Forums > Photography Talk > Minimum mp for printing billboard size

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Quick question,  any photographers know the minimum mp needed to scale up for a billboard?

Dec 18 13 10:37 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Best I can remember, I did a crop @ 1200 dpi, and the billboard folks upsized it from there.

I would contact the billboard company.

Dec 18 13 10:42 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Because a highway billboard is meant to be viewed at a great distance away, I'd think you wouldn't need particularly high resolution. Now, if you're printing a huge in-store display that is meant to be viewed at relatively close distances, that's different.

Dec 18 13 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

PhillipM wrote:
Best I can remember, I did a crop @ 1200 dpi, and the billboard folks upsized it from there.

I would contact the billboard company.

LOL big_smile…NO!!!!!

No, DPI says nothing how many pixels there are…it's just a density, it still won't say if it's 2 pixels or 10.000….you can still place 2 pixels very close to each other at1200 and still ending up with an image of 2x2 pixels….

so what he would be needing what dimensions would the image needs to be in pixels...

in any case to answer your question, depends on viewwing distance, but i've done 6x4 meter (or yards for that matter) and even 12x8meter on a Canon 5D mk2, so i would say starting from around 18 MP…

The printing company will assign a sufficient dpi to the image regarding viewing distance…it can range from 16 dpi to 100 dpi then…

remember ppi/dpi is about how many marbles there are on a given distance, (a meter for example), but won't say how big your bag with marbles have to be …it could be only 2 marbles..

this was done on a Canon 5D2
https://www.dutchcowboys.nl/images/upload/Sapph_Centercom1.jpg

https://www.hermanvangestel.com/mm/sapph-highway-billboard_n.jpg

Herman
www.hermanvangestel.com

Dec 18 13 10:52 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Download a template from their website.

It varies per the size of the board obviously but the size I was doing for one customer was built at something like 12" x 3.375" at 300 dpi (that's not exact, just me guessing from a few years back).

Dec 18 13 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Tilt Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

You should confirm with the prepress facility but I believe billboards are 1" = 1' @ 300dpi (so if your image occupies 20 feet of billboard space, you'd need 20"@300dpi).  And you can find megapixel calculators on the web that show the equivalent MP based on the number of pixels.

Dec 18 13 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
Because a highway billboard is meant to be viewed at a great distance away, I'd think you wouldn't need particularly high resolution. Now, if you're printing a huge in-store display that is meant to be viewed at relatively close distances, that's different.

And the printing process tends to be quite crude, too.  Plus, most billboard pics tend to be heavily worked up, and are often combinations of images.

Dec 18 13 11:06 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

I'm only concerned if I have enough to work with in the first place. It's going to be the billboard company's problem to print it. CMA if my client decides to do a billboard and the stuff I shot don't have enough to look good. Could rent an 80 mp digiback to cover all the bases.

Dec 18 13 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Tilt Photo wrote:
You should confirm with the prepress facility but I believe billboards are 1" = 1' @ 300dpi (so if your image occupies 20 feet of billboard space, you'd need 20"@300dpi).  And you can find megapixel calculators on the web that show the equivalent MP based on the number of pixels.

That would be a dpi of 300/12 =25 dpi…but again depends if it s a billboard for highway/ Times Square or waiting hall of a train station..it can as low as 10-12 dpi…

but ask them…but if you have a 18-21 MP camera you will be mostly fine…off course, higher is always welcomed , but needs processing-power...

Herman
www.hermanvangestel.com

Dec 18 13 11:12 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

the lonely photographer wrote:
I'm only concerned if I have enough to work with in the first place. It's going to be the billboard company's problem to print it. CMA if my client decides to do a billboard and the stuff I shot don't have enough to look good. Could rent an 80 mp digiback to cover all the bases.

No need at all, I shot plenty of them with a D2x and used stock images off of iStock for many others and they worked fine.

Dec 18 13 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'd be comfortable with anything with 6.3 or more for a typical billboard.

Dec 18 13 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

In photo school, this was one of the many trick questions. "What film format should be used for a billboard." The answer was, as several have noted, "It doesn't matter." Billboards are viewed from a distance.

Don

Dec 18 13 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
In photo school, this was one of the many trick questions. "What film format should be used for a billboard." The answer was, as several have noted, "It doesn't matter." Billboards are viewed from a distance.

Don

A better answer would be "depends on viewing distance"

here is a Print Resolution Calculator wink

and then found this little beauty for simplicity…

view = 3500 / dpi

or for a given viewing distance

dpi = 3500 / view

(The viewing distance is the distance at which you can resolve a
line pair drawn at the given DPI).

If you want to view the billboard from 50 feet we have:

viewing distance = 50 feet * 12 inches = 600 inches

dpi = 3500/600 = 6 dpi

Now it only remains how big the billboard by itself is smile

Herman
www.hermanvangestel.com

Dec 18 13 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Azimuth Arts

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If you suspect your client may want to make a billboard out of the photos you take it is best to find out the possible specs BEFORE the shoot.  Billboards are often a different aspect ratio than print - if you are shooting primarily for a magazine in a portrait aspect ratio (say an 8.5 wide x 11 high page) but the billboard it needs to go on is 20' wide by 10' tall you will either need to shoot a separate photo for each, or shoot the same image with adequate framing to allow for both crops.

The best CYA is to get the client to confirm ALL SPECS BEFORE you shoot - and make sure you can deliver - then everything is suitably covered.

Just my $0.02

Dec 18 13 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Btw... My first and only billboard was shot with a d60

Dec 18 13 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Azimuth Arts wrote:

If you suspect your client may want to make a billboard out of the photos you take it is best to find out the possible specs BEFORE the shoot.  Billboards are often a different aspect ratio than print - if you are shooting primarily for a magazine in a portrait aspect ratio (say an 8.5 wide x 11 high page) but the billboard it needs to go on is 20' wide by 10' tall you will either need to shoot a separate photo for each, or shoot the same image with adequate framing to allow for both crops.

The best CYA is to get the client to confirm ALL SPECS BEFORE you shoot - and make sure you can deliver - then everything is suitably covered.

Just my $0.02

that's the Italian guys qoute  lol

Dec 18 13 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

That's the great thing about model mayhem, you can offer all the advice in the world regardless whether you have a clue what you're talking about or not.

Dec 18 13 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

MMDesign wrote:
That's the great thing about model mayhem, you can offer all the advice in the world regardless whether you have a clue what you're talking about or not.

I'll take it all under advisement.

Dec 18 13 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I'll take it all under advisement.

I would recommend that you take under advisement the info provided by those who have actually produced a billboard, but that's just me.

Dec 18 13 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Danny Steyn

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Some years ago, the agency at the time handling Hard Rock Cafe purchased a 6MP image from me that was used as a full bleed image on a billboard. The image was shot on the original Nikon D1 SLR

Remember viewing distance is the key here.

Dec 18 13 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

When I worked for an ad agency some 20 years ago one of our clients used a shot we did for them shot on 35mm transparency.  It looked great.  Any current crop of dslrs will work.  Let the printing company handle it.

Dec 18 13 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

-JAY- wrote:
I'd be comfortable with anything with 6.3 or more for a typical billboard.

+1

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Dec 18 13 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Azimuth Arts wrote:

Just my $0.02

It depends on the billboard too and the use. If it's a full image for a specific size then yes, this is something to keep in mind. If it's just some image floating in white (or some color) then no, they can move things around as needed for the specific site.

What you really need all the specs for is pricing, or to find out if their offer is in the ballpark or not.

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Dec 18 13 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

MMDesign wrote:

The great thing about the internet is that we can just go look up right from the billboard company what their specs are for artwork.

Just choose the first one that came up in my area.

https://www.cbsoutdoor.com/outdoor101/p … ction.aspx

Andrew Thomas Evans
http://andrewthomasevans.blogspot.com/

Dec 18 13 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

1 - it is ppi not dpi
2 - billboards have been done from 4 Mp cameras in the past
3 - the only people who can give the correct answer to the OP's are the people who are printing it since they know the specifications that they use.

Dec 18 13 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Andrew Thomas Evans wrote:

The great thing about the internet is that we can just go look up right from the billboard company what their specs are for artwork.

Just choose the first one that came up in my area.

https://www.cbsoutdoor.com/outdoor101/p … ction.aspx

Andrew Thomas Evans
http://andrewthomasevans.blogspot.com/

Yes, which is mentioned in my first post.

Dec 19 13 03:04 am Link