Forums > Photography Talk > Ideal camera attributes

Photographer

Al Green XM

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

What  attributes would your ideal camera have? My ideal camera hasn't been made yet but this is what it would have:

Phase detect focus
4K vid at 60 P or higher
Weather sealing
5 axis in body stabilization
Long battery life
Great dynamic range
Compact design
No low pass filter

I'm not buying another body till this is avail - but when it is..........

Dec 27 14 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Random Image

Pocatello, Idaho, US

I want amazing autofocus, usable IS0 into the 120K range.  8 fps and a 100 shot buffer.

Everything else is really fluff.

Dec 27 14 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

if you could somehow cross a 5D MK II with a fuji-xpro1 that would be great.

Dec 27 14 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Random Image wrote:
I want amazing autofocus, usable IS0 into the 120K range.  8 fps and a 100 shot buffer.

Everything else is really fluff.

I'd love that on a DX/Crop Nikon body, and be satisfied with a 35 shot (RAW) buffer.

Built-in Wifi with either open-source or provisions to make compatible with other apps (such as CamRanger).

U1/U2 custom user settings that can be controlled by thumb, such as with AF-On.

Dec 27 14 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Hamper

Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada

It should seem to disappear when I'm using it.

Jason

Dec 27 14 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Xperience Media wrote:
Long battery life
Great dynamic range
Compact design
No low pass filter

A few months ago I gotta camera with ALL THIS for only $340 at the camera swapmeet... a refurbished Nikon D3300.  Brought it on the last cruiseboat photoshoot and hooked it up to a 55-300 ED-VR.  Scored AMAZING pics with it (like this one) during the entire cruiseshoot.  This 'very small and lightweight' camera KICKS ASS!

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141205/22/5482a0ab47474.jpg

Dec 27 14 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I can rattle off a million features I'd like. But if a camera comes out that has better IQ and tonal range than everything else, even if it lacks AF, a viewfinder, a crappy control scheme, and has a buffer of one shot ... Guess what I'm using?

Then again, my personal work is all LF. So I'm used to that trade-off.

Dec 27 14 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

my ideal "runner up" came out last month in the X100T

My ideal "finalist" will be out sometime early 2015, X-Pro2

Dec 27 14 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Xperience Media wrote:
Phase detect focus
4K vid at 60 P or higher
Weather sealing
Long battery life
Great dynamic range
Compact design
No low pass filter

None of which matters much to me. DR is nice, but current budget offerings meet my needs.

Dec 28 14 12:18 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

The follow are things that I do not see present in any currently existing camera.
Excellent performance (over the 100 % of the frame) at 6400 iso with no loss of detail.
Great dynamic range.
Low pass filter on or a total different sensor technology that don't introduce moiré without it.
While feautures as:
- great in body stabilization
- integrated wi-fi
- 4K at 60P
- Weather sealing
- AF performance
- fps
etc
are already present on different body, so should only to gather them together.

Dec 28 14 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Zack Zoll wrote:
I can rattle off a million features I'd like. But if a camera comes out that has better IQ and tonal range than everything else, even if it lacks AF, a viewfinder, a crappy control scheme, and has a buffer of one shot ... Guess what I'm using?

Then again, my personal work is all LF. So I'm used to that trade-off.

Have you ever looked at the Sigma DP range?

Dec 28 14 11:09 am Link

Photographer

wr not here

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I want it to take pictures please. I'll do the rest.

Dec 28 14 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Virtual Studio wrote:

Have you ever looked at the Sigma DP range?

Not a fan. I just don't like Sigma lenses. Or many modern lenses, for that matter. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Dec 28 14 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

What  attribute would your Ideal camera have?

a
dedicated button for ordering pizza

Dec 28 14 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

The simpler the better.

No need of batery.
No need of eletronical or mechanical devices, or if needed only minimal.
Light with stability.
High dynamic renge.
Any Weather resistence.

I have being shooting exclusively with large format pinholes and I find its limitation liberating.

No worry about lenses, focus, DOF, weather, Weight, plus the advantage described above.

And the best characteristic of all. It is cheap.

Dec 28 14 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Al Green XM

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

Lovin' the diversity of the attributes photographers consider ideal in  a  camera from minimalist to aspirational on the tech side. No two are the same and that's how it should be.

Dec 28 14 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Worcester, England, United Kingdom

I think viewfinders are generally disappointing, so if I were designing a camera I would start with that and not think about anything else until I had a really sensational optical viewfinder.
I remember seeing a documentary on a recently deceased photographer and he was showing the interviewer his camera. It was a Leica with a viewfinder attached to the top, and his comment was that it was so good, and so essential, that he didn't think he could have become a photographer without it.
I don't like the way your nose flattens against the back of the camera on dslrs, or the way stray light comes in.

Once I had that then I would design an all metal body with modular parts for things like shutter and sensor, so that replacing them would take a novice seconds. Mostly i would have dials and buttons rather than menus, and they would be so well engineered they would never wear out. Instead of buying new cameras every 2 years you would simply replace the sensor and the processor.

Dec 29 14 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Can everyone afford to purchase the "ideal camera".

Dec 29 14 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

TMG wrote:
I think viewfinders are generally disappointing,

I agree on importance of good VF
Have you ever used older cameras like Pentax 6x7
VF is like a iMax screen smile

Dec 29 14 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

Yes, I had a Bronica for a while. I went somewhere to buy something else and the guy showed it to me. I bought it immediately after looking through the viewfinder.
Thinking about it, that Bronica had everything I needed in a camera. All I would add to it is modern accuracy metering. I tend to use the spot meter and the zone spectrum thing in the viewfinder. The pisser with what I've got now (D2x) is that the metering is fucked, so alternatives are on my mind. Bit big to lug about, though, the Bronica. And I'm not always in the mood to shoot film.

Dec 29 14 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

My Pentax 6x7 and Nikon F3 HP have viewfinders that I love.

Dec 29 14 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

TMG wrote:

Yes, I had a Bronica for a while. I went somewhere to buy something else and the guy showed it to me. I bought it immediately after looking through the viewfinder.
Thinking about it, that Bronica had everything I needed in a camera. All I would add to it is modern accuracy metering. I tend to use the spot meter and the zone spectrum thing in the viewfinder. The pisser with what I've got now (D2x) is that the metering is fucked, so alternatives are on my mind. Bit big to lug about, though, the Bronica. And I'm not always in the mood to shoot film.

I also have a bronica and I really like the VF. But middle format are expected to have better VF than smallers frames/sensor cameras for obvious reason. Waistlevel are even better.

Dec 29 14 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Marcio Faustino wrote:

I also have a bronica and I really like the VF. But middle format are expected to have better VF than smallers frames/sensor cameras for obvious reason. Waistlevel are even better.

Yes. I would like a digital Rolleiflex. I'd need them to give it to me, though, because it would be likely to cost a small fortune.
Assuming the effing thing wasn't outsourced to China.

Dec 29 14 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Marcio Faustino wrote:
The simpler the better.

No need of batery.
No need of eletronical or mechanical devices, or if needed only minimal.
Light with stability.
High dynamic renge.
Any Weather resistence.

I have being shooting exclusively with large format pinholes and I find its limitation liberating.

No worry about lenses, focus, DOF, weather, Weight, plus the advantage described above.

And the best characteristic of all. It is cheap.

One of my coworkers is into pinhole something fierce. She did her doctoral thesis on it, back when you could still get a doctorate in general photography.

I can't say I ever got it. I kept trying to apply the Zone System to my pinhole exposures, and making myself crazy.

I'm not down on it. Rinko Kawuachi(I'm sure I've misspelled that) makes beautiful pinhole images - or at least images that look like pinhole. But it is a manner of working that I've never been able to wrap my head around.

Dec 29 14 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

If I ever buy another camera, it will have this:

RAW video recording internally.
4K compressed video recording
Highspeed FullHD recording 240FPS or better.
usable ISO to about 102,400.
An effective internal sensor cleaning solution.
at least 36MP (not interested in going backward from a D810)
at least 16 stops of Dynamic Range
on board WiFi that transmits LiveView and preview photos to tablet/phone/computer.

Still FPS doesn't much matter to me.  Weather sealing isn't terribly important.  Battery life is a push (more batteries is a solution).  Size and weight doesn't much matter to me either.  I'm also indifferent on whether it has a mirror or an EVF.  They both work quite well in most conditions.

I use my DSLR as a video camera about equally as I do a still camera, so video is important to me.

Dec 29 14 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Good Egg Productions wrote:
If I ever buy another camera, it will have this:

RAW video recording internally.
4K compressed video recording
Highspeed FullHD recording 240FPS or better.
usable ISO to about 102,400.
An effective internal sensor cleaning solution.
at least 36MP (not interested in going backward from a D810)
at least 16 stops of Dynamic Range
on board WiFi that transmits LiveView and preview photos to tablet/phone/computer.

Still FPS doesn't much matter to me.  Weather sealing isn't terribly important.  Battery life is a push (more batteries is a solution).  Size and weight doesn't much matter to me either.  I'm also indifferent on whether it has a mirror or an EVF.  They both work quite well in most conditions.

I use my DSLR as a video camera about equally as I do a still camera, so video is important to me.

You forgot the global shutter smile

Dec 29 14 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Zack Zoll wrote:

One of my coworkers is into pinhole something fierce. She did her doctoral thesis on it, back when you could still get a doctorate in general photography.

I can't say I ever got it. I kept trying to apply the Zone System to my pinhole exposures, and making myself crazy.

I'm not down on it. Rinko Kawuachi(I'm sure I've misspelled that) makes beautiful pinhole images - or at least images that look like pinhole. But it is a manner of working that I've never been able to wrap my head around.

Pinholes shots have a look and workflow on their own so it is not everybody taste.

Dec 29 14 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've taken great photos with my cell phone from 3 generations ago.

Practically speaking, Canon or nikon. I just assisted on a location job with the latest phase one back on a hasselblad and what a cumbersome bore that was. Strictly a studio camera. The delay is too great on the shutter click and the low iso range puts you in a corner.

Dec 29 14 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Can everyone afford to purchase the "ideal camera".

I think so once the technology is ready and the package is made.
At that point I think the main problem remains the segmentation of the market made from the marketing department, but this is a commercial issue and don't something technologically related.

Dec 30 14 01:03 am Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

One thing I miss terribly that I'd like to see on any new camera is the eye control focusing of the EOS-3. If a camera has more than a handful of focus points it can be a slow, frustrating experience to pick the one you want on the fly.

Dec 30 14 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Carlo P Mk2

Los Angeles, California, US

- 8MP full frame CMOS
- Dynamic range and high ISO performance similar to the 5D Mk3 or the 1Dx
- AF and weather sealing of the 7D Mk2
- Dual CF slots
- 400,000 shutter rating
- No video
- No contrast-detect AF
- No GPS
- No Wifi
- No tilt swivel screen
- No live view
- $1,000 MSRP

Is that too much to ask for? :-p

Dec 30 14 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Xperience Media wrote:
What  attribute would your Ideal camera have? My ideal camera hasn't been made yet but this is what it would have:

Phase detect focus
4K vid at 60 P or higher
Weather sealing
Long battery life
Great dynamic range
Compact design
No low pass filter

I'm not buying another body till this is avail - but when it is..........

I want two cameras.

One would have a 30cm by 30cm square sensor that captures a 36MP image with no filters on the sensor with at least 16 bits of data per pixel.  The magic comes in making a sensor that can tuned to IR, visible, or UV light at picture time.  It needs one of those expensive pan/tilt/shift rigs that takes a decent size bellows for long focal lengths.  An electronic shutter would be ideal, as the lenses I have that I would use with it have no leaf shutters in them. 

The other is the 1D-X I already have.  I use it for sports and action shots, and it's pretty good already, though my notion of what I need usually expands to match the new cameras as I buy them.  It's been years since my articulated needs were bigger than what I could buy.

Dec 30 14 10:27 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

My ideal camera:

> 6x7 medium format film body.
> 90mm lens.
> Ap-priority meter.
> Autofocus.

I suppose i you could cross a Mamiya 7 Rangefinder with a Pentax 67, and add autofocus (and halve the weight of the Pentax), that would be pretty close smile

Dec 30 14 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Carlo P Mk2 wrote:
- 8MP full frame CMOS
- Dual CF slots
- 400,000 shutter rating
- No video
- No contrast-detect AF
- No GPS
- No Wifi
- No tilt swivel screen
- No live view
- $1,000 MSRP

Sounds like a 1D Mark II with a few updates. Had dual slots, but only one is CF. Shutter was rated for rather less than 400k. Dynamic range / high ISO not so much smile But everything else lines up.

Dec 30 14 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Jason Hamper wrote:
It should seem to disappear when I'm using it.

Jason

Yes!

Dec 31 14 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Carlo P Mk2 wrote:
- 8MP full frame CMOS
- Dual CF slots
- 400,000 shutter rating
- No video
- No contrast-detect AF
- No GPS
- No Wifi
- No tilt swivel screen
- No live view
- $1,000 MSRP

Short of the dual CF slots and the price, that's pretty much the A7s.

Some of the other things you don't want, you can just ignore.

Dec 31 14 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

My RZ67 is damned close for me.  To be perfect my digital back would have a full 6x7 sensor.

Dec 31 14 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

There are a lot of features that don't exist that I'd like to have, but I'll give a short list of things that exist or can exist.

Mainly one knob per function - aperture, shutter, ISO, EC and FEC

Menu should have unlimited customizable shortcuts.

EC and FEC should be linkable - ideally as a ratio

Aperture range and shutter speed range should be limitable

Full stop exposure increments

Wifi with smart phone app

If there are custom stored presets, you should have the option of storing every camera function or just certain ones and the rest stay however the camera is currently set. For instance, you recall a preset an all that changes is the metering mode and AF - ISO/Shutter/Aperture stay as they are.

Custom presets should be namable - even if it's only in a menu somewhere.

Dec 31 14 09:25 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

My camera(s) should have a shutter speed knob, the lens should have an aperture ring on its barrel, and it should have a view finder. That's all I need, anything more is just fluff.

Dec 31 14 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

My ideal camera would be a DSLR, preferably using Canon lenses (so I don't have to buy new ones) that would shoot 1080 or 4k video all day every day (just like a camcorder), have an auto focus system that actually worked in the video mode, and an adjustable aperture, adjustable shutter speed, be relatively light AND be available in the $5-700 range. It would be nice if it could capture to more than one SD card or to an SD card and another device (tablet, computer, etc) that is either wired or wireless (depending on current needs).

Dec 31 14 07:50 pm Link