Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > the deflatriots...caught again

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/12 … nship-game

a cheat is a cheat. zebras can't lose their stripes, etc. and as trivial as under inflating footballs may seem, it's a culture that has been a part of belichick's mo. enough already. ban him for a year. give him a payton. he, and the whiner.

yep, the partiot way...cheat. losers.

Jan 20 15 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

This is not the first time the Cheaters Cheat.  Roger Goodell will make a bad ruling....National Fail League.

Jan 20 15 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Daren King

Santa Monica, California, US

At this stage I don't believe you can conclude there was any cheating.    First you must prove that someone from the Patriots was responsible and then that it was knowingly and intentionally done.
Also, ESPN reported that no balls from the Colts were tested.
The night of the game it was dark, cold and wet.  All of these factors contribute to air pressure.

Jan 20 15 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Daren King wrote:
At this stage I don't believe you can conclude there was any cheating.    First you must prove that someone from the Patriots was responsible and then that it was knowingly and intentionally done.
The night of the game it was dark, cold and wet.  All of these factors contribute to air pressure.

you forgot that guy at the grassy knoll. lol

this is not going away...and Uncle Goodell, who makes bad rulings will continue that trend and only take away future drafts.

Jan 20 15 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Daren King wrote:

the whole reason this was brought up was d'qwell jackson felt the ball he intercepted was under inflated. otherwise, nobody would have noticed from the colts side of the ball. he brought it up, the coaching staff reported it to walt anderson, and he did the rest.

11 of 12 game balls under inflated. and by enough to raise more than eyebrows. get over it, they cheated. the only thing left is to determine the punishment. it won't matter in the sb (and it shouldn't). i want the seahawks to trounce them with no excuses.

considering their penchant for cheating, the patsies need to be hit hard. and i mean hard enough to where their shenanigans get curtailed...for good. belichick needs to go sit in a cave for a year. and he can take brady with him.

Jan 20 15 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:
the whole reason this was brought up was d'qwell jackson felt the ball he intercepted was under inflated. otherwise, nobody would have noticed from the colts side of the ball. he brought it up, the coaching staff reported it to walt, and he did the rest.

11 of 12 game balls under inflated. and by enough to raise more than eyebrows. get over it, they cheated. the only thing left is to determine the punishment. it won't matter in the sb (and it shouldn't). i want the seahawks to trounce them with no excuses.

considering their penchant for cheating, the patsies need to be hit hard. and i mean hard enough to where their shenanigans get curtailed...for good. belichick needs to go sit in a cave for a year. and he can take brady with him.

it's comical that their natural line of defense will be to toss walt coleman under the bus. the irony would be rabelaisian.

and why 11 of 12... gotta have a kick ball at normal pressure or it won't kick right/be flat for FG

NFL will give them a slap on the wrist and send the message that cheating is okay, as long as you win.

Jan 20 15 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

DougBPhoto wrote:
NFL will give them a slap on the wrist and send the message that cheating is okay, as long as you win.

i don't think so. nothing will be done until after the super bowl, but expect some serious punishment. they already hit them with draft picks and major fines, after spy-gate, but this could be even harder this time. vavoom could be sitting home next year, watching from his living room...he should be.

Jan 20 15 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Personally I would like to see them DQ'ed if found to be guilty and take the win away. Yep, let the Colts go to the bowl.

That will never happen... probably just a fine and lose some picks.

Way to send a message Goodell. Yet another fail.

Jan 20 15 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Kev Lawson wrote:
Personally I would like to see them DQ'ed if found to be guilty and take the win away. Yep, let the Colts go to the bowl.

That will never happen... probably just a fine and lose some picks.

Way to send a message Goodell. Yet another fail.

that's why i'm saying, he (vavoom) will probably be sat down for a year. if not, payton will be banging on goodell's door, looking to throw down.

fool me once...fool me twice...but, fool me thrice???

Jan 20 15 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:
i don't think so. nothing will be done until after the super bowl, but expect some serious punishment. they already hit them with draft picks and major fines, after spy-gate, but this could be even harder this time. vavoom could be sitting home next year, watching from his living room...he should be.

as Kev said, they should be DQed.

Yeah, bummer that it is inconveniently right before the Superbowl, but they CHEATED to win the game to get into the Superbowl, they should not retain the right to play in it, and even possibly win it.

Who cares about next season, if it gets them the wins now, and those types of "punishment" are too little, too late.

Love the sport, just a shame that the idiots running it should be fired.

Jan 20 15 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Daren King

GK photo wrote:
the whole reason this was brought up was d'qwell jackson felt the ball he intercepted was under inflated. otherwise, nobody would have noticed from the colts side of the ball. he brought it up, the coaching staff reported it to walt anderson, and he did the rest.

** correction : media outlets are reporting that Jackson, off the record, is saying he never reported the balls

Jan 21 15 12:10 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

GK photo wrote:

Daren King wrote:
** correction : media outlets are reporting that Jackson, off the record, is saying he never reported the balls

well, then, we'll just wait and see. someone reported it. i could see him saying that, now. but that's just me. i hardly think the nfl wanted this mess, right before the 'big game'.

vavoom was probably too busy getting his 'ineligible' and 'eligible' linemen/receivers packages in order to keep an eye on the ball boy. man, if they have film of the ball boy deflating balls, that would be priceless. smile

Jan 21 15 12:16 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:
vavoom was probably too busy getting his 'ineligible' and 'eligible' linemen/receivers packages in order to keep an eye on the ball boy. man, if they have film of the ball boy deflating balls, that would be priceless. smile

I think it was some guy in a hoodie

Jan 21 15 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Why wouldn't you cheat in every possible way in the NFL? What are the penalties for getting caught? How many Super Bowl titles were the Patriots striped of when they were caught last time? A deflated ball wouldn't have made a difference against the Colts, but if they did it during the close Ravens game???

Now let's stop this pointless thread before we make Tom Brady cry.

Jan 21 15 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Robb Mann wrote:

lol

Jan 21 15 02:35 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Ya know....it's possible the Dolts had a mole on the other side of the field, and they're the ones who did this. They did the Pats balls so the blame would be laid on them.

10 more days & no more football, right? big_smile

Jan 21 15 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

What's the old sports adage, "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying."

Jan 21 15 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Considering how bad Andrew Luck & the entire Colts team played that day, the can use all the excuses they can get.

Jan 21 15 03:38 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
Considering how bad Andrew Luck & the entire Colts team played that day, the can use all the excuses they can get.

Notre Dame could have beat the Colts...

Jan 21 15 04:03 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I had always assumed the footballs were regulated by -- and under the control of -- the refs.  My bad.  Perhaps they will make a few changes in this area now.  Why aren't the footballs inspected during the game?

I am curious as to why none of the Colts footballs were inspected during/after the game (if true).  Seems like a thorough investigation would involve checking all of the footballs available for play that day.

If found guilty, the Patriots should be barred from the playoffs next year (IMO).  Meaningful punishment goes a long way towards modifying bad behavior.

two cents

Jan 21 15 05:43 am Link

Photographer

photoguy42

Toledo, Ohio, US

This comment is mostly based on an article I read about this story a few minutes ago.

Could we please, stop referring to every scandalous thing as "blank-Gate"?

Watergate wasn't a scandal about water and thus called Watergate because of it. It was called that because it took place at the Watergate Office Complex.

So to add "gate" to the end of a word associated with a scandal is just stupid and lazy reporting.

Jan 21 15 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

So let me get this straight

The Colts couldn't hold on to their balls tight
they got no luck when they bounced to the left,and to the right...

Bon Scott was a prophet

Jan 21 15 06:31 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Robb Mann wrote:

it all makes sense now. all that whining and boohooing is probably attributable to how his balls are under inflated.

Jan 21 15 07:34 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Jay  Edwards wrote:
I had always assumed the footballs were regulated by -- and under the control of -- the refs.  My bad.  Perhaps they will make a few changes in this area now.  Why aren't the footballs inspected during the game?

I am curious as to why none of the Colts footballs were inspected after the game.  Seems like a thorough investigation would involve checking all of the footballs available for play that day.

If found guilty, the Patriots should be barred from the playoffs next year.  Meaningful punishment goes a long way towards modifying bad behavior.

two cents

Yes. As is usually the case in life, it's a problem of insufficient new regulation and enforcing of existing regulation.

Jan 21 15 07:42 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

For years I have been playing with my own deflated balls! 😜😝😜😜

Roger Badell will make a ruling, based on not seeing all facts, and Ray Lewis's Video.

Jan 21 15 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
Yes. As is usually the case in life, it's a problem of insufficient new regulation and enforcing of existing regulation.

It never ceases to amuse me that people think "new regulation" is the answer in the face of "failure to enforce existing regulation."

Jan 21 15 08:25 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Caradoc wrote:
It never ceases to amuse me that people think "new regulation" is the answer in the face of "failure to enforce existing regulation."

Oh, I was just agreeing with Jay.

Jan 21 15 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

"Cheat"?  That's premature, I think.  Some thoughts...

...  Has it been proved that someone employed by the Patriots is responsible for deflating these balls?
     On purpose?  Because they believed that the deflated balls gave the Patriots a needed advantage?
...  What is the effect of measuring the balls in the warm locker room and then taking the balls out in
     the 20 degree weather?
...  At least 2 officials handled every ball after each play.  Why didn't they accept the balls each time?
...  How do the Patriot game balls compare to the Colt game balls?
...  Who here thinks this made any bit of difference in the final score?
...  Why are the teams, and not the league, responsible for game balls?

I'm always a skeptical and often cynical.  For example:  there will always be people who will form an opinion absent facts, investigations, and proofs.  Me?  Answer the questions above, and I'll be more ready to form an opinion.

We might as easily claim the Seahawks are cheating by causing a distracting controversy in advance of the Super Bowl.

Jan 21 15 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
We might as easily claim the Seahawks are cheating by causing a distracting controversy in advance of the Super Bowl.

You may be on to something there! lol tongue

Jan 21 15 09:13 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

The Colts got their asses handed to them...end of story.

Jan 21 15 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

They say it was discovered in the 2nd quarter.  Looks like it helped a lot outscoring the colts 30-0.  I don't condone cheating, but if you think this is the only time this has happened throughout the history of the NFL your crazy or just hate the Patriots. Shit like this happens all the time. Coaches stretch the rules as far as they can as do players. Scuffing balls etc.  They would have beat the Colts if they were throwing a bowling ball around.

Jan 21 15 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The Patriots are cheaters? In other news, water is wet.

Looknsee Photography wrote:
"Cheat"?  That's premature, I think.  Some thoughts...

I'ts not premature. It's pretty much established fact at this point. The NFL has even acknowledged this.

...  Has it been proved that someone employed by the Patriots is responsible for deflating these balls?

Yes

On purpose?  Because they believed that the deflated balls gave the Patriots a needed advantage?

Yes. Tom Brady has stated in the past that if given the choice, he prefers the balls to be under inflated. That gives them motive.

...  What is the effect of measuring the balls in the warm locker room and then taking the balls out in
     the 20 degree weather?

You're making an assumption that the balls were inflated in the locker room and not on the field.

...  At least 2 officials handled every ball after each play.  Why didn't they accept the balls each time?

It's entirely possible they didn't notice. Officials have a million things they are dealing with on the field and the thought as to whether or not the balls were properly inflated probably didn't occur to them. That's what makes cheating on this level work so well. It probably happens often and is frequently not caught. This time it was.

...  How do the Patriot game balls compare to the Colt game balls?

The Cots' balls were all inflated within regulation standards.

...  Who here thinks this made any bit of difference in the final score?

In this particular case, probably not a huge amount. The game was a massacre from the start. That truly is not the point though. Let's say the game ended Patriots 21, Colts 17. It would be very easy to say that the under inflated balls gave the Pats a powerful advantage during their offence and yet the penalty for cheating would have been the same as it is now.

...  Why are the teams, and not the league, responsible for game balls?

An excellent question. My bet is that when you have an official handle the balls, you are leaving big decisions up to just a small amount of people who can be bought and sway the game (ala Soccer, which is rife with cheating and bribed officials). When you make the teams responsible, then they can be penalized. The problem is, the penalty is usually just a slap on the wrist, as is happening right now with the Pats.

Jan 21 15 09:51 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:
They say it was discovered in the 2nd quarter.  Looks like it helped a lot outscoring the colts 30-0.  I don't condone cheating, but if you think this is the only time this has happened throughout the history of the NFL your crazy or just hate the Patriots. Shit like this happens all the time. Coaches stretch the rules as far as they can as do players. Scuffing balls etc.  They would have beat the Colts if they were throwing a bowling ball around.

If it was discovered in the second quarter, why wasn't it called then?  The officials handle the ball at the end of every play, so if no official noticed anything or called anything during the game, to my it's a non issue.  A lot of controversy over nothing.

...and I'm not a Patriots fan and I don't give a shit who wins the Super Bowl

Jan 21 15 09:55 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

ernst tischler wrote:
If it was discovered in the second quarter, why wasn't it called then?  The officials handle the ball at the end of every play, so if no official noticed anything or called anything during the game, to my it's a non issue.  A lot of controversy over nothing.

...and I'm not a Patriots fan and I don't give a shit who wins the Super Bowl

The ball was removed from play for inspection.

...and Yes, Officials handle the ball before each play begins, every time - no Team Player gets to spot the ball.

It's My understanding that the Home Team supplies Footballs for the Game which are given to the Officials for inspection.

Any ball inflated at 75 degrees (indoors) is going to deflate slightly outdoors in colder temps, it's the law of Physics.

Jan 21 15 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Fifty One Imaging wrote:
It's My understanding that the Home Team supplies Footballs for the Game which are given to the Officials for inspection.

Nope.

Each team brings 12 balls to the game and they get to use their own balls while on offense.

Jan 21 15 10:51 am Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

First of all, what kind of idiot policy is it that teams bring their own balls? The NFL should be supplying official ones.

Secondly, the idea that the balls were inflated at room temp. and then placed outside, reducing their internal pressure because of the cold, is completely sound. If the Pats inflated the ball to the minimum required at room temp, and they got mushy later in the cold, well, good for them for using their heads.

Jan 21 15 02:26 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

JJMiller wrote:
First of all, what kind of idiot policy is it that teams bring their own balls? The NFL should be supplying official ones.

Secondly, the idea that the balls were inflated at room temp. and then placed outside, reducing their internal pressure because of the cold, is completely sound. If the Pats inflated the ball to the minimum required at room temp, and they got mushy later in the cold, well, good for them for using their heads.

I don't care who supplies the footballs or where they were inflated.

The officials of the game are responsible for the fair play of the game, if they failed to check or noticed an improperly inflated ball during the play of the game and as a result failed to call it during the game...then there is nothing to cry about now.

The Colts got their asses handed to them, end of story.

Jan 21 15 02:38 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Another reason to dislike the Patriots.... Yay!

I'm not a Seahawks fan at all. I'm actually not a big fan of any team, really but I will absolutely be rooting for them in a couple of weeks. If I can watch Tom Brady and his underrated self and his team lose ANOTHER Super Bowl knowing they cheated, it will be a sweet victory.

Oh yeah, this is pretty hilarious; http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation … super-bowl

Jan 21 15 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

ernst tischler wrote:

I don't care who supplies the footballs or where they were inflated.

The officials of the game are responsible for the fair play of the game, if they failed to check or noticed an improperly inflated ball during the play of the game and as a result failed to call it during the game...then there is nothing to cry about now.

The Colts got their asses handed to them, end of story.

Indeed. Don't the officials handle the footballs throughout the game?  Interesting they didn't notice anything--or at least say anything...  The plot thickens!

Jan 21 15 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Daren King

Apparently the balls that were underinflated were only used in the first half of the game.

Brady's performance was far worse in the first half compared to second half.

Apparently no testing was done on the balls used by the Colts.

Every pro and college quarterback interviewed on ESPN today said that they have used "manipulated" balls in their careers.

In football this is considered very minor "cheating".

Also, Blunt rushed for 3 touchdowns so they still beat the Colts 21-7, haha

Jan 21 15 03:22 pm Link