Forums > Photography Talk > Naming a Photography Business

Model

Hillaire

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I was recently bought a camera before I left for college; I am looking to make a small business while I go to college, because I was told to "get a hobby".

I am struggling with names. Where did everyone else get their inspiration?. Did it come from your name? mine is Hillaire K-dean Hess. I do not think you can make anything out of that. Ideas please?.

Mar 31 15 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Well there's the obvious... Hilarious Photography. smile

Mar 31 15 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Los Angeles, California, US

DespayreFX wrote:
Well there's the obvious... Hilarious Photography. smile

haha, it has my vote.

Mar 31 15 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Hillaire wrote:
I was recently bought a camera before I left for college; I am looking to make a small business while I go to college, because I was told to "get a hobby".

I am struggling with names. Where did everyone else get their inspiration?. Did it come from your name? mine is Hillaire K-dean Hess. I do not think you can make anything out of that. Ideas please?.

I simply use my name.  It's the most practical thing to do in my opinion if you're going to freelance and you are not going to start a big portrait studio with multiple photographers working under you.

This is because, when you are out there marketing you're going to be introducing yourself...how? By your name. You want to make it easier for people remember both who you are and your business name. If they are one in the same you've just helped them retain both.

It is easier for them to look you up and find you when needed too. Your name is already (most likely) ranked with google and search engines. Easier to tweak your online presence than to start from scratch and build a new one up.

A name is usually more prestigious too. Think about the great photographers. They all use their name and not a hokey business name.  Again, only the big successful portrait studios that have multiple photographers working under a common brand name opt to use such instead of a single photographer's name.  It's part of their brand...being a network of photographers.

Anyhow, that's my opinion.

Mar 31 15 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

I also use my name - there was this same question in the mua forum recently.
For creatives, it makes sense to use your name, not some fictitious business name.
It's all about branding and client recognition. They are going to remember your name not some made-up corporate name.

Mar 31 15 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

alexphotog

New York, New York, US

you don't need a business if you're taking on a hobby.

Mar 31 15 05:13 pm Link

Model

Hillaire

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I agree on the name "Hilarious Photography" - Oh my it deserves a metal and though its a hobby I think a name would still be suitable, who knows maybe I would want a small business some day. I have always loved capturing creative things and instead of a story to tell you had an image to show.

Thank you all for your input. I am leaning towards using my name, you opened my eyes to what it really means for me and my hobby and potential business possibly.

Mar 31 15 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Danny Steyn

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Something to consider. When naming your business, you should also look way into the future and imagine what you are going to do with your business when you are ready to retire! Something that I did not initially do when I started out as it was the last thing on my mind. I started at 18!

As the business grew and we started hiring employees, and it looked like some of them might stay on for some time, I realized that I would not ever want to sell my name, so I created a new business name and started promoting and developing the new brand Adept Studios. It has taken at least 6 years for the brand to catch hold, but it seems to be working.

When I am ready to retire, the business, along with the studio itself, will hopefully have some momentum, a book of clients, ongoing repeat business, and after my exit might be worth something to one of the indentured employees, or possibly someone from the outside.

Apr 07 15 07:53 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Hillaire wrote:
I agree on the name "Hilarious Photography" - Oh my it deserves a medal

Any chance I can just get the cash equivalent? smile lol, glad you liked! smile

Apr 07 15 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
I also use my name - there was this same question in the mua forum recently.
For creatives, it makes sense to use your name, not some fictitious business name.
It's all about branding and client recognition. They are going to remember your name not some made-up corporate name.

I'll agree.

Had I to do it over, I'd go with my name over Good Egg.  I thought I was being cute and clever 12 years ago when I started, but what's done is done.  The best I can work with is branding and a logo, but you can do that just as easily with a name if you keep it simple and clean.

Apr 07 15 08:25 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Someone once told me to create an LLC or Corp with a generic name, like Mike Enterprises then use a DBA for the "fun name" such as "Polarized Photography."  One advantage is that you can create any number of ventures with names for targeted markets with DBA's and not have to hassle about the underlying paperwork of the corporation as you create and dispose of them over the years.  Or, think of a better name later without getting the lawyers and banks involved.

For an artist, would make more sense to simply name the business after yourself because you're promoting yourself, not your craft.

imho

Apr 07 15 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Larry Sparks Photo

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Gary Livingston wrote:

haha, it has my vote.

Mine too!! Its catchy! I shouldve tought of that! Lol!

Apr 17 15 01:00 pm Link