Forums > Photography Talk > Beyonce's publicist wants unflattering photos down

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

TimothyH wrote:

Have you seen this? http://www.celebjihad.com/celeb-jihad/h … once1.html

As a photographer, if I'd taken it, this would have never seen the light of day. Regardless of whose fault it is, it's a terrible (i.e. shitty) photo.

Jesus, and they say Gaga has a dick!!?

Feb 07 13 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
I wonder if Kim Kardashian is viewing these images and saying, "Oh shit...I'm next! Mom! Please don't let them see what I really look like!"

I love you man!

P.S. It's not a gay thing...promise!

Feb 07 13 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Swank Photography wrote:

Ouch! Holy sheep shit batman! Yeah that would have NEVER EVER seen the light of day.

Too late, it's circled the planet and beyond at least 6,000,000,000,000 x 100 times!

Aw, what a shame!

Feb 07 13 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

whaze

Chicago, Illinois, US

oh poor poor Beyonce. 

Who cares?

Feb 07 13 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Broughton

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

i guarantee somebody, somewhere, is photoshopping huge penises into those pics right now. tongue

Feb 07 13 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

ForeverFotos

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Michael Broughton wrote:
i guarantee somebody, somewhere, is photoshopping huge penises into those pics right now. tongue

How did you know? I haven't even posted 'em yet! https://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-character-smileys-238.gif

Feb 07 13 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

It's amazing how many people are ok with and even celebrate someone doing something just for the pure meanness of the act.

Because make no mistake about it, the photographer had nothing but ill intentions.

Feb 07 13 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

37photog

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Lars R Peterson wrote:

Nah, I don't think it's a shitty photo. Actually, it's well done. In focus, well framed, nice bokeh... what part don't you like?? The part that looks like a 'roided up tranny taking a dump? OK, that's subjective... but the photo itself is great.

Haha, I agree. It's a decent photograph, it was just taken at an inopportune time (for Beyoncee)

Feb 07 13 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Michael Broughton wrote:

Since this thread has been in existence these photos have come  through my facebook feeds (both safe for work):

http://comedycentral.tumblr.com/post/42 … via-reddit

http://i.qkme.me/3svx2y.jpg

Feb 07 13 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

PR types want to control the Brand 100%

Photographers want unique images.

Everyone has shots of her looking stunning and hot. He has something unique.

Would I have posted them? No.

Feb 07 13 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

KA Style

Syracuse, New York, US

K E E L I N G wrote:
It's amazing how many people are ok with and even celebrate someone doing something just for the pure meanness of the act.

Because make no mistake about it, the photographer had nothing but ill intentions.

Agreed. It makes us all look bad..

Feb 07 13 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

KA Style wrote:

Agreed. It makes us all look bad..

Hardly.

Feb 07 13 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

KA Style

Syracuse, New York, US

MMDesign wrote:

Hardly.

Well it certainly doesnt show photographers in a good light.

Feb 07 13 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

nyk fury wrote:
looks to me like a shitty celebrity. but what do i know.

+1

Feb 07 13 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

KA Style wrote:

Well it certainly doesnt show photographers in a good light.

Agreed. I wouldn't want my name attached to those shots in a million years. The majority of the photographers at the Super Bowl are sports photographers who probably have little interest in protecting a celebrity's image. If they were celebrity photographers (not paparazzi) or concert photographers they wouldn't have posted those shots if they cared about their reputations.

Feb 07 13 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

TimothyH wrote:
Agreed. I wouldn't want my name attached to those shots in a million years. The majority of the photographers at the Super Bowl are sports photographers who probably have little interest in protecting a celebrity's image. If they were celebrity photographers (not paparazzi) or concert photographers they wouldn't have posted those shots if they cared about their reputations.

because no sports photographer has ever published a pic of a soccer player with his package falling out. or a pic of a players face right in an opponent's nuts. or...
this one http://img3.owned.com/media/images/7/2/ … le_540.jpg its almost NSFW 18+

Feb 07 13 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

because no sports photographer has ever published a pic of a soccer player with his package falling out. or a pic of a players face right in an opponent's nuts. or...

They are going to get a press pass for the next big game regardless of what they post. The same does not go true for someone who photographs celebs and works with publicists on a regular basis.

Feb 07 13 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

TimothyH wrote:

They are going to get a press pass for the next big game regardless of what they post. The same does not go true for someone who photographs celebs and works with publicists on a regular basis.

if these were the only series of pics circulating i would probably agree with you.  but, as others have mentioned, this is really what she looked like and pretty much everyone seems to have the same images.  some are even worse. I wonder why the publicist even bothered?

heres a still grabbed from CTV (a canuck network)
http://ca.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire … 020413.jpg
there are plenty worse if you google image it.

Feb 07 13 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

My thoughts in no coherent order:

1  Famous person does something deliberately on stage in front of a worldwide audience.  How is this not "news"?   Viewable by all without fear or favor.

2  Image is shot by accredited photographer at the event.  Nothing sneaky here.

3  The individual editors might show some discretion.  That's where the publicist is putting the pressure.  Not on the photographer.

4  The photographer is not working for the publicist.  The publicist has two choices:  go pound sand or buy all the image rights from Getty.

5  Is that Beyonce?  What the hell happened to her nose?  I thought that was Brittany Spears.  'Roided up tranny taking a dump, indeed.

6  I too have suppressed images of VIP's being indiscreet at parties, etc.  I guess I lack the killer paparazzi instinct.

7  Nobody looks good with stage makeup.  Have you ever seen a cheerleader up close?  Theater is meant for medium or long distance viewing.

Feb 07 13 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin Kanarek

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Reality can hurt wink

Feb 07 13 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

On reflection, I think everyone posted pics of her looking bad because she shot with Terry and not with them

Feb 07 13 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Matty272

Dunfermline, Scotland, United Kingdom

Publicist has done this photographer a financial favour. Notoriety of images has increased  with the requesr, so the value per licence increases and number of licences also increases.

Suppress images, no sales. Sell images, good money. Seems simple to me

Feb 08 13 03:31 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

There are unflattering photos of any real music performance, but usually they are never shown or released for publication.  The source of these photos is a staff photographer for Getty Images- a huge company that licenses photos from major events for publication by smaller magazines and more who can't afford their own photographer at an event.  They generally have a great reputation, but this is a serious mistake on their part.

The artist always controls media access to their performances, and I am certain that Beyonce will never allow them near her again.  Other artists may follow suit as well when they see how willing Getty was to make Beyonce look bad.  Getty and other sources of media photos may be required to get approval from an artist before releasing images now.  Its a serious breach of the usually mutually supportive relationship between the media and artists.

For concert photographers, this is the start of even more restrictions and limitations.  A bad move by Getty.

-Scott

Feb 08 13 04:42 am Link

Photographer

Matty272

Dunfermline, Scotland, United Kingdom

Loki Studio wrote:
There are unflattering photos of any real music performance, but usually they are never shown or released for publication.  The source of these photos is a staff photographer for Getty Images- a huge company that licenses photos from major events for publication by smaller magazines and more who can't afford their own photographer at an event.  They generally have a great reputation, but this is a serious mistake on their part.

The artist always controls media access to their performances, and I am certain that Beyonce will never allow them near her again.  Other artists may follow suit as well when they see how willing Getty was to make Beyonce look bad.  Getty and other sources of media photos may be required to get approval from an artist before releasing images now.  Its a serious breach of the usually mutually supportive relationship between the media and artists.

For concert photographers, this is the start of even more restrictions and limitations.  A bad move by Getty.

-Scott

Surely the real issue is that there is a market for images of celebs looking bad, not that Getty (or any other organisation) is willing to cater to that market? Look in the sunday supplements of the crappier newspapers for examples of this.

If the market exists, there will be people and organisations willing to sell to that market. Let's be honest, professional photographers do this to pay the bills (my opinion of a pro won't be agreed with by all or even many, of course). If an unflattering shot of a celeb will sell for £10k (I have no idea of the actual figures for unflattering pics), that's an awfully decent licence fee for said shot and can cover for some of the times when the celebs/PR-folks are being complete tossers and restricting everyone who goes near them with a camera. The residual royalties will also be a nice little income over the following years when crappy newspapers wish to print a "remember when certain-celeb looked like shit while performing" article.

I don't know about other posters here, but the income from images of this type could be the difference between paying the mortgage and not doing so. Without knowing the financial situation of the photographer who shot this, I can't comment on whether it is good to release this one or not as I could be way off the mark. All I can say is that I can consider the income from it and consider whether that would be good for my family finances or not.

Feb 08 13 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Matty272 wrote:

Surely the real issue is that there is a market for images of celebs looking bad, not that Getty (or any other organisation) is willing to cater to that market? Look in the sunday supplements of the crappier newspapers for examples of this.

If the market exists, there will be people and organisations willing to sell to that market. Let's be honest, professional photographers do this to pay the bills (my opinion of a pro won't be agreed with by all or even many, of course). If an unflattering shot of a celeb will sell for £10k (I have no idea of the actual figures for unflattering pics), that's an awfully decent licence fee for said shot and can cover for some of the times when the celebs/PR-folks are being complete tossers and restricting everyone who goes near them with a camera. The residual royalties will also be a nice little income over the following years when crappy newspapers wish to print a "remember when certain-celeb looked like shit while performing" article.

I don't know about other posters here, but the income from images of this type could be the difference between paying the mortgage and not doing so. Without knowing the financial situation of the photographer who shot this, I can't comment on whether it is good to release this one or not as I could be way off the mark. All I can say is that I can consider the income from it and consider whether that would be good for my family finances or not.

Yes there is a market for paparazzi and negative photos of course.  Legitimate media usually stays far away from paparazzi work and therefore gets special access.  The artists will rethink special access for media that has a history of degrading them.

Feb 08 13 11:17 am Link

Photographer

howard r

Los Angeles, California, US

ok for publicist to request nicely (not demand)

ok for the photographer/site to say no.

in the long run though, this probably ends up hurting photographers because next time they won't allow photographers access, or if they do, they'll make them sign a 10 page contract first.

which - lol - in the long run probably ends up hurting the artists because the publicists' over-control helps fuel the demand for paparazzi pictures where the publicists have virtually no control.

Feb 08 13 11:33 am Link

Photographer

David Parsons

Quincy, Massachusetts, US

TimothyH wrote:

My guess is that that photographer (if they know who took it) won't be getting any A-list sittings for a while.

Sure he will.  Whose pictures are we all talking about?

Feb 08 13 11:39 am Link

Photographer

-Ira

New York, New York, US

EMRAGERD

https://i.imgur.com/GABQloU.jpg

Feb 08 13 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

-Ira wrote:
EMRAGERD

https://i.imgur.com/GABQloU.jpg

Haha, fantastic!

Feb 08 13 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Vision Images by Jake

Stockton, California, US

TimothyH wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/20 … moved.html

Say what you will but, I sure wouldn't want to be known as the guy who took shitty photos of a sexy celebrity.

I totally agree with you, granted she produce the expressions. But really, how many people we as photographers have captured models/clients and celebrities with a unexpected mood or look that happened in a very brief second, in the flow of a series of motions during a shoot. I wouldn't do it to anyone, but for speaking only for myself, I think it all come down to ones on personal ethics! It wouldn't  be a label I would want to be known for... just my 2 cents.

Feb 08 13 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Vision Images by Jake

Stockton, California, US

K E E L I N G wrote:

You are so right, as if this was something that was really needed. Things is difficult enough as is. His intentions was definitely not to promote her. I am sure he had much better, then again was that his best?

Feb 08 13 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

ShutterSnaps

Leeds, England, United Kingdom

Swank Photography wrote:
Ouch! Holy sheep shit batman! Yeah that would have NEVER EVER seen the light of day.

I disagree ,I shoot gigs regularly and If I had taken that pic damn right it would be released! Its a seller; what magazines want as you will all see when this is used everywhere.

Feb 08 13 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

TimothyH wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/20 … moved.html

Say what you will but, I sure wouldn't want to be known as the guy who took shitty photos of a sexy celebrity.

He probably didn't take shitty pictures..He (or someone) just picked them.....  A LOT of what we do is not what we show but what we don't show..

Feb 08 13 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Amul La La

Wait am I missing the point/something, I thought she had this alto ego called (SASHA FIERCE), aren't these photo's showing her fierce side.

Her publicist must have realized, she's just jumped out of the pan in to the fire. Talk about making a meal of nothing, she's a bloody human being.

People are to court up on this perfectly groomed image of so called celebs n super stars:

There good looking all day everyday (they were born photoshop'D or they have the skin of babies their whole lifes)
they don't shit? (it doesn't stink)
they don't fart? (it doesn't stink)
they don't take drugs? (get high)
they don't have boggies? (crap in their noses)
they don't have cheesy feet? (feet stink)
they don't stink? (don't need to wash)
they don't suffer from acne?(never get spots)
they don't get sti's? (they are immune to them)
they don't get bad breath? (smells like peppermint always)
they don't cheat? ( they stay with the same person for more than 1years, also if there hitched)
they don't sleep around (because they are god most precious virgins, untouched by the sin of common man)

list is endless,

there human beings like us, can you say over it.

In my OPINION, there only as big as people make them, not very big IMO.

Photographer's though, there amazing wink

Feb 08 13 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Essence Photography

Detroit, Michigan, US

I mean why would you post these? I know if I were a performer or anybody doing a performance, I would not want these pics out either. I know she was performing, but geez put the best pics up and not this garbage. Just my two cents.

Feb 09 13 02:00 am Link

Photographer

Essence Photography

Detroit, Michigan, US

Jake Jacobs wrote:

I totally agree with you, granted she produce the expressions. But really, how many people we as photographers have captured models/clients and celebrities with a unexpected mood or look that happened in a very brief second, in the flow of a series of motions during a shoot. I wouldn't do it to anyone, but for speaking only for myself, I think it all come down to ones on personal ethics! It wouldn't  be a label I would want to be known for... just my 2 cents.

I could not agree with you more on that!!!!!!

Feb 09 13 02:02 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Those here who are saying these photos would never have seen the light of day if they'd been the photographer have obviously never covered an event of this sort for the press.

I worked for PA Press in London a few years back and they got all the images from a shoot like this as the photographer doesn't have time to edit properly on site - that's the Picture Editor's job. The images come in and are categorised then given a chainsaw edit in Photoshop (even if the photographer has already done post work himself - i've seen it happen) and those deemed 'newsworthy' are sent to the board for subscribers to pick if they want them.
'Newsworthy' not 'flattering', you note. These were not taken by someone paid by Beyonce to do PR shots of Beyonce - they were press images.

Now with wi-fi, those images were in all likelihood transmitted direct to the pic-desk as the photographer was shooting them, so even less chance he got to look at them first.

Images of this type are pure gold to a News Agency - a 'nice' photo of Beyonce will sell, up to a point - images like this will sell to 1,000's more customers for way more than standard rate.

Feb 09 13 02:44 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

With high FPS cameras this is bound to happen.

Feb 09 13 06:04 am Link

Photographer

ME_

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The publicist handled this all wrong. Once the pictures were out, there's absolutely nothing that can be done about them. Even if the original request to have them taken down had been honored, they would surely have been copied by that time.

The publicist should have turned a negative into a positive. They should have posted the shots themselves and put out a press release saying something to the effect of "Here's what a REAL singer / dancer looks like when she's putting on a show, LIVE,  in front of several hundred thousand people - no multiple takes, no makeup artist, stylist, hair designer to 'fix' her up between filming a few frames at a time - how many of you can sing and perform a choreographed routine simultaneously? You think she looks bad? We are thrilled and proud that this gorgeous and multi-talented performer has the guts to let everyone know how physically demanding her work is." And so on.

I don't understand why more people don't turn negatives into positives. It's just basic Marketing 101. Maybe her publicist needs to take it.

Feb 09 13 06:26 am Link

Photographer

SensualThemes

Swoyersville, Pennsylvania, US

Melodye Joy wrote:
If a model might weigh in...Beyonce was in movement and she was emoting during the show...those are not flattering but they are not bad either....and honestly, to see a celebrity cut up or act 'normal' for a moment just brings them down to reality and makes one realize that these 'stars' are no better than you or I.

But... that's just my view on the matter.

This.  And the publicist is an idiot.  These are action shots of a performer doing her job well. Not lip synching the national anthem

Feb 09 13 07:36 am Link