Forums > General Industry > How much should I pay to shoot a good model

Photographer

Eric Hodges Photography

Mill Valley, California, US

Ash.

Yes , thank you .... And it was a trade shoot too ,arranged by a designer friend of mine . And they even fed me lunch

That was natural light, yes? Nice!

Mar 21 13 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Are you interested in working with this model because you think it will make you a better photographer? Or do you think that having her in your portfolio will make you look like a better photographer?

That is where you should make the assessment of your investment.

Some photographers make the mistake of believing that having beautiful models and/or nude models in their portfolios is all they need to officially be labeled as "good."  Unfortunately, savvy (and paying) clients can see through the smoke and mirrors, and assess your work based on its technical merit and your discipline (aka legitimate business references), not the amount of T&A.

They will hire you based on what you can produce, not because you shot nudes or have worked with pretty faces.

Bottom line:

Are you paying to practice with worthy models, or are you paying because you think that having an attractive model in your portfolio will convince others that you are a better photographer?

Mar 21 13 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Garry k wrote:
do seriously think that the models you see in Vogue would test with the average photographer at $150 an hr ?

I think you can get Coco there for $25k a day

But even at $75hr ($150 for 2 min) you should be able to get an agency model without too much difficulty.

Mar 21 13 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Young Photography

San Jose, California, US

As many have said already, only you can determine if is too much or not.  In my opinion, it seems very high in general.  You can find many models on MM who will charge you basically $40-$60/ hr for what you are looking for.  Shop around unless you are totally hooked on this one.

Mar 21 13 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

often they have a two-hour minimum and a discounted half-day and full-day rate.

the most i've ever paid is $125/hour for a Playboy model.

i've never tried this myself but i've been told that with some models you can negotiate a significant discount depending on how booked they are.

i know local models who quote $75/hour and can do excellent work.

Mar 21 13 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Sharfman Photography

Purcell, Oklahoma, US

As I am still learning, I pay to work with quality talent and have been privileged to shoot with some of the best MM has to offer.  The women I pay bring the experience of usually hundreds of shoots including high-end workshops plus often multiple Playboy and/or Penthouse gigs.  I have never paid $150 hour and these are nude shoots.  Now I work for four hours and usually pay between $250-400 for the shoot.  I recently had a teenager who lists credits from 20 photographers on her port ask for $150 per hour and when I countered with what her experience warrants in my mind, she stopped answering emails.  Perhaps the model the OP mentioned has enough experience to justify that rate and I can not judge that.  Perhaps the OP really wants to shoot that particular model so have at it.  A lot of models quote a higher one hour rate because of the overhead in getting to and from a shoot.  I personally need more time than one hour to get what I want. "Bottom line" pay it if you really think you are going to get great images and learn for your next shoot.  Alternatively you might counter with what you will be comfortable paying or simply go to the next model on your list.

Mar 21 13 12:23 pm Link

Model

Alisyn Carliene

San Bernardino, California, US

What's she giving you for 150? I shoot 150 an hour hustler style but my rates range from 50-100 an hour. Which is standard.

Mar 21 13 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Hodges Photography

MnPhoto wrote:
Are you interested in working with this model because you think it will make you a better photographer? Or do you think that having her in your portfolio will make you look like a better photographer?

That is where you should make the assessment of your investment.

Some photographers make the mistake of believing that having beautiful models and/or nude models in their portfolios, but the bottom line is that a savvy (and paying) client will hire you based on what you can produce, not the look of the models in your portfolio.

Bottom line:

Are you paying to practice with worthy models, or are you paying because you think that having an attractive model in your portfolio will convince others that you are a better photographer?

I want to make good images. If I pay and I don't get good shots that would really suck. I'm considering paying because I have not yet found good talent for free, although I'm looking. The girl in question (assuming she still looks the same) is better than the group shoots (99% anyway) in this area.

So I think I can get much better shots than in my "portfolio" (I don't consider it a portfolio yet) as I have been learning a lot. So if I can get really nice shots and have a great model, that would be a real boost to the portfolio or to starting a real portfolio.

Mar 21 13 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

Eric Hodges Photography wrote:
So I found a nice model to shoot. She's $150 per hour (that's her offer). If she still looks like her portfolio, then she looks great. I probably only need an hour to get enough shots. Is $150 too much? I'm in the San Francisco area.

After missing the chance to work with some really beautiful models that deserve $150/hour, I'd say it really is up to your standards of what is fair pay.  To be really technical, figure nudes are only getting about $10/hour at universities, so $150/hr is A LOT in comparison.  If they travel, $30/hour seems really reasonable. Of course, I have a limited budget, so I'm more likely to hire a model who is willing to get paid little vs. nothing at all.

Mar 21 13 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

"Good" is a relative term, and prices between similar models can vary notably.

As a reference about half the models in my port were TF, one was $50/hour and the rest were in the $20-$30/hour range.  Those were all with a minimum of 2 hours however.

Obviously, how much work and waiting you are willing put up with is another factor.  The more models you contact, and the more you are willing to wait, the more likely it is you'll get a model with a lower hourly rate.

I think one question to ask yourself is what you get by paying $150/hour over $50/hour and is paying three times worth it to you or not.

Mar 21 13 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Lets just lay off the immediate though of recouping model fees though selling of "portfolio images"

A good model is worth paying if you can do as much as LEARN.
Treat it like a class, a good model will teach you much more then an inexperienced one.

Yes the best models do charge more, the are in higher demand and they also understand the market better.

I've never understood that so many people are willing to pay a premium price for quality and service, until it comes to paying a person, as soon as contractors and consultants are involved people balk and try to bring the prices down.

Mar 21 13 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I want to make good images. If I pay and I don't get good shots that would really suck. I'm considering paying because I have not yet found good talent for free, although I'm looking. The girl in question (assuming she still looks the same) is better than the group shoots (99% anyway) in this area.

So I think I can get much better shots than in my "portfolio" (I don't consider it a portfolio yet) as I have been learning a lot. So if I can get really nice shots and have a great model, that would be a real boost to the portfolio or to starting a real portfolio.

I have not looked at your portfolio, and won't provide a solicited or unsolicited critique, because I think the conversation here transcends that topic.

No offense, but your thinkng and hopes are flawed. As a photographer, you have nothing to learn from the models, unless you are training to be a model yourself. You should already know everything you need, by the time you start hiring models, otherwise just work with talent that is also learning. While you improve your skills, the models will improve theirs.

Since you stated that you want to learn, I would recommend that you spend your money on workshops. It will give you exposure to seasoned photographers, and short of formal training, anything you learn from a workshop instructor or a fellow (but more experienced) participant will be a cheaper investment with faster results.

I know that in the world of freelance modeling, active models do not like to hear that (most of their income comes from people that think they will become better photographers by working with someone that has great photos), but remember who is actually responsible for the final version of the photos. My point is, you should be spending money learning from the guys that took the photos, not the models.

The models are great at posing, but the photographer did all the light writing.

Mar 21 13 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Tony, I Appreciate your input, thanks!

Really, because most folks don't.   Develop your personal style first.   Work on composition that fits that style.  Its not that hard too find willing models.   Craigslist has a ton.   Start with the $20.00 an hour I suggested.   Find a MUA and actually a MUA may be more helpful in finding models.   There is nothing wrong with paying models but I bet you'll see little to no real difference in those you pay and those you don't.   My two most commented images were done in less then 30 minutes with a cheap 35-70 Nikon lens and I didn't pay either.   There is no 'jump starting' your port and if all it took to do so was too pay then a lot more of us would have better work.

Mar 21 13 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Hodges Photography

Death of Field wrote:
Lets just lay off the immediate though of recouping model fees though selling of "portfolio images"

A good model is worth paying if you can do as much as LEARN.
Treat it like a class, a good model will teach you much more then an inexperienced one.

Yes the best models do charge more, the are in higher demand and they also understand the market better.

I've never understood that so many people are willing to pay a premium price for quality and service, until it comes to paying a person, as soon as contractors and consultants are involved people balk and try to bring the prices down.

I'm very aware of this. That's why I asked. Thx.

Photographer

FemmeArtPhoto

Washington, District of Columbia, US

As long as she likes your work, she will settle for pizza, compliments and some great images.

Photographer

Eric Hodges Photography

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Really, because most folks don't.   Develop your personal style first.   Work on composition that fits that style.  Its not that hard too find willing models.   Craigslist has a ton.   Start with the $20.00 an hour I suggested.   Find a MUA and actually a MUA may be more helpful in finding models.   There is nothing wrong with paying models but I bet you'll see little to no real difference in those you pay and those you don't.   My two most commented images were done in less then 30 minutes with a cheap 35-70 Nikon lens and I didn't pay either.   There is no 'jump starting' your port and if all it took to do so was too pay then a lot more of us would have better work.

Your points are well taken! Thanks

Mar 21 13 12:40 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't think 150/hr is excessive when you're talking about a one hour shoot.

150/hr for a three hour shoot just for portfolio images sounds a bit much to me, but hey, I don't know who the model is.

If I were in your shoes, rather than negotiating the price, I'd probably negotiate the time so that I didn't have to worry about watching the clock. Like $150 for up to an hour and a half/ two hours/ whatever. An hour goes by much more quickly than you'd think when you're shooting with a good model Sure, you're more likely to get the shots you "need" more quickly, but you're also more likely to want to get more shots than you anticipated and get inspired.

Just a few thoughts!

Mar 21 13 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

To the OP

What are you looking for in a model , and with respect to the model that you are referring to - what has caught your interest ?

Mar 21 13 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

K I C K H A M wrote:
I don't think 150/hr is excessive when you're talking about a one hour shoot.

150/hr for a three hour shoot just for portfolio images sounds a bit much to me, but hey, I don't know who the model is.

If I were in your shoes, rather than negotiating the price, I'd probably negotiate the time so that I didn't have to worry about watching the clock. Like $150 for up to an hour and a half/ two hours/ whatever. An hour goes by much more quickly than you'd think when you're shooting with a good model Sure, you're more likely to get the shots you "need" more quickly, but you're also more likely to want to get more shots than you anticipated and get inspired.

Just a few thoughts!

Agreed ...it might take you ( and or the model ) an hour just to get into the zone so to speak

Mar 21 13 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

So I think I can get much better shots than in my "portfolio" (I don't consider it a portfolio yet) as I have been learning a lot. So if I can get really nice shots and have a great llama, that would be a real boost to the portfolio or to starting a real portfolio.

If you are learning then this $$$ you spend is a waste
As you get better you will look back at older work as inferior.
You wont be showing this old work anymore
When you feel your photography is 0 thats when llama choice becomes important
You certainly dont need to be paying bend over rates at this point
I know several people who poured Thousands into the "right" Internet llamas
They believe the myth "The llama" can make them
They will tell you know how they wasted resources and regret their choices

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

So I found a nice model to shoot. She's $150 per hour (that's her offer). If she still looks like her portfolio, then she looks great. I probably only need an hour to get enough shots. Is $150 too much? I'm in the San Francisco area.

Depends on the model, usage rights, etc.

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

"Pay" is a relative term, no you can't jumpstart a portfolio with pennies, but if you have ENOUGH of a budget YES you can make huge jumps in quality and production value.

Don't expect to do a thousand dollar job with 100.00.

But if you have the budget then you can get that 1000.00 job done just fine.

If someone has the finances to skip three rungs on the ladder then let them do that, stop telling people they need to go one tiny step at a time, not everyone wants to go the slow route.

Mar 21 13 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

If you want to jumpstart your portfolio and if the model is agency-caliber--elite, Ford, then $150 is a shrewd investment. You should book two hours of her time and make sure you have hair and makeup. It's not just the model, it's the look.

You should consider developing a strong concept for the shoot--editorial, or lifestyle. One of the powerful things about such direction is that it looks like your portfolio has direction.  I would also advise in preparation to really look at W and Vogue magazines, particularly the ads, and familarise yourself with campaigns if this appeals to you. I can understand some haziness, as you may be thinking of work in the future, and you may be thinking of different markets, and not quite sure of what you should focus on. You may also want to look at magazines that feature glamour, if that is a strong interest.  A strong direction will launch you better. If you can get four great models and different looks from them with a strong concept and understand why negative space is important in mag and ad work your book/portfolio should, presuming photographically it works, be a stunner, compared to other beginners.

Mar 21 13 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

You're just getting started.  Paying models is a good investment.  However, I know you can find models that charge less than $150.  Perhaps that one model gets that much, but you might consider shopping around.

On the high end, I've paid $150 for 2 hours.  That works our to $75 an hour ... but on average, I find models will shoot for much less, or even trade.  It's all negotiable.

Mar 21 13 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Hodges Photography

Garry k wrote:
To the OP

What are you looking for in a model , and with respect to the model that you are referring to - what has caught your interest ?

She has a great look, again assuming she still looks the same. She looks high end, still in her 20's. I know taste is a weird thing. I feel I have good taste.

Anyway, now I have serious doubts about paying that much. I already emailed her and said that it was steep, but that I want to work with her. Have not heard back yet. If she will not discount I'll wait. On this next shoot I'm still learning anyway, but just want to get models that are a cut above what I have found for free on craigslist.

A big cut above...lol

Mar 21 13 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Garry k wrote:

Agreed ...it might take you ( and or the model ) an hour just to get into the zone so to speak

+1
One hour is not enough.  You're both just getting warmed up.
I usually book 2hrs at least whether tf or paid.  Many times it goes way over that time but that's because we're both enjoying the shoot so much.  That's when you're getting the best shots.

Mar 21 13 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

You're just getting started.  Paying models is a good investment.  However, I know you can find models that charge less than $150.  Perhaps that one model gets that much, but you might consider shopping around.

On the high end, I've paid $150 for 2 hours.  That works our to $75 an hour ... but on average, I find models will shoot for much less, or even trade.  It's all negotiable.

You also miss out on a ton of amazing models who won't work for your low wages, every coin has two sides. I refused to work with you because your wage was too low. So have many others.

Mar 21 13 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Death of Field wrote:

You also miss out on a ton of amazing models who won't work for your low wages, every coin has two sides. I refused to work with you because your wage was too low. So have many others.

The most that I have paid was 130/hr.  She has a fantastic look!   smile

Mar 21 13 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Death of Field wrote:

If you and I negotiated in the past, and you didn't like the offer, that's your prerogative to turn it down.  That's fine.   I don't have a problem finding models to shoot with, and many have worked with me.  I'm very happy with the models I've worked with and they are happy too.  It's all in negotiation.

Mar 21 13 01:02 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

If you are learning then this $$$ you spend is a waste
As you get better you will look back at older work as inferior.
You wont be showing this old work anymore
When you feel your photography is %100 thats when model choice becomes important
You certainly dont need to be paying bend over rates at this point
I know several people who poured Thousands into the "right" Internet models
They believe the myth "The model" can make them
They will tell you know how they wasted resources and regret their choices

Some people decide to take that leap and pay someone and it turns into a turning point for their career.

It happened to me, and I've seen it happen to photographers as well.

Mar 21 13 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

I too don't think $150 for a one hour shoot is excessive. But, for me it takes virtually that long for the model to get out of makeup/hair for the 1st look. So, wheee - there goes the hour.
I guess if you're just doing a casual shoot and the model is arriving ready to jump in front of the lights and you're just going to click-click-click a couple looks. Well maybe - wouldn't work for me.

But, aggregating $150/hr for multiple hours for MM type projects seems a bit ridiculous. @OP better to let greedy models find their marks elsewhere IMO.

Mar 21 13 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Bravo Magic Images

Temple City, California, US

You have to ask yourself is this model only poseing Tits and Ass or is poseing style and substance. She may look like a model but does she know how to pose and give you those million dollar shots. $150,00 an hour is not much but if she will aks for min 3 hours you may want to just pay her for a half day or look for other photographers that may want to get on her modeling by paying your for what your paying her for 3 hours any ways if she is what you want and need money should be no object.

Mar 21 13 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Bravo Magic Images wrote:
You have to ask yourself is this model only poseing Tits and Ass or is poseing style and substance. She may look like a model but does she know how to pose and give you those million dollar shots. $150,00 an hour is not much but if she will aks for min 3 hours you may want to just pay her for a half day or look for other photographers that may want to get on her modeling by paying your for what your paying her for 3 hours any ways if she is what you want and need money should be no object.

There are some models I'd pay $150 an hour.  A model who has been published, has a popular website, the experience, and most importantly, the look I want ... will be a model I'd pay $150 and hour.  There are quite a few in Los Angeles like that!

Mar 21 13 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

$150.00 an hour for a MM model?
Its a little high.....
Unless she is a very strong fashion model
and trust me I know some fashion models that need work too and will
work for much cheaper.. I had this designer hire strong fashion models
for much cheaper than that.
Someone said its your money, it is, so spend it wisely.
I get a hunch she she is not worth that amount..
I'm not judging, I'm just saying you can get some pretty good models
for that price so she better be good...
What I'm trying to say is some models will try to get you for more money..

Mar 21 13 01:27 pm Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

I think that is approx £100.
That may on the face of it seem high.
But what people have to realise is with travel etc if it is just an hour or two you are offering then that may still take a whole day out.

So when people ask me for an hour rate I say smiliar.
But my day rate: that is not even double. I will shoot for ten hours for that.

When I was a full time model I got paid both by the hour and the job (day). Both effectively gave me $300 a day. I got that every day and was on a payroll by most of my employers; which included a major fashion house and several fine art institutions and education authorities.

So a photographer would ring me out of the blue want me for two weeks time say on a thursday. At that time I may be free. So what I want is at least a full day's pay because I know by taking that job I may - actually 'would' -  lose three or four days with my usual modelling employers. The same would be true for example with promo models. One days shoot could cost a week trade exhibition's work at say Clothes show Live or Erotica or even a perfume promo job in a mall.

So we don't pluck these figures from the air. We are after the same pay as what other employers pay models. The other model employers payroll you pay NI contributions and tax for you, and the work is regular. Working a one off day can be costly. So we look for a day's pay at least. so if I was only wanted for an hour I'd charge £100. 2 hours £175. All day not much  extra if that makes sense. In fact that's my day rate now. But I will still say £100 if it's just for an hour.

So maybe ask for her day rate. Chances are she will maybe charge you a lot less than you expect if she does this for a living.

Mar 21 13 03:01 pm Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

Philipe wrote:
$150.00 an hour for a MM model?
Its a little high.....
Unless she is a very strong fashion model
and trust me I know some fashion models that need work too and will
work for much cheaper.. I had this designer hire strong fashion models
for much cheaper than that.
Someone said its your money, it is, so spend it wisely.
I get a hunch she she is not worth that amount..
I'm not judging, I'm just saying you can get some pretty good models
for that price so she better be good...
What I'm trying to say is some models will try to get you for more money..

The op is not a designer. Designers often offer regular work. Sometimes in house. We get the whole spin off social scene which leads to more work. So yes we will work for them for less per hour - but they will sometimes use you so regularly they even payroll you.

If the op is sure that the model is a really good one then what they can add to his portfolio will be far better than wasting time on tf with wannabes and flakes and models who think nudity is rude.

But most of us will work for a lot less for a day rate so he should ask.

Mar 21 13 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

You might try posting a couple of Casting Calls and compare. For example, offer 2 or 3 hours for $150. Or even post one for TF*.

There's a lot of very shootable models in the SF Bay Area. You just might be pleasantly surprised with who responds.

smile

Mar 21 13 03:15 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

For erotic nudes its a good deal. Usually expect a 2 hour min.

Mar 21 13 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jonny Em

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

To me, the key is what you want the images for. You say for your portfolio, but what is it's purpose?  When I was just starting out, I shot the most attractive women I could find. Unfortunately, I discovered fairly quickly that the friends/family/local people who saw my advertisements all said that they would love to shoot with me, if they only looked as good as those girls. 

I was seriously considering posting a casting call for "Ugly Chicks!" (Just kidding!)

If your portfolio is for local advertising, then "Girl next door" may be your best bet. If you are trying to get in with agencies, magazines, etc, then it may be worth it to pay for the best.

In the end, it all depends on where you are trying to go with it.

Mar 21 13 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

DarrylPascoePhotography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Easy answer here.....whatever you feel you are willing to pay for what you expect to get. Starting from nothing to ....whatever that number for you is.

Mar 21 13 04:25 pm Link