Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Fall TV Season Talk

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

So, the new Fall TV season has started.  What are your thoughts?

Sep 25 14 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Overall, I'm pleased.  Some thoughts:

I still hate serial dramas:  I think I'm dropping some of last year's shows from my play list, including the popular "Sleepy Hollow" and "The Black List".  These shows are suffering from a flaw from all serial dramas -- the conspiracies have to get larger & larger until they get unbelievable & absurd.  There are other shows in danger of becoming part of this list, like "Bones".

There were some shows that surprised me:  I didn't think I would like shows like "Selfie", "Red Band Society", "Scorpian", and maybe "Madame Secretary" but I did. 

There were some shows that disappointed me:  Like "The Mysteries of Laura" because I like Deborah Messing, but otherwise the show is full of cliches, like a female cop who has her ex get promoted to be her boss.  I've seen that too many times.

Some shows are getting old:  Like NCIS, CSI, and Brooklyn 99.  (And maybe The Big Bang Theory).

I haven't decided whether I like "Gotham" yet.  I suspect it's a serial drama, in which case, I won't last long.

I noticed that "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD" is trying really hard, introducing some super powers, but it's becoming a serial drama, too.

Sep 25 14 12:26 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I don't watch sitcoms or any series really (that I can't find on Netflix) except Walking Dead. That's THE only series that I keep up with. So, it starts in 2 1/2 weeks and I'm kinda stoked.

Sep 25 14 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

: : S P O I L E R    A L E R T : :

Don't read anymore if you haven't watched Chicago Fire's first episode.

I hated that Shay died. Her character was one of the most interesting... and she kisses girls! tongue (LOL...j/k)

Also, Gotham looks pretty good so far. Red Band Society could be a sleeper hit.

Sep 25 14 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Wicked Photos

New York, New York, US

i like Gotham and Black-ish as well. Scorpion turned into a real hit for me. i am waiting for Fresh off the Boat to air.

Scandal is about to air in 9 mins so i am excited for that. after that is How to get Away with Murder which is produced by the same person. i like Sleepy Hallow but couldnt get thru the first episode. dont konw if i was tired or it just lost its fun. same for Shield

Sep 25 14 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

YAY for a new NCIS!

NCIS New Orleans is promising big_smile

Gotham is sweet- I adore the girl that plays Selina Kyle ! what a beautiful look she has, holy shit (of course I look at her as a photographer smile)

Sleepy Hollow- what a freaking disaster ! Ugh !

That's all i've gotten through so far...

Sep 25 14 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Three words:

Garfunkel and Oates.

Sep 25 14 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Big Bang Theory is tired. I'll keep watching it because it's decent but no longer brilliant. It faces the standard dilemma: How to stay fresh with the same formula - how to change the formula without losing the soul. Actually, I feel that way about the other things I've watched as well.

Blue Bloods stolid cop-defense posture is ringing a little hollow in view of what's been in the news. They could stand to mix that particular drama point up a bit.

Brian Diaz wrote:
Three words:

Garfunkel and Oates.

This really is a standout. Brilliant, and with BBT alumnae, no less.

Sep 27 14 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Y'know -- I have a theory that success is one of the worst things that can happen to a TV show.  Here's my details:

...  A show starts with relatively unknown talent,
...  The show becomes popular,
...  The cast wants to get paid.  A lot.  A big lot.
...  Eventually, the show becomes less profitable because of rising costs.
...  The show kills off a key character (to reduce salaries).
...  The cast finds other "outside" projects.
...  The cast & writers are not motivated to change anything.
...  Chemistry suffers.
...  If they are lucky, the show announces a final season.

It's kinda sad.

Sep 28 14 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Justin wrote:
Big Bang Theory is tired. I'll keep watching it because it's decent but no longer brilliant. It faces the standard dilemma: How to stay fresh with the same formula - how to change the formula without losing the soul. ...

I stopped watching when the guys got girlfriends -- that killed the original premise (and feel) of the show.   smile

Nothing looks especially good to me this year.

Sep 28 14 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Has anyone else noticed that many prime time shows have snuck in one or two more commercials per half-hour?

Sep 29 14 08:06 am Link

Photographer

NikkiMarieStudio

Fort Worth, Texas, US

The Walking Dead, Grimm, Once Upon A Time, The Goldberg's, Greys, Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Resurrection, The 100, & Brooklyn Nine-Nine

New shows I love: Gotham, Forever, Red Band Society

Sep 29 14 11:22 am Link

Photographer

NikkiMarieStudio

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that many prime time shows have snuck in one or two more commercials per half-hour?

YES!!!  So annoying

Sep 29 14 11:22 am Link

Photographer

NikkiMarieStudio

Fort Worth, Texas, US

I posted my thoughts too soon oops lol.  So far I like them but they are all just starting to come back.

Sep 29 14 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I don't watch many hour prime time shows, but I have noticed something in Mythbusters.

Around the 45-50 minute mark, they have a segment that is totally ancillary to the actual show, typically a fun little anecdote.  It lasts no more than a minute.  But it's between 2 full commercial blocks.  So for 6 minutes of commercials, you get 1 minute of show.  It's really a trick to annoy DVR users who skip commercials, but it annoys everyone.

Sep 29 14 11:42 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Waiting for "Vikings"....

Disappointed that Ray Donovan ended for the season last nigh though.

Sep 29 14 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Damon Strong

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

The only show I'm looking forward to is American Horror Story: Freak Show.  Kathy Bates as the bearded lady and Sarah Paulson as a woman with two heads!

Sep 29 14 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Somebody mentioned "Grimm" -- it's filmed here in town.  I run into them every once in a while (during my long walks).

Sep 29 14 02:19 pm Link

Model

justinf

Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia

Must watch shows for me..

Brooklyn Nine-nine
Southpark
Quick Draw
Key & Peele
Supernatural
Castle
About a Boy

Shows I'll probably watch but are losing my interest...

NCIS
Franklin & Bash (very weak writing this season so far)
New Girl

Sep 29 14 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

We just watched the first episode of Scorpion. Despite a little unreal ism, it was pretty awesome !

Sep 29 14 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

After being inside a courtroom a bit a few years ago, I don't think I'll ever get interested in a lawyer show.

Hey -- do people still watch TV "live"?  I record every show I watch, so I can zip past the commercials.  Even sporting events.  If I start recording a football game, I can start watching it an hour after kickoff, and I have caught up by the time the game ends.

Sep 30 14 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

For network fall TV, I'm still watching:

Big Bang Theory (haven't watched any of the new episodes yet, on my DVR)
The Blacklist
Modern Family (loved the first episode so far)
The Voice

The only new show I'm entertaining is Scorpion.

After the Blacklist's run, I'm done with any NBC drama series. I get invested after one season, and then they dump the show (e.g. Revolution, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, and they jerked with Chuck every season). I don't watch many drama series on network TV, but when I do, most seem to be on NBC, and they always seem to yank them before their time).

Brian Diaz wrote:
I don't watch many hour prime time shows, but I have noticed something in Mythbusters.

Around the 45-50 minute mark, they have a segment that is totally ancillary to the actual show, typically a fun little anecdote.  It lasts no more than a minute.  But it's between 2 full commercial blocks.  So for 6 minutes of commercials, you get 1 minute of show.  It's really a trick to annoy DVR users who skip commercials, but it annoys everyone.

There are several shows that do that. American Pickers is one, too, I believe. Annoying, but pretty smart by the network to combat channel-skippers (like me).

I also remember when commercial breaks were typically 3 minutes. On some shows, those breaks run 5-6 minutes. I'm going to get tendonitis in my thumb!

Sep 30 14 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Justin

After being inside a courtroom a bit a few years ago, I don't think I'll ever get interested in a lawyer show.

Understandable, since they butcher procedure and dramatize the slog that it is.

However, you can say the same about cop shows, doctor shows, spy shows, and so on. If they showed it as reflection of real life, you might as well have an insurance actuarial show.

Seriously, I understand how something's not watchable if it's not "real" enough to the viewer. But viewers generally don't want "real," not really.

Sep 30 14 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Justin wrote:
Understandable, since they butcher procedure and dramatize the slog that it is.

However, you can say the same about cop shows, doctor shows, spy shows, and so on. If they showed it as reflection of real life, you might as well have an insurance actuarial show.

Seriously, I understand how something's not watchable if it's not "real" enough to the viewer. But viewers generally don't want "real," not really.

Well, yeah.  I stopped watching "Grey's Anatomy" halfway through the first season when the "doctors" constantly argued or aired personal problem while standing over a patient in a bed.

And cop shows -- geez!
...  Cops who insist on being involved in personal cases (e.g. who killed
     their partner / mother / wife / whoever, and the captains who let them).

...  Cops who walk into the middle of the room & shout "clear" without
     checking all (or even most) of the hiding places, like behind the sofa.

...  Cops who rush in to a potentially dangerous situation without backup
     or even without calling it in.

...  Lab techs who become action heroes.

And when was the last cop show you saw that didn't have someone firing their gun?

But I tolerate it.

Sep 30 14 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

And when was the last cop show you saw that didn't have someone firing their gun?

But I tolerate it.

Yeah, Blue Bloods. It's a restful day when there's not a big firefight with bad guys and the older brother doesn't put a round in someone's chest. If it were anywhere near real life, besides being mired in paperwork for his whole life and never being back out on the street, the NY Times would be running a big feature on, "Why does the NYPD keep this cop who's killed 129 people?"

Like you, I tolerate it.

Sep 30 14 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Of no particular importance.

Sep 30 14 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Well, the pilot of Scorpions was great; the 2nd episode was okay.  I like Katharine McPhee, but her role on the team is kinda strange.

I really liked "Selfie", but Entertainment Weekly gave it a "C", which together means that it won't last.

I didn't like "Manhattan Love Story" -- I really didn't care for either of the main characters.  So, I guess that means it'll have a long run.

This season's "Ultimate Fighter" features only women fighters this time, with two nice fighters as coaches.  One of the women is kinda cute, but all the women are, umm, let's say "different" from my personal experiences.  It's interesting.

However, given the heightened atmosphere against domestic violence, it's kinda disturbing to watch interviews of women with black eyes, face stitches, bruises, and so forth.

Oct 02 14 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I really liked NCIS, so I had high hopes for NCIS New Orleans.

But now I think of it as "NCIS Light" -- it has the same structure as NCIS, but fewer people in the cast:  one less agent and no ME assistant.  Additional thoughts:
...  They are trying hard (too hard) to make New Orleans into a character.
...  The characters are trying much too hard to be New Orleans, and they
     don't quite pull it off,
...  There is not much "chemistry" between the cast members,
...  The token female agent just doesn't work; she's pretty & not much else.

I really wanted to like NCIS New Orleans, but it's already beginning to disappoint.

But what do I know?  I had similar complaints about NCIS LA, and it became one of the most popular shows on TV.

Oct 03 14 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I watched the pilot of the Fox sit-com, "Mulaney".  It was so terrible that I couldn't watch it to the end.  How does crap like that get on the air?

Oct 07 14 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

The premiere of "The Flash" was good.  I might watch it for a while, but it's a CW show, and I'm not the target audience.

Anyone notice that the CW shows tend to follow a strict profile?  The leads are all spectacularly attractive.  They are young, defiant of authority, and often make stupid choices.  In addition, there always is someone who is close to the main character and who is betraying them in some way.

So, for an old curmudgeon like me, "The Flash" might have much too much teen angst for me.

Thoughts?

Oct 09 14 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Cool Hand Mike

Jacksonville, Florida, US

The premiere of "The Flash" was good.  I might watch it for a while, but it's a CW show, and I'm not the target audience.

Anyone notice that the CW shows tend to follow a strict profile?  The leads are all spectacularly attractive.  They are young, defiant of authority, and often make stupid choices.  In addition, there always is someone who is close to the main character and who is betraying them in some way.

So, for an old curmudgeon like me, "The Flash" might have much too much teen angst for me.

Thoughts?

I enjoyed it but I'm a comic fan.

As of this Sunday :

Sunday : NFL, Walking Dead , Last Week Tonight
Monday : The Voice , NFL, WWE , Gotham
Tuesday : The Voice , The Flash, Agents of Shield
Wednesday : Arrow , South Park
Thursday : NFL
Friday : maybe Constantine in a few weeks (starts Oct 24)
Saturday : College Football if there is a good game.

Oct 09 14 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Both "Gotham" and "Agents of SHIELD" are (or are becoming) serial dramas, which I don't like much.  I've already taken these off of my watch list.

Oct 09 14 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Thoughts?

I liked it. I'll keep watching it for a while. It's cheese that won't raise my cholesterol.

Oct 10 14 08:03 am Link

Model

Lillian Faith

Savannah, Georgia, US

Once Upon a Time, American Horror Story, and the Walking Dead will be filling my DVR this fall. smile

Oct 12 14 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Wicked Photos

New York, New York, US

Homeland started and i havent seen any of it. ive been busy and kinda behind on my shows. some more of my usual sitcoms havent even aired yet. i guess it's good that i am being busy and away from the computer.

Oct 12 14 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

This season has its first casualty -- Manhattan Love Story has been canceled.  I can like romantic comedies, so I watched the pilot.  Well, I watched the first half of the pilot.  Didn't like her.  Didn't like him.  I'm tired of NYC being portrayed as the center of the universe.  The writing was bad.  I'm surprised it made it this far.

The "other" romantic comedy, "A to Z", is okay -- I'm watching it for now, but I wouldn't bet on a long run.

I'm surprised that "Mulaney" wasn't the first show to get canceled.

Which show do you think will get canceled next?

Oct 25 14 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Which show do you think will get canceled next?

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.   smile

Next new show to fall:  Utopia

Oct 25 14 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Jay  Edwards wrote:

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.   smile

Actually, Honey Boo Boo is already canceled -- the mom is dating a convicted child predator.

Oct 25 14 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Honey Boo Boo Cancelled
https://www.tweak3d.net/forums/imagehosting/34514b5b4b8f83919.gif

Oct 25 14 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Wicked Photos

New York, New York, US

anybody else watching Get Away With Murder? such an awesome show. thats kinda the only show i am watching now. pretty much with other things.

Boo Boo shoulda been off the air a long time ago.

Oct 25 14 09:08 pm Link