents go much deeper than just this and just about into every aspect of my life, so this would be no different tongue I'm the black sheep of the family. I find that you're right on that, it's not really their business to know what I do with my body. Thanks! smile

Jan 28 13 05:14 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

NicoleNudes wrote:
[...
Honestly, shooting nudes has helped me accept my body more and be ok with it.

After seeing my body nude, and seeing how awesome it looked it made me accept it.

.... I look back at these old photos compared to my nude stuff I've done in the past year and they all feel like they're missing something. Like there was some kind of special fire that lite up in me when I started doing nude work -
Also wanted to add that if you do decide to shoot nudes your first shoot should be with someone who you a) trust and b) is actually a good photographer.

If I did my first nudes with a terrible photographer I probably wouldn't have kept doing them.

++ this smile!

Jan 28 13 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Joshua Remigius

Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Probably start with a second alias for the nude work and start working with photographers you trust. That way if you figure out that it's perhaps not for you it's a wee bit easier to get back to the way things were (increasingly difficult with the internet and everything, but certainly possible).

I'd say ignore every other opinion in your circle except yourself and see if you really want to do it. If you do, go for it - But have your fall backs.

Good luck, which ever way you decide to go!!

Feb 03 13 10:52 pm Link

Model

Persephone Sweetsin

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

When I 1st had the idea to do modeling (I was like about 16-18), I wanted to be a porn model lol. But when I finally got into modeling when I was 20, my idea of porn modeling shifted greatly, and I then decided that I just want to do artistic nudes, or artistic fetish (not porn).

For me, it's thrilling and exhilarating to be nude, and to show myself nude online or wherever, doesn't bother me. When I got to doing nudes, I knew the risks of anyone knowing me, to see my work, I understand that I can lose out on great opportunities or not being able to be an art teacher like I want to be, and it may sound crazy and stupid to some, but I'm ok with losing out. I'm really doing something that I LOVE greatly and with a passion, even if I don't get paid, I'm still gaining experience and exposure, and that's what I want.

On here, someone wanted to book me to do a regular fashion shoot, and once he looked at my port in detail, he basically said never mind because I do nudes...so naturally I was offended, but at the same time, I'm not going to stop doing what I love just to get work, regardless of the situation. I know I won't be a big time model, and that's fine, but I also don't want to be judged by anyone because of what I do, which everything I do, is for my daughter.

My mother knows I do nude work, and she doesn't like it, but that doesn't mean I have to stop, that doesn't mean I have to care about what she thinks of what I do, or anyone for that matter. She knows it, she still supports me even though she doesn't like it, and that's what matters to me.

If nudes is something you want to do, go for it, but you have to understand that a lot of ppl aren't going to like it, but then again, a lot of ppl will like it. There are ppl who still consider it to be porn, just because you're naked, and to me, that's bullshit, but everyone has their own personal definition of what is/isn't porn so it doesn't really matter. I don't see myself ever stopping, and I'm not sure once you start, if you have a time frame of when you'd stop, but if you do, your images will still be able to be seen by anyone and everyone even if you take them off of here, or your modeling site, someone will still find them. Which is why ppl say that if you want an important job or to work with kids, it's going to be hard if you're found out (even if you don't do it anymore)

Feb 11 13 06:25 pm Link