Forums > Photography Talk > Sony's New Cameras

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

I'm going to miss Caitin's expert advice on all things.

Nov 07 14 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Leighthenubian wrote:
The "New" 7D is a bunch of crap...basically a small incremental upgrade over the previous model. My E-M1 beats it at any use under ISO 6400. Matter of fact the previous 7D beats it strictly on image quality alone. It only get's better at higher ISO's and still lags behind Sony.

Canon just a$$-boned the market...not a single new innovation to compete.

How embarrassing....

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7582/15547718309_969ed63106_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7551/15113685344_e72c71b345_b.jpg

Canon got spanked like the Democrats in the Senate this week. Pathetic to ask for increasing amounts of money for old, stale technology.

Nov 07 14 10:52 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Leighthenubian wrote:
The "New" 7D is a bunch of crap...basically a small incremental upgrade over the previous model. My E-M1 beats it at any use under ISO 6400. Matter of fact the previous 7D beats it strictly on image quality alone. It only get's better at higher ISO's and still lags behind Sony.

Leighthenubian wrote:
How embarrassing....

I know real-world may be more telling than spec-world, but as an owner of an E-M1 as well, this is surprising, in a good way.

Nov 07 14 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

Mikey McMichaels wrote:

The last menu - the one with the format option. I don't remember which page it is.

I think it's labeled "EVF Color Temp"

Even with it working better now, its still not going to be my camera of choice in the studio. My 6D and D610 are much better suited for studio, and the picture quality is fairly similar between all of them.

Nov 07 14 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

CHAD ALAN wrote:

Leighthenubian wrote:

I know real-world may be more telling than spec-world, but as an owner of an E-M1 as well, this is surprising, in a good way.

Well not tooting E-M1's horn, but it's not a good sign for a company that's been widely criticized for selling stale technology at increased prices. The Sony's sell for less and deliver more.

Nov 07 14 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Leighthenubian wrote:

Oh please spare me.....the drama

Sony is not taking over anything. Panasonic has a lock on it in every way that counts: Price, features, performance and size.

The only thing Sony has in it's favour is the money to pursue new technology and industrial design.

Seriously..people were saying this kind on nonsense about Canon 4 years ago with the addition of 1080p video.

Slow your roll. It's early days yet.

Seeing that it doesn't take much for you to get dramatic, how about showing us how many people are switching over to Panasonic for their cameras?

Look. I'm not saying that Sony is the best thing since slice bread. But, the A7 cameras are the discussion in the photography industry. I haven't seen anyone or anybody talk about either adding one to their existing non Panasonic system or abandoning their system for one. It's the opposite with Sony.

Nov 07 14 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Legacys 7 wrote:

Seeing that it doesn't take much for you to get dramatic, how about showing us how many people are switching over to Panasonic for their cameras?

Look. I'm not saying that Sony is the best thing since slice bread. But, the A7 cameras are the discussion in the photography industry. I haven't seen anyone or anybody talk about either adding one to their existing non Panasonic system or abandoning their system for one. It's the opposite with Sony.

Something wrong with your browser and Google?

Trust your own judgement once you do some homework. I certainly did.

Ultimately I opted for the E-M1 from Olympus because of the the 5-axis stabilisation and good mainstream video features for my work. haven't had a complaint yet from a single client and I've done in excess of 60 hybrid portraits for my real estate clients this season.

If you haven't heard of anyone speak about the Panasonic GH2/3/4 for their business perhaps you should broaden your circle. This year alone I have travelled to Mexico, Belize, Dominican Republic, Spain, Morocco and Bahamas and my friends and associates are telling me that the price, features and size of the Panasonic makes it extremely attractive for video work.

Nov 07 14 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

I've been pondering a move to a Pentax K-5IIs or a K-S1. I shoot with a K-10 right now. That said, I sure would like to do a demo with the new Sony a6000. A photog I know has the new Fuji XT-1. I might get to try it out next week.

Nov 07 14 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Mikey McMichaels wrote:

I've been trying to figure out what you're referring to with shadow noise - shots you've seen, or taken or the one posted?

Keep in mind the one posted is with a Canon mirror less and the OP's point is that the Sony's are an improvement.

Also, there are three Sony's and the A7s is pretty unanimously considered the best lowlight/high ISO camera at the moment, so shadow noise won't be an issue.

Actually, that image in question says it was taken with a Canon EOS 1n. 
This camera:
https://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120505160419/camerapedia/images/2/20/Canon_EOS1N_2.jpg

You'll notice something odd about the back of this camera. 

She was complaining about it's high ISO noise in the shadows.
Perhaps she left again out of shame.

Nov 07 14 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Mikey McMichaels wrote:
I've been trying to figure out what you're referring to with shadow noise - shots you've seen, or taken or the one posted?

Keep in mind the one posted is with a Canon mirror less and the OP's point is that the Sony's are an improvement.

Also, there are three Sony's and the A7s is pretty unanimously considered the best lowlight/high ISO camera at the moment, so shadow noise won't be an issue.

Good Egg Productions wrote:
Actually, that image in question says it was taken with a Canon EOS 1n. 
This camera:
https://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120505160419/camerapedia/images/2/20/Canon_EOS1N_2.jpg

You'll notice something odd about the back of this camera. 

She was complaining about it's high ISO noise in the shadows.
Perhaps she left again out of shame.

Please Greg, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

Those who know me remember that I went to Kiev in 2002 with my EOS 1n's and 100 rolls of film. Canon Pro Services sent me an EOS D30 (anybody remember that camera?) to take with me, and by the end of my trip I was starting to use it. I came back with three rolls of film that I hadn't shot, and those three rolls are still on my desk. I never took another shot with a film camera (which gives you some idea about how old the picture I posted is!).

CPS got really pissed at me because I held on to the D30 until I could get my hands on the brand new (at the time) EOS 10D. (Hopefully everyone in New Jersey got over it.)

John
---
John Fisher
700 Euclid Avenue, Suite 110
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Nov 07 14 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Okay, today Gary Mercer and I took his Sony A77 Mark II to Michael Fryd's studio here in South Beach to do some studio photography with strobes. It was an adventure! Michael is pretty tech savy, and it didn't take him long to figure out how to make the A77 Mark II work like our Canon DSLR's, at least from a shooting stand point.

The key seemed to be turning off the "what you see is what you get" feature on the electronic view finder. It was in one of the menu's, and while I wasn't sure I'd found the right setting, everything worked out fine after I turned it off. Then when I looked through the view finder, the image looked pretty much like the optical view finder on my Canon. Mike even tried tricking it up by using a bright yellow backdrop (thinking maybe the electronic view finder would have a white balance problem with it). It may have been a little off color (the backdrop) but not enough so that it was apparent to me.

Then I started talking pictures (of Gary) in manual mode and with the color balance set to strobe. There was the expected very short blackout while the shutter opened and closed (as you would see with a regular DSLR), then Gary would appear back again, and I'd fire off another shot. Basically the camera seemed to me to function like any other DSLR (although it isn't a DSLR technically). When we reviewed the images on the back of the camera, they seemed to be properly exposed, and the colors seemed right (including the yellow backdrop).

The A77 Mark II is Sony's latest pro style electronic view finder camera, and only the third camera of this series (the others being the original A77 and the A99). I can't speak for any other electronic view finder camera, but from what I experienced today, I feel comfortable saying that if you are familiar with any high end DSLR, the Sony A77 Mark II will make you feel right at home in the studio. I am not commenting on image quality, this was not the point of today's quick test. What I wanted to know was would the A77 Mark II seem strange to me when I was looking through the electronic view finder and racking off shot after shot in the studio with studio strobe lighting.

It didn't.

Another welcome feature of the new A77 Mark II is that the hot shoe is a more conventional mount, which meant we didn't need any adapter to fit our electronic slave to fire the flashes. Sony has in the past (and with the original A77) used a proprietary hot shoe which meant you needed an adapter for most non-Sony products. This is yet another clue that Sony is reaching out to the general market of photographers not currently using Sony products.

Hopefully I will get an opportunity to use Gary's A77 Mark II (or perhaps Manny can get me an A99 to fool around with, hint, hint!) to do some model photography on location here in South Beach. What I want to check out is how I'm able to use the "what you see is what you get" feature of the electronic view finder with fill flash. I also want to evaluate the auto focus system, and it's ability to track movement while I'm shooting at a high frame rate. Now, this won't be NFL style photography, but it should give most reading here an idea about how these new electronic view finder Sony's will perform under conditions familiar to most of us.

Testing new gear is almost more fun than an adult should be allowed to have!

John
---
John Fisher
305 534-9322

Nov 07 14 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Leighthenubian wrote:
Something wrong with your browser and Google?

Trust your own judgement once you do some homework. I certainly did.

Ultimately I opted for the E-M1 from Olympus because of the the 5-axis stabilisation and good mainstream video features for my work. haven't had a complaint yet from a single client and I've done in excess of 60 hybrid portraits for my real estate clients this season.

If you haven't heard of anyone speak about the Panasonic GH2/3/4 for their business perhaps you should broaden your circle. This year alone I have travelled to Mexico, Belize, Dominican Republic, Spain, Morocco and Bahamas and my friends and associates are telling me that the price, features and size of the Panasonic makes it extremely attractive for video work.

And you didn't answer my question that I'd asked you to show us. But instead, like you've done in this thread as well as the other thread, you go into a bitch fit when either someone is asking an honest question or someone post something that you don't agree with. 

I'd love to see some of these so called global buddies of yours that you have, post their feedback vs you tap dancing out of my question with a doing my own research reply. Way to go, GI-Joe. wink

Nov 08 14 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Legacys 7 wrote:

And you didn't answer my question that I'd asked you to show us. But instead, like you've done in this thread as well as the other thread, you go into a bitch fit when either someone is asking an honest question or someone post something that you don't agree with. 

I'd love to see some of these so called global buddies of yours that you have, post their feedback vs you tap dancing out of my question with a doing my own research reply. Way to go, GI-Joe. wink

LOL comical...and the G.I. joe reference...lame

Sorry guy, I don't do lazy. get off your a$$ and do your own research because frankly you haven't said a thing that counters anything I've said.

Nov 08 14 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Leighthenubian wrote:

LOL comical...and the G.I. joe reference...lame

Sorry guy, I don't do lazy. get off your a$$ and do your own research because frankly you haven't said a thing that counters anything I've said.

Lame is when you can't give a decent reply without acting like a bitch. You do that very well. But you keep doing you. Nothing, "professional" in your reply in the other thread either when the o.p. asked an honest question. Waiting for those fabricated global buddies of yours to chime in and back you up. smile

Again. Way to tap dance out of that. Conclusion. You're full of shit. I have seen more photographers on here and other forums where I've read about them switching, adding etc over to Sony. So far I have not seen or read any Nikon or Canon users say that they're jumping ship for Panasonic.

Nov 08 14 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Legacys 7 wrote:

Lame is when you can't give a decent reply without acting like a bitch. You do that very well. But you keep doing you. Nothing, "professional" in your reply in the other thread either when the o.p. asked an honest question. Waiting for those fabricated global buddies of yours to chime in and back you up. smile

Again. Way to tap dance out of that. Conclusion. You're full of shit. I have seen more photographers on here and other forums where I've read about them switching, adding etc over to Sony. So far I have not seen or read any Nikon or Canon users say that they're jumping ship for Panasonic.

Oh name calling always works lol ;-)

Nov 08 14 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Claireemotions

Einsiedeln, Schwyz, Switzerland

Sony cameras are awesomeness havecavgrowing collection.  It started 11/2010 with the 850 ( not counting the a100 and film Minolta)
06/2011 sony hx100 for my wife and travel camera
04/2012 sony a77 as 2nd body for low-light weddings
11/2012 sony a99 for pro ice hockey a77 as 2nd body
1/2013 sony a99 as second body (sold the 850 and 77 for my wife)
12/201w sonyvrx100m2 as always with me camera
5/2014 machine borrows one of the a99 the a77 is a 3rd bod/ backup

Initially I got plenty of strange looks. Today for sports it is stimmt mostly Nikon/canon but many have also 1 sony camera. For landscape the sony is starting to dominate.

I love the evf both were studio and outside. After 2 years I am still learning new features of the camera. Can't wait for the next sony a-mount, the money is already set aside.
The old minolta glass has some great colors and consistency.  Mostly really cheap

Nov 08 14 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Moderator Warning!
This is a discussion about Sony's new camera.  Not about Canon.  Not about personal arguments.  Please keep this discussion on-topic.

Nov 08 14 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Kelvin Hammond wrote:

Even with it working better now, its still not going to be my camera of choice in the studio. My 6D and D610 are much better suited for studio, and the picture quality is fairly similar between all of them.

I'm inclined to go the same way, though I rarely shoot in a studio.

How did you trigger strobes while using the Sony?

Nov 08 14 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Mikey McMichaels wrote:

A generic hot shoe transmitter works with the Sony A77 Mark II.   We had no problems  with a CyberSync™ Trigger Transmitter.  I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a PocketWizard PlusX Transceiver.

Nov 08 14 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Well, since this thread is about Sony's New Cameras, I might as well share a pleasant experience today, an insignificant trivial event to some, but a nice one for me.

The pancake zoom lens Sony 16-50 E-mount lens has some really terrible barrel distortion.

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/310xvcuOFFL.jpg

But on newer cameras, while the distortion was clearly visible on the Live View screen, once I press the shutter, the JPG image on the LCD screen shows immaculate straight lines. The camera obviously did their job and processed the image as if I had an expensive accurate lens. (Note: the RAW image still shows barreling, obviously, but can be toggled/selected to correct the image like the JPG).

Here's the pleasant experience:

Today, I downloaded an update to one of my Sony E-mount cameras, just as a maintenance procedure.

Firmware update makes camera user smile.

After the firmware update...

The LiveView lens barreling on the pancake is all gone! Nada! Disappeared!

The camera is correcting the image in Real Time! Wow!

(Live View shows the corrected image, the lens behaving as if it were an expensive perspective straight line wide angle lens)

Now I can compose my framing in peace.

***While other camera makers are forced to make updates to correct complaints and defects from an angry mob, this Sony mob makes improvements on the fly without being provoked, improves it products without much fanfare. The users are caught unaware and are pleasantly surprised!***

Nov 09 14 03:21 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Biggest issue is the short battery life on the A7's. It gets worse when shooting mixed light flash mixed with daylight or tungsten which is what I tend to do..long exposures, location interiors and studio stills.

Saving grace is using a battery powered of the mains.

Nov 09 14 04:07 am Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

Mikey McMichaels wrote:

Michael Fryd wrote:
A generic hot shoe transmitter works with the Sony A77 Mark II.   We had no problems  with a CyberSync™ Trigger Transmitter.  I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a PocketWizard PlusX Transceiver.

Yeah, I used a PW TT5 with an adapter on my NEX7.  The Sony menus are roughly the same as far as options, so the settings that work on an A7 or A77 apply to the NEX 7 or A6000 as well.

I've been hesitant to get into the A7 line until there are more lenses availible, but following all the new developments.

Nov 09 14 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

WIP wrote:
Biggest issue is the short battery life on the A7's. It gets worse when shooting mixed light flash mixed with daylight or tungsten which is what I tend to do..long exposures, location interiors and studio stills.

Saving grace is using a battery powered of the mains.

I don't understand why battery tech is so varied with lithiums.  Or, maybe its just that mirrorless/EVF have shorter life because you're running a small TV on top of processing and mechanical functions.

The lithiums in my Godex 850/860 units have quality issues. 3 of 7 have gone bad in less then a year.

Nov 09 14 06:55 am Link

Photographer

WIP

There also quiet small batteries compared to others from Nikon cameras ect.
Only other thing being far to much information and settings in the menu.
Something I need to test is the sensor gamma S curve as in RAW you can change the settings in the camera.... more of that information you need to tweak and tweak.

Nov 09 14 07:16 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Sony is about to go through another revision of it's electronic view finder cameras with the addition of the A99r or A99 Mark II with Sony's 36 megapixel chip. It will be interesting to see if they address the battery life issue (certainly a grip solves most of that problem), as well as improving other user interface issues.

Another annoying thing, particularly on their highest end cameras, is the two memory card problem. The A99 Mark II will certainly have two card slots, but in the past that second card slot would take a Sony proprietary memory stick. Apparently these are still popular in Japan (I have no idea why), but are a non starter here in the US. So, two cards slots? Check! One unusable card slot? Checkmate!

One would hope the new A99 Mark II will have two SD card slots or one SD card and one CF card slot.

John
--
John Fisher
(305) 534-9322

Nov 09 14 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Another "oh wow" pleasant surprise on the Sony 16-50 OSS E-Mount lens behaving on a firmware updated camera which I noticed just now:

https://image03.digitalrev.com/finder/images/products/Sony/Sony-A6000-16-50mm_d.jpg

The lens is displaying the actual focal length in use on the upper right of the Live View screen in Real Time as I zoom in and out!

It is displaying it in true increments: 16mm... 17mm... 18mm... etc. as I zoom.

I used to get this focal length info only in playback of the JPG after the shot.

Now I get the focal length in Real Time! On screen!

"Oh wow"

Nov 09 14 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Kelvin Hammond wrote:

Mikey McMichaels wrote:

Yeah, I used a PW TT5 with an adapter on my NEX7.  The Sony menus are roughly the same as far as options, so the settings that work on an A7 or A77 apply to the NEX 7 or A6000 as well.

I've been hesitant to get into the A7 line until there are more lenses availible, but following all the new developments.

The hotshoe on the A7 is different.

As a result there a no cables allowing off camera flash made by any manufacturer at this point.

I assume the transmitters have the same issue.

Nov 09 14 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Mikey McMichaels wrote:

As a result there a no cables allowing off camera flash made by any manufacturer at this point.

I assume the transmitters have the same issue.

The Sony A77 Mark II has a standard size hot shoe, and will work with generic manual flashes and radio transmitters.   An off-the-shelf trigger like a PocketWizard, easily fits, and allows you to trigger any PocketWizard compatible studio strobe.

In our tests we had absolutely no problems triggering a common studio strobe (an Einstein) using a non-Sony radio receiver (A CyberSync transmitter).

You will have to ask someone else about having the camera control and meter off camera strobes.  I always manually set power levels for off-camera strobes, so I have no experience with off-camera TTL strobe metering.

Nov 09 14 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

InnerGlow Studios

Washington, District of Columbia, US

John Fisher wrote:
Another annoying thing, particularly on their highest end cameras, is the two memory card problem. The A99 Mark II will certainly have two card slots, but in the past that second card slot would take a Sony proprietary memory stick. Apparently these are still popular in Japan (I have no idea why), but are a non starter here in the US. So, two cards slots? Check! One unusable card slot? Checkmate!

Not true.  The a99 has dual card slots that both accept SD cards.  The second slot will optionally accept a Memory Stick.  Both slots are useable.

Nov 09 14 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

Mi[/quote wrote:

The hot shoe on the A7 is a standard hotshoe and accepts the same trigger as my Nikon

Nov 09 14 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

CZ Digital

Waco, Texas, US

Have to toss in my .02 -

I've been an avid Sony shooter for quite a while, having kept with the A mount from my Minolta film days.  There's no doubt that Sony has some cutting-edge features - I love the WYSIWYG aspect of their full-time live view, and the fully articulated screens of my a77 and a99 have come in extremely handy in a variety of conditions.  IS built into the body allows me to shoot handheld on wide primes down to absurdly low shutter speeds.  The cameras themselves have a lot of promise based on technology alone - I think Sony is the only camera manufacturer out there that's even trying to introduce new features into their bodies, and the results are mostly positive with a few relatively minor trade-offs.

All that being said, I'm slowly moving away from Sony products and currently have a huge majority of my gear up for sale.  When you're buying a camera for anything but strictly amateur use, you're buying into the whole ecosystem - not just bodies.  I've experienced firsthand over the years how shooting Sony has left me the odd man out on many occasions.  Living in Europe, I pay the "Sony tax", meaning their cameras and accessories are by far more expensive than their better-supported counterparts.  I cannot simply walk into most shops and play with / try out equipment that's compatible with my camera.  I can't find anyplace to rent equipment locally for special events.  Up until a few months ago, the only native mount flashgun option I had was practically unusable due to overheating issues.  When they changed to the semi-standard ISO flash mount, all the tons of accessories I had for the old mount would no longer work - sure there are flimsy adapters available, but they don't lock accessories properly and are prone to breakage and dropping their very expensive and practically worthless flashes.  Their new "standard" ISO mount has a row of contacts at the front, meaning I had to take a dremel tool to some of my gear to force it to work on a supposedly standard hotshoe.  I'm not sure if there's even a native mount TTL flash controller available for the new ISO shoe yet - It literally took 1.5 years of waiting after I got my first a77 before anyone bothered to make one for the old mount.

Sony has a horrible habit of pouring 110% of their attention and resources into releasing new bodies on a seemingly weekly basis, leaving their existing customers who've invested a considerable amount of money on their camera "systems" completely in the dark.  APS-C development took a back seat to mirrorless APS-C.  I bought a NEX-5 out of morbid curiosity. Nice camera, but there wasn't a single lens released for the E Mount worth owning until my NEX-5 was already two generations old.  Things eventually picked up for the E Mount, which was quickly tossed in the back seat for the new FE Mount.  Now all their attention is built around creating a supporting ecosystem for this new mount - and I'm 110% certain that they won't build this platform out to its potential either.  They seemingly have no direction - "let's throw a bunch of stuff against the wall and see what sticks" is their new corporate motto. 

Sorry to rant there, but this is the reality of a Sony shooter.  It's a constant struggle to maintain your sanity when the manufacturer you support shows absolutely zero consideration to the needs of a working photographer.  They'd rather sell me the newest gadget on the block instead of working to make subtle improvements on what COULD be an outstanding platform. 

/rant

Nov 09 14 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

I would have thought maybe a Pixel King radio would... But I guess the new shoe design has hidden TTL contacts at the front edge of the shoe?

My understanding is that the proprietary TTL flash is pretty good, but expensive compared to 3rd party brands. $499 is a bit hard to swallow for gn43.  The standard seems to be gn58 now.

Nov 09 14 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

CHAD ALAN wrote:
Where did Caitin go?

Sheesh.

My main concern is that newly signed agency girls leave this site.

The girls I want to shoot with.

And I don't--didn't--know too much about Caitlin, although she seemed like an able contributor.

Don't get me wrong.

For the permanent record, I'm not at all averse to you experts jousting about hardware.

Still, my preference would be to see more images, particularly of young agency qualified girls who have a chance of signing.

The kind of portfolio images that will get them real world jobs.

I'd like to emulate them.

RBD

Nov 09 14 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:
Another "oh wow" pleasant surprise on the Sony 16-50 OSS E-Mount lens behaving on a firmware updated camera which I noticed just now:

The lens is displaying the actual focal length in use on the upper right of the Live View screen in Real Time as I zoom in and out!

It is displaying it in true increments: 16mm... 17mm... 18mm... etc. as I zoom.

I used to get this focal length info only in playback of the JPG after the shot.

Now I get the focal length in Real Time! On screen!

"Oh wow"

Is that really useful to you?

Or just a gee wow thing?  I mean... I suppose it might be interesting to someone, but how does knowing the actual focal length in real time help?  I've never cared.  Ever.

I know if I want to compress the background, I go up.  If I want to include more in the image, I go down. 

I think people get so consumed by the technical stuff that they forget to look through the lens or the EVF, or whatever, and just LOOK at what they're shooting and what it looks like.  C'mon.  This isn't 1978.  We get instant feedback both before and after we take images now.  If you can't figure it out by looking at it, maybe photography isn't for you.

Or maybe I'm missing something valuable here.  If I am, I'd love to be educated.

Nov 09 14 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Is that really useful to you?

Yes.

Just because it isn't useful for you doesn't make it useless for others.

Nov 09 14 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Yes.

Just because it isn't useful for you doesn't make it useless for others.

Yes, I know that.  And that's why I was asking you to explain how one would use/need that information while shooting since I have never in 12 years.  I'm honestly looking for information.

For instance, some video cameras will tell you in real time how far out the focus is in ft/m.  This is critically important if you're shooting a film and want to know where to set your focus points on a follow focus rig.  All you need is a tape measure.  Well... if you don't have a good field monitor with zebra, of course.

Nov 09 14 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

I'm honestly looking for information.

Well and good.

I guess you just have to discover it for yourself.

Nov 09 14 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Well and good.

I guess you just have to discover it for yourself.

This leads me to believe one of two things.

You're a dick who won't help someone who's asking for help.
The information you have is not real.

So which is it?

Nov 09 14 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

This leads me to believe one of two things.

You're a dick who won't help someone who's asking for help.
The information you have is not real.

So which is it?

Believe whatever you will.

But it is truly enjoyable to be helping people.

and my information is first hand experience.

Nov 09 14 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Believe whatever you will.

But it is truly enjoyable to be helping people.

and my information is first hand experience.

So you will truly not share your experience with me.

You will deny yourself this pleasure of helping people for reasons?

Why would you not tell me why it is useful to know the focal length of your lens when you're taking a photo?  I'm asking a very simple question and for your opinion.

If you don't want to give it to me, just say you don't want to.  Don't make up a dumb reason as to why you won't tell me.

Nov 09 14 08:45 pm Link