Forums > Model Colloquy > Plus size

Photographer

gtygty

Palmerston, Northern Territory, Australia

When I get a requests from a new model, I usually get the question, "do you shoot larger girls?" I usually answer with, "I don't have a weight limit"

It's sad that they have to think they have to ask that question in the first place. I like plus sized women, rather shoot them any day. But then I get snarky comments from women who tell me my models all suck because they are heavy.

Not sure I'm getting the point of this "modeling" thing. I get discouraged when I follow my heart and do what I want only to get bashed by some skinny chick who thinks she knows more than everyone else because she subscribes to a fashion magazine or two.

I don't give a shit what's popular, I know what I like and if you don't like it, go away.

Sep 02 13 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

trimmk wrote:
I don't give a shit what's popular, I know what I like and if you don't like it, go away.

Yes, follow your heart and be true. What the heart wants is not always in line with your mind's business objective, which is what I struggle with often. Shoot what you love.

Sep 02 13 10:52 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

well, not all photographers shoot bigger models, so it makes sense to ask first smile

Sep 03 13 01:26 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i've never been asked that question. but i usually try to have a larger girl in my portfolio so i guess that speaks for itself. larger girls often have such beautiful faces.

Sep 03 13 09:17 am Link

Photographer

AntlersandArrowsPhoto

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

This actually just came up to me the other day, and I live in an area that is known for it's beaches and stuff.  So this woman messaged me in response to a casting call and said 'Do you shoot plus size? I know a lot of photographers in the area don't..."
All I said was, "I'm happy you replied, I shoot with anyone!"

I've done some really nice pictures with 'overweight' or 'plus sized' girls and a lot of the time they are the most down to earth and very natural in a way that they don't realize.  I know what it's like growing up, not liking having your picture taken then diving into something like this.

Sep 03 13 09:29 am Link

Model

Evie Wolfe

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

It works other ways too - I know a few photographers who have been bashed for shooting only slim models.

The moral of the story is, body shaming has nothing to do with you, or your models, or your choices - it is nothing more than a direct reflection of the insecurities, hates and fears of the people who use it to bully others.

Body shaming is fashionable, both ways. It doesn't matter who you are or what size you are, someone (or lots of someones) is going to have a problem with it. Smile and move on smile

And although I do not message asking if photographers work with big/fat/curvy/voluptuous/plus size etcetcetcetc models, I know many girls do because it helps avoid some of the 'how dare you message me, you fat cow, all the models I shoot are beautiful and slim' responses to shoot enquiries.

Sep 03 13 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Shoot what you want.
Display what you shoot.

Read the criticism, but don't let it define you.

Sep 03 13 09:37 am Link

Model

Elisabeth Kaysen

Tracy, California, US

Unfortunately I think a lot of people get caught up on whether slim is better than plus size, rather than embrace both.  Kudos to those of you that photograph it all! smile

Sep 05 13 02:22 am Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

Outtakes Photography wrote:
a lot of the time they are the most down to earth and very natural in a way that they don't realize.

x2

i have been shooting full time pro for 11 years, and the last 9 years also shooting plus size catalog, lookbook, and store signage... the plus shoots are really fun...

i am on set for a plus size shoot right now as i type this...

Sep 05 13 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Posh Rocket Studio

Skowhegan, Maine, US

IMHO some of the most beautiful women I've seen / known have been those with CURVES. By all means, do your thing and line up those lovely ladies for a shoot, who gives a rats rear end what anyone thinks or says. I remember in high school I always preferred dating the bigger girls and my buddies would always joke around with me because of it . The point is, I never really gave a crap what they thought or said, I still don't ;-)

Sep 05 13 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i had plenty of larger girls after me in high school but unfortunately i hadn't learned to appreciate their charms yet. nothing like having a big girl hold you down and smile

Ernest Sambrano wrote:
I remember in high school I always preferred dating the bigger girls and my buddies would always joke around with me because of it . The point is, I never really gave a crap what they thought or said, I still don't ;-)

Sep 05 13 07:17 pm Link

Model

chasingKelly

Stanton, California, US

Kudos to you sir! Some people don't want to shoot me because I'm not a 'skinny' model smile

Sep 05 13 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Creative Lion Images

Hobart, Indiana, US

Evie Wolfe wrote:
It works other ways too - I know a few photographers who have been bashed for shooting only slim models.

The moral of the story is, body shaming has nothing to do with you, or your models, or your choices - it is nothing more than a direct reflection of the insecurities, hates and fears of the people who use it to bully others.

Body shaming is fashionable, both ways. It doesn't matter who you are or what size you are, someone (or lots of someones) is going to have a problem with it. Smile and move on smile

And although I do not message asking if photographers work with big/fat/curvy/voluptuous/plus size etcetcetcetc models, I know many girls do because it helps avoid some of the 'how dare you message me, you fat cow, all the models I shoot are beautiful and slim' responses to shoot enquiries.

Evie your port blows away the majority of the "skinny" models on this site...point made!

Sep 07 13 02:58 pm Link

Model

Evie Wolfe

Creative Lion Images wrote:

Thank you for the compliment on my port smile I don't really think beauty has anything to do with size or shape, but then I'm one of those incredibly annoying people who sees beauty in everyone (well, almost everyone), be they slim, fat, tall, short, green, purple or imaginary tongue lots of people disagree and have very definite views on who/what is beautiful, and that is fine, but I'm lucky that so many artists saw fit to give me a chance smile

Sep 07 13 03:31 pm Link

Model

roxy foxy

Chicago, Illinois, US

Do what suits YOU!  Its better to shoot who you've wanted to shoot than to regret not trying later on. The modeling industry can be harsh sometimes because everyone looks for something different but you can't let that get to you. I am an example of that because sometimes people look for "industry size models" or "plus size models" and I'm more like an in between model and sometimes I don't get a shoot because I'm too big or small for their measurement requirements. My point being everyone is looking for something different, so shoot who you want because regardless there will be some a**hole to TRY and disapprove but at the end its your choice.

Sep 08 13 04:23 pm Link

Model

Sabine Luise

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I use to ask those type of questions when I started here. It stopped when a photographer asked me "Why did I sound like I wouldn't work with you?". Seriously, why should I even care or worry if you don't just move on to the next one. You just never know.

The first thought in my mind as to why someone might ask this question is what you read on the Internet. You see it here frequently. If a photographer can be so rude to someone out in the open what would the do in a message? Personally, it has happened to me several times in the forums. Although, I haven't ever received a rude comment back about my size when messaging about a casting. It is the usual "I am not interested" or no response that ANY model can get.

Plus, I wouldn't get discouraged about doing what you want to do with your art. Hence there are many quotes about following the crowd to keep reminding you. I know I have not ever been one of those people.

Sep 18 13 11:38 am Link

Model

Kirst

Derry, New Hampshire, US

solution: shoot me and forget about the haters big_smile

Sep 26 13 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

Evie Wolfe wrote:

Thank you for the compliment on my port smile I don't really think beauty has anything to do with size or shape, but then I'm one of those incredibly annoying people who sees beauty in everyone (well, almost everyone), be they slim, fat, tall, short, green, purple or imaginary tongue lots of people disagree and have very definite views on who/what is beautiful, and that is fine, but I'm lucky that so many artists saw fit to give me a chance smile

From my profile: Some would say that Art defines Us, I would say that We define Art! Some would say that beauty is only skin deep, I would say that true beauty comes from the soul.

A beautiful soul and the ability to make it shine through in the image is what I'm after. To me that is what really matters.

Sep 26 13 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Beautiful Boudoir

Quincy, Massachusetts, US

My original post was unacceptable and I am truly sorry for being offensive.

Sep 30 13 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Evie Wolfe wrote:

+1

It happens to me a lot. I get attacked for 'hating fat girls' and only shooting 'anorexic' models hmm

Just shoot what inspires you - there's no point shooting anything else unless somebody is paying.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Sep 30 13 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

beautifulboudoir wrote:
Personally I a woman that looks like a woman and not a 12 year old boy.

A perfect example of skinny bashing.

Do you really think this is somehow acceptable just because the people you're attacking are skinny? neutral

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Sep 30 13 02:56 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

It goes both ways.

Sep 30 13 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

GeorgeMann

Orange, California, US

That Italian Guy wrote:

A perfect example of skinny bashing.

Do you really think this is somehow acceptable just because the people you're attacking are skinny? neutral

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

No, but neither is this comment of yours.

"I always have a wide angle lens in my bag for emergencies.

So, what's the problem again? "

Sep 30 13 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

SilverClaw_Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

trimmk wrote:
When I get a requests from a new model, I usually get the question, "do you shoot larger girls?" I usually answer with, "I don't have a weight limit"

It's sad that they have to think they have to ask that question in the first place. I like plus sized women, rather shoot them any day. But then I get snarky comments from women who tell me my models all suck because they are heavy.

Not sure I'm getting the point of this "modeling" thing. I get discouraged when I follow my heart and do what I want only to get bashed by some skinny chick who thinks she knows more than everyone else because she subscribes to a fashion magazine or two.

It is sad, but it is a reality a lot of us bigger girls have to face.  Personally it is one of the reasons I have remained behind the camera for so long. Now I am just getting to the point where I want these concepts in my head done, and putting myself out there again looking for photographers that are willing to help. 

And I like your attitude I do not care what is popular either, I create what I want to create and that is that. As long as the people I am working with are happy and I am happy with what I produce that is all that matters.

Sep 30 13 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Erin Koski

Ojai, California, US

The first time I was contacted by a plus size model interested in shooting with me, I hesitated because I wasn't sure I knew enough about my angles, and good example poses to make sure we got great images.  That said, before I responded, I did some research and found some beautiful images of plus size models to inspire me and get me shooting in the right directions. 

So some photographers may just not "like" the look of plus, or some may feel like they don't know what they're doing.

Alternatively, I shot with a girl that was so skinny I had the unexpected problem of having a hard time getting good angles and poses on her too.  Most of the poses/compositions I was used to resulted in photos with her bones poking out all over the place.  Not sexy either!!

Oct 01 13 02:12 pm Link

Model

Janelle Kane

beautifulboudoir wrote:

Personally I a woman that looks like a woman and not a 12 year old boy.

Ouch, this may come as a surprise to you but not everyone can control how their body looks and women come in all shapes and sizes.

Oct 01 13 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Beautiful Boudoir

Quincy, Massachusetts, US

Oct 01 13 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I shoot both plus and standard industry models and don't understand why anyone would not.  It's the models in between that get left out, but don't blame the photographers as its not like we set those standards.

Oct 01 13 02:55 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Evie Wolfe wrote:

This precisely. smile

Oct 01 13 03:03 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

beautifulboudoir wrote:

It's very nice of you to apologize. smile

Oct 01 13 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

chasingKelly wrote:
Kudos to you sir! Some people don't want to shoot me because I'm not a 'skinny' model smile

Are you kidding me?

Oct 01 13 03:14 pm Link

Model

anna gabriel

Lexington, Kentucky, US

I have asked photogs if they have experience shooting curvier girls.
I have curves.
If I don't see at least one thicker chick pic than I will question it.

and just sayin- There is beauty in both
              we have different looks that we could naturally do because of our own beaitiful selves smile

Oct 01 13 03:37 pm Link

Model

Evie Wolfe

That Italian Guy wrote:
+1

It happens to me a lot. I get attacked for 'hating fat girls' and only shooting 'anorexic' models hmm

Just shoot what inspires you - there's no point shooting anything else unless somebody is paying.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

I am sorry to hear that, but I can't say I am surprised. No form of body shaming is ever acceptable, and the idea that an eating disorder can be diagnosed from a photograph is just sad. I think people attack photos because it is easy to forget that a real person is represented in them. As demonstrated by this thread, however, often all it takes is politely pointing out how a comment can be hurtful to change a person's outlook. Hopefully one day these conversations will be a thing of the past, and we will only be judged by the quality of our work smile

Oct 01 13 04:01 pm Link

Model

Caroline Dawson

Egham, England, United Kingdom

great advice guys!

Feb 16 14 11:23 am Link

Model

christiecreepydolls

I ask. Many photogrphers here in LA have said no.
Some have said yes.

Feb 26 14 11:07 am Link

Model

marissa charles

London, England, United Kingdom

The last taboo I experience in modelling  obstacles is Boobs. I have found mine seem to cause problems in finding photographers to do a more fashion style shoot. They assume I would be better doing Glamour. At least  the Plus size market is more established than a big busted model.

Feb 26 14 11:32 am Link

Model

AmandaCecilia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can see why they would ask. For me, i'd probably ask because most of the time i cant even find jeans that fit me unless i go into a plus size clothing store. So I wouldn't know if you carry clothing that will fit my lower half of the body. the upper half isnt a problem. i have weird and uncommon ratios. 27" waist and 44" hips.

I dont think I really have a choice when it comes to that. I'd have to ask.

Feb 27 14 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

East West

AmandaCecilia wrote:
I can see why they would ask. For me, i'd probably ask because most of the time i cant even find jeans that fit me unless i go into a plus size clothing store. So I wouldn't know if you carry clothing that will fit my lower half of the body. the upper half isnt a problem. i have weird and uncommon ratios. 27" waist and 44" hips.

I dont think I really have a choice when it comes to that. I'd have to ask.

I wouldn't consider 44" hips to be a plus-size model....just say you have curves

Mar 03 14 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

BT Imagery

Christiansted, Saint Croix, Virgin Islands of the United States

Ernest Sambrano wrote:
IMHO some of the most beautiful women I've seen / known have been those with CURVES.

What do curves have to do with weight? The two curviest women I've ever know were less than 110lbs...

Mar 04 14 03:46 pm Link

Model

Cervezax

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
Shoot what you want.
Display what you shoot.

Read the criticism, but don't let it define you.

Hmmm... I like this.

Mar 04 14 03:54 pm Link