Forums > Model Colloquy > When is it safe to start asking for paid work?

Model

sarah tonin

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-The Dave- wrote:
I'm curious, what are you majoring in college?

Chemistry

Feb 22 15 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

vivian rose wrote:
I've had offers from photographers who were willing to pay me. It was surprising because I don't have a lot of experience under my belt and only a few photos in my portfolio. They were the ones who set the rate (it was $100 for 2 hours I think). I had declined the offer because the photographer's background was sketchy and his photos were not great.

$50 per hour is not particularly high.  Beginning photographers are offering to pay so that you will work with them.  Some models are willing to work with all photographers regardless of skill level but certainly you shouldn't work with someone you consider to be sketchy.

vivian rose wrote:
I am still unsure as to when trade is appropriate and when asking for paid assignments are appropriate.

Consider it to be a negotiation.

vivian rose wrote:
What sets a nude photo apart from a clothed one? The fact that the model is naked?

Yes, of course.  But nude or clothed, I want the image to have a purpose.

vivian rose wrote:
It's all about sex.

I suggest that you take a quick look at the images in my Art Figure Studies album.  Most are 18+, some are sexy, some are not.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/5 … l#/A340646

Feb 22 15 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

vivian rose wrote:
I wasn't referring to the actual act of sex..........but look at the profiles of the models who have nudes included in their portfolio. The nude pictures are always the most viewed, most commented on, most listed, most talked about, etc. Why is that? Why are nude photos so special? Because they are "sexier". People want to see sexy. Why else would Victoria's Secret or even Playboy be so well-known?

People put the type of images in their ports that people want to see and samples of the market they want to target.

It's the same thing you should be doing with your portfolio, show what you want to do, show what you want to get paid to do.

Here on MM what most people want is nudes, sexy stuff and bacon.

Feb 22 15 05:28 pm Link

Model

sarah tonin

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mark Salo wrote:
But nude or clothed, I want the image to have a purpose.

Exactly at what I am trying to get at. What purpose do nude photos serve over clothed ones?

Feb 22 15 05:28 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

vivian rose wrote:
What sets a nude photo apart from a clothed one? The fact that the model is naked? The fact that a model has to get naked in order to see some type of success/recognition says a lot about this industry. It's all about sex.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Feb 22 15 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

vivian rose wrote:
Exactly at what I am trying to get at. What purpose do nude photos serve over clothed ones?

What purpose does a plain hamburger serve over a hamburger with everything?

Feb 22 15 05:32 pm Link

Model

D A N I

vivian rose wrote:

I wasn't referring to the actual act of sex..........but look at the profiles of the models who have nudes included in their portfolio. The nude pictures are always the most viewed, most commented on, most listed, most talked about, etc. Why is that? Why are nude photos so special? Because they are "sexier". People want to see sexy. Why else would Victoria's Secret or even Playboy be so well-known?

Again...you are wrong.

Feb 22 15 05:32 pm Link

Model

sarah tonin

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

D A N I wrote:
Again...you are wrong.

I looked at your profile and saw that your "nude" and "fetish" albums received far more attention than your other ones: ones that included pictures of you NOT naked.

Feb 22 15 05:36 pm Link

Model

D A N I

vivian rose wrote:
I looked at your profile and saw that your "nude" and "fetish" albums received far more attention than your other ones: ones that included pictures of you NOT naked.

My most viewed, commented photo is me in a bikini. Also, I advertise nude, erotic, fetish work. So of course my naked work will get more attention, why? because it's what I tell people to look at when applying for a fetish or erotic nude casting call.

I know nude models who has work that is far less sexual than mine. They have more artistic work because they are ART nude models. There is no open leg or T&A shots. Why are they naked? Because the human body is a beautiful canvas. Would you complain about the Venus de Milo because you can see her tits? Or the thousands of other nude statues in museums, and on public display?

What purpose does nude photos have over clothed? It depends on the story, the vision, the "what is the model portraying". One doesn't outweigh the other, but when it comes to internet modeling nude work brings home the bacon. Why? Because a photographer can throw a penny and hit 100 models that would model clothes for free. BUT maybe only 10% would model nude for free.

My body is my temple, and I charge admission.

Feb 22 15 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Mark Salo wrote:

vivian rose wrote:

There are many different purposes.  Did you look at my Art Figure Studies album like I asked?  None of these below would work with clothing.

This one shows abstract lines;
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141025/21/544c72eec0036_m.jpg

This one is hard to believe:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141101/19/5455938180ac1_m.jpg

This one is a study in contrasty lighting:
18+
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 87ab46.jpg

And gently flowing curves here:
18+
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 658d10.jpg

ETA:  Here is the same model as in the top three images.  Yes, clothed for a different purpose.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150222/18/54ea8f6dac7c3_m.jpg

Feb 22 15 05:51 pm Link

Model

sarah tonin

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have nothing against modeling nude. It takes a special type of person to model nude, and I don't think I've built up the confidence or experience yet to try it.
On another note: I just got an email from a photographer (with a very nice portfolio) asking me what my rates are. Now I have no idea what to say! tongue

Feb 22 15 06:30 pm Link

Model

sarah tonin

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mark Salo wrote:

There are many different purposes.  Did you look at my Art Figure Studies album like I asked?  None of these below would work with clothing.

This one shows abstract lines;
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141025/21/544c72eec0036_m.jpg

This one is hard to believe:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141101/19/5455938180ac1_m.jpg

This one is a study in contrasty lighting:
18+
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 87ab46.jpg

And gently flowing curves here:
18+
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 658d10.jpg

I did look at them and you have a very good point.

Feb 22 15 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

J-PhotoArt

San Francisco, California, US

vivian rose wrote:

It appears from your recents statements that you have some real deep issue with nude images and the nude body!

Feb 22 15 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

vivian rose wrote:
What sets a nude photo apart from a clothed one? The fact that the model is naked? The fact that a model has to get naked in order to see some type of success/recognition says a lot about this industry. It's all about sex.

Nude photos and sex are completely different things. That kind of attitude will not get you far.

You ask a question, and obviously don't like the answers that you are getting. Really, you have two choices:

1. Accept reality, that the market is what it is, and work in that market.

2. Move on to a different hobby.

Feb 22 15 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

vivian rose wrote:
I have nothing against modeling nude. It takes a special type of person to model nude, and I don't think I've built up the confidence or experience yet to try it.

That's really OK.

vivian rose wrote:
On another note: I just got an email from a photographer (with a very nice portfolio) asking me what my rates are. Now I have no idea what to say! tongue

Tell him $35 per hour plus travel.  Ask about wardrobe and makeup.

BTW did you see my edit above?

Feb 22 15 06:34 pm Link

Model

sarah tonin

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

J-PhotoArt wrote:

It appears from your recents statements that you have some real deep issue with nude images and the nude body!

Not at all. I'm just pointing out the fact that nude photos receive far more attention than clothed ones.

Feb 22 15 06:35 pm Link

Model

sarah tonin

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mark Salo wrote:

That's really OK.

Tell him $35 per hour plus travel.

BTW did you see my edit above?

Yes I did lol

Feb 22 15 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

vivian rose wrote:

Not at all. I'm just pointing out the fact that nude photos receive far more attention than clothed ones.

Hmm ... and that's bad?

Feb 22 15 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

J-PhotoArt

San Francisco, California, US

vivian rose wrote:

But your responses seem to indicate that you do have problems with it, at least as I am seeing it.  Maybe I am the only one getting this feeling from your responses?

If you do not like and / or have a problem nudes, then do not look at them and / or do not participate in any shoots with nudity.  However, do not look down upon and / or judge those that do not share your views and do participate in posing for and creating nude images!

Feb 22 15 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

vivian rose wrote:

Quote him/her what you feel you are worth.

Feb 22 15 06:51 pm Link

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

D A N I wrote:

My most viewed, commented photo is me in a bikini. Also, I advertise nude, erotic, fetish work. So of course my naked work will get more attention, why? because it's what I tell people to look at when applying for a fetish or erotic nude casting call.

I know nude models who has work that is far less sexual than mine. They have more artistic work because they are ART nude models. There is no open leg or T&A shots. Why are they naked? Because the human body is a beautiful canvas. Would you complain about the Venus de Milo because you can see her tits? Or the thousands of other nude statues in museums, and on public display?

What purpose does nude photos have over clothed? It depends on the story, the vision, the "what is the model portraying". One doesn't outweigh the other, but when it comes to internet modeling nude work brings home the bacon. Why? Because a photographer can throw a penny and hit 100 models that would model clothes for free. BUT maybe only 10% would model nude for free.

My body is my temple, and I charge admission.

that end quote though....

Feb 22 15 07:16 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

vivian rose wrote:

Modeling nude has nothing to do with experience. My very first shoot was nude. It is about confidence and not having hang ups about your body. Modeling nude has given me MORE confidence for what it's worth.

Ask the photographer what his budget is. Put the ball in his court.

Feb 22 15 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

there are those who feel you either do it for the money or for the images. when i pay a model i don't feel obligated to provide images and also we're shooting what i want, not what she wants. so there are some differences between TF and getting paid (depending on the photographer).

why are you here? to help pay the bills or just to have fun and make some (hopefully) great pictures?

some of the models i know who get paid put up with all sorts of stuff to get their money.

so long as  you don't need images for your portfolio why turn down money? even if every picture is blurry you still get your money. unless you think the photographer is unsafe.

vivian rose wrote:
I've had offers from photographers who were willing to pay me. It was surprising because I don't have a lot of experience under my belt and only a few photos in my portfolio. They were the ones who set the rate (it was $100 for 2 hours I think). I had declined the offer because the photographer's background was sketchy and his photos were not great. It all just seems very vague. I am still unsure as to when trade is appropriate and when asking for paid assignments are appropriate.

Feb 22 15 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

vivian rose wrote:

So, you might consider finding a photographer whose nude work you admire and pay that person to do a nude shoot with you. By picking someone trustworthy you can guarantee you have control over the images and can trash them later if you want, but you might find that you both enjoy the experience and have a heightened level of self confidence for ALL kinds of shoots going forward

Feb 22 15 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

vivian rose wrote:
Hello,

I am just starting out in modeling. I have done a couple trade shoots and a couple shoots where I have paid the photographer. Once I get all of my photos sorted I will have a good size portfolio that hits quite a few different genres. My question is, how much longer should I go before I set a rate and start asking for paid work? I understand the importance of trade shoots, especially if you are just starting out. However, you can only do so many trade shoots to where it doesn't really benefit you (the model) anymore, and it is just a repetition of shooting the same genres for free.

Negative, grasshopper. You parlay your current book and test (trade) up, meaning working with better talent, to shoot better material. You then replace the old shot with the new, better shot.

EVERYBODY tests. Everybody. It's just a matter of with who.

Feb 22 15 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

for the OP...reason the nude work gets more attention...look at the magazines that exist or websites...do you know of a magazine that sells and is still in business that does not except for the female glamour mags that have top beauty and fashion....if you fit that, have the skills and the look, you can get paid....if not, your competing with every lovely girl out there that is paying to build her port or tf shoot...believe it or not...photographers do get paid to do pictures..not just "models"...

Feb 22 15 08:26 pm Link

Model

sarah tonin

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

mophotoart wrote:
....if not, your competing with every lovely girl out there that is paying to build her port or tf shoot...believe it or not...photographers do get paid to do pictures..not just "models"...

I am one of those "models" who has invested over $500 so far to get her portfolio started. So yes I do know that "photographers" get paid too.

Feb 22 15 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

ok...and you are  networking, all good...now...get results from that money you spent to build your port...with your looks, you can get a lot of tf shoots from photographers that will get you shots you can use also...just my thoughts...Mo

Feb 22 15 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

Your alternative to getting paid for photo shoots is to do them free, so I don't see why you shouldn't immediately start asking for money when you feel it would be appropriate. One way to start is to offer a moderate range of fees so it's easier for photographers to justify paying you. You can still add to your portfolio and at the same time make it more worthwhile for yourself.

Feb 22 15 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

vivian rose wrote:

Mark Salo wrote:

What purpose do nude art paintings and statues serve over clothed ones?  They are in museums.   big_smile

Feb 22 15 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

A couple of this and a couple of that, sounds like a raw beginner to me.

You might ask for a nominal fee, to help with expenses, but that hardly constitutes "experience". When you have a port that shows all of your genres, in excellent imagery, then you have demonstrated experience that justifies payment for your time.

Feb 23 15 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

vivian rose wrote:

Lingerie photos showing no nudity are far more sexual than most of the nudes I shoot, IMO. Context is everything. Please don't be one of those people that goes around thinking nudity=sex. Ugh. Expand your horizons a little.

Nudes are far more appealing to look at than clothed photos, for many. They are more vulnerable. They require more from the model than clothed photos--emotionally and physically. There is also the stigma/risk associated with them from people that think nudes=sex. THAT is why models get paid more to shoot nudes.

If you want to get paid, it's certainly an easier way to do so. Otherwise, you'll have a tough time. The photographers that have crappy work are more willing to pay models (even for clothed) because the models know they're not going to get good photos out of it. That's likely a lot of the paid offers you'll get (if you're not interested in nudes). I wouldn't be so quick to shun those offers.

Feb 23 15 10:21 am Link

Photographer

CBs Photography

Ontario, California, US

Lots of great comments and suggestions, but back to your original question, When is it safe to start asking for paid work? My answer would be when you think you're good enough that photographers will pay you.  The market will tell you if you're right or wrong.  For example, make a price list of what you will charge for the various types of modeling your willing to do?  When you send a photographer a rate, if you are constantly being rejected, then the rate is probably too high, so you will have to lower it until you start seeing a rate that is acceptable.  Then you have to decide if you want to work for that rate.  Everything's a hobby until you want to start getting paid, then it becomes a business.  So you have to treat it like a business.

Feb 23 15 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Zhiffy Photography

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

To be honest, it'll be really really difficult for you to go far at 5'4" and if you want to get paid, it'll mostly be from hobbyist photographers.
Unless you get a really rich one, it'll be hard to actually earn from modelling.

That said, the way I do it is, if the team is amazing and I know the photo would be helpful in my portfolio, I'm willing to lower my rates or even trade (if it's not for commercial usage). So for you, if the job is completely boring, photographer's portfolio uninspiring and does nothing for your own, then charge him so you don't waste your time.

Feb 23 15 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

vivian rose wrote:

I've been puzzling over how to respond to this statement for a couple of days.  It's very hard to explain to someone who, for whatever reason, simply disapproves of nudity in art and either cannot or will not see the difference between an artistic expression and smut.  It's like explaining why you love your husband or wife to someone who dislikes him or her.  The best I can do is this bit of dialogue from "Man of La Mancha":  http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/manoflam … ikehim.htm

If it doesn't make sense to someone, then the problem is probably not with the artistic expression but with that person's artistic sensibilities instead.

Feb 23 15 11:34 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

vivian rose wrote:
Hello,

I am just starting out in modeling. I have done a couple trade shoots and a couple shoots where I have paid the photographer. .

No idea which photographer is which as in paid or tf on your port but did any of them tell you how to pose your hands ?

Feb 23 15 01:59 pm Link

Model

Blaire_

Portland, Oregon, US

vivian rose wrote:

I've had offers from photographers who were willing to pay me. It was surprising because I don't have a lot of experience under my belt and only a few photos in my portfolio. They were the ones who set the rate (it was $100 for 2 hours I think). I had declined the offer because the photographer's background was sketchy and his photos were not great. It all just seems very vague. I am still unsure as to when trade is appropriate and when asking for paid assignments are appropriate.

you don't get paid for "great photos"  You get paid for your time.  I often shoot with photographers even though I don't love their photos, it's part of the job.  If I only shot with people who's photos I loved, it would be a hobby.  There will be time for TF if you want to get great, artistic photos.  Unless your boundaries are being crossed, you should accept (after checking references.  No need to be so skeptical, Most of us in the industry use pseudonyms and try to keep our personal life separate).  You have to do some thinking.  Do you only want to shoot what YOU want to shoot?  That's fine, You will be a hobbyist and you will most likely not make any money.  Do you want to try to make something of this?  That works too, but you will have to come out of your shell, take some risks (this includes not treating every photographer like a creep) and shoot what your CLIENT wants you to shoot (excluding your mentioned boundaries).

Good luck!

Feb 23 15 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
Wow you can really stand to work with top photographer TF a while longer.  What are you hoping to accomplish as a 5'4" model. Fashion? Runway? Internet modeling for the newbie photographers and hobby guys?  Really great images for your Facebook. Seems you need to work out why you are doing this

vivian rose wrote:
I believe I was asking for advice, not a snobby comment.

I didn't view that as a snobby comment. It looked to me like a serious attempt to answer your original question. But whatever . . . .

Feb 23 15 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Do not have firm rates. If you love the photographer's work, offer a trade shoot, or pay the photographer. If you find the photographer's work boring or banal, charge much more than you might another photographer who produces good results. Decline the ones that have concepts you dislike.

As to nudes, artwork for thousands of years have glorified the female form naked. You'll turn off more photographers by questioning their basic DNA than to simply state (as is clear in your profile sidebar) you do not shoot nudes.

Feb 23 15 02:39 pm Link

Model

Bon voyage MM

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I didn't read these yet, mostly because I think there is only one answer. Freelance modeling is basically marketing, unless you are doing it "just for the art", but I doubt you are otherwise this question would be moot.

You are ready to accept payment when you have presented yourself in such a way that people want to pay you. That could happen right after a girls first few test shots, after a shoot or two, or maybe 6 months. Obviously your look matters but it's not the only thing going on. There are a lot of thinner, more attractive, more perfect girls out there, for any of us. But most of them are lazy. Be the one that does something every single day to further your goals in modeling.

You are the commodity, make yourself a precious one.

Feb 23 15 04:07 pm Link