Forums > Model Colloquy > Weight gain :(

Model

Celine Sophia

Santa Barbara, California, US

I have put on about 15 lbs due to stress this year. My eating habits are good and I exercise and hope to have the weight off soon.  My question is this, I posted my new weight but all of my portfolio pictures are at a lighter weight.  Should I keep answering casting calls and say something? Say nothing?  Or wait until I've gotten the extra pounds off.  Also any on have any diet advise?

May 28 14 03:00 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Celine Sophia wrote:
I have put on about 15 lbs due to stress this year. My eating habits are good and I exercise and hope to have the weight off soon.  My question is this, I posted my new weight but all of my portfolio pictures are at a lighter weight.  Should I keep answering casting calls and say something? Say nothing?  Or wait until I've gotten the extra pounds off.  Also any on have any diet advise?

Sorry just a photographer here, but wanted to say that as long as you keep your stats current, then I'm good smile

If you're worried about answering castings without new images to match your current stats, just add in your profile section that your stats are current as of xx/xx/xxxx.

May 28 14 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Celine Sophia wrote:
I have put on about 15 lbs ... but all of my portfolio pictures are at a lighter weight.  Should I keep answering casting calls and say something? Say nothing?  Or wait until I've gotten the extra pounds off.

I pay little attention to the stats because they are often inaccurate, and, sometimes, grossly so. 

Consequently, I pay a lot of attention to the photos, so, if your photos are no longer accurate, either lie low for a time or post photos that show you as you are.  Fifteen pounds is a lot.

May 28 14 06:08 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Since you are a VIP I would put a current snapshot in your profile and date it. Good for you for keeping your stats current.

May 28 14 07:58 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Just put a full-body cell phone shot, wearing a swimsuit, or bra and panties, on your profile page.
I do this, and update the snapshot every couple months, because I'm a recreational athlete, and weigh a lot more on a scale than I would appear to weigh, to most people. If you just looked at my height and weight, you might assume I'm significantly more voluptuous than I am. Since I started posting the cell phone pictures, I've had a lot less people asking me to email them unedited shots, and fewer inquiries as to, "Have you gained/lost weight since X,Y&Z photos were taken?"

The cell phone bikini snapshot clears up a lot of potential problems. I wish I'd thought of doing it a long time ago

May 28 14 09:10 am Link

Model

MartaBrixton

London, England, United Kingdom

Celine Sophia wrote:

Wow, I am completely opposite, I lose weight when I get stressed (so I try to avoid it).
15 lbs is NOT a lot. If you got bigger in the right places you should be happy about it wink Did it change your proportions? It's possible that you look even better now.

Why don't you do a TF shoot? Instead of uploading a mirror selfie (remember once something goes online it will stay there forever so you need to make sure you are ok with having your lingerie mirror selfie online). Or even ask someone to take a picture of you wearing leggings or shorts and a tight top (again I wouldn't advise you to go for lingerie in this case).

Anyway, you are a very beautiful girl, I wouldn't worry too much about gaining a few pounds, I'm sure you still look great and if you keep exercising and eating well you will get back to a previous size, just don't rush it and don't starve yourself wink Good luck!

May 28 14 11:31 am Link

Model

Goodbye4

Los Angeles, California, US

May 28 14 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Dieting is simple, but because we are creatures of habit oh so hard to do.

So here is the simple rules... Calories In calories out!
You should be eating from 1000 to 1200 calories a day to lose weight.

If you shoot art nudes extra weight doesn't bother me, though I would just like to know. To be honest I care more about breakouts that occurred from stress.  That could be a deal breaker . Specially if I am paying than I need full disclosure .

I am a stress eater and a diabetic so I know what you're going through.

Be well

May 28 14 03:51 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I think easing the stress will help you the most and that is likely to stop the stressed out eating (is this action called 'binge eating'?), ultimately solving the problem of the weight gain.

smile

Best wishes!

May 28 14 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Arebalo

Orange, California, US

Celine, first of all, I have been waiting for you to turn 18 years of age. I travel through the Santa Barbara area, a lot, and have seen your posted work. Your temporary weight gain would not effect my scheduling a shoot with you. However, I would want you to be honest with me when I contacted you to discuss the photo shoot. I am not  adverse to your posted height, weight, waist and hip dimensions. Anticipate the weight to drop when you go to college and take Dance and a Physical Fitness class.

May 28 14 04:32 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
Dieting is simple, but because we are creatures of habit oh so hard to do.

So here is the simple rules... Calories In calories out!
You should be eating from 1000 to 1200 calories a day to lose weight.

If you shoot art nudes extra weight doesn't bother me, though I would just like to know. To be honest I care more about breakouts that occurred from stress.  That could be a deal breaker . Specially if I am paying than I need full disclosure .

I am a stress eater and a diabetic so I know what you're going through.

Be well

under-nourished, poverty stricken populations in Africa often eat around 900 calories per day.

It's actually inadvisable to eat that little, without the supervision of a physician.

It will slow the metabolism down over time, and contribute to increased likelihood of gaining any lost weight back, plus more.

May 28 14 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Grit City Pinups

Seattle, Washington, US

Koryn wrote:

under-nourished, poverty stricken populations in Africa often eat around 900 calories per day.

It's actually inadvisable to eat that little, without the supervision of a physician.

It will slow the metabolism down over time, and contribute to increased likelihood of gaining any lost weight back, plus more.

This is true. An excellent resource is Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook, by Nancy Clark (of course). If you're exercising, you should actually increase your caloric intake.

By severely restricting calories, your body thinks its starving, and you will start to have cravings. It might even start to digest muscle to keep itself alive.

May 28 14 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Models inc

Dayton, Ohio, US

Grit City Pinups wrote:
This is true. An excellent resource is Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook, by Nancy Clark (of course). If you're exercising, you should actually increase your caloric intake.

By severely restricting calories, your body thinks its starving, and you will start to have cravings. It might even start to digest muscle to keep itself alive.

May 28 14 06:01 pm Link

Model

Celine Sophia

Thanks, the stats are current.  I just don't want to show up at a shoot and the photographer be disappointed because I'm not what he expected. I want to be professional at all times and succeed as a model and will do whatever I takes to make that happen.  BTW I turn 18 in two weeks!

May 28 14 06:07 pm Link

Model

lynne g

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Er, are you sure you're not gaining weight because you're... Turning 18? The female body stops developing in black women around this time, in caucasions as late as 21. So it's completely normal to gain weight until you hit a "set point". 1000 calories is simply not enough for a young woman your age and height. Ignore that. Dependant on many factors different diets may work. To find the right one for your body type and lifestyle go to a nutritionist/dietician. Most insurances will cover this especially if you can get your primary physician to write you the consult for "unexplained weight gain". As a medical health professional I hate to say it, but you may be Displeased to hear your weight is healthy. For our body type looking like your 16 year old self may be unhealthy for you. It may not be the stress but simply your body growing up. Part of normal healthy development. Not all women are supposed to be a size two. I'm fact most women should not be a size two, which is why it's hard to be a fashion model because most women cannot be one. This doesn't mean you can't model. It may just mean you might consider switching your area of modeling interested one that embraces women with curves.  You are a beautiful young lady. Just consider... At this time in your life it's possible this transition is something to embrace instead of something to fight.

May 29 14 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I search by stats and look for recent images

May 29 14 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

You're a beautiful young lady.  Don't get down on yourself because of a little give and take. 

Your body will adjust it's metabolism if it thinks it might die, and STRESS is a signal that tells your body it might die.  So if you can learn to manage or avoid stress now, you will live longer and happier in the long run. 

For a diet?  I've met some people who had success with becoming a vegan for a few weeks.  Though, I wouldn't recommend that diet forever, it can be a good learning experience since Plant-based foods are the best for your health.

May 29 14 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

You're a baby, and one of the most beautiful women on this site.

Watch your carbs, emphasize protein, exercise--I mean aerobic--and, controversially, fats are no longer the demons they used to be.

Congratulations on your birthday!

Have fun.

Whatever you've been doing in the past has worked well.

And... it's not my business, but it seems that you've been devoted to, and disciplined, in dance.

If it makes you happy, do it.

RBD

May 29 14 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Update the info on your page and don't worry about it.

17yrs old, fuggetabout it.......

May 29 14 06:15 pm Link

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

I loose weight without me even paying attention, I blame body chemistry for that. Like others have said, 15 lbs is NOT a lot in the grand scheme of things. For example: I've lost 20 lbs over the span of a month and I literally didn't even notice (I only did because I happened to step on a scale). Everyone's body distributes and looses their body fat a little bit differently. If you think your body looks relatively similar to your updated port, I wouldn't worry about it.

Like others have pointed out, you're young. Your body will 'bounce back' quickly. Unless you have a specific medical condition that makes you super sensitive to your weight, there's no need to worry. If you have an eating disorder or suspect you do, talk to a therapist. If you're worried about your weight, talk to your doctor or a nutritionist.

Don't count calories. That's a terrible way to try and manage your food. You shouldn't be worrying about that anyway. As others have said, your body is still growing (after the initial growth spurt, people tend to grow about 1 cm each year until they're in their mid-late 20s) and you're still riding out the last of your teen years. Have fun and focus on your hobbies and interests smile

May 29 14 08:32 pm Link

Model

Celine Sophia

The weight gain was definitely due to stress, I had three family members and two close friends die in a year.  Graduating and turning 18 in two weeks is also a big adjustment. I'm now looking forward to college and seeing what the future has in store.  My body image is also probably a little skewed also by the fact I have three older brothers who love to torment me about my weight gain. My confidence has definitely slipped, actually posting about my weight gain on this forum has been helpful in putting it into perspective. I now see I have time to lose the weight in a healthy way and that I can still model while I do so. All the responses have been helpful, thanks again to everyone!

May 30 14 12:03 am Link

Model

Axioma

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

recommended reading: http://www.stumptuous.com/fuck-calories

it's a fun read and really made a lot of sense to me.

May 30 14 12:55 am Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Be careful of your sugar intake...a lot of weight gain is caused by consuming too much sugar.

May 30 14 04:02 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

A girl who is 2 weeks shy of 18 is done growing. Period. The vast majority are done growing at 16. I don't know where people are getting their information. Now boys are a different story.

May 30 14 07:45 am Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

15 lbs is a huge amount. I gained 10 lbs and had to purchase an entirely new wardrobe. I would definitely say something as well as post an updated (professional) photo. That's what your portfolio is for-- showing what you look like.

May 30 14 07:48 am Link

Model

Koryn

Isis22 wrote:
A girl who is 2 weeks shy of 18 is done growing. Period. The vast majority are done growing at 16. I don't know where people are getting their information. Now boys are a different story.

I was my full, adult size at around 11 years old. I can still fit into my 6th grade graduation dress. I weigh more on a scale now, because of added muscle mass due to athletic activities, but my measurements aren't much different from what they were when I was a pre-teen, and that was 15 years ago.

May 30 14 07:49 am Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

Steve Arebalo wrote:
Celine, first of all, I have been waiting for you to turn 18 years of age. I travel through the Santa Barbara area, a lot, and have seen your posted work. Your temporary weight gain would not effect my scheduling a shoot with you. However, I would want you to be honest with me when I contacted you to discuss the photo shoot. I am not  adverse to your posted height, weight, waist and hip dimensions. Anticipate the weight to drop when you go to college and take Dance and a Physical Fitness class.

Wow, you're assuming a lot here, bro. First, you're assuming that she wants to shoot with you. Secondly, you're assuming she wants to spend her time taking fitness classes. Thirdly, you are assuming she wants to lose weight. It's pretty rich that you are setting your requirements for even discussing a shoot with you when she hasn't even said she's interested.

May 30 14 07:51 am Link

Model

Celine Sophia

V Laroche wrote:

Wow, you're assuming a lot here, bro. First, you're assuming that she wants to shoot with you. Secondly, you're assuming she wants to spend her time taking fitness classes. Thirdly, you are assuming she wants to lose weight. It's pretty rich that you are setting your requirements for even discussing a shoot with you when she hasn't even said she's interested.

Actually if you read my post and profile you would see that I am interested in losing weight and I will be going to college in the fall as a dance major.  He didn't assume much of anything just did a little bit if reading. Don't be so hard on the guy. I appreciate all comments even negative ones.

May 30 14 07:59 am Link

Retoucher

Orenj Haro

London, England, United Kingdom

You are 17 going on 18 and growing into a woman... Does any 17 year old keep weighing the same as a 15, 16 year old? The answer is no! Dont worry so much. Those extra pounds do not make you fat, they will make you a bit curvier at most, in the right places, you are still maturing.

May 30 14 09:09 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Celine Sophia wrote:

Hello,

While I may be in denial myself over a recent 10lbs that has yo-yod on me since January I updated my profile when I realized the yo was longer than the return to the yo. sad

So, once you realized that the bit of weight gain is sticking around is a good time to update. Oh darn, I better see if I need to update mine again, (had a rough time since the end of February actually.)

I think honest is best and yes. I also like to keep pictures of both of my sizes in my portfolio so I can let the photographer know if I am more towards one or the other.
Jen
p.s. edit: Oh! you are youthful...I still believe in being honest, if the weight becomes one that is lingering a bit, go ahead and list it. You can always list the return too.

Eugenya wrote:
Be careful of your sugar intake...a lot of weight gain is caused by consuming too much sugar.

Oh yes, for me, my sugar comes in the form of Merlot and its been consistent lately. Heck it may as well be a cup of ice cream, right?

May 30 14 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Warrenjrphotography-SJ

Hammonton, New Jersey, US

As a photographer, a model putting on an extra 15LB's is not a big deal (at least in my opinion). With the right angle, lens, and pose you can even make a model that is 30LB's overweight look lean.

Also, I'd try eating a diet higher in fiber and carbohydrates (also low in sodium to keep water weight down) if you want to lose the weight quick and easier (one gram of carb's only has 4 calories yet a gram of fat has 9 calories).

So that means eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, starches like potatoes, beans, and sauces and avoiding dairy and any meats with fat in them (pretty much all meats besides lean seafood).

May 30 14 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Warrenjrphotography-SJ

Eugenya wrote:

This is bad advice.

When's the last time you saw a fat fruitarian or low fat vegan?

A gram of carbs (long chain sugar) only contains 4 calories, a gram of fat contains 9 calories...if you don't believe me look at the bottom of any nutritional information box on food and it will say this.

Fat comes from eating foods high in fat and low in fiber.

I can sit on my butt all day and stay thin because I eat a ton of sugar, carbs, and foods high in fiber.

Ripe Bananas for example are almost all sugar yet I'd love to see someone try to get fat eating them at around only 100-120 calories each.

May 30 14 11:02 pm Link

Model

Izrah

Elk Grove Village, Illinois, US

Celine Sophia wrote:

Everyone's weight fluctuates naturally, whether you've put on weight or not. (If you want your scale to read your lightest weight, weight yourself at noon, just fyi.)
As long as your stats reflect your current weight don't sweat it.  Or if you've gained weight but don't look it, like you've gained muscle mass, leave it as is. 
If you take a look at my portfolio you can clearly see I weight more in some photos than others even though it's only a 10lbs difference at most.   

Of course if it bothers you to have slightly different sizes of yourself in your portfolio that's your decision.  If you want to take a small break until you get the extra off, do that.  If you still want to shoot, do that.  Simple. :]

May 30 14 11:22 pm Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Warrenjrphotography-SJ wrote:

This is bad advice.

When's the last time you saw a fat fruitarian or low fat vegan?

A gram of carbs (long chain sugar) only contains 4 calories, a gram of fat contains 9 calories...if you don't believe me look at the bottom of any nutritional information box on food and it will say this.

Fat comes from eating foods high in fat and low in fiber.

I can sit on my butt all day and stay thin because I eat a ton of sugar, carbs, and foods high in fiber.

Ripe Bananas for example are almost all sugar yet I'd love to see someone try to get fat eating them at around only 100-120 calories each.

It's not bad advice, at all.  I don't appreciate you saying that. 

I was talking about processed forms of sugar, especially candy, cake, cookies, etc.  I wasn't talking about fruit and more complex carbohydrates, like brown rice and vegetables. 

She said she was stressed recently.  I know that when I'm under more stress I tend to crave candies, cookies, chocolate, things like that. 

Also, fruit juices and pops contain a lot of sugar, as do specialty drinks from coffee shops, like mochachino's (spelling?)  and the like...  A lot of those drinks can contain more than a thousand (empty) calories.  Many people don't know that.

May 31 14 09:06 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Koryn wrote:

Odd how that works.

You use something to restrict or stop one thing.  Then once you go off it, it comes back with a vengeance.

Doc gave me Prevacid for GERD.  Once I stopped, felt like I swallowed battery acid.

Friend has endometriosis and was taking some drug to slow her periods down (Lupron?) which would stop her uterine wall scarring and pain.  Once she stopped (Long duration of the Rx drug.), she almost bled-out and passed out on the floor at work.  Had to be taken out by ambulance.

I know three gastric bypass people who are back up to their normal weight post-op, and maybe even heavier now too.  Stopped their large meals, but they eat more small ones.

Can't win.

May 31 14 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Warrenjrphotography-SJ

Eugenya wrote:
It's not bad advice, at all.  I don't appreciate you saying that. 

I was talking about processed forms of sugar, especially candy, cake, cookies, etc.  I wasn't talking about fruit and more complex carbohydrates, like brown rice and vegetables. 

She said she was stressed recently.  I know that when I'm under more stress I tend to crave candies, cookies, chocolate, things like that. 

Also, fruit juices and pops contain a lot of sugar, as do specialty drinks from coffee shops, like mochachino's (spelling?)  and the like...  A lot of those drinks can contain more than a thousand (empty) calories.  Many people don't know that.

Candy and pure sugar based snacks are fine as long as they are fat free.

The process of turning sugar into fat is too difficult on the body so contrary to popular belief you excrete all of the unused sugar instead of it turning to fat.

Fruit juices are great as they contain no fat.

A can of Coke doesn't even contain near 1,000 calories (You'd have to drink around 10) so I doubt any of those drinks come close to a thousand calories unless they have fat in them.

Contrary to popular blief you havr to eat more to lose weight.

When you eat your body's metabolism speeds up and your body doesn't go into starvation mode and tries to hold onto everything you eat.

If you eat all of the fruits, starches, vegetables, beans, and grains a long with sugar that you want you will actually lose weight.

You wear the fat that you eat.

May 31 14 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Steve Arebalo

Orange, California, US

Eugenya wrote:

Eugenya is correct. In my youth, I worked out with body builders, weightlifters, and professional athletes. Although I did not compete, I learned a lot of tricks regarding the body's metabolism. 

Fructose will put weight on an individual rapidly. It is "fruit sugar" found in fruit juice and many other drinks. If a person is dieting they should not drink fructose. I would also encourage avoiding the sweetener "aspartame." I  suggest low-calorie drinks that use a sweetener such as "splenda." 

Fresh fruits are an excellent substitute to curb the "sweet tooth." I strongly encourage avoiding soft drinks entirely. Find a lo-cal flavored water or juice.

Try riding or walking on a stationary machine a hour a day at low tension. Many make the mistake of machine riding or walking at higher tension to burn more calories. The problem is that it builds leg muscle mass similar to squats. To sculpt the legs and lose weight think "lower tension and longer time." If you like the outdoors, walking, jogging or running are always good for the heart.

It is the same principle while lifting weights. Lower weight and more reps to sculpt. Heavier weights and lower reps to build muscle mass.

I have reached the stage in the forums of not responding to my critics. People believe what they want, "personal perception is individual reality." Some people like to search for conflict. At my age, I do not feel that I need to explain myself or background for naysayers.

Celine, I appreciate your support to one of my critics. You are correct. I did review your post and profile. At eighteen, take a college dance and physical fitness class coupled with a reasonable diet and expect the weight to drop. Anticipate me to contact you for a possible photo shoot in the Camarillo area prior to the first semester. It is always the model's choice to shoot or not.

May 31 14 03:35 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Warrenjrphotography-SJ wrote:

Candy and pure sugar based snacks are fine as long as they are fat free.

The process of turning sugar into fat is too difficult on the body so contrary to popular belief you excrete all of the unused sugar instead of it turning to fat.

Fruit juices are great as they contain no fat.

A can of Coke doesn't even contain near 1,000 calories (You'd have to drink around 10) so I doubt any of those drinks come close to a thousand calories unless they have fat in them.

Contrary to popular blief you havr to eat more to lose weight.

When you eat your body's metabolism speeds up and your body doesn't go into starvation mode and tries to hold onto everything you eat.

If you eat all of the fruits, starches, vegetables, beans, and grains a long with sugar that you want you will actually lose weight.

You wear the fat that you eat.

http://www.tacobell.com/nutrition/information

There are a dozen drinks at Taco Bell that contain 1134 calories. NO fat, pure carbs and yes, empty calories. Your body doesn't care if the calories come from a drink or from food, you will gain weight regardless if you are taking in more than you are burning.

May 31 14 04:04 pm Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

Calories in calories out is a load of bull, the systems involved in your body are more complex than that- but it's a nice simple unit that makes selling things easier. You don't have an incinerator in your stomach, you are not actually "burning" food. That's how a calorie is measured, by actually burning food in a calorimeter. It doesn't take into account the significantly more complex chemical processes that happen in a human being.

May 31 14 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Celine Sophia wrote:
The weight gain was definitely due to stress, I had three family members and two close friends die in a year.  Graduating and turning 18 in two weeks is also a big adjustment. I'm now looking forward to college and seeing what the future has in store.  My body image is also probably a little skewed also by the fact I have three older brothers who love to torment me about my weight gain. My confidence has definitely slipped, actually posting about my weight gain on this forum has been helpful in putting it into perspective. I now see I have time to lose the weight in a healthy way and that I can still model while I do so. All the responses have been helpful, thanks again to everyone!

First of all, I want to say I'm sorry to hear of the difficult losses you have indured of loved ones.  That's really hard to take, especially when so young!  -cyber hugs-

Brothers teasing you isn't to be taken too hard.  It's them joking and being sillly, BUT they may not understand how mean it is, and that it hurts your self esteem.  You can say something to them about it, or ignore them while knowing that developing thicker skin will make you stronger.  Am I right?  I hope so!

I don't see 15 pounds weight gain as being anything devastating for you.  Much of the advise given has been excellent, especially the part about having an updated full figure selfie of you in a bathing suiit.  It's not that I'm about ready to come down to Santa Barbara to hire you to model swimsuits soon, it's just that honesty is a quality I look for in people I work with ... and a model that is honest as you are is wonderful! 

Best wishes to you!  smile

May 31 14 05:47 pm Link