Forums > Photography Talk > Why are Canon's used so much for Fashion? vs Nikon

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I think the most interesting new releases aren't from Nikon or Canon - they're from Sony. And it has nothing at all to do with the cameras themselves. The most interesting thing is that there is a pro-level camera that works with most any lens you want to use, aside from other brands' mirrorless lenses. Fuji and Olympus make great cameras too, but they don't have a 'universal' pro camera like Sony does.

Want to use Canon lenses? Buy a Canon or a Sony.

Nikon lenses? Buy a Nikon or a Sony.

Leica lenses? Buy a Leica or a Sony.

Once Canon and Nikon finally get their shit together and make some 'real' mirrorless cameras, we'll be able to shop lenses and cameras independently. People used to say that Nikon made better lenses, and Canon better cameras. Maybe, or maybe that's just something Nikon users said to justify not switching. I have no idea - I was a Nikon shooter too back then.

I figure that for 90% of photographers, we're less than a decade away from the camera brand being totally irrelevant.

May 15 15 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
Ask me how I know that Hassi's will bounce and still keep on working.

I was asking "Natural Light on Location", and how he knew the Canon AE1 would withstand a 5ft drop onto concrete, (because he asked first).
-Don

May 15 15 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Solas wrote:

Hunger and thirst?

The taste of advertising and marketing.

May 16 15 01:32 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:
Not sure if your assessment is accurate. So many of the top shooters I am aware of use both the Nikon or Canon pretty evenly dispersed.

Peter Lindbergh, Steve McCurr, Gilles Bensimon amongst others use Nikon...

Dan Howell wrote:
I'm not sure that is a representative sampling. I would caution against drawing a conclusion based on that pool of photographers.

I think this is the right answer.

May 16 15 05:23 am Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

Andrew00 wrote:
Hey,

In virtually every fashion shoot behind the scenes video that I've seen Canon DSLR's are used 95% of the time. Typically the 5dmk3 or the 1D series.

My question is why are Canon's therefore used so much more?

Excellent observation, Andrew!

The thing is it's also true when it comes to sports events, as well.

May 16 15 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Herman Surkis wrote:

You designed a hassy made of rubber?

May 16 15 11:19 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Bare Essential Photos wrote:
Excellent observation, Andrew!

The thing is it's also true when it comes to sports events, as well.

Could be something to do with Canon to sponsor the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games... and prior Olympics.

I suppose if Pentax sponsored the Olympics then everyone would be buying one.

May 16 15 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Peter House

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I know plenty of fashion shooters who use Nikon. Myself included.

At the end of the day, it is just a tool. Heck, I'm considering switching to Pentax.

Really doesn't matter.

May 16 15 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

because Canon's are better cameras

May 16 15 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

WIP wrote:
Could be something to do with Canon to sponsor the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games... and prior Olympics.

That's a strike, WIP, but that's okay.

My statement is based on my observations whenever I attend professional and college football, basketball, and baseball games, as well as track and field events.

I understand the same is true in European sporting events, as well.

May 16 15 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

WIP wrote:

Which Olympic games did you think Canon was an official sponsor? I didn't see them listed for Beijing, London or Rio as a worldwide sponsor or partner. They have certainly sponsored other events or individual teams, but it seems like the Tokyo games will be their first as a gold level sponsor--at least from what I read. Companies like Panasonic and Samsung have sponsored several Olympic games.

You might be confusing on-sight professional services with sponsorship. Both Nikon and Canon have equipment and professional services at major sporting events.

article re. London Olympics:
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/business/AJ201207260015

May 17 15 03:59 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Dan Howell wrote:
Which Olympic games did you think Canon was an official sponsor? I didn't see them listed for Beijing, London or Rio as a worldwide sponsor or partner. They have certainly sponsored other events or individual teams, but it seems like the Tokyo games will be their first as a gold level sponsor--at least from what I read. Companies like Panasonic and Samsung have sponsored several Olympic games.

You might be confusing on-sight professional services with sponsorship. Both Nikon and Canon have equipment and professional services at major sporting events.

article re. London Olympics:
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/business/AJ201207260015

I was persuaded to buy an AE1 Canon many years ago because they were official sponsors on the 19 ?? Olympics.
They also sponsor the IAAF World Championships. Example Moscow 2013 five billion TV viewers.
Special Olympics New York from 1970 - 2013.
New York Yankees since 2000.
And many more.

May 17 15 04:50 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

WIP wrote:
I was persuaded to buy an AE1 Canon many years ago because they were official sponsors on the 19 ?? Olympics.

1980? And that relates to the OP how...?

May 17 15 05:06 am Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

WIP wrote:

They also sponsor the IAAF World Championships. Example Moscow 2013 five billion TV viewers.
Special Olympics New York from 1970 - 2013.
New York Yankees since 2000.
And many more.

Again, I based my comments with my actual observations attending numerous events. None ot them were Olympic events or the NY Yankees.

Again, I understand the same is true in European events.

May 17 15 07:42 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Again, I based my comments with my actual observations attending numerous events. None ot them were Olympic events or the NY Yankees.

In my studio, I can tell you, quite definitively, NIkon cameras out number Canon cameras 3 to 1.  We have a number of guys who make their living with their camera.  All of them, except for one, shoot with Nikon.

It is factual, that Canon sells more cameras than Nikon.  When it comes to professional level DSLR's, the lead has swung back and forth.  John posted a photo of a sports event with a sea of white lenses.  That was in 2004.   When Canon came out with the 1D series, they dominated sports, until Nikon came out with the D3.  Within about a year, that sea of white lenses turned into a sea of black ones.  When Canon came out with the 1D IV, the numbers evened out.  Today, when I look at a TV sporting event, I see a lot of Canon lenses.  When I take the time to count them, there turn out to be about the same number of Nikons.  Sometimes I see a few more Nikons than Canons.  Other times I see a few more Canons than Nikons.

I have tried to stay out of this because it is another "Canon is better than Nikon" thread.  Honestly, I don't know why anyone cares.  I happen to shoot with Nikon just because I have been given a lot of them, and a lot of glass for free.  At this point, I own too much glass.  So when I buy a body myself, it is Nikon.  I used to be sponsored by Olympus.  Early on, I shot with an E-10 and then an E-1.  I loved the E-1.  They are just cameras.

The only conclusion you can draw is that you have seen more Canons than Nikons at the fashion shows you have been to.  If you want to make the statement "Most Professional Fashion Photographers Shoot with Canon," it would simply be untrue.  If you want to make the statement:  "Many Fashion Photographers Shoot with Canon," I would agree.

May 17 15 08:43 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Doh may not be Olympic but Moscow IAAF 2013 five billion TV viewers. that's a lot of advertising... if it's an official camera then it has to be good.... a bit like MucDonalds as sponsors is MucDonalds burger better than prime steak burger ... don't think so.

Canon out sell Phase One cameras but I know which I'd prefer to have.

May 17 15 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

WIP wrote:
Doh may not be Olympic but Moscow IAAF 2013 five billion TV viewers. that's a lot of advertising... if it's an official camera then it has to be good.... a bit like MucDonalds as sponsors is MucDonalds burger better than prime steak burger ... don't think so.

Canon out sell Phase One cameras but I know which I'd prefer to have.

Well, that's at least 3 strikes, but everything is going to be alright, WIP.

I prefer direct observations over "out of the blue" assumptions.

Obviously, there are many others who are happy with their choice of cameras even though it may not be what you have. There's nothing wrong with that, WIP.

May 17 15 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

nikon lost the dominance by being late.

late to full frame, canon came out with the 5D before the D700
late to video in full frame, the 5DII video gave it an edge
late to higher MP, 12 for the D700 vs 21 for 5DII

while the D700 was a game changer for available light and high ISO, the high res and 50-100 iso crowd was left out. now more have switched back, but lag gave canon a boost

May 17 15 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Riddell

Hemel Hempstead, England, United Kingdom

I'm UK based as well and am not suprised at your observations, though I'd personally put it about 80-85% Canon.

Nikon are second followed by medium format.

I have never seen anyone use a Olympus, Sony or whatever, despite the fans I really don't think they make professional models, even if some people argue the specs are similar or better. But there is a lot more to it than that that matters to professionals.

You are also correct in your obversations that the 1series dominates, though the 5d mkIII has quite a following and is a suprisingly good studio camera for the price. And again very little other models.

Going back years if you went by the quality of cameras, what they did and how they worked, Canon was the best for studio work (in an SLR format)

Nikon however had the press side sewn up as they produced very rugged and fast bodies and lenses that press guys need.
In press its closer to a 50 / 50 split. and you do see the odd newbie with a Sony.

These days in my opinion there is very little between Nikon and Canon, its just that many of us have a huge investment in Canon lenses and don't want to change.

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

May 18 15 06:27 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Simple answer, the 5D.  It broke a lot of new ground and dominated its era; winning over a lot of people who are now "in" the Canon system.

May 18 15 06:42 am Link

Model

Shei P

Brooklyn, New York, US

From what i hear from many older fashion shooters the reason so many switched to Canon from Nikon was -   

1. Canon EOS system - auto focus and faster "L" lenses - 50 1.2 / 85 1.2 etc. than Nikkors
2. Canon 5D

May 18 15 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Robb Mann wrote:
Canon cameras are very easy to identify in those group shots - that's actually the reason L lenses are white.

Actually, those Canon lenses are white to help prevent them from getting hot in the sun. Black lenses would absorb a lot of heat and the barrels could stretch. Not much, but enough to get the glass inside out of it's tolerance range and enough to prevent sharp images.

May 18 15 10:54 am Link

Photographer

photoguy35

Goodyear, Arizona, US

Solas wrote:

You designed a hassy made of rubber?

It's the "Michelin", the successor to the wood covered "Lunar"!

May 18 15 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Francisco Castro wrote:

Actually, those Canon lenses are white to help prevent them from getting hot in the sun. Black lenses would absorb a lot of heat and the barrels could stretch. Not much, but enough to get the glass inside out of it's tolerance range and enough to prevent sharp images.

I'm sick of hearing this. I'm calling bullshit.

If that was the ONLY reason, why aren't the lenses painted silver? And why not ALL lenses? Neither white nor black is the 'natural' colour, so cost is a minor issue, if any at all.

All good-quality lenses made since the 60s focus past infinity, for exactly this reason. So even before the white lenses came out, Canon had a solution to prevent heat from being a factor with prime lenses.

But let's give Canon the benefit of the doubt. Let's say white lenses really make a difference, and they're trademarked. Even though we see other white lenses. We'll pretend.

Why doesn't someone else make silver lenses? Zeiss has shown that they're willing to dedicate big R&D bucks to problems we'll never see, and make lenses that very few people will ever buy. But they're all still black.

Yes, I know M mount lenses come in silver. The manual lenses, with the most solid construction and the fewest moving parts, obviously have tighter tolerances than an Otus.

Bullshit.

White lenses are a marketing tactic, and every time someone says, 'well actually ...', all you're doing is proving that the marketing guys deserved their pay.

May 18 15 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
Why doesn't someone else make silver lenses? Zeiss has shown that they're willing to dedicate big R&D bucks to problems we'll never see, and make lenses that very few people will ever buy. But they're all still black.

Yes, I know M mount lenses come in silver. The manual lenses, with the most solid construction and the fewest moving parts, obviously have tighter tolerances than an Otus.

Bullshit.

You're just wrong on this, but more importantly this is just a useless tangent to the OP.

http://petapixel.com/2011/09/20/did-you … enses-too/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 … Super.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 … _Lens.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 … _6_ED.html

http://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/leic … r-400mm-28
http://www.slrlounge.com/worlds-most-ex … -r-1600mm/

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/33160194

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 … _Lens.html

May 19 15 04:40 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Peter House wrote:
I know plenty of fashion shooters who use Nikon. Myself included.

At the end of the day, it is just a tool. Heck, I'm considering switching to Pentax.

Really doesn't matter.

<---- Nikon User

But I've been seriously looking hard at the Pentax K3. Especially after I got to handle one at the last AZ Shootout. Don't know if I'd switch completely, but it would be a nice system to own in addition to.

I think one of the reasons Canon is more prominent is because whenever I walk into the big box stores (Wal Mart, Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, etc), I see nothing but Canon in the SLR section and only one or two lower end Nikons.

Hell, just look on Craig's List: Search Canon and you get a bunch of good stuff. Search Nikon and it's mostly their point and shoot products.

May 19 15 05:39 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Dan Howell wrote:
You're just wrong on this, but more importantly this is just a useless tangent to the OP.

http://petapixel.com/2011/09/20/did-you … enses-too/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 … Super.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 … _Lens.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 … _6_ED.html

http://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/leic … r-400mm-28
http://www.slrlounge.com/worlds-most-ex … -r-1600mm/

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/33160194

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 … _Lens.html

If you'll go back and read my original post Dan, you'll see that you've only proven my point.

I said that Canon is NOT the only company to make white lenses - just the only one to make then standard. Outside of a few Sony/Minolta lenses. And the silver lenses you mentioned were manual focus, just like the silver lenses I mentioned.

And no, it's not an off-topic rant. The OP asked why he saw more Canon, and a couple posters said that it was because the finish on their lenses made them superior. I called bullshit. If anything you've reinforced that idea, by linking to a couple of lenses that are even more highly regarded and are silver.

So no, Canon lenses are not superior based in their 'ideal heat dissipation characteristics,' because there are better ways to do it, and lots of non-Canon lenses with the same characteristics.

I'm not taking a stand for or against any brand here. I'm just saying that if the OP wants to know why Canon is better(if at all), he needs to look elsewhere for an answer.

May 19 15 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Historically, there has been a major different in the color coating between Nikon and Canon lenses.

I believe that the difference is more of a cultural preference than anything else.

Japanese prefer skintones to be more neutral and white, and they shoot more photos of nature than family/people

American/Europeans prefer skin to appear more warm toned and care more for skin tones rather than nature.

Canon's glass is coated to produce skin tones that are more red/yellow

Nikon's glass is coated more to the green/blue for nature

Back in the 1980's Canon decided to go after the American and European market and started coating their lenses to a different color standard than Nikon.

Canon was my sponsor during the '80's and '90's, and this was the explanation that I was given at the time as to what the basic difference was between the two brands.

This was the primary reason I switched from Nikon to Canon while I was shooting for Playboy.

KM

May 19 15 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

May 19 15 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I like the color of Canon lenses for shooting nude models.   smile

May 19 15 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Historically, there has been a major different in the color coating between Nikon and Canon lenses.

I believe that the difference is more of a cultural preference than anything else.

Japanese prefer skintones to be more neutral and white, and they shoot more photos of nature than family/people

American/Europeans prefer skin to appear more warm toned and care more for skin tones rather than nature.

Canon's glass is coated to produce skin tones that are more red/yellow

Nikon's glass is coated more to the green/blue for nature

Back in the 1980's Canon decided to go after the American and European market and started coating their lenses to a different color standard than Nikon.

Canon was my sponsor during the '80's and '90's, and this was the explanation that I was given at the time as to what the basic difference was between the two brands.

This was the primary reason I switched from Nikon to Canon while I was shooting for Playboy.

KM

Since you bring up colour, that's a huge benefit to the Canon system. Not for the individual shooters, but for the industry itself.

Currently, there are Nikon cameras that are more colour-accurate than Canon. There are also some that are worse. Every Canon is red, but not always to the same extent. But it is always red, every time. And even though the 5Dii was very possibly the reddest camera I've ever used, the important thing is that it's consistent with every other Canon. If you drop a memory card on an editor or retoucher's desk and tell them it was a Canon, the hardest part of colour correcting - figuring out what needs to be corrected - is already done before you even load the images.

They're so consistent that I can guess if a student shoots Canon with about a 90% accuracy just from seeing their images.

And in a professional industry, consistency is more important that almost anything else. Sure the D800 has better colour than the 5D series ... But the D600 doesn't, and the D750 almost does, but it's a different tint than the D800. Canon, reduce red saturation and shift them toward orange. Done. Nikon, you're going to have to screw around a little.

If Canon has a colour advantage in this day and age, where everything can be curved and masked into oblivion, that's it.

May 19 15 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Canon lenses are white so it's easier to spot the GWC's in a crowd..

May 19 15 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

JGC Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Herman Surkis wrote:

There is no way I would want to find out what happens when a digital back lands on the concrete...or an $8,000.00 leaf shutter lens for that matter!

Makes my groin hurt just thinking about it! smile

May 20 15 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Shashinka Ichiban

Washington, District of Columbia, US

/QUOTE: Couple of reasons... one is marketing and the other is that Nikon was asleep at wheel at the beginning of the digital age and they lost a lot of ground.

Except, Nikon was first to market in digital with the D1 in 1999, first to market a prosumer and consumer digital cameras with the D100 and the D50...

Canikon was pretty much 50/50 in the US for working pros and usually was split along certain industry lines. (Not taking in to account when Minolta was the choice for wedding photographers)

Canon was more aggressive with its marketing of lower end cameras in the 90's, mostly to the female demographic. Nikon being a more traditional company stayed way from said marketing until more recently.

I've shot with both systems in my 30+ year career, and finally gave up on both and went Fuji four years ago and haven't looked back. I got tired of the pissing contest, and perpetually worsening performance, QA issues and customer service from both of them.

May 21 15 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I hate to tell you, but Canon beat Nikon to the consumer market with the first digital rebel(I know because I was waiting for what would become the D70 at the time), and Canon also had pro and prosumer models before the D1 and D100. Nikon was technically making cameras, but they were Kodak-branded F4s and F5s, with Kodak chips and processors.

Nikon beat Canon to video though, and Olympus beat everybody to live view.

One of the disadvantages to being a reactive company like Canon is that you're never the first to do anything. They didn't even make the first full frame camera(again, Kodak) ... They just made the first full frame video camera. Unless you count actual video cameras.

But the advantage is that you get to see what everybody else is doing, and then try to do it better.

May 21 15 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Irwin Photographics

Tampa, Florida, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
One of the disadvantages to being a reactive company like Canon is that you're never the first to do anything. They didn't even make the first full frame camera(again, Kodak) ... They just made the first full frame video camera. Unless you count actual video cameras.

But the advantage is that you get to see what everybody else is doing, and then try to do it better.

This is what Apple does consistently and they do it well. Sometimes its not a bad thing to be the late comer on something new. Sometimes letting the competitor be the test dummy for new ideas can be beneficial to the wallet. wink

May 24 15 10:46 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Irwin Photographics wrote:
This is what Apple does consistently and they do it well. Sometimes its not a bad thing to be the late comer on something new. Sometimes letting the competitor be the test dummy for new ideas can be beneficial to the wallet. wink

I would suggest that Apple isn't really a good example of "following but doing it better".  wink

- Take a music player and give it an graphical touch computer operating system. Then give it apps (iTouch)

- Stuff a phone into that music player with an OS and apps (IPhone). Creating the entire SmartPhone category...

- Make it much larger and lose the phone (IPad).  Although this one was more of a factor in "popularizing" tablets.

Yes, the various technologies existed but they often combined them in such radical ways!

May 24 15 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Nakrani Studios

Apex, North Carolina, US

Nikon makes white lenses.....

May 24 15 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Nakrani Studios

Apex, North Carolina, US

Actually they are called "Silver".

https://www.nakranistudios.com/img/s6/v145/p599879333-6.jpg
https://www.nakranistudios.com/img/s12/v181/p602566684-6.jpg

May 24 15 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

LightDreams wrote:

I would suggest that Apple isn't really a good example of "following but doing it better".  wink

- Take a music player and give it an graphical touch computer operating system. Then give it apps (iTouch)

- Stuff a phone into that music player with an OS and apps (IPhone). Creating the entire SmartPhone category...

- Make it much larger and lose the phone (IPad).  Although this one was more of a factor in "popularizing" tablets.

Yes, the various technologies existed but they often combined them in such radical ways!

The iPod Touch was nothing more than a smaller Pocket PC, running a simplified OS.

Blackberry phones were also perfectly capable of playing music, and could play through a Bluetooth headset.

The tablet was another Pocket PC - this one larger, and not smaller.

The biggest leap forward was standardizing the products, so you could pick your size, and whether or not you wanted to add a phone line and a data plan to it.

May 24 15 05:13 pm Link