Forums > Model Colloquy > Are You Self Conscious about your Ears ?

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Lately I have run into a streak of ( female ) models who are self conscious about their ears ie wanting to have them covered by their hair during shoots - which has led some frustration on my part at times as I am an Ear Man

smile

Is this common ?

Aug 28 14 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Garry k wrote:
Lately I have run into a streak of ( female ) models who are self conscious about their ears ie wanting to have them covered by their hair during shoots - which has led some frustration on my part at times as I am an Ear Man

smile

Is this common ?

tell them that their ears are beautiful (which they are), and let them know that you aren't photographing just their ears, you are also photographing their beautiful eyes, their beautiful shoulders, their beautiful clavicle, etc. etc.

Aug 29 14 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

L A U B E N H E I M E R wrote:

tell them that their ears are beautiful (which they are), and let them know that you aren't photographing just their ears, you are also photographing their beautiful eyes, their beautiful shoulders, their beautiful clavicle, etc. etc.

this really does not answer my question , a question i have asked of models

Aug 29 14 12:33 am Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

Garry k wrote:

smile

Is this common ?

Since March of this year, I too, have run into this "MY EARS ARE SO HUGE/ugly/nappy" issue.
Out of the many, Only one of the women, so obsessed with their ear look, actually had reason to be self conscience.

Aug 29 14 12:45 am Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

Yes, have you seen mine uncovered?
yikes
In the first photo in my portfolio, you'll see my ear issue.

Aug 29 14 04:51 am Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

No.  I'm O.K. with my ears.

I'm not O.K. with my belly button, though...

Aug 29 14 07:19 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

I have weird ears. They are small but stick out and I don't really have earlobes.

I used to be really self-conscious, but now I love them.

I HATE when they "peek" out through my hair. I don't mind them showing, but I don't need any of this halfsies crap.

Aug 29 14 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Garry k wrote:
Is this common ?

Not in my experience.

Aug 29 14 12:16 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Nope!

smile

https://www.filmwerk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/dumbo-baby.jpg

Aug 29 14 12:17 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Mark Salo wrote:

Not in my experience.

I've seen it a lot. It's not always spoken, but lots of girls are veeeerrrry careful about hair placement.

Aug 29 14 12:19 pm Link

Model

Dido_Wend

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

To be honest, I have never thought about my ears. They are there. They are two. I guess they are fine....
*goes to the bathroom mirrom to check them*

Aug 29 14 12:49 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I don't mind mine too much. I wouldn't mind them a tad smaller but I like the lobes and they don't stick out too much. I've never even thought about them at a shoot before.

Maybe just don't mention ears at your shoots?

Aug 29 14 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

The model in my profile pic is really sensitive about her ears, I guess she was teased a bit when she was younger and for the longest time didn't want her hair up for that reason.  They stick out a bit father than normal but it honestly doesn't bother me at all, I just pinch them in a bit in PS if their showing to keep her happy.

Aug 29 14 01:40 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I'm totally fine with my ears, in fact I wouldn't pay much attention to them other than normal things like washing them.

My legs, well that's another story. I have many bad veins which are very visible, and several dark scars that never fade from when those veins have caused problems in the past. That's what I'm self-conscious about the most.

Aug 29 14 01:45 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have tiny ears.

Aug 29 14 02:23 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Mine kinda stick out but idc.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120421/22/4f9391da3020d_m.jpg

Aug 29 14 02:52 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Laura Bello wrote:
The model in my profile pic is really sensitive about her ears, I guess she was teased a bit when she was younger and for the longest time didn't want her hair up for that reason.  They stick out a bit father than normal but it honestly doesn't bother me at all, I just pinch them in a bit in PS if their showing to keep her happy.

I've never asked to have my ears pinched in. The first time I noticed someone do it in PS, I was like, "Wait... Heeeey." But I'm well over that now. tongue

Aug 29 14 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Garry k wrote:
this really does not answer my question , a question i have asked of models

but it will help solve your "frustration".

carry on...

Aug 29 14 02:53 pm Link

Model

Chloe Selene

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

To each their own,  but my ears have never bothered me.  It had never even occured to me to be worried about how they look in photos.

Aug 29 14 03:04 pm Link

Model

Rockabella

Bargara, Queensland, Australia

I'm not self conscious of them. I've never really met anyone who is.. except for a few men who have unusually large ears! My only peeve about my ears is that I had them pierced when I was younger, but I rarely ever wear earrings nowadays. So it's annoying to have empty piercings in photos if the photographer neglects to shop them. :c

Aug 31 14 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120421/22/4f9391da3020d_m.jpg

GAHHHHHHHH! the bricks in this photo are huge.  the ears look fine.

Aug 31 14 04:01 pm Link

Model

Kirst

Derry, New Hampshire, US

my ears look pointy like elf ears in many photos, but i like it:D

Nov 19 14 01:26 am Link

Model

Nadia Ruslanova

Tampa, Florida, US

Garry k wrote:

smile

Is this common ?

Not really, mostly its belly area or acne that I hear girls worry about

Nov 19 14 07:51 am Link

Model

Torttunaattori

Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland

I once found out through the critique forum that my ears are not my best feature. OK. I can certainly live with that! In other words: no, my ears don't bother me. There's more bothersome bodyparts wayy more disturbing than my ears big_smile

Nov 19 14 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

They are supposed to stick out.  That helps us hear...  big_smile

Nov 19 14 02:34 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Garry k wrote:

smile

Is this common ?

I do not mind my ears. I have noticed the younger generation, (friends and photographer friends, all women,) constantly encourage me to cover my ears as if there was something wrong with them.

Jen

Nov 19 14 06:05 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Torttu Doris wrote:
I once found out through the critique forum that my ears are not my best feature. OK. I can certainly live with that! In other words: no, my ears don't bother me. There's more bothersome bodyparts wayy more disturbing than my ears big_smile

I once found out through the critique forum that someone though my best feature was my ears...not sure why or what they were saying.
Jen
p.s. didn't care

Nov 19 14 06:12 pm Link

Model

officertwerk

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

My ears show in my pictures, but I also just recently noticed them and thought to myself, "Ew, I really don't like my ears and wish they were covered up".

Nov 19 14 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

nolongerhere

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

I have not run into this specifically, at least not recently enough to remember, but I find that most models (and people in general) have some festure or body part they hate or are sensitive about. Often it is the thing I like most about them.

Nov 19 14 10:23 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

I don't like my ears.

Nov 20 14 12:24 am Link

Photographer

BarryH

Taipei City, Taipei City, Taiwan

My wife (a former model) has rather peculiar ears. I love her anyway.

Nov 20 14 03:15 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Suggestion would be something to make one's hair fuller, that or hair extensions or a wig to keep them from poking out.

Having worked with some with super-thin hair, the MUAH person tossing a $30 wig on them makes a huge transformation.

Nov 20 14 05:29 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:
I don't like my ears.

It is very considerate that you keep those things hidden most of the time!! tongue

Nov 20 14 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Of course. Models who like their ears, might have short hair.  (smile)

Nov 20 14 12:38 pm Link