Forums > Photography Talk > Insurance for my camera equipment

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm not shooting professionally at the moment since I'm busy with my full time job but I just got a whole bunch on new goodies  that I want to insured because knowing my luck something will happen. Where can I get insurance that would cover lost/stolen or damage equipment. I want to make sure I'm covered.  I only need the insurance for my equipment.

Feb 02 13 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

PPA has something although i think it's market value not replacement cost. so kind of useless.

some homeowner's policy have some coverage.

we have coverage through CNA.

state farm cancelled us because we're sinners and shoot nudes.

hill&usher is another one. lots of ones geared toward photographers.

make sure to get replacement cost for a new item, not market value. the market value of a 5D MK I is low but the cost of a 5D MK III is high.

we have a $500 deductible on ours so when i dropped my 24-70 insurance didn't come into play since the repair was $420. insurance is for big losses, not little ones.

Feb 02 13 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

call your insurance agent, the one who handles your home owners or renters/tenants coverage. For very little money, you can probably get a rider if you list the equipment with serial numbers.

Feb 02 13 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

twoharts wrote:
PPA has something although i think it's market value not replacement cost. so kind of useless.

Actually, PPA members have $15,000 of replacement cost coverage.

Feb 02 13 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

State Farm has cancelled many for being sinners.

And 2harts is in Oregon "one of the 5 liberal states in the country"

Feb 02 13 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

that's good to know. back when i looked into it i think it was market value, not replacement. so maybe they've changed their mind on that.

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
Actually, PPA members have $15,000 of replacement cost coverage.

Feb 02 13 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

ForeverFotos

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

twoharts wrote:
------snip------
state farm cancelled us because we're sinners and shoot nudes.

You're joking, right? I have my equipment insured through them, they don't seem to care what kind of shots I take. Maybe you need a new agent?

Feb 02 13 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

Feb 02 13 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

not kidding. and we even filed an appeal at our agents suggestion (i said "we're nice to boudoir clients, we don't even rape them for the most part"). got a nice letter back saying that they didn't need sinners like us.

if they can find out from your web site that you shoot nudes then you could get cancelled immediately. at least that's what happened to us.

and state farm isn't the only insurance company with issues.

ForeverFotos wrote:
You're joking, right? I have my equipment insured through them, they don't seem to care what kind of shots I take. Maybe you need a new agent?

Feb 02 13 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Creative Concept Studio

Fort Worth, Texas, US

If you do not make ANY money from the gear a rider on your home owner's policy is the most cost effective way. $22k worth of gear on my home owners policy with an annual premium of $134 from USAA.

I now have $15k with TCP at an annual cost of $510(ish)

Feb 02 13 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Make sure you get 'replacement value' for your equipment and not just the amount you paid for it.

Makes all the difference in the world, when in a couple of years you lose something and it needs to be replaced, but the price has gone up a lot

KM

Feb 02 13 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

Hill & Usher Insurance
800-956-4220
http://www.hillusher.com/

Feb 02 13 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Hemming

Easton, Maryland, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Make sure you get 'replacement value' for your equipment and not just the amount you paid for it.

Makes all the difference in the world, when in a couple of years you lose something and it needs to be replaced, but the price has gone up a lot

KM

That $3000 lens you bought 5 years ago, its new vr replacement will cost you $6000 now.

Feb 02 13 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

I use CNA (out of Chicago).
They also used to be a client of mine.
But I went with them also because they have some of the lowest rates for a reputable Insurance company.

Feb 02 13 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

James Cessna

Nashville, Tennessee, US

ForeverFotos wrote:

Ok, I have State Farm also for all of my higher end equipment such as cameras and lens and what I shoot has never came up. Why would it matter? Shooting nudes is not illegal.

Feb 02 13 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

James_Cessna wrote:

Ok, I have State Farm also for all of my higher end equipment such as cameras and lens and what I shoot has never came up. Why would it matter? Shooting nudes is not illegal.

It's not a matter of legality . . . the powers that be at State Farm decided for 'moral reasons' not to do business with anybody that takes photos or videos of naked people.

My studio was insured by State Farm for 25 years with no problems. Then a few years ago they sent me an official notification that they were not interested in renewing my policy because of their new position regarding nudity.

Now I'm with Farmers Ins. and very happy with their service and prices.

KM

Feb 02 13 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Arnold Photography

cy be rea n wrote:
www.tcpinsurance.com

+1

Feb 02 13 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Image Works Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

When I bought my D700 thats when I decided to put insurance on it along with all my pro lenses. I think it was under $70 a year. Not bad for peace of mind. I chose state farm.

Feb 02 13 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

A-M-P wrote:
I'm not shooting professionally at the moment since I'm busy with my full time job but I just got a whole bunch on new goodies  that I want to insured because knowing my luck something will happen. Where can I get insurance that would cover lost/stolen or damage equipment. I want to make sure I'm covered.  I only need the insurance for my equipment.

I'm currently using Marsh (who used to do PPA's), and they offer insuring only equipment, so you would not need to pay for liability.

PM me if you need contact info, I have to go look it up and will likely forget to come back here.

For those mentioning State Farm, before I ever shot nudes, I asked them about adding coverage for gear and they said that if I got paid for just one photo, the claims person could deny the claim all together.

IMHO, best to go with a company that specializes in policies for photographers, otherwise you're running a greater risk, and the whole idea of insurance is to minimize/reduce risk.

Feb 02 13 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

If you are doing NO professional work at all, like nothing then you can get a camera floater policy to go with your homeowners or renters policy and they are very cheap, much less than any pro policy, just check to see what there definitions are and make sure that it is for replacement value. Call your insurance agent/company.

Feb 02 13 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

fullmetalphotographer wrote:
Hill & Usher Insurance
800-956-4220
http://www.hillusher.com/

This is who I use.  The policy is through The Hartford and in addition to covering equipment, there are provisions for errors and omissions, liability, etc.  I am a PPA member also, but I have decided to keep my Hartford policy over the PPA insurance.

Feb 03 13 06:55 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

A-M-P wrote:
I only need the insurance for my equipment.

As soon as you start earning from your photography it is likely that standard home policy cover will become void. If you are taking on any assignments it is becoming common in the UK for some places to require you to have £2m, £5m or even £10m public liability insurance - something that we caught from your side of the Atlantic.

Feb 03 13 07:40 am Link