Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > It's cold today - what's your favorite part?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Okay -- my sister lives in the middle of Wisconsin, and it's much colder there.  They might not see double digit temperatures for months.

But here, it's Portland cold.  It's trying to sleet, and the leaves are still clinging onto the trees.

So, what's your favorite part of the cold season?  Mine include...

...  Flannel sheets are magic,
...  Cuddling under heavy comforters,
...  Love dishes that feature pumpkin,
...  Some of my favorite comfort foods are stick-to-your-ribs variety,
...  Naps in front of the fireplace (with a fire going, of course),
...  Autumn colors,
...  I love walking around in my winter down coat,
...  etc.

I'll probably think of more soon.  What are your favorite things?

Nov 13 14 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

good scotch...but that's pretty much multiseasonal. smile

Nov 13 14 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

Down comforter.
Snowboarding.
Watching snowflakes fall from the sky.

Being from San Diego I have to travel for #2 and #3!

Nov 13 14 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

Winter is an intelligence test for yankees.

Nov 13 14 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

I love curling up in a blanket and watching the snow fall outside. Especially at night, just turn the porch light on and look out the window.

The fire in the fireplace, when I can bribe my roommate into starting one

Having a valid excuse to curl up with a cup of hot tea, a bar of chocolate, and a blanket

waking up the morning after a snow and going out with my camera to photograph how beautiful everything looks

the cold. I admit it, i like the cold. It's easier to bundle up when cold than it is to strip down when it's hot big_smile

The ease of finding birds (bald eagles, etc) here after the reservoir freezes over. Also, watching otters skid along the ice is neat

Nov 13 14 02:34 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

GK photo wrote:

I like your thinking!

It's a whole 27 degrees right now. We bought an electric room heater and shut the doors to the other rooms and changed the sheets to wool. I've been making crock pot meals and soups for a few weeks.

Tonight we're grilling because it is all season grill in our household. tongue

Nov 13 14 03:03 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

SPierce Photography wrote:
I love curling up in a blanket and watching the snow fall outside. Especially at night, just turn the porch light on and look out the window.

Having a valid excuse to curl up with a cup of hot tea, a bar of chocolate, and a blanket

waking up the morning after a snow and going out with my camera to photograph how beautiful everything looks

the cold. I admit it, i like the cold. It's easier to bundle up when cold than it is to strip down when it's hot big_smile

The ease of finding birds (bald eagles, etc) here after the reservoir freezes over. Also, watching otters skid along the ice is neat

hienvy

Nov 13 14 03:04 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

Snow season means slow season, so I get to stay in the sticks with my grandparents as much as I want tongue

It's where I am right now! (for the next 11 hours at least)

Nov 13 14 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

SPierce Photography wrote:

all good. as a kid, we lived all over the place (east of the big muddy). chicago, ny, bahstun, pittsburgh, jersey. i use to love it when snow fell. especially the really heavy, wet stuff. it's like the volume of the entire world turned down from 10 to 6. watching snow fall in the street lights at night was awesome. and getting up early, and being the first one to go out and make tracks was sublime.

but too cold is just that. if you have to get out and try to move around when it's sub-zero, that's practically torture. all those square heads from minneapolis on up are nut jobs. tongue

nothing like having to scrape your windshield of ice before you can drive to make you feel alive! smile

living in so cal now, it's funny to see how many ugg boots and parkas come out, once the temps drop to like 55 degrees. smile pretty comical stuff.

Nov 13 14 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrymettet/stuff2%20%20camel/IMGP3449-1.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrymettet/stuff2%20%20camel/IMGP0500.jpg

etc..

Nov 13 14 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

scrymettet wrote:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrymettet/stuff2%20%20camel/IMGP3449-1.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrymettet/stuff2%20%20camel/IMGP0500.jpg

etc..

yep, quebec in july. tongue jk.

Nov 13 14 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

GK photo wrote:
yep, quebec in july. tongue jk.

yup
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrymettet/marie/IMG_0026.jpg

Nov 13 14 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

https://www.narty.malopolska.pl/sites/default/files/manhatan.jpg

Nov 13 14 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

r T p wrote:

amateur lol

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/scrymettet/suff/IMG_0029.jpg

Nov 13 14 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

r T p wrote:

White mud.

Nov 13 14 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

"It's cold today - what's your favorite part?"

The end.

Nov 13 14 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

My Labrador - who I lost nearly three years ago - who used to lay on the foot end of the bed until I shut down the TV and computer. When I shut everything off he got down to lay on his own sleeping pad but he always left the end of the bed with a nice pre-warmed spot for my feet.

Studio36

Nov 13 14 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Jeez yeah, hell its gettin' cold.

It drops another 5 degrees I am gonna have to put socks on... another 10 after that I have to dig out a long sleeved shirt.

Truth- it is currently 66 degrees(F) on my patio. Lowest I saw it last night was 54.

Here in the Bay Area, we really only have three seasons, I cant remember the last snow we had here in town---nothing that stuck on the ground in at least 25 years, probably more like 40.

Might have 5 days a winter where it stays below 35 degrees in the day, maybe 5 days/winter where it drops below 25 at night.

Since I quit hunting I have ZERO cold weather clothes... I dont even OWN an actual coat (that fits)... I dont see any need for one.... Since I retired, if it is cold enough someplace that I would need a coat---I dont NEED to be there smile

Nov 13 14 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

I love cool sheets.
My favorite thing about winter happens every year on March 21st.

If it snows, you just have some model/help around to take care of such stuff. smile

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/cherrystonestudios/Subjects%20for%20Fora/JaMc13-12-05-086_zps7b5d2a23.jpg

Nov 13 14 05:06 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

my favorite part of winter is getting on an airplane and going somewhere where it's summer.

Nov 13 14 05:13 pm Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

My favorite part is the silence- no lawnmowers, leafblowers, etc. for 4-5 months.

The rest of it sucks- to quote Henry Miller: "My people were entirely Nordic, which is to say idiots."

Nov 13 14 05:14 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

studio36uk wrote:
My Labrador - who I lost nearly three years ago - who used to lay on the foot end of the bed until I shut down the TV and computer. When I shut everything off he got down to lay on his own sleeping pad but he always left the end of the bed with a nice pre-warmed spot for my feet.

Studio36

Yes, almost nothing beats going to bed and stealing the warm spot the cats leave! (and of course snuggling said cats)

Nov 13 14 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Caitie Elizabeth Photo

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I just got this wax for my Scentsy called Snowberry and it makes me feel a bit better about winter. And naps with my space heater on and twenty million blankets smile

Nov 13 14 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

I forgot a good excuse to curl up with a cat on my lap big_smile

Nov 13 14 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

spiked hot cocoa after a snowshoes walk

Nov 13 14 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

MMR Creative Services

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

We're having our first snow of the season. We love snow, just wish it could be 70 degrees so we could watch it snow all day and go away~~~

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120508/16/4fa9aad4497dc_m.jpg

Nov 13 14 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Fair

Palm Coast, Florida, US

I hate cold weather. When it gets below 50, I'll find a series on Netflix and binge watch it.

Nov 13 14 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I can sit outside in the evening or in the shade during the day. 64° at 5:30 am.

Nov 14 14 04:32 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

my favorite part is that I live in Texas...the cold won't last long. Thank God.

Nov 14 14 05:03 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Frack! I'm still wearing shorts and sandals. What is this cold you speak of?

To answer your question: Flannel sheets, a down comforter, and a shot (or 10) of some good scotch (I would add a nice smelly coal fire but that seems to be an English thing).

Nov 14 14 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Spring.

Nov 14 14 10:20 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Well you guys can always put this on you desktop... LOL

https://media.giphy.com/media/ebS4V3LSfc8Za/giphy.gif

Studio36

Nov 16 14 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Cool season in Thailand:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10676372_10152716361757048_5775977877488467843_n.jpg?oh=54addb5a346cd05998351687b0696ad5&oe=54DA0EF4&__gda__=1424558225_b849144e3c8463835c66407d0c463763

Nov 16 14 06:52 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Flannel pajamas

Flannel nightgowns

Warm socks

Cuddling up to someone in bed to keep warm

You can keep all the snow and associated winter problems and activities.  I don't like any of those parts of winter at all, and I have lived in the Detroit area all my life. Winter is my least favorite season.

Nov 16 14 06:53 pm Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Christmas Eve is a highlight for me.  It's always been my favourite day of the year.

The blast of minus-20 air going up your coat and under your shirt, if you have failed to tuck it in, is always... um.. life affirming.

Waiting for the streetcar for half an hour (because one of them was in an accident, holding up all the others) when you find yourself under-dressed for the cold because you haven't had your winter coat dry-cleaned yet --- priceless.

I do love it when my feet and toes turn into blocks of ice.  Good times.

Did I mention I love Christmas Eve?

Nov 16 14 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

L A F

Davenport, Iowa, US

I absolutely love having a slightly chilly apartment and then snuggling into warm sheets.  It's pretty much heaven.

Nov 16 14 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

not a damn fucking thing about it
the best part I when I get to go home to Tampa

Nov 16 14 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Watching news feeds while wearing shorts on my deck.

Nov 16 14 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Cold weather and hot weather remind me that perfect spring and autumn days lie ahead.

The beauty of a snow-filled landscape.

Flannel sheets were mentioned up there. Yes indeed.

Listen to people in places I won't live complain about the cold where I live. But hey, everyone needs to be somewhere.

But most of all, being alive and aware to enjoy it.

Nov 16 14 09:41 pm Link

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

GK photo wrote:

Was about to say.. Staying indoors and warming up with JD wink

Edit: oh and the holidays of course

Nov 16 14 10:10 pm Link