Forums > Model Colloquy > Suicide Girls

Model

Isriah

ULSTER, Pennsylvania, US

I was actually accepted awhile back ago by SG to be one of their models. However, I've had other friends who have worked with them and STRONGLY were against me having anything to do with them. I guess they considered them very abusive and highlighted things that were turmoil in said model's life. (ex: self harm scars)

Has anyone here worked with them and did you have a bad experience?

Oct 26 13 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Quixotic Erotic

Simi Valley, California, US

Get ready for an online beating here on MM. Do a search and you'll see most people on M are anti SG. Being "accepted" as one of their models is not what you might think it means. Do some research on how modeling for them works.

Oct 26 13 11:28 am Link

Model

Isriah

ULSTER, Pennsylvania, US

Quixotic Erotic wrote:
Get ready for an online beating here on MM. Do a search and you'll see most people on M are anti SG. Being "accepted" as one of their models is not what you might think it means. Do some research on how modeling for them works.

I figured as much. I will search it out.

Oct 26 13 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

They dangle the carrot, but just want the content the photographer is stupid enough to sign away, with no commitment from them whatsoever. They're beneath the barrel scum.

Oct 26 13 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

lots of SG girls on Zivity. you might want to check it out. any member can get you a 30-day free trial.

Oct 26 13 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Lots of SG threads, do a search. I don't want anything to do with SG.

Oct 26 13 08:31 pm Link

Model

Isriah

ULSTER, Pennsylvania, US

I mean back in the day when I read their contact it sounded kind of sh**y.

You do not get pay unless you have the most creative set and that is only 500 dollars.

They have the rights to your image and make money off of YOU.

So yes, I know what they are about. I do like that they do all different looks though. However, like I said, I had a few friend involved with them that got out and away from them and they told me some very bad things. One even said if I was taking photos for them she would come and haul my a** away from the studio. Ha Ha. tongue

I was just curious if anyone else had any stories about them. Now that I see all the past threads. Wow. It certainly has been discussed!

Oct 27 13 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Isriah wrote:

never worked, never considered them.
SG is a franchising of misery.
Isriah, you can easily create your own brand ("Isriah SuperGirls", for example) -- your own web site costs peanuts these days, with your own copyrights, profits (if any) and no crooks around

Oct 27 13 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

I will NEVER shoot pics and allow their use on SG. What an F'ing waste of anyone's time.

Oct 27 13 07:41 pm Link

Model

Haruka Salt

Los Angeles, California, US

I would just stick to Zivity! Or look into Gods Girls. Don't sign your soul away to SG :p

Oct 27 13 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Isriah wrote:
I mean back in the day when I read their contact it sounded kind of sh**y.

You do not get pay unless you have the most creative set and that is only 500 dollars.

They have the rights to your image and make money off of YOU.

So yes, I know what they are about. I do like that they do all different looks though. However, like I said, I had a few friend involved with them that got out and away from them and they told me some very bad things. One even said if I was taking photos for them she would come and haul my a** away from the studio. Ha Ha. tongue

I was just curious if anyone else had any stories about them. Now that I see all the past threads. Wow. It certainly has been discussed!

Aren't those testimonials enough to just not do it?

Why are we even talking about this?

Oct 27 13 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Isriah wrote:
I was actually accepted awhile back ago by SG to be one of their models. However, I've had other friends who have worked with them and STRONGLY were against me having anything to do with them. I guess they considered them very abusive and highlighted things that were turmoil in said model's life. (ex: self harm scars)

So let me get this straight. You have friends who have worked for them (so their opinion is based on personal experience) who had tried to dissuade you from signing up and making you go through what they went through.... and still you post on MM asking for the advice of strangers.

I suspect you're just looking for that one person who will tell you to go for it, because that's what you really want. By having one person to tell to it's okay, you can give yourself an excuse if things don't work out; just a person to blame.

Oct 27 13 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i've always thought that was exactly the reason for many of the threads on here.

if someone wants to scratch an itch then by all means they should scratch that itch. but they should also take full responsibility for having made that choice.

i think for some models they are on SG and Zivity and have a cam or a web site and the goal is to cross-promote and get as many followers as possible for their various endeavors.

Francisco Castro wrote:
I suspect you're just looking for that one person who will tell you to go for it, because that's what you really want. By having one person to tell to it's okay, you can give yourself an excuse if things don't work out; just a person to blame.

Oct 28 13 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Odin Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I've been approached by several models to shoot sets for SG. I have turned them all down. I would never shoot for SG or model for them. Danger Will Robinson.

Good luck to you and much success in work and life! smile

Oct 28 13 09:30 am Link

Photographer

bwhstudios

Hingham, Massachusetts, US

The best model I have ever worked with claims that SG is the worst to pose for.

Oct 31 13 09:17 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
Aren't those testimonials enough to just not do it?

Why are we even talking about this?

+1

You mention "friends", as in the plural, and don't mention a single one of those friends who shared a positive experience...and you still want opinions from outsiders? This would say to a lot of us that you're not looking for honest opinions (you already got those), but rather you're looking for validation to go ahead with it.

Oct 31 13 09:26 am Link

Photographer

New Art Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

Dan OMell wrote:

Isriah, you can easily create your own brand ("Isriah SuperGirls", for example) -- your own web site costs peanuts these days, with your own copyrights, profits (if any) and no crooks around

++ Isriah, if everyone tells you a dog is a biter, why are you drawn to pat it yourself? The above advice seems very sensible to me.

Oct 31 13 09:27 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

https://www.jayleavitt.com/links/guide_forum_llama.gif

You are getting good, civilized replies to this thread.  Here are a links to a few of the past discussions on this topic you can read to help you with your research:

CLICK HERE

and here

and here

I could provide you with more links, but I think that is a good start.

Oct 31 13 09:31 am Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

Jay Farrell wrote:
They dangle the carrot, but just want the content the photographer is stupid enough to sign away, with no commitment from them whatsoever. They're beneath the barrel scum.

Isn't that pretty much the same for almost every e-zine and radio station promotion that use photographers for their content with the promise of "exposure" that means nothing?  I don't really see the difference, other than Suicide Girls might have been doing it first.

Oct 31 13 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Silver Mirage

Plainview, Texas, US

Read the terms very carefully. They are very restrictive of what you can do outside SG -- unless they have changed recently. I think you will also find many photographers avoid SG and its members. 

You don't have to be a SG to do alt style modeling - many others do it. Depending on your goals, zivity, a blog, your own page or even just a Facebook fan page can get your name out there. And potentially bring in some money and get you some paying jobs if you work it hard enough.

Oct 31 13 10:20 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I have a lot of friends who have said that anyone considering SG should also consider Zivity. They're supposed to treat you much better than SG.

I haven't used either, though, so I can't say for sure; I'm merely parroting what my friends with experience have said.

Nov 01 13 03:56 am Link

Photographer

R Byron Johnson

Norman, Oklahoma, US

K E E L I N G wrote:

Isn't that pretty much the same for almost every e-zine and radio station promotion that use photographers for their content with the promise of "exposure" that means nothing?  I don't really see the difference, other than Suicide Girls might have been doing it first.

Or rather Suicidegirls is just the most well-known.  But you're right, that shit happens all the time.  It's pretty standard and certainly not exclusive to SG.  People are always searching to profit from the work of others.  It's the "American" way.

Nov 01 13 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

nudeXposed

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

suicide girls? really? what sick puppy wants pictures of dead girls anyway?

Nov 01 13 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

My advice for SG from what I've heard and read, some of which actually is from SG, is for you to RUN, run fast!  Never look back!

Nov 01 13 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Hall - Fine Art

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

Dan OMell wrote:

Good point here.

Nov 01 13 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

R Byron Johnson

Norman, Oklahoma, US

nudeXposed wrote:
suicide girls? really? what sick puppy wants pictures of dead girls anyway?

Crime scene photographers?

Nov 02 13 07:42 pm Link

Model

GingerMuse

STUDIO CITY, California, US

One of my best friends is a SG and she has been for a while. She likes it. She hasn't said anything bad about them. BUT I have heard both sides.

Nov 02 13 09:19 pm Link