This thread was locked on 2013-08-13 18:26:11
Forums > Photography Talk > Anyone else up to 500 images yet?

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Just added #500 this morning.  Always interested in checking out BIG ports here without having to surf all over this site.  Anyone else crack the 500 barrier yet?

Aug 12 13 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

That just seems like an overwhelmingly large number for an online portfolio like MM.

Aug 12 13 10:47 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Select Models wrote:
Just added #500 this morning.  Always interested in checking out BIG ports here without having to surf all over this site.  Anyone else crack the 500 barrier yet?

If you don't have time to surf...well hell u answered ur own question.

Sorry I ran out of

Aug 12 13 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Viator-Defessus Photos wrote:
That just seems like an overwhelmingly large number for an online portfolio like MM.

Guess it all depends upon your experience and perspective.  If you've shot 1000's of models over the last 30+ years... 500 might be only a drop in the bucket... wink

Aug 12 13 10:51 am Link

Photographer

MCmodeling

Sonora, California, US

Never thought about needing 500 images on here.

Aug 12 13 10:52 am Link

Artist/Painter

Augustine

Select Models wrote:
Guess it all depends upon your experience and perspective.  If you've shot 1000's of models over the last 30+ years... 500 might only be a drop in the bucket... wink

MCPHOTO wrote:
Never thought about needing 500 images on here.

Maybe you could rent your extra slots out?

big_smile

Aug 12 13 10:53 am Link

Photographer

michael___

New York, New York, US

Select Models wrote:

Guess it all depends upon your experience and perspective.  If you've shot 1000's of models over the last 30+ years... 500 might only be a drop in the bucket... wink

But still an unnecessary large number of images?  But to every person their own.

Aug 12 13 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

For most people that is far too many but your business model is different than most in that you are promoting your workshops and the more excellent shots of great models and locations the better. Plus it provides promotion for the models.

IMO there are few photographers or models that benefit from more than 30 shots, some of course after 150 you want to see more because of the quality. When I was on OPM I had over 300 and it was likely 200 too many.

Aug 12 13 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Michael Sergio Barnes wrote:

But still an unnecessary large number of images?  But to every person their own.

+1

Aug 12 13 10:56 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Select Models wrote:

For me a portfolio is to show the quality and style of my work, not the volume of it.  Whether you have taken 10,000 photos or 3,000,000 you still only need the same number to convey the quality and style of your work.

I keep my portfolio at 20 maximum and usually less.  I don't expect others to do the same, but 500 seems ridiculous.

Aug 12 13 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

David Kirk wrote:
I keep my portfolio at 20 maximum and usually less.  I don't expect others to do the same, but 500 is ridiculous.

Definitely NOT going to do the same here... wink   Guess that's why MM offered up 500 images slots... so I can be ridiculous... lol

Aug 12 13 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

It's just my opinion, but I feel like 500 images is basically just showing off a collection.

Basically, look at all the hot chicks I've shot.

Who looks at more than 40 before they get bored with a single person's portfolio? I'm not talking about scanning through the thumbnails. I mean paging through the large images.  Even scrolling through 200 thumbnails I find myself bored unless there's something interesting to see.

If its just the same 8 photos over and over with different faces and outfits, I back out.
Same as if a model has 30 photos from each of 12 different shoots. Boring.

I'd say that I have about 2000 "favorite" images I've shot over the last 12 years, but as far as unique shots, I'd say that number dwindles to 60-100.

Aug 12 13 11:07 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

David Kirk wrote:

For me a portfolio is to show the quality and style of my work, not the volume of it.  Whether you have taken 10,000 photos or 3,000,000 you still only need the same number to convey the quality and style of your work.

I keep my portfolio at 20 maximum and usually less.  I don't expect others to do the same, but 500 is ridiculous.

I must agree..while I can have 500...I can't fill it up. But some here must toot their own horns..look I have 500 slots filled..I need more. Lol

Aug 12 13 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
I must agree..while I can have 500...I can't fill it up. But some here must toot their own horns..look I have 500 slots filled..I need more. Lol

There's no limit to profile size. They can put another 100+ photos in the body of their profile text.

great.

Certainly, there must be a point of diminishing return to putting too many images in a portfolio.

Aug 12 13 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Good Egg Productions wrote:
There's no limit to profile size. They can put another 100+ photos in the body of their profile text.

Yeah... but 100+ pics on your profile text page does nothing but piss off those people who may be trying to read about what ya have to say... wink

Aug 12 13 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:
Yeah... but 100+ pics on your profile text page does nothing but piss those people off who may be trying to read about what you have to say... wink

Do you really see a difference between irritating people who are trying to read what you have to say (we both know very few people read profiles) and irritating people with 500 images to scroll through when they're trying to see what your photography style and skill level is?

smile

Aug 12 13 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Do you really see a difference between irritating people who are trying to read what you have to say (we both know very few people read profiles) and irritating people with 500 images to scroll through when they're trying to see what your photography style and skill level is?

smile

I see a HUGE difference... wink... I actually DO read profiles (cause I'm a writer)... borat... and I'm definitely here to irritate people... lol   J/K

Aug 12 13 11:32 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

This is not a slam, but do you really expect anyone to look at 500 images?

Aug 12 13 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

I'm sure I have 500 "portfolio" images, but they are all dedicated to differing portfolios.

20 women's boudoir
20 men's boudoir
20 press articles and tearsheets

100 wara project
100 paper bag project

And several online portfolios that are dedicated to whatever the client wants to see at any given time.
For example I had an interview with a local designer and I created a 20 image portfolio of images that were related to her clothing line.

(someday I'll get my 20 portrait book started, someday)

As for the concept of 500 images of the same pretty girl in a  pretty outfit I sxee no use for that.

Aug 12 13 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

I'm sure I have 500 "portfolio" images, but they are all dedicated to differing portfolios.

20 women's boudoir
20 men's boudoir
20 press articles and tearsheets

100 wara project
100 paper bag project

And several online portfolios that are dedicated to whatever the client wants to see at any given time.
For example I had an interview with a local designer and I created a 20 image portfolio of images that were related to her clothing line.

(someday I'll get my 20 portrait book started, someday)

As for the concept of 500 images of the same pretty girl in a  pretty outfit I see no use for that.

Aug 12 13 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Select Models wrote:

crack the 500 barrier?

you should try having only 20 photos in your portfoolio.

edit: the real question is can we rearrange your 500 photos to make a photo mosaic? and what would the mosaic end up being?

Aug 12 13 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Select Models wrote:

Hell no. I hate cracking the 100 barrier. If I cracked 200, I'd hope someone would smack me up alongside the head. tongue

I thought of you when the limit was increased, figured you'd be one of the first to make it! smile

Aug 12 13 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

GPS Studio Services wrote:

No offense taken Alan... we go back too many years.  You need to read a few dozen of the most recent TAGS on my MM page.  Here's a quote from 'Gemini Photo'... and that guy is a true supershooter in my book... wink

Great looking port Gary, I enjoyed strolling through!

Aug 12 13 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

MCmodeling

Sonora, California, US

Select Models do you know how many models go through all your images? I know for myself I hardly ever go past the first page of a models port when she has more then 1 page.

Aug 12 13 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Select Models wrote:
No offense taken Alan... we go back too many years.  You need to read a few dozen of the most recent TAGS on my MM page.  Here's a quote from 'Gemini Photo'... and that guy is a true supershooter in my book... wink

Great looking port Gary, I enjoyed strolling through!

strolling through?

with 500 images, you might need an overnight bag.... borat

Aug 12 13 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

L A U B E N H E I M E R wrote:
crack the 500 barrier?

you should try having only 20 photos in your portfoolio.

NOT in a million years.  Every picture is worth 1000 words... and there's just way too much to say here... borat

Aug 12 13 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

strolling through?

No problem... like Motel 6... we'll leave the light on for ya... lol

Aug 12 13 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

I don't know how many is the max number of images you can fit on a page but I would never go beyond one page of images.

I don't even bother to look in separate portfolios -- I lose interest way before that
point.

Quality over quanity.

Aug 12 13 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Select Models wrote:

NOT in a million years.  Every picture is worth 1000 words... and there's just way too much to say here... borat

hmmm.....

henry darger did write that novel.....

Aug 12 13 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Chicchowmein wrote:
I don't know how many is the max number of images you can fit on a page but I would never go beyond one page of images.

I don't even bother to look in separate portfolios -- I lose interest way before point.

Totally agree... that's why I only have one page... and it's one HUGE freakin page... lol   And yeah... all those extra mouse clicks needed to open up all those portfolios... such a waste of time... wink

Aug 12 13 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Chicchowmein wrote:

I don't even bother to look in separate portfolios -- I lose interest way before that
point.

Quality over quanity.

It's 500 for VIP members. Gary just proved it.

Someone should check to see how large the page is in MB when all those thumbnails finally load.

Aug 12 13 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:
No problem... like Motel 6... we'll leave the light on for ya... lol

If motel 6 is who you wish to liken your brand to then more power to you smile

Aug 12 13 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Someone should check to see how large the page is in MB when all those thumbnails finally load.

I waited 36 seconds and nothing loaded. I lost interest -- no thanks

If your page doesn't load in 20 seconds or less I am out

Aug 12 13 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Beautifully Soft Focus

Plano, Texas, US

Before ya start hating ... check OP's port.  Not a cull in the bunch (500) Damn fine work Doc. I think most of us would be hard pressed to cull this port down to 20 images (please). Like the model like to say if you got it flaunt it. I personally ain't mad at ya smile  and Yes I looked at all 500 images (most in thumbnail view admittedly), but the  random sample I peeped in  full view ... all spectacular wink

So Kudos to the OP for 500 great images wink

Be easy ya,

Alvin

Aug 12 13 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

strolling through?

lol

Aug 12 13 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Beautifully Soft Focus wrote:
Before ya start hating ... check OP's port.  Not a cull in the bunch (500) Damn fine work Doc. I think most of us would be hard pressed to cull this port down to 20 images (please). Like the model like to say if you got it flaunt it. I personally ain't mad at ya smile  and Yes I looked at all 500 images (most in thumbnail view admittedly), but the  random sample I peeped in  full view ... all spectacular wink

Be easy ya,

Alvin

he posts images in the forums all the time -- we've all seen his work.

Aug 12 13 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

17.2MB.   wow!

https://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/cGU43s … 23/viewall

my portfolio is only 1.2MB

Aug 12 13 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Chicchowmein wrote:

I waited 36 seconds and nothing loaded. I lost interest -- no thanks

If your page doesn't load in 20 seconds or less I am out

Upgrading your internet connection to something faster than dial-up might be an option for ya... wink... lol

Aug 12 13 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

GPS Studio Services wrote:

You are so right. 

When I see commercial clients, I only show about 30 images, and that's it.  They just don't have the time to look at more than that, and usually they can make up their minds before they even finish looking at the images, as they have been looking at other photographer's work already.   I think it goes back to when I was showing 11x14 prints in my portfolio. Now, it's on a laptop.

How long would it take me to look at 500 images in a critical fashion?  I don't know, but I wish I had the time.

Aug 12 13 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Beautifully Soft Focus wrote:

Be easy ya,

Alvin

I'm not hating.

Gary is good at what he does. But 500 of ANYTHING is too many anythings to truly appreciate each one. His collection is impressive as a collection.

Consider this. I do that white doorway series. I've shot 114 different people in different white outfits in the doorway. They're all slightly different, but how many do you need to see to understand what it is and decide (as a model) if you want to do one?  20? 8? 3?  Certainly not all 114.

Aug 12 13 12:31 pm Link