Forums > Model Colloquy > Modelling videos?? Yay or Nay?

Photographer

Aidan Francis

Navan, Meath, Ireland

I recently made a modelling video to go along side a photo-shoot I did.
The model from the shoot asked would i be interested. I obliged, my colleague Noel came along, shot and edited it- just for fun, just as an experiment.

The shooting of this video was secondary to the photo-shoot. I have seen much better modelling videos, and i have seen a lot worse.
In my opinion this falls somewhere in the middle smile

Either way, I DID NOT POST THIS IN THE CRITIQUE SECTION so I'm not looking for a critique on the video. I'm just sharing it for those who might be interested, and hopefully enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIZQOXM … B4Oy7QDtww

The main reason for this post is to put it out there to everyone,
Do you like modelling videos?? do they enhance a models portfolio and profile?? Are they just a vanity trip? or a pleasant bi-product?
And also, if you know of any good ones out there, please share smile

Dec 16 14 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

NAY !!!

Dec 16 14 08:14 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i like videos so long as they aren't slow and self-indulgent. keep it moving right along.

i won't say anything about yours since you don't want feedback on it.

Dec 16 14 08:25 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I use video a lot more these days.  It seems to be an integral part of more websites these days.  I think it can add to the presentation.  I tend to do things a little bit differently than what you did, but video is a good thing.

Dec 16 14 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

I've definitely seen a lot worse. 

I've been dabbling in model videos, but I take a little bit more of a music video approach to them.

https://vimeo.com/109731137
https://vimeo.com/111492340

I'm not sure which style I like better.  Seeing the shoot happening is actually interesting to me.  I have a buddy using my studio next week and I may take some video of the process and put something together for him.  This was the last one I did during a shoot.

https://vimeo.com/90284515

But that was really before I knew what I was doing.

Still, I like seeing more video happening.  And I enjoy making them more than stills anymore.  It's a new challenge and completely different.

Dec 16 14 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I've put up a few slideshows (http://vimeo.com/user9597339) but no BTS's.  I have no idea whether they help anyone with anything, other than another place and format for displaying one's pictures.  Reactions from models (https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 171&page=1) have been mixed.

My own feeling is that as long as it's fun and doesn't hurt anybody, why not do it, but then that's my attitude on almost everything in life.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Dec 16 14 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Aidan Francis

Navan, Meath, Ireland

Hey everyone,

Some great responses. Very much appreciated!!! Great to hear more opinions on the topic. So for, as best as i can see, the consensus would point to a "yay" and for all the right reasons, in the pursuit of artistic exploration.

Good Egg Productions - I adore the three videos you sent.
I agree with you, in the context of a shoot, seeing the Behind the scenes is very interesting.  Your garage video is bright and colourful, shows fun sexy cool people working and having fun...its quite irresistible. Such a great video. Well done smile
The other two, Emilys video and Most Ghost, i can totally tell you had a lot of fun making them and experimenting with camera and editing techniques...they are also a joy!
Reminds me of the style and energy that you might find in a Banks music video. All three are sitting happily in my "inspiration archives" smile

Regarding Slideshows, Ray's Fine Art, you caught me off-guard with the slideshow idea. Something i never really considered. I looked at your slideshows and read the responses in that thread too.  Alas, i fall somewhere in the middle also. I can defo see merits to slideshows, and without a doubt being appreciated by some clients - families, couples, first-timer models, events etc.
However as a concept, my main concern would be: as a viewer we have a very subjective relationship with a photograph (same as a painting) so for more artistic photographs, I see that as a problem, an image can last for infinity in the brain, its hard to say how much time it takes to process it (its very personal for everyone), and being forced to move to the next image in a slideshow (personally, i find that somewhat distressing), like somebody turning the page of a book before you have reached the end of the page!
Its different with video/film, generally people are educated in the language of film, from a life time of tv and cinema, so we follow camera movements and cuts, and it doesn't upset us.
Im just spit-balling ideas here (i don't proclaim to have the answers) but i reckon the most effective slideshow of images would follow some of the rules of film, filling the frame with crops, zooms, panning, bringing movements and life into the image, allowing it to sit comfortably in another medium.

Rays Fine Art wrote:
My own feeling is that as long as it's fun and doesn't hurt anybody, why not do it, but then that's my attitude on almost everything in life.

By the way, Ray, thats a great outlook to have on life. Duly noted smile

Dec 16 14 01:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Aidan Francis wrote:
...modelling videos? do they enhance a models portfolio...

Aidan, first and foremost you need to flag your video as mature content... there are 16 and 17 year old models on this site... they warrant notification as to what might be appropriate for viewing...

btw, this is not a judgement call on your part, it is Mayhem Policy

Mature Images - Defined
- bare buttocks (thong or not)

If you are challenged on how to do this properly please review the other post which refer to +18 material 

As for whether video is a medium of merit, it is (and has been for several years now) a primary vehicle to showcasing Models by high end agencies... here is an example from DNA models... btw, the photographer of record on this video is Steven Meisel... would suggest you carefully review his work to better get your head around what it takes to be of merit for fashion model portfolio on DNA's main board... 

As for my recent commercial experience? Still photography is in a major waning phase... all my large budget assignments are now video... enough said...

Dec 16 14 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Aidan Francis

Navan, Meath, Ireland

ArtistryImage wrote:
Aidan, first and foremost you need to flag your video as mature content... there are 16 and 17 year old models on this site... they warrant notification as to what might be appropriate for viewing...

Thanks, that has been rectified. I wasn't the one who uploaded it, i thought it was. All good now smile

And thanks for your advice also. I just a brief look at that site, looks mightily impressive. Will give it a more in depth study.

Interesting that most of your big budget work is becoming video, truly fascinating smile

Still, I'm finding this fascinating...I would love for members to post more video work, be it their own, or something that inspires them.

Dec 16 14 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

revolucion foto

Miami, Florida, US

I personally love modeling videos, it shows a nice behind the scenes and the tone of the shoot, wish I knew how to do them...maybe I will try one.

Dec 16 14 04:46 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I like bts videos. I have one from a shoot earlier In the year. It was from a model portfolio shoot,  ( paid, but the rate was a conservative model rate.)

Dec 16 14 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

Nice Presentation!

I think BTS videos are great. It offers another way to present your subject visually. Music videos sure did wonders for the music industry. A good video gets views and more views can build a brand. 

You may want to post your video on Vimeo, Not everyone has a You Tube account and the age restriction will limit your views. After seeing your video, I don't see why it was age restricted anyway.

My favorite BTS Video to date. http://vimeo.com/104343992   Video done with Nikon D610, and D5300 cameras.

Dec 16 14 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

dana a

Santa Monica, California, US

I've made a few (in profile). Mainly shot for the photographer but the models seem to love them also.
http://vimeo.com/36931452

Dec 16 14 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

dana a wrote:
I've made a few (in profile). Mainly shot for the photographer but the models seem to love them also.
http://vimeo.com/36931452

Cheerful video, lovely model.

Dec 16 14 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Gong

Mahopac, New York, US

Aidan Francis wrote:
I recently made a modelling video to go along side a photo-shoot I did.
The model from the shoot asked would i be interested. I obliged, my colleague Noel came along, shot and edited it- just for fun, just as an experiment.

The shooting of this video was secondary to the photo-shoot. I have seen much better modelling videos, and i have seen a lot worse.
In my opinion this falls somewhere in the middle smile

Either way, I DID NOT POST THIS IN THE CRITIQUE SECTION so I''m not looking for a critique on the video. I''m just sharing it for those who might be interested, and hopefully enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIZQOXM … B4Oy7QDtww

The main reason for this post is to put it out there to everyone,
Do you like modelling videos?? do they enhance a models portfolio and profile?? Are they just a vanity trip? or a pleasant bi-product?

I do like modelling videos - its one thing to see a still image, another to see a shoot come alive and watch the flow of a model. Even the BTS stuff works because you can see outside that world and get a feel for it in context to the shoot. Do they enhance a models portfolio? Sure whether its good or bad it shows the side of movement. You can watch them go through an action, revealing more possibilities in posing them.

I don't know if you'd consider this good or not but I shall share it anyway:

http://youtu.be/Pl3Sw4EsJUs?list=UUEmsr … tQrrAhqCLA

Besides the visuals I would also consider sound - as in music or soundscape, that can also play into the overall benefit of a modelling video helping sell that model''s talent. What do you evoke from your audience?

Dec 22 14 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Yay or nay.

Yay for the great ones and nay for the ones that suck.

I''ve seen some really nice work, and I''ve seen some work I wished I had not seen in the first place.

Dec 22 14 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Phil_Fernandez

Santa Clarita, California, US

I started doing videos  3 years ago . I  used it as an ad for my photo services.

Here''s a sample I did 2 years ago
https://vimeo.com/39994071

Dec 22 14 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Aidan Francis wrote:

Love modeling videos.  They definitely DO enhance a models portfolio... they CAN BE somewhat of a vanity trip... and of course... the bi-products are almost always pleasant.  We just completed a 6 day cruiseboat photoshoot video (it included many still images) that was all of the above... borat

Dec 22 14 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Aidan Francis wrote:
Do you like modelling videos??

Yes.

Aidan Francis wrote:
do they enhance a models portfolio and profile?? Are they just a vanity trip? or a pleasant bi-product?

Depend how are made.

Dec 23 14 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
Yay or nay.

Yay for the great ones and nay for the ones that suck.

I''''ve seen some really nice work, and I''''ve seen some work I wished I had not seen in the first place.

Could you post link to a good one ?

Dec 23 14 05:17 am Link

Model

Hillaire Harkleroad

Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, US

I will not critique the video;

But, in my opinion they''re a great new add to the portfolio "Behind the scenes!" is a cool way to show what goes on. Though, do not make one for every shoot because they can get old real fast.

The better the Video, well...the better!.

Dec 23 14 05:20 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

I've experimented with video a bit but not so much for 1-2-1 photo shoots, more fashion shows where I used a mixture of photos and live footage. I always hated slideshows because often it's a lot of "black space" and after a while you get the "neighbour's boring holiday snap affect". Way too long, you end up skipping half of it.

I'll probably do a few again this year but work more on cutting the time down. Anything over 3 minutes gets boring.

Mine can be seen on my website:
http://www.darrenbrade.com/video

Dec 24 14 10:15 am Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I would love to do more of those, actually.

Just don't tell me I am being recorded because I become very nervous.

Dec 24 14 10:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Could you post link to a good one ?

Might review this... an example from DNA's main board (Aymeline Valade's book)... The MUA on this video is top VOGUE artist Pat McGrath and the photographer of record is Steven Meisel... Steven seems to know his way around the fashion scene also...  just saying...

Oh, DNA is rather strong in your market... enough said...

Dec 24 14 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

S Hoggard Photography

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

In some cases, a modeling video might help a model who wants to look into acting because there are some casting directors who wants to see movement or people who might want to pick out models who can move well for certain things like runway shows. For my youth project, Youth Revolution, I plan to at least make one video per model which would basically be their introduction video where they introduce themselves. There would be some fun clips of the shoot thrown in but that's about it. Long videos aren't always that fun, and I don't even know how to edit videos to be honest, so I don't bother with making videos yet. I think making videos really depend on why you're doing it and what it's going to be like.

Dec 28 14 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Aidan Francis wrote:

Like still images, a good video can enhance a portfolio, and a bad one can detract from a portfolio. 

Y'know -- several decades ago, before I learned to drive, I went to a summer art school to learn film making.  I made some films.  The films sucked, but the individual images were promising.  I had a good sense of lighting & composition, and I was capable of creating some good portraits.  So -- in my case, I had more ability & potential as a still photographer than as a film maker. 

I think I'm not the only person like this.  Just because you can create a video, that does not guarantee that its addition contributes to one's portfolio.  But then, in some cases, it might.

For models -- I think I like the idea of videos more -- I like seeing how the model moves.  That's good to see.  I suppose that for photographers, it might be good to see the photographer working.  But that's just me.

Dec 28 14 03:40 pm Link