Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Manual Transmissions

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

BlueMoonPics wrote:
I used to drive a stick.  Loved it!
The only time I didn't like it was when driving in Manhattan.
Come to think of it, I hate driving in Manhattan no matter what.

I had a manual in the city for about a year.  That's all I could take.

Actually, it wasn't that bad in the city.  The real dealbreaker was the trip I took down to the Jersey shore.  It took 6 hours in traffic at an average speed of 20 mph.  I wouldn't have liked it in an automatic, but it was hell in a manual.

Sep 04 14 07:00 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I have 4 to 6 speed manuals in a range of cars, from a '39 Willys Jeep, to a '68 big block Vette, to a nice 6 speed in a 2013 souped up Wrangler, love them all  .  .  .  BUT, I recently drove a 5 series BMW with an 8 speed automatic paddle shift  .  .  .  I might be gettin' old, but, that was pretty fun, especially in "sport" mode  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Sep 04 14 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

I had a 1998 4x4 Ford Ranger for about 160,000 miles that had a switch on the dash that flipped from 2WD to 4WD, and could also cut all the gear ratios in half.

I found the super low gears to be useful in a variety of situations. Getting out of soft sand, over rocks or over the top of snow was only the beginning. I could do things hauling a heavy utility trailer up steep inclines with a 6 cylinder engine that I could not have done without them.

It was a good truck. I'm sorry I sold it at 160k miles. All it needed was a valve job and it's first clutch job and it probably would have been good for another 160k. I hope the guy appreciated what he was getting for $3,500.

For a light truck, the functional utility value was very high. I'm always hauling boards and tools, etc., and my 6'x9' open top utility trailer.

https://www.pbase.com/schutze/image/157247936/medium.jpg

https://www.pbase.com/schutze/image/157247937/medium.jpg

Sep 04 14 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

sospix wrote:
I have 4 to 6 speed manuals in a range of cars, from a '39 Willys Jeep, to a '68 big block Vette, to a nice 6 speed in a 2013 souped up Wrangler, love them all  .  .  .  BUT, I recently drove a 5 series BMW with an 8 speed automatic paddle shift  .  .  .  I might be gettin' old, but, that was pretty fun, especially in "sport" mode  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Kind of hate the notion of an 8-speed...  It's just a MPG saving trick. 

Once I learned to use a stick, driving in heavy traffic never bothered me (i.e., all the shifting).  I don't really think about it.

Sep 04 14 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

It's hard to do wheelies with an automatic transmission

Sep 04 14 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Coffee in one hand. Cellphone in the other. Steering with my knees. Yep. I pretty much **need** an automatic. tongue

Sep 04 14 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Lohkee wrote:
Coffee in one hand. Cellphone in the other. Steering with my knees. Yep. I pretty much **need** an automatic. tongue

You can't do that with a stick?

tongue

Sep 04 14 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
You can't do that with a stick?

tongue

Hue faced the Viet Cong. Do you really think she's going to worry about me waiving a stick at her? We might make it out of the driveway after she finished laughing at me (could take a while). tongue

Sep 04 14 08:09 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Brother got the task of teaching his two granddaughters to drive.

He bought an old Saturn stick-shift for $2K to do it figuring they wouldn't be able to get on their cell phone long enough as they had to keep their hands busy with the stick, and maybe think a bit more too.

So far so good, but they hate the stick.  No accidents with it yet so he's happy about that.  Once they graduate to the automatic, they'll probably get into a wreck from texting (Since they seemingly cannot ever stop doing it, even in the same room to each other.).

One bad thing I noted about the Saturn stick shift is that one revs it up high for the next gear (much more than an automatic probably), and it smokes a bit.  Seems to drink oil too, and the girls have to manage that task too, but it's well used too.

He did take a tire off once and let it sit on bricks when they wanted to go somewhere.  Taught them how to change a tire which he thought was a good lesson for them to learn.  They didn't want to read the owner's manual to find the jack and work it, but they did.

Sep 04 14 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Lohkee wrote:

That's where elbows come in handy. lol

Sep 04 14 08:22 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
It's hard to do wheelies with an automatic transmission

This is me leavin' the driveway yesterday mornin'  .  .  .

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jnp-PKvNIZk/hqdefault.jpg

.  .  .  that Smart car has some REALLY good gears  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Sep 04 14 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Used to drive stick a lot, even had a Ford minivan with one but since getting a Porsche with their PDK I do not see myself ever buying a stick again in anything ever.

Sep 04 14 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Lohkee wrote:

My current truck is the first automatic I ever bought.  I had a company truck stick Pick Up prior and I learned you can't really talk in any kind of traffic with one.

Sep 04 14 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

Stephen Fletcher wrote:

My current truck is the first automatic I ever bought.  I had a company truck stick Pick Up prior and I learned you can't really talk in any kind of traffic with one.

Do you shift with your teeth or tongue...?  big_smile

Sep 04 14 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Motordrive Photography wrote:
The last slush box car I owned was 35 years ago, and I just prefer driving manuals.
However, the new generation of 7, 8 and 9 speed automatics are as far removed
from a Power-glide as an abacus to a PC.

and most folks, no matter what they think, can't shift as efficient as most automatics.  Most over-rev, slip the  clutch, and do other things that simply decrease the mileage they think that they're gaining.  Plus, how can they possibly text/talk on their phones, while juggling their iced, half caf lattes, and snap selfies with a manual?

Sep 04 14 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Rick Edwards wrote:
and most folks, no matter what they think, can't shift as efficient as most automatics.  Most over-rev, slip the  clutch, and do other things that simply decrease the mileage they think that they're gaining.  Plus, how can they possibly text/talk on their phones, while juggling their iced, half caf lattes, and snap selfies with a manual?

Idea: I had it all typed up, but decided not to send it. Someone, somewhere (likely in the mod room) would say it's too soapboxy. I think it's a good one, though.

Sep 04 14 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

ya,... i'm never in that part of town, unless im showing a visitor the touristy parts of SF. In which case, i do it like this:

https://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdo4hjb8OX1qmjpv3o1_500.gif

That's how you do it!!!

Sep 04 14 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

I liked manual transmissions and only put up with automatics, until I got an ex-police Caprice with the 700R4 electronically controlled 4-speed auto with police calibration.

That was a fun car to drive (5.7 V-8 with fuel injection, cop shocks, cop steering, cop brakes, etc., etc.), and the transmission adapted to my driving, so I could provoke a downshift or upshift at will with the gas pedal.

A couple of months ago, I traded my 16-year-old minivan in for a 2012 with a 6-speed AutoStick trans.  The 3.6 Pentastar engine is peaky, but the transmission has close gear ratios, so it's actually fun to drive.

After using the 6-speed for a while, I can see how an 8-speed auto would be even better, with no big gaps between ratios, and the ability to keep the engine in the fat part of the powerband all the time.

The transmission can be manually shifted with a slap of the lever to left or right, while it's in the Drive position.  It's easy to select 5th gear in rolling hills to get a bit more engine braking, which cuts down on having to dab the brakes to keep from rolling up on the slower drivers when going down hills.

Manual transmissions suit some cars and some people, but the modern auto trans is the way to go for me, especially when they can adapt to your individual driving style.

Sep 04 14 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Top Level Studio wrote:
I liked manual transmissions and only put up with automatics, until I got an ex-police Caprice with the 700R4 electronically controlled 4-speed auto with police calibration.

That was a fun car to drive (5.7 V-8 with fuel injection, cop shocks, cop steering, cop brakes, etc., etc.), and the transmission adapted to my driving, so I could provoke a downshift or upshift at will with the gas pedal.

If we dressed you in black pants, white shirt, black tie, black hat and really dark sunglasses, would you be Jake or Elwood? smile

Sep 04 14 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

David M Russell

New York, New York, US

Before I had kids, every car I owned had a manual transmission.

Now I have an automatic, and I will as long as I'm driving kids around.

Sep 05 14 05:04 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

I prefer manual but it's kind of hard to text while driving a manual. Especially when drunk.

Sep 05 14 06:30 am Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

David M Russell wrote:
Before I had kids, every car I owned had a manual transmission.

Now I have an automatic, and I will as long as I'm driving kids around.

Why?  I don't get the connection here. Do you view manual transmissions as unsafe or less safe?

I raised 2 kids and had manuals the whole time ( they are both over 21 now). I never had any issues driving them around with a stick...

Sep 05 14 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Fotticelli wrote:
I prefer manual but it's kind of hard to text while driving a manual. Especially when drunk.

Granted, she had an automatic transmission at the time but my sister managed to feed her son (food, that is), look for something on her GPS/phone, eat, swerve across 4 lanes of an interstate (good thing we were the only vehicle there at the time), eat AND get mad when I "accused" her of trying to kill us.  I'm not sure a manual transmission would've helped in that situation as we were going highway speeds so there wouldn't have been any need to change gears.

Sep 05 14 08:23 am Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

There was a time when that's all I would buy, but now that I am an OFB (old fat bastard), I don't want to deal with using a clutch and shifting.

Sep 05 14 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Pinup Fantasies

HIXSON, Tennessee, US

For daily drivers, sitting in heavy stop and go traffic, and living in a hilly city, I have learned to appreciate an automatic.

But my autocross play toy Mustang GT is a five speed. I can't imagine having a performance car with an automatic  - that's just wrong. I've always had some manual transmission car since I was 16 and got my first car - a 69 Z28.

Sep 05 14 03:25 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

kickfight wrote:
Living in San Francisco for several years pretty much nullified any interest in manual transmissions. I'll take automatics from hereonin, thank you very much.

However, if I get a yen to power up and down a set of gears, I have several two-wheeled vehicles that are perfect for the task. smile

This is my exception!!! In San Francisco NO manual transmisisons for me. smile nooooooo

Sep 05 14 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

Hello?

Manuals are archaic.

Real cars have paddle shifters on the steering wheel?

Oh well.

RBD

Sep 05 14 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I love, love love manuals. I also live in DC and commute over 100 miles a day, much of it on the Washington beltway. I compromised and bought a VDub GTI with the DSG dual-clutch transmission. It shifts like a demon, and acts like a manual in many situations -- like rolling backwards at a stop on a hill.

Sep 06 14 03:27 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Robb Mann wrote:
I love, love love manuals. I also live in DC and commute over 100 miles a day, much of it on the Washington beltway. I compromised and bought a VDub GTI with the DSG dual-clutch transmission. It shifts like a demon, and acts like a manual in many situations -- like rolling backwards at a stop on a hill.

This is not fun on a very steep hill.  It has happened to me in San Francisco.

Sep 06 14 03:31 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

This is not fun on a very steep hill.  It has happened to me in San Francisco.

Being able to smoothly start a manual trans on a steep hill w/o using the brakes is a real test of your skill! I learned to drive in a 1981 Oldsmobile Omega with a 4-speed, in a town loaded with steep hills.

Sep 06 14 04:39 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Robb Mann wrote:

Being able to smoothly start a manual trans on a steep hill w/o using the brakes is a real test of your skill! I learned to drive in a 1981 Oldsmobile Omega with a 4-speed, in a town loaded with steep hills.

You had a lot of practice!

Sep 06 14 04:42 am Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

Lovely Day Media wrote:

If we dressed you in black pants, white shirt, black tie, black hat and really dark sunglasses, would you be Jake or Elwood? smile

I'm a slim guy, so I'd be Elwood.

Sep 06 14 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Alison

Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom

My (oldish) Audi Quattro has a DSG 6 speed auto that changes faster than a manual.
That's my 250 bhp, 4Wd "go to work" car.

My (very old) fun cars (275 bhp V8 Landrover Defender, 170 bhp MG Midget) have 5 speed manuals.

You can't hold it in gear up to 7400 rpm in with an automatic gearbox.

... I have no idea which is more economical.

Sep 07 14 05:20 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

MB JenB wrote:

This is my exception!!! In San Francisco NO manual transmisisons for me. smile nooooooo

I had some scary experiences there!   big_smile

Sep 07 14 05:46 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Last week, the starter went out on my 18 year old Honda.  Since it's a stick, I was able to continue driving it to work until I could get to the junkyard this weekend.  I just had to park on a slope so that I could get it started again after work.

Try doing that with your paddle shifter.

Sep 07 14 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

https://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/Norman_Guy/1526791_812889978739142_1962606139_n.jpg

Sep 08 14 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel

Brooklyn, New York, US

I tried the Tiptronic on a Porsche, but it didn't feel remotely comparable to a manual transmission. Should it have?

Sep 09 14 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

Hugh Alison wrote:
You can't hold it in gear up to 7400 rpm in with an automatic gearbox.

The close-ratio 62TE six-speed auto in my Grand Caravan R/T upshifts at 6400 rpm whenever more than half throttle is being used.  And the revs only drop to about 5000 on the first two upshifts, keeping it in the fat part of the powerband.

It's far more fun to drive than I expected it to be.

A performance automatic in an actual sports car should be even more fun.

Sep 09 14 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

stevie oetjengerdes

Boston, Massachusetts, US

All Yours Photography wrote:
Last week, the starter went out on my 18 year old Honda.  Since it's a stick, I was able to continue driving it to work until I could get to the junkyard this weekend.  I just had to park on a slope so that I could get it started again after work.

Try doing that with your paddle shifter.

haha +1. popping the clutch is always fun...

Sep 10 14 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Stunnaful Photos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I like manual transmissions, but I like to do too much in my car (pick songs on my iPod, drink, eat, etc.) so an automatic suits me. But if I ever buy another sports car then I will get a manual. With the help of speech option on these new blu tooth devices I can focus on shifting gears while still changing my music and making calls.

Now, how to solve the drinking and eating while shifting gears.... Haha! smile

Regards,

Craig

Sep 14 14 04:23 am Link