Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Rental Car Insurance

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I'm renting a car tomorrow for a week and I do not have car insurance right now. I'll be buying a car in two weeks so I'll purchase insurance then. I've read over 3-5 different policies Enterprise offers and it all reads like Mandarin to me. I have never been in an accident and the likelihood I will is next to nothing but can someone explain to me the different types of insurance and what they do. What is best for me? I want to be prepared before I get sold into something I won't need.

I'm leaving for an hour but I'll read this when I return. Thanks for any and all information!

Edit: figured it all out and went with LDW.

Nov 30 14 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Two very good articles -

https://www.esurance.com/insurance-reso … rance-myth

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george-ho … 77103.html

Hope this helps you out. BTW, I've never been in an accident (driver for over 40 years) until last week when I wrecked my beloved pilot. Insurance is covering everything for the person I hit and myself except the $500.00 deductible. The repair bill is off-the-freaking charts. I still got the rental car insurance at $18.00/day.

Oh yeah, and the car I hit was empty. Had there been someone inside it could have very easily been financially devastating without insurance.

Nov 30 14 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

check your credit card if you pay by credit.
Some have good coverage build in.

Nov 30 14 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

^ Yep, insurance on rental cars when you use your credit card. Call the 800 number on your card and ask them if you are covered, and to what extent.

Nov 30 14 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

Make absolutely certain you are covered for any losses when you rent a vehicle. Rental car companies calculate their losses of revenue for damaged cars that are out of service while being repaired, so a damaged rental car is a more expensive problem than a damaged personal vehicle. And don't assume vehicle collisions are the only potential problem. You need to consider theft, weather damage and collisions with animals also. Anything bad that can happen to a car has happened and will happen again to somebody.

Credit card companies provide some coverage but you probably have to call them and verify verbally the coverages they provide.

Nov 30 14 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Never buy gas or insurance from rental car companies.  Most credit cards cover your damage.  However, since you don't have your own auto insurance, you may need to bite bullet buy the minimal coverage.

Nov 30 14 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Connor Photography wrote:
Never buy gas or insurance from rental car companies.  Most credit cards cover your damage.  However, since you don't have your own auto insurance, you may need to bite bullet buy the minimal coverage.

Yes, top off your tank before you return the car, with some cheap gas.

Nov 30 14 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Carl Herbert wrote:
Make absolutely certain you are covered for any losses when you rent a vehicle. Rental car companies calculate their losses of revenue for damaged cars that are out of service while being repaired, so a damaged rental car is a more expensive problem than a damaged personal vehicle. And don't assume vehicle collisions are the only potential problem. You need to consider theft, weather damage and collisions with animals also. Anything bad that can happen to a car has happened and will happen again to somebody.

Credit card companies provide some coverage but you probably have to call them and verify verbally the coverages they provide.

If the information in the following link is accurate, they don't cover much at all -

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-c … insurance/

Nov 30 14 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Los Angeles, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:
…I have never been in an accident and the likelihood I will is next to nothing

You shouldn't say things like this. Setting aside any statements one could make about the potential hazards of being an overconfident driver, in a span of 5 years I was rear-ended twice while sitting at red lights by drivers who were not paying attention and hit once on the side by a woman who was not paying attention as she backed out of a space. Lucky for them my Jeep is built like a tank so only in one of those cases did I call the police.

269,082 total traffic crashes in the state of Ohio in 2013. 90% of the drivers were described as being in a "normal" state (as in not under the influence). 65% of those were during day light hours. Well over half of those crashes were on clear days. Over 191K were in dry conditions. Sometimes it does not matter how good a driver you are, bad drivers will find you. And even otherwise excellent drivers are at-fault in some collisions, too.

And before you go saying that you've driven however many miles in the past or that you do most of your miles on the highway (which, admittedly, is a different sort of driving conditions), most traffic accidents in the state of OH happen within 25 miles of the person's home.

Unless you plan on not driving the vehicle (not even off the lot), you are no more, no less likely to be in an accident as anyone else. A lot of the insurance coverage that rental companies offer cover everything from dings and scratches to a totaled vehicle with property damage and injuries to motorists. It also tends to be far less hassle than going through your insurance company. If the car got dented due to your fault or someone else's, when you turn it in you just say "The car's got a massive dent in it now. Ooops. Have a nice day." and go on about your business after you hand over the keys.

Generally, the waiver you sign on car rental insurance amounts to "I'm not taking yours so I am going to cover every penny of the damages on my own." whether that is out of pocket or otherwise. Now, if you get a ding on that car, when you turn it in they may initiate the process right there. Sometimes you have to cover a particular fee up front (kind of a "fuck-you" fee for just giving them the trouble). That fee could be substantial, depending. Also, going through your credit card could be a breeze or it could be a colossal headache. If you've never had to take care of such a thing, I wouldn't chance it.

In all likelihood they have a minimum coverage option of $25K or $80K something. Take it. If you use a credit or debit card and you waive their coverage, they probably have the right to charge whatever card you have on file for the damages or fuck-you fees.

Nov 30 14 02:49 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Okay I wasn't specific enough...

I need to know what the difference is between Damage Waiver, Supplemental Liability, and Personal Accident/Effect Insurance. Again the Enterprise site doesn't explain it very well and I've read article after article. It sounds like SLC only covers the other person and not the car. The damage waiver isn't considered insurance but yet covers all damage of cars? The other I have no idea wtf it is.

Can anyone explain this? I want to get whatever covers the vehicle if someone else hits me or I hit a light post. Apparently the full coverage option according to the articles I've read is if I hit a billionaire or someone willing to sue because their car is worth 100k. But again, I don't get it.

Also, I have a debit card not a credit card. I don't think it has coverage. I'll call to see but... There's going to be a deposit at this particular Enterprise because I've rented from them before.

Nov 30 14 03:41 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Kincaid Blackwood wrote:

You shouldn't say things like this. Setting aside any statements one could make about the potential hazards of being an overconfident driver, in a span of 5 years I was rear-ended twice while sitting at red lights by drivers who were not paying attention and hit once on the side by a woman who was not paying attention as she backed out of a space. Lucky for them my Jeep is built like a tank so only in one of those cases did I call the police.

269,082 total traffic crashes in the state of Ohio in 2013. 90% of the drivers were described as being in a "normal" state (as in not under the influence). 65% of those were during day light hours. Well over half of those crashes were on clear days. Over 191K were in dry conditions. Sometimes it does not matter how good a driver you are, bad drivers will find you. And even otherwise excellent drivers are at-fault in some collisions, too.

And before you go saying that you've driven however many miles in the past or that you do most of your miles on the highway (which, admittedly, is a different sort of driving conditions), most traffic accidents in the state of OH happen within 25 miles of the person's home.

Unless you plan on not driving the vehicle (not even off the lot), you are no more, no less likely to be in an accident as anyone else. A lot of the insurance coverage that rental companies offer cover everything from dings and scratches to a totaled vehicle with property damage and injuries to motorists. It also tends to be far less hassle than going through your insurance company. If the car got dented due to your fault or someone else's, when you turn it in you just say "The car's got a massive dent in it now. Ooops. Have a nice day." and go on about your business after you hand over the keys.

Generally, the waiver you sign on car rental insurance amounts to "I'm not taking yours so I am going to cover every penny of the damages on my own." whether that is out of pocket or otherwise. Now, if you get a ding on that car, when you turn it in they may initiate the process right there. Sometimes you have to cover a particular fee up front (kind of a "fuck-you" fee for just giving them the trouble). That fee could be substantial, depending. Also, going through your credit card could be a breeze or it could be a colossal headache. If you've never had to take care of such a thing, I wouldn't chance it.

In all likelihood they have a minimum coverage option of $25K or $80K something. Take it. If you use a credit or debit card and you waive their coverage, they probably have the right to charge whatever card you have on file for the damages or fuck-you fees.

The car will literally be sitting for two days and I'm driving down to NC- a drive I've made a million times and can do with my eyes closed. Weather conditions are going to be wonderful. I'm a very defensive driver. I'm aware of everything you said I just need to know exactly what covers what with options I have.

Nov 30 14 03:44 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Right but what does that minimal coverage cover? That's my question. What is the best option. I don't have insurance because I've not had a car for nearly a year so that's my issue.

Nov 30 14 03:45 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lohkee wrote:
Two very good articles -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george-ho … 77103.html

Hope this helps you out. BTW, I've never been in an accident (driver for over 40 years) until last week when I wrecked my beloved pilot. Insurance is covering everything for the person I hit and myself except the $500.00 deductible. The repair bill is off-the-freaking charts. I still got the rental car insurance at $18.00/day.

Oh yeah, and the car I hit was empty. Had there been someone inside it could have very easily been financially devastating without insurance.

Both links are broken.

Nov 30 14 03:48 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I just read this: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/carrent_ins.html

Does this mean Damage Waiver covers the car and Supplemental Liability Protection covers other people in the case of an accident?

I have health insurance so I wouldn't need the personal protection. Does this mean I need to combine both of those to cover myself and others or what? I'm so confused.

Nov 30 14 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Both links are broken.

Just tested them. They both work for me just fine.

Nov 30 14 03:52 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lohkee wrote:

Just tested them. They both work for me just fine.

The second one I've already read but the first takes me to esurance quote page.

Nov 30 14 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Model Sarah wrote:

The second one I've already read but the first takes me to esurance quote page.

Huh.

same link, but it should take you to an article explaining the different types of coverage.

Nov 30 14 03:57 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lohkee wrote:

Huh.

same link, but it should take you to an article explaining the different types of coverage.

It doesn't work because it is broken. I just googled it and found it.

Nov 30 14 03:59 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Thanks to Lohkee's article on esurance I was able to figure out what is what. The collision damage waiver is what I want. The SLP is for lawsuits and the other two are for health and theft of your personal property. I think...

So unless I cause some MAJOR accident the liability isn't really needed.

Nov 30 14 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Thanks to Lohkee's article on esurance I was able to figure out what is what. The collision damage waiver is what I want. The SLP is for lawsuits and the other two are for health and theft of your personal property. I think...

So unless I cause some MAJOR accident the liability isn't really needed.

I would also check to see the difference between the minimum and top of the line. It might not be more than two or three bucks (I really don't know). It would be worth it if there was not a significant difference between the two. Just a thought.

Nov 30 14 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Right but what does that minimal coverage cover? That's my question. What is the best option. I don't have insurance because I've not had a car for nearly a year so that's my issue.

It looks like you are a responsible person and a good driver.  If I were you, I would not take any insurance.  I know myself well, I was NYC taxi driver and expert in driving in snow storm (love it).  I know I would not involve an accident on my own.  If someone hits me, I walk and they pay unless the other driver is uninsured. 

Do you have umbrella coverage for your personal life?

If you must purchase the insurance coverage, buy the minimal, ie:  Insurance covers you when you are at fault but with a high deductible (500 to $1000).   Remember, insurance should not be used for minor thing.  Insurance should be used to protect you if the major accident occurs so you can't be wiped out financially. 

Good luck.

Dec 01 14 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

I advise against relying on minimal liability coverage when renting vehicles. Accidents happen, and if you don't have the vehicle covered it could cost you a lot of money out of pocket. If you don't have the money in your pocket to pay for a car then you can see what a problem that could be.

The loss damage waiver (LDW, CDW, etc.) is an add-on coverage that should allow you to walk away from the car with zero obligation. Which is to say if it's stolen, wrecked or whatever, the rental company will tow it away or deal with it on their own and bring you a replacement. If you aren't hurt then you forget about it. In most any place with roads, drivers are required to have liability insurance, so you will have to make sure you have that. I believe the damage waiver is the more expensive coverage, but if you rent the car at the weekly rate and shop around a bit it should be affordable.

If you are already committed to Enterprise then maybe it's too late to shop around, but it's good to remember it in the future -- insurance rates and coverages vary for each agency. Check beforehand how thoroughly the Enterprise LDW covers you. Some agencies don't include theft in their LDW coverage.

Dec 01 14 11:15 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Carl Herbert wrote:
I advise against relying on minimal liability coverage when renting vehicles. Accidents happen, and if you don't have the vehicle covered it could cost you a lot of money out of pocket. If you don't have the money in your pocket to pay for a car then you can see what a problem that could be.

The loss damage waiver (LDW, CDW, etc.) is an add-on coverage that should allow you to walk away from the car with zero obligation. Which is to say if it's stolen, wrecked or whatever, the rental company will tow it away or deal with it on their own and bring you a replacement. If you aren't hurt then you forget about it. In most any place with roads, drivers are required to have liability insurance, so you will have to make sure you have that. I believe the damage waiver is the more expensive coverage, but if you rent the car at the weekly rate and shop around a bit it should be affordable.

If you are already committed to Enterprise then maybe it's too late to shop around, but it's good to remember it in the future -- insurance rates and coverages vary for each agency. Check beforehand how thoroughly the Enterprise LDW covers you. Some agencies don't include theft in their LDW coverage.

Yep I figured it all out. LDW is what I went with and it wasn't all that expensive either. I was committed to Enterprise because I knew this store took debit cards.

Thanks everyone for your advice and help!

Dec 01 14 11:37 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Back when I rented cars while on business travel, I always purchased the Damage Waiver.  It wasn't coming out of my pocket, the company reimbursed me for all travel costs...but I had to rent the car in my name.  So the damage waiver was peace of mind for me, if anything happened to the car, it was not my problem and I could walk away.

Dec 01 14 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

ernst tischler wrote:
Back when I rented cars while on business travel, I always purchased the Damage Waiver.

absolute necessity. if you don't get it, you can get burned.

my son's idiot buddy just rented a car, and had the windshield dinged by a rock. guess what he's being charged, since he didn't get the waiver?

$2,600.00

Dec 01 14 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Marco R

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Carl Herbert wrote:

Do not blindly trust what a customer representative tells you. It is not uncommon receive incorrect information just because the customer service person is misinformed. Make sure you have a pointer to a website page where you can confirm it and in case of an accident you can have it in print.

Dec 01 14 12:55 pm Link