Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > People with Unusual Names

Photographer

S A L B

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I had a maths teacher in High School, Mister Bates. 

Yup, there was more of an 'a' sound to the 'i' in Mister back in the day.

I also worked for a bird conservation organisation. One of the researchers was Robin Bird. When stuff like that happens it's referred to as Nominative Determinism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_determinism

So, how many makeup artists are called Blush?

Oct 06 13 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada

when I was 17 or 18 I dated a girl named Judy Head. First time I went to her house I almost pissed myself. On her mailbox was "Dick Head & Family."

on another note,  a few years ago, I was watching a NASCAR Nationwide Series race. The names were scrolling across the top and at one point it went
21 Long 22 White 23 Dick

Oct 06 13 06:30 pm Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

When I was volunteering at a nursing home one of the residents there was a lady named Doris Brain.  I would say "good morning Mrs. Brain"...

Also, my mother once had a telemarketing job.  The number she called was for a Mrs. Fu.  My mother said "are you Mrs. Fu?" and the lady said "who?".  My mother and the lady repeated this exchange 3 or 4 times until finally the lady said "how do you spell that?" and my mother said " F. U."  My mother realised what she had said and immediately slammed down the phone, so the woman must have thought it was a crank call!

Oct 07 13 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Conlon

Methuen, Massachusetts, US

I work with a women her name is B spelled Be

Oct 07 13 05:39 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

"Hu used to be the President of China."

"I don't know, who?"

"That's right, Hu."

"That's what I'm asking you!!!  Who?"

"He was the President of China."

"Who?"

"Him"

"Him Who?"

"No, just Hu."

The current President of China is Xi, pronounced "she."  I could go on.  big_smile

Oct 07 13 05:50 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

My dad is danish, so I have a danish lastname. It's not that uncomon in denmark, but I'm the only person in Belgium with that last name, and everyone always misspels it. It also officially contains a letter that doesn't exist in the flemish alphabet smile

Oct 07 13 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I was sued once by a guy named Neil Neil. First name Neil, second name Neil. Talk about a lack of creativity, his parents must have been high!

Oct 07 13 07:28 am Link

Photographer

maso-arts

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I used to drive for a company that delivered drugs to Pharmacies.  One day I was waiting for the Pharmacist to finish on the phone so she could sign for a delivery, and she was trying as hard as she could not to laugh.  She asked what the name of the patient was (caller's child), and then asked the caller to repeat it.  Three times.  The child's name?  Areolla.  At least they added an extra "l". 

A friend from school with the last name Showers named his kid April.

Oct 07 13 11:09 am Link

Photographer

LensFlair

Kenosha, Wisconsin, US

In my neighborhood, when I was growing up, there was a family with four children. The first three were girls. Their names were Lavonna, Laverne, and Laveda. They finally had a boy. They named him Lalester.

Oct 07 13 11:33 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2175/2407513864_436e6de462.jpg

Oct 07 13 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Oh yes.  Teachers.

My biology teacher was Gene Reckin.

And we were all rooting for these two to get married:   Barb Cox and Dick Fallus.

Mr. Custard
Mrs. Bland
Mr. Pusse who insisted the stress went on the final syllable.
and Mr. Farag  (frog)
were all abused horribly.

Oct 07 13 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

InnerGlow Studios

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I know a pediatrician named Wellington Hung.  Of course everyone shortens his first name...

We also had a nurse named Sandy Hoar.  Once I overheard a conversation between two women who worked in the call center that I supervised:
Girl 1: Oh my God!  Could you be a "Sandy Hoar:?
Girl 2: Only in the summer, girl.

I've worked with two Dr. Paynes.  And a heart surgeon named Brian Blades.

Oct 07 13 05:05 pm Link

Model

Svetlana Muerte

Austin, Texas, US

Michael Talent wrote:
My wife use to work for an insurance company. Her job was to verify the info on the newly insured. She found a girl named Aquanetta and a girl named Chlamydia. There were other names almost as funny so I may list those later.

I've actually come across an Aquanetta in a professional setting. I thought she was the only one.

Went to high school with a Sharmin. Doesn't look that strange until you see her running for student council with a poster full of toilet paper and the slogan, "Don't squeeze the Sharmin!"

She won.

Oct 07 13 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Growing up, the local shopping center had an optometrist named Dr. B.D. Eagle.

Pre-determined career...

Oct 07 13 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
They named the girl October.  That's her real name.

I never understood why April, May, and June were totally acceptable as first names, but none of the other months were.

Maybe January Jones is breaking down those barriers.

Oct 07 13 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Andialu

San Pedro, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

I never understood why April, May, and June were totally acceptable as first names, but none of the other months were.

Maybe January Jones is breaking down those barriers.

I took a flight that had a flight attendant named December.

Oct 07 13 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

I love my name... Thank's to my daddy I have a pretty different first name and thanks to my husband for my wicked last name

Erlinda Goldie. (Air-Linda) is how you would say my first name...

Many people mistake it and think it's eer-linda like a pirate being pissed at someone and going eeerrr. LOL Thats not how you say it tongue I stopped correcting people after awhile, those that matter know how to say it properly lol big_smile

Oct 07 13 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Los Angeles, California, US

I had a teacher in high school named Chuck Schmuck.  And there was former 49er running back Ricky Patton. His mother was a big fan of I Love Lucy so his full name was Ricky Ricardo Patton.

Oct 07 13 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

The Philadelphia Eagles had a guy on their team once whose father named all of his children after a book of the bible. I'm thinking Joel or Micah or Luke for the boys would all be acceptable. This man's name was/is Ephesians Bartley.

I used to do data entry a long time ago. I came across some weird names in doing it, but the only one whose last name I remember was "Titsworth".

I met a young lady name Gia. She'd tell everyone that the license plate on her car was the same as her name. It was "Gee Uh". There was another young lady named Candy Kane (at least I think it was spelled with a K).

For me, foreign names don't count as much because it may be weird here, but might be really common where it's from (perhaps). That all changed when I met a guy named Samear. Everyone just called him "smear".

Oct 07 13 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I knew a woman called Mrs McCave who had 23 sons and she named them all Dave!

Now Dave may not be an unusual name but it was an unusual thing to do.

I mean, why didn't she call one of them Bodkin Van Horn or one of them Hoos-Foos. And one of them Snimm. And one of them Hot-Shot. And one Sunny Jim. And one of them Shadrack. And one of them Blinkey. And one of them Stuffy. And one of them Stinkey.
Another one Putt-Putt. Another one Moon Face. Another one Marvin O’Gravel Balloon Face. And one of them Ziggy. And one Soggy Muff. One Buffalo Bill. And one Biffalo Buff.
And one of them Sneepy. And one Weepy Weed. And one Paris Garters. And one Harris Tweed. And one of them Sir Michael Carmichael Zutt. And one of them Oliver Boliver Butt. And one of them Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate …

But she didn’t do it.

And now its too late!

Oct 07 13 07:31 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

This just happened today...

I volunteer at the local civic center for the continuing education program and tonight was sign up for some short courses.

A young woman, in the 20's, fills out her info card and brings it to me.  I read her first name just as she spelled it on the card "Eleven".

She corrects me slowly "EV-ah-lin".

I say "ohhhh, Evelyn"

She says "yes"

Before I enter it into the computer, I have to ask "and this is the correct spelling?"

She says "yes, WHY?"

I say "nothing, I didn't know how to spell Evelyn, sorry"

Oct 08 13 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
They named the girl October.  That's her real name.

When I was in college I had classes with a girl named September.

She had three sisters, April, May and June. True story, sorry to say...

Oct 08 13 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

Tim Summa wrote:
Hello,
Frank Zappa named his first born, a boy Dwezel,  .

In the middle '80's, Dweezel stayed at my house...

Oct 08 13 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

S A L I N G E R wrote:
I had a maths teacher in High School, Mister Bates.

Over 40 years ago, before caller ID and when prank phone calls were ( moderately ) acceptable, we would call ( found in the phonebook ) a Mr. Meoff, Mr. Jack Meoff...

Oct 08 13 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

In the '70's,at a school a couple over from mine, there was a counselor named Helen Fry.

It was always said to be comical when a misbehaving student was told "to go to Helen Fry!"

Oct 08 13 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

NT Photography

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

I saw a girl with the name China Chow on my college directory(an American university).  We laughed. Her name became a joke among my friends.  Soon after, I went to a party and some dude asked me if I knew a girl with that name.(we went to the same college and we were both Chinese.  The dude assumed that I might know her).  He told me that that girl was hot!!!!! I heard the same story again a few times.  The joke became something else.... I wanted to meet China Chow.  The story became even stranger.... a British model with that name became very famous around the same time, but I did not think it was the same China Chow. The model did not attend the same school in the US.

Oct 08 13 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

ImagineAerie

Plano, Texas, US

Once knew a mate on a sailing boat out of Maalaea, Maui, a young lady named "Nani", Hawaiian for "beautiful" (oh, was she!).  In Japanese, though, that means, "What?".  Of course there were lots of Japanese tourists.  Leading to...
Japanese tourist: "What is your name?"
Nani: "Nani"
Tourist: (a little more slowly), "What - is - your - name?"
Nani: "Na-ni"
Tourist: (Slower still), "What...is...your...name!?"
Nani: "My - name - is - Na-ni!"

My wife used to be a nurse in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at the County Hospital.  Babies delivered months early were routine, with mothers hardly prepared to deal with such events. 

The babies were placed in "isolette" incubators to maintain their tiny body's temperatures, provide light therapy and oxygen, protect them, etc.  So when asked what the name of their baby was, some mothers jumped at the first word they saw: "Isolette", pronounced "Ee-so-lett-ah".  Then there was, "Placentia".  And of course a whole host of even more unique names, but the only one that leaps to mind right now is, (phonetically expressed) "Fer-shun-dia".  Don't ask me how it was spelled -- the parents didn't know either, they just left that up to the nurse!

Oct 08 13 10:22 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Indrea Gordon

Lake Charles, Louisiana, US

Post hidden on Aug 29, 2014 12:50 am
Reason: other
Comments:
Spam is evil

Aug 28 14 09:15 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

One of my cousin's high school teachers was named Mary Christmas, and a boy in her class was named William Prick.  Other relatives on her father's side personally knew the famous Ima Hogg, the daughter of the governor of Texas.

There are two well known local families, one has the last name of Dick and the other Cock. Another not so well known has the last name of Legg.  All three had sons named Harold, which of course got shortened to Harry. They couldn't stand the jokes.

Another family in the area has the last name Smellie.

Aug 28 14 09:33 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Post hidden on Aug 29, 2014 12:51 am
Reason: other
Comments:
quoted spam

Aug 28 14 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Los Angeles, California, US

When I was in boarding school there was a prefect whose name was Allcock.

So far so good right.....

But his idiot parents named him Simon Mark.

At boarding school we had to have out initials and last name on out jackets, books, locker... etc etc

His was S M Allcock.

Smallcock.....

Aug 28 14 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

ex pitching coach for the anaheim angels: dick pole

Aug 28 14 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Used to be a local golf pro here, I think at Bay Hill, named Dick Titty.

Also heard a guy win a radio contest years ago with the most unusual name.  Had to be in the phone book.  His name?  Harry Balsitch.  I'll never forget it!  Ha!

Aug 29 14 08:39 am Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

I'm the only person with my full legal name in the US (probably everywhere). There are people with similar names but not quite. A great-great-great who wanted to pretend to be another nationality when they came to Canada spelled a sort of common name wrong and so now all of his relations have that name.

My other family names are pretty normal almost, but for some reason a lot of Mohawks are named Moses/Mose! Other members of my family have tried to give their children more normal names lol

And Ha Ha? I don't know, I think Ha is a pretty common Korean name. I know quite a few. I had a Vietnamese girlfriend who had the middle name pronounced "cum", that is still something I tease her about lol

Aug 29 14 08:49 am Link

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

I know someone named January Dawn, and my name is obviously unique for those who know it. My daughters name will be Even more unique of course.

Aug 29 14 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Senator Dale Bumpers had a daughter that my folks went to school with.

He named her Bonnie

Bonnie Bumpers

And to add to her misery, she was very well endowed by nature.

Aug 29 14 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Damon Strong

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

The real first name of author Ann Rice is Howard, named after her father.

Aug 29 14 12:13 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I sell things on Ebay for other people and I had a collectible car that was Dick Trickle's. It didn't sell and shortly after I read that he killed himself.

Aug 29 14 02:06 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Isis22 wrote:
I sell things on Ebay for other people and I had a collectible car that was Dick Trickle's. It didn't sell and shortly after I read that he killed himself.

I bet it's worth something now.

Aug 29 14 02:15 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

I bet it's worth something now.

I told the guy to hang on to it;)

Aug 29 14 02:17 pm Link