Forums > Photography Talk > Nikon selected as "Best Photography Brand"

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Nikon just one something called the "Which Awards."

CLICK HERE to read all about it.

Apparently this is the first time Nikon has ever won it.  Sony won it last year.

What I can't figure out is; what are the "Which Awards?"  I've really never heard of them before.  Has anyone ever heard of them?  I have no idea if the award even really means anything.

Jun 21 15 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

from article wrote:
last year's winner Panasonic

I think Nikon has emerged with a vengeance over the last couple years - stepping away from the pack.

But... Panasonic???

Jun 21 15 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:

I think Nikon has emerged with a vengeance over the last couple years - stepping away from the pack.

But... Panasonic???

Oops, my bad.  I was thinking Panasonic but typed Sony.  My brain was scrambled.  It was when I read that, that asked me what the award actually was.  It kind of made me wonder.

Jun 21 15 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

Sounds like the old wine industry scam.

Start up wine magazines/newsletters/blogs etc  pick a fairly decent wine and give it some corny award.  They know that the wine maker will give them free advertising by tagging their wines with "Winner 2014 Best small vineyard, LetMeBorrowYourCopierCode Wine News"

Jun 22 15 12:58 am Link

Photographer

E H

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Jun 22 15 01:37 am Link

Photographer

sthlm_nudeproject

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Oh I have always felt My shooting game beeing a little bit off, I guess i'll just get a Nikon and everything will be awesome!!!! big_smile

Jun 22 15 01:43 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I think Nikon is really a great company with many great products recently.  I shoot Nikon and really love it.  I also shoot Panasonic and am so blown away with how great the gh4 is I can't believe it is going to get better with a ne v-log and anamorphic lens.  Also new cinema lenses are being made just for the gh4.  How cool is that? Not just the regular 1 inch and 2 inch but 1/4 inch too.  Damn that's truly amazing.

gotta love anamorphic squeeze.  I forgot that it was Panasonic that invented it.

Jun 22 15 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

GPS Studio Services wrote:
What I can't figure out is; what are the "Which Awards?"  I've really never heard of them before.  Has anyone ever heard of them?  I have no idea if the award even really means anything.

"Which" is the name of the monthly magazine published by the UK Consumers' Association and I suspect that the awards may have something to do with that.  If so, it is a fairly heavy-duty endorsement because it has been made by a highly critical, truly independent body.

Jun 22 15 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

martin b wrote:
I think Nikon is really a great company with many great products recently.  I shoot Nikon and really love it.  I also shoot Panasonic and am so blown away with how great the gh4 is I can't believe it is going to get better with a ne v-log and anamorphic lens.  Also new cinema lenses are being made just for the gh4.  How cool is that? Not just the regular 1 inch and 2 inch but 1/4 inch too.  Damn that's truly amazing.

gotta love anamorphic squeeze.  I forgot that it was Panasonic that invented it.

The anamorphic format has been around for a long time before Panasonic used it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_format

Jun 22 15 07:50 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Which? UK sort of sounds like the USA version of Consumer Reports.

Jun 22 15 08:19 am Link

Photographer

martin b

wow, thanks for the correction.  That's a nice article.  I didn't know too much about it but I would love to shoot some.  There was an old Panasonic camera that used to shoot anamorphic squeeze.  I think the number was 100.  That was the first time I got to play with one.  I still vaguely remember it and want to try again. That was probably 20 years ago.

Jun 22 15 08:23 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Rob Photosby wrote:
"Which" is the name of the monthly magazine published by the UK Consumers' Association and I suspect that the awards may have something to do with that.  If so, it is a fairly heavy-duty endorsement because it has been made by a highly critical, truly independent body.

GRMACK wrote:
Which? UK sort of sounds like the USA version of Consumer Reports.

Thanks for that.  I was wondering who they were.

Jun 22 15 10:53 am Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

Sheesh!!!

That makes me, like, Genius!!!

Perhaps not.

My first real camera was a Nikkorex: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikkorex

LOL.

Currently, D800.

And I shoot video with the GH-3, while longing for the GH-4.

Because I did a lot of research.

RBD

And... if my posture looks funny, it's because I'm patting myself on the back.

LOL.

Jun 22 15 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

you have the same equipment as me.  I am selling my gh3 to get a g7 when it comes out.  I want the lighter weight and 4k.  I also have the d800 but had to sell a kidney to get the trinity. 

I am slumped over from the lost kidney.  not patting myself on the back.

Jun 23 15 05:11 am Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

If they are the UK version of Consumer Reports, does that mean they are also unreliable?

Jun 23 15 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

All I could think of was
                                      Chevy Vega      Motor Trend  Car of The Year

I don't put much faith in magazine picks.  Advertisers have too much influence, even if indirectly.

( reference in case anyone born after 1980 has never heard the name )

the-10-worst-automobiles-ever-produced
http://www.mandatory.com/2014/05/22/the … produced/6

Dishonorable Mention: The 10 Most Embarrassing Award Winners in Automotive History
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/di … ve-history

"The Chevy Vega is on everyone’s short list for Worst Car of All Time. It was so unreliable that it seemed the only time anyone saw a Vega on the road not puking out oily smoke was when it was being towed."

Jun 23 15 05:48 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

autocorrect fail.   Witch magazine.
started by the man found on the cover of Sergean Pepper`s Lonely Hearts Club Band. 
A. Crowley himself.

Jun 23 15 06:51 am Link

Photographer

TA Craft Photography

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

DwLPhoto wrote:
If they are the UK version of Consumer Reports, does that mean they are also unreliable?

Unreadable and unreliable.

Jun 23 15 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

"Finally, it should be as easy as possible to share photos shot with a camera. Wi-fi connectivity needs to be included as standard in the overwhelming majority of a manufacturers’ products."

What a bizarre criterion. Nice for selfies, photojournalists, and perhaps sports photographer, but portraits? Landscapes?  Nudes? It means sharing unedited images - "which" works for some genres, but not all.

Jun 23 15 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

photo212grapher wrote:
"Finally, it should be as easy as possible to share photos shot with a camera. Wi-fi connectivity needs to be included as standard in the overwhelming majority of a manufacturers’ products."

What a bizarre criterion. Nice for selfies, photojournalists, and perhaps sports photographer, but portraits? Landscapes?  Nudes? It means sharing unedited images - "which" works for some genres, but not all.

Tethered wireless shooting. You shoot, the images go to a computer, and your digital tech works on them. Or you can check focus and stuff before striking a set.

Not for sharing, granted, but it's the same technology.

Jun 23 15 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Kevin Connery wrote:

Tethered wireless shooting. You shoot, the images go to a computer, and your digital tech works on them. Or you can check focus and stuff before striking a set.

Not for sharing, granted, but it's the same technology.

Agreed, that's what's exciting about wireless in the future.
But the speed available from wireless for tethering, just isn't there yet with current technology. One typically wants images to not take much more than a second to come across in RAW and even with usb2 (usb3 can be unstable), it's still not quite there on a D800e.

Jun 23 15 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

photo212grapher wrote:

Also means being able to shoot tethered in wi-fi.
I love that my tablet and 70D talk to each other.
You can do the same with a Camranger for an extra $300.

Jun 24 15 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:

Agreed, that's what's exciting about wireless in the future.
But the speed available from wireless for tethering, just isn't there yet with current technology. One typically wants images to not take much more than a second to come across in RAW and even with usb2 (usb3 can be unstable), it's still not quite there on a D800e.

Tethered transfer of images is slow.
Tethered viewing is fast. Set to RAW + low JPG.
JPG's turn up on my tablet in 1-2.
rarely chimp the tablet, and usually just examine to see best of a series or if I got the shot.

Jun 24 15 12:42 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Herman Surkis wrote:

Tethered transfer of images is slow.
Tethered viewing is fast. Set to RAW + low JPG.
JPG's turn up on my tablet in 1-2.
rarely chimp the tablet, and usually just examine to see best of a series or if I got the shot.

Yeah - I do real tethered shooting (well, that meaning historically what's meant by tethered shooting), into Capture One Pro - so I'm transferring raw images into the real workflow - BTW - Capture One Pro also has a mobile app, so when images come in they can be sent to a tablet for instance that say a client or art director can be holding.

Jun 24 15 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Its nice for nikon. Never heard of the award before.

Jun 25 15 02:16 pm Link